Home The Bois Blanc Island Site
An interactive site for islanders and island lovers

Home  ::  Forum  ::  Album  ::   Calendar  ::  Memberlist  ::  Usergroups  ::  Register 
 Profile  :: FAQ  ::  Search  ::  Log in to check your private messages  ::  Log in 

info on the island

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Bois Blanc Island Site Forum Index -> Site/Forum Comments, Questions, Suggestions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mom2be
Black Fly Bait

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 5:43 pm    Post subject: info on the island Reply with quote

Me and my family are considering moving to the island, that is if my husband gets a job there. And I was just wondering a few things?

Is there a doctor on the island or do you have to go to cheboygan?

Is there any rental property that is not beyond reasonable price?

How bad is the rattlesnake problem there? I have a 7 month old and one on the way and im worried about the snakes.

So if anyone could please answer some of my questions I would appreciate the help.

Thank You.
Dan Reynolds
$$ Site Donor $$
$$ Site Donor $$

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

Have you and/or your husband visited BBI? If not, you definitely should spend some time on the Island before you consider moving there.

There's no doctor stationed on the Island, although I believe a doctor visits monthly during the tourist seasons (someone will correct me if I'm wrong). Rental property can be had at a fairly reasonable price if you're not worried about being on the lakeshore, although you may have to ask around a bit. Of course, if you're planning to move there, I assume you would end up buying property before long.

And the rattlesnakes are about what you would expect for a heavily wooded wilderness - always around, but you may go for a long time without seeing one. As long as very small children and small pets aren't allowed to be outdoors unsupervised, everything should be fine. But as you probably know already, BBI is a relatively desolate place, and your family needs to be prepared to deal with anything alone... There are few amenities, only one police officer (except in winter), one store, etc. so you can imagine the adjustments you might have to make.

If I may ask, what kind of work is your husband considering on BBI?

Welcome.
Dan

Last edited by Dan Reynolds on Mon Apr 03, 2006 9:34 pm; edited 1 time in total
Rosemary
Bois & Grills Club
Bois & Grills Club

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is not a doctor, but a nurse practioner, and I believe she is on the island every week during peek season.

There is an ambulance.
boisblancgirl
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2006 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Nurse/Practitioner is on the island every Wednesday, year round. She's the greatest thing that has ever happened to the island!!!! As far as the snakes go............this island has a bad rep for snakes. I've lived here all my life and have encountered about 1/2 dozen of them in my yard during all this time. I am very afraid of snakes and no matter where I walk, I'm always looking, but it's for snakes in general, not just rattle snakes. They are more prevalent in some places over here than in others, but I would hate to think that people won't come here because of rattle snakes. Really it's not what you think. We would love to have new people moving to the island fulltime, however, the job situation does present a problem. Without knowing what our husband does, it's hard to say whether you could make it or not. Any of us that do live here fulltime, would be glad to lend advise on how to prepare for the winter months. It's beautiful here in the winter if you like the cold and snow.

Are you connected with someone that already has property or a place here? Just wondering if I know them or not.

I hope it all works out for you!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
theeislandgirl
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2006 12:22 am    Post subject: as Reply with quote

I agree with Clover ...

I lived on the island too .. but had no real problem with snakes ..

I have lived in states where you have to becareful of spidows .. they could really put a hurt on you ....

but I was there a very long time before I ever seen one ... its like anywhere you live there are dangers of some sort but we just have to go with the flow ...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Bois Blanc Island Site Forum Index -> Site/Forum Comments, Questions, Suggestions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: