Home The Bois Blanc Island Site
An interactive site for islanders and island lovers

Home  ::  Forum  ::  Album  ::   Calendar  ::  Memberlist  ::  Usergroups  ::  Register 
 Profile  :: FAQ  ::  Search  ::  Log in to check your private messages  ::  Log in 

Winter

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Bois Blanc Island Site Forum Index -> Introductions, Meet Your Fellow Islanders
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bruce Lord
Tavern Tennant
Tavern Tennant

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2002 7:57 pm    Post subject: Winter Reply with quote

I would like to here from someone on the island during the winter to fill me (us) in on snow conditions, snowmobile conditions, etc. I know it might get kinda boring up there, or maybe not But the information would prove useful on planning winter visits and would just be fun to know. Thanks Question
Al'sOtherSister
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2002 12:16 am    Post subject: That would be great! Reply with quote

I want to know when the ice bridge comes in...I do get inside info and will post any when it comes. My brother Al and Mike have set the path with Christmas trees some years. My bro Mike says whenever I want to come across he will come get me....lucky me! Very Happy
Al's Sister

PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2002 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One year on the first crossing, Al and Stacy went through the ice on the return trip about a mile offshore... The snowmobile and trailer dropped through and left them on top scrambling to gain purchase on the edges of the hole.. They struggled for a couple minutes before they remembered their pocket knives.. With the aid of the knives they managed to pull out of the water and then began jogging to shore to keep the heat up in their bodies. Once on shore they broke into Su Vanvorhees cabin and built a fire and called for help.. Stacy called me from there while they were still in the shiver stage. I remember it was hard to understand what he was saying and how scared I was at the close call they had!!

Not long after that, Stacy and I were crossing on a bright sunny day. We were traveling at top speed and at one point I looked around to spot Stacy and saw a black hole in the ice!! I let go of the snowmobile and dropped off it onto the ice and started to belly crawl back to the hole, screaming for Stacy! I cried with relief when I discovered the hole was a shadow of a cloud and Stacy was just fine; just out of my view when I looked behind. It's funny now! Stacy thought I had lost my mind!!

Remember to always stay with the tree crossing. That is checked for safety regularly. The wind and weather pushes the ice around.. Listen to the local radio or TV for ice conditions or ask at the airport or call Plaunts. They run the mail that way after ice in. Take a buddy and safety equipment.. Go really safe and wear a lifejacket if you are in doubt of ice. It's an awesome trip across! Maybe I'll see you at Bologni Point sometime!
Rob
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2002 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

#Shocked THAT'S A H O R R I B L E STORY! #Shocked

I have never felt comfortable snowmobiling on lakes. That story reaffirms my dislike. I don't think I'll ever have the guts to cross on the ice bridge now. Yuck.
Cindy Childs
Bois & Grills Club
Bois & Grills Club

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2003 3:35 pm    Post subject: Winter - Ice Bridge Reply with quote

Hi Bruce! Gary and I have been waiting for the bridge so we can go to the house...we have 3 sleds and you could ride mine over and I'd be happy to fly in!!!Just pick me up at the airport when you guys get across. That is as soon as the winter residents let us know there is a safe bridge. Very Happy
Cindy Childs
Bois & Grills Club
Bois & Grills Club

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2003 3:36 pm    Post subject: Winter - Ice Bridge Reply with quote

Hi Bruce! Gary and I have been waiting for the bridge so we can go to the house...we have 3 sleds and you could ride mine over and I'd be happy to fly in!!!Just pick me up at the airport when you guys get across. That is as soon as the winter residents let us know there is a safe bridge. Very Happy
Al'sOtherSister
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2003 9:14 pm    Post subject: So nice, you posted twice! Reply with quote

That is very nice of you. I don't know if I would prefer the airplane.... I think I would take my chances on the ice....... Laughing
Linda Kimball
Black Fly Bait

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2003 12:02 am    Post subject: Snow and Ice Update Reply with quote

The snow has been falling but not steadily enough to build the accumulation necessary for great snowmobiling. In other words, we have about 3 or 4 inches of snow, not enough yet to pull out and start up the snowmobiles.

The coast guard has been called and asked to give the 72 hour notice that will keep the freighters out of the channel. If we continue with the cold nights and below freezing days, the consensus is that we should have ice pretty soon. It's going to be rather lumpy but we can deal with it I'm sure.
Bob's friend
Stone Skipper

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2003 12:12 am    Post subject: ice bridge Reply with quote

I read in the Cheboygan paper that the waters will be closed to commercial boats Friday. They had some tips on crossing.
I am afraid that I will wait for the Ferry...yep...I am chicken.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Bois Blanc Island Site Forum Index -> Introductions, Meet Your Fellow Islanders All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: