Home The Bois Blanc Island Site
An interactive site for islanders and island lovers

Home  ::  Forum  ::  Album  ::   Calendar  ::  Memberlist  ::  Usergroups  ::  Register 
 Profile  :: FAQ  ::  Search  ::  Log in to check your private messages  ::  Log in 

Island Nurse Practioner

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Bois Blanc Island Site Forum Index -> Island & Island Related Businesses
View previous topic :: View next topic  
islandnana
Gold Coast Guest
Gold Coast Guest

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2006 9:19 pm    Post subject: Island Nurse Practioner Reply with quote

There is a nurse practioner on the island year round that comes in on Wednesdays...weather permitting in the winter. Sometimes in the summer she takes a week off.

As for snakes I have never seen too many of them. A lot of people have raised children on the island with not too many problems. It's a different way of life on the island and you'll either like it or you won't.
Rosemary
Bois & Grills Club
Bois & Grills Club

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2006 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OOPS

Sorry, I didn't know she came over in the winter.
theeislandgirl
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2006 12:23 am    Post subject: I Reply with quote

I think its so great that a nurse practioner comes to the island ..
Times have changed !!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
cal'sangel9
Hawks' Haunter
Hawks' Haunter

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2006 5:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the only snakes to be worried about seeing or agitating are water moccasins. no lie, i killed 17 with my grandpa in a week. something like 10 in one day, we moved a cement slab down by our shoreline, and there were two big ones and 7-8 baby ones. so being the loving and caring Christians we are, we shot them. ahhh, good times on the island with gramps! Very Happy i know they bite, but i dont know if they're poisonous, someone will tell you. other than that, just common water snakes if you're near the water, no biggie.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
bknoll
Pines Paramour
Pines Paramour

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2006 6:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you sure they were water mocs? I've read several times that the only poisonous snake in Michigan is the rattle snake.

Last edited by bknoll on Wed Apr 05, 2006 12:00 pm; edited 1 time in total
Al's Sister

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2006 6:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The water snakes aren't poisonous.. Only poisonous snake in Michigan that I'm aware of is the rattlesnake.. They would rather avoid you than confront you.. Smile
Charlie Trie
Birch Baby
Birch Baby

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2006 8:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cal'sangel9 wrote:
the only snakes to be worried about seeing or agitating are water moccasins. no lie, i killed 17 with my grandpa in a week. something like 10 in one day, we moved a cement slab down by our shoreline, and there were two big ones and 7-8 baby ones. so being the loving and caring Christians we are, we shot them. ahhh, good times on the island with gramps! Very Happy i know they bite, but i dont know if they're poisonous, someone will tell you. other than that, just common water snakes if you're near the water, no biggie.

I'm left speechless following this post.

'water moccasins'
'Christians'
'kill'
'loving'
'shot them'
'caring'

On BBI my greatest fear is idiots.
West End Piper
Pines Paramour
Pines Paramour

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2006 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Killing an animal needlessly, upsets me greatly. We don't even kill spiders in our cottage. We have a "spider-cup", to capture them and relocate them to the out of doors. We have a family of NORTHERN BROWN WATER SNAKES, that lives in the rocks, near the water's edge. My children have been taught to respect them, give them a wide berth, (especially when the snakes are swimming) and to be thankful to be able to view these beautiful creatures, as they sun themselves, or swim up and down the shore. We go about our activities, (including swimming) within 10 feet of these snakes, as they lay on the rocks, in the sun. Some of them are 3 feet long. They are lightish brown, with dark brown spots. They are non-poisonous. The snake book states that they are aggressive when cornered - DUH! (Who isn't?) They have an anti-coagulant in their saliva, that causes their prey to "bleed-out", when bitten. So, if you are bitten by one, the wound may bleed a bit, but they are basically harmless to humans. My cousin killed a large one once, thinking he was doing me a favor. It took every bit of restraint I could muster, to keep myself calm, as I explained to him, that these snakes were our "pets" and that we don't kill them, we enjoy their company. Visitors to my property, now get a mandatory "Do not harm nature" speech, upon arrival. I am so thankful to my parents for instilling, in me, a deep love and respect for all of nature's creatures. My wife and I are instilling that same appreciation in our children. We only wish that more parents would do the same.

Last edited by West End Piper on Wed Apr 05, 2006 10:50 am; edited 1 time in total
gene pluhar
Coast Comber
Coast Comber

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2006 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

why does man feel the need to control every single thing in front of him?!
i wish the control freeks would start with themselves!
we also taught our children the same respect for nature, all nature and that we were sharing a space not creating a kingdom where all living things are to serve our sick *hind end* needs! thanks west end piper for helping to turn things around with your children and shame on you christian snake killer! don't you just love the hypocrisy?
bknoll
Pines Paramour
Pines Paramour

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2006 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's the dirt on the snakes. Good information. Pay attention to the "Conservation" portion of the information.

http://www.michherp.org/nwaters.html
Conis
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2006 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

excerpted from Brads link above:

Quote:
Conservation: This is surely one of the most persecuted snake species in the Great Lakes region. People often kill Northern Water Snakes out of fear or ignorance, or in the belief that they reduce the numbers of game fish. Although these snakes will bite if cornered or seized, they are harmless if left alone. They are sometimes called "water moccasins" and erroneously assumed to be venomous. (The true "water moccasin" or Cottonmouth, Agkistrodon piscivorus. does not occur within the Great Lakes basin.)

Northern Water Snakes have little or no impact on sport fishing in natural bodies of water. They tend to eat smaller, slower-moving or injured fish, mostly species less desired by humans, and may actually improve fishing in some places by feeding on fish stunted by overpopulation, and by consuming dead or diseased fish. Being opportunistic feeders, Northern Water Snakes can be a problem in fish hatcheries and on fish farms, where their removal may be justified.

Unwarranted persecution, combined with shoreline development, has led to local extirpation of Northern Water Snakes in some areas. The Lake Erie Water Snake has proven particularly vulnerable to these problems, and they now are absent, or present only ih low numbers, on many of the islands where they were once common. Public education programs, combined with legal protection, would greatly benefit remaining populations of this unique race.

Every species of snake in Michigan does far more good than harm and deserves protection. There are no dangerous snakes in Michigan including the Mississauga rattler. It may be poisonous but isn't lethal or dangerous. People think that because they are "rattlesnakes" they deserve to die? If you are uncomfortable knowing one is around... move it. which requires no more effort than killing it.

You can make a "snake mover" for 50 cents from a piece of 1/2" pvc tube and 8 feet of clothsline. The closthline goes through the tube and back to make a noose on the "snake end". Noose over the head and draw it just tight enough to gently to lift the snake into a bag. Not rocket science and doesn't harm them. With the exception of a rattle snake, any other species can be handled with cotton work gloves, if it come to that.

You leave them alone and they leave you alone. Those who fear snakes don't understand them. Once you do understand them, they are facinating creatures which have a very valuable niche in the ecosystem.

C
John Elmer Engel
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2006 11:55 am    Post subject: Snakes Reply with quote

It is so good to hear how others feel about snakes. I'm on that page! Great comments.
West End Piper
Pines Paramour
Pines Paramour

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2006 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bknoll - Thanks for the informative link. That is the snake that we share our beach with. I hope that our little exchange will serve to educate our fellow islanders!
bknoll
Pines Paramour
Pines Paramour

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2006 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Remember this picture?? That is an example of how they are "opportunistic feeders".

G:\My Documents\My Pictures\album_pic.jpg
Squeaky
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2006 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is said that there is a nurse practioner on the Island... That she comes in on Wed. Does this mean she does not live on the Island or does this mean she comes in on Wed. during the winter and she is on the Island thru the summer months? Also, how would one reach her if needed? Direct contact to her?
shelby
Frequent Floater
Frequent Floater

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2006 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cynthia Butcher, nurse practitioner, operates a clinic from 9AM to 1PM every Wednesday. Cynthia comes to Bois Blanc courtesy of Mackinac County. She is terrific! Performs a host of minor procedures and writes prescriptions. You can walk in or arrange an appointment by calling 906-643-0400. I'm advised Medivacs will not land on a grass field. Our airstrip is now paved and extended to 3500 feet.
Shelby
Squeaky
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2006 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shelby, Thank You so much for the information. Is greatly appreciated.
boisblancgirl
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2006 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are NO water moccasins on the island!!!!! Just plain ole water snakes.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Bois Blanc Island Site Forum Index -> Island & Island Related Businesses All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: