Home The Bois Blanc Island Site
An interactive site for islanders and island lovers

Home  ::  Forum  ::  Album  ::   Calendar  ::  Memberlist  ::  Usergroups  ::  Register 
 Profile  :: FAQ  ::  Search  ::  Log in to check your private messages  ::  Log in 

Shoreline attacks
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Bois Blanc Island Site Forum Index -> Conservation Corner
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Erica
Frequent Floater
Frequent Floater

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2006 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr. Engel, have you ever seen a show from Canada called "The Red Green Show"? It was supposed to take place in a tiny town called Possum Lake, near Port Asbestos. They had a character on there for a couple of years who was a urban professional who had bought a lot near the lake to build his summer home. The rest of the cast had a great time ridiculing him for not knowing how hard it is to build on a swamp, that mosquitos bite, and that his outdoor flood lights would be shot out in the dead of night. Maybe whoever ripped up the land near you was like that.
I keep wondering if maybe they hit financial problems and couldn't begin construction. You're right, the idea of clearing to the water is almost obsene, but to someone who hasn't really gotten what Bois Blanc is all about, it could be an action taken and later deeply regretted.
It's too bad we can't put in an "experience ordinance". "You must be able to prove that you have spent at least one month on Bois Blanc Island before you can be granted a building permit." It would give buyers time to look around, talk to regulars, learn that Dominos won't deliver, maybe learn what is really going on. If you crave civilization so much, please build somewhere else! If you can respect what you find, you're welcome!
me2
Lost Bouy

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2006 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

John,
It would have made more sense if my posts were not deleted two times before the third was aloud by "Hitler". Mini made the second post on this thread, stating he or she lost a lot of tree's due to wind damage. I wanted to make sure you realized it was nature that destroyed the tree's and not Mini and Mini was not labeled an "idiot" by you, if you were to come across the lot on one of your recon missions.
John Elmer Engel
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2006 1:22 pm    Post subject: Misunderstanding Me2 Reply with quote

I read the post about the windfall trees. Were these original trees that were exposed by thinning or were they part of an intact shoreline? The wind will take out trees, no doubt. The key is to not give it any help by messing with shoreline berms or flora. Both of these send a lot of wind over the top, so to speak.

By the way, Me2, I do not do recon missions. I do amble about the roads, and stoney beaches, and trails of the island. I paddle the inland and straits waters as often as I can. I observe the beauty. I photograph subjects that I like.

I don't know all the ins and outs of this forum's rules and regulations but I find it a bit bold of you to imply that someone is "Hitler" if your posts were somehow not allowed. Its been my expereience with this forums' administration that they address technical problems in a timely and friendly fashion.
Al's Sister

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2006 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very Happy Well! And now I see you are communicating.. Very Happy I will publicly apologize for trying to head off what I felt were antagonistic comments by deleting your posts, Me2.. Signed the nazi hitler.. Twisted Evil
John Elmer Engel
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2006 7:19 pm    Post subject: Red Green show Reply with quote

Erica, you made a valid point when you wondered if perhaps financial problems stopped the neighbor to my north from continuing his project. Although I doubt it, he was a superintendent of a school district somewhere, it could happen. And that is another reason that only the drive and site should be cleared initially. If financing falls through, at least the gashes can't be seen from the water/beaches/roads.
bknoll
Pines Paramour
Pines Paramour

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2006 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Leave it to one of those danged superintendents to make a mess and leave it for others to deal with! Boy, does that ever sound familiar.
Erica
Frequent Floater
Frequent Floater

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2006 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr. Engel, I couldn't agree with you more. I still wonder if the answer is to create some kind of "welcome" group. Maybe if we all paid a little more attention to new faces and made a point of giving a warm but realistic welcome, perspective buyers could make a better educated choice. I know people here buying property around Sandusky would feel very comfortable telling the contractor to plow the whole lot under before construction, site unseen. The whole area is already so built-up that it's a safe assumption that you wouldn't lose much.
"Lake view property" can mean so many different things! If the guy thought he was getting Sandusky only cheaper, he may have started on plans before realising BBI isn't like that. And can't be made like that. (I hope!)
There have been a lot of chats on here about what the future of BBI should be. What a property-owners rights are. Opionions vary wildly, but I think most of us agree we don't want to become Mackinac Island East. If we all are welcoming, and openly express what we like about BBI, maybe we'll get more Islanders who think before cutting.
Sissy
Syrup Seeker
Syrup Seeker

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2006 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr. Engel, I agree with you. Opionions vary greatly. We Islanders must be concerened with our Trees, our Island. Weekend visitors are not. How many time can you drive along the North Shore and inland and find junk all over the place at the camp sites and in the woods. I have picked it up many times and taken it home with my own trash, Why can't they? For Cryen out Loud, do they keep their own property looking like that? Rolling Eyes I have little concern for people who say; "it's just a tree" take it out.
Not my trees.... Protect at all costs is how I feel. Just a voice for the many TREES Exclamation
John Elmer Engel
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2006 8:17 pm    Post subject: shoreline Reply with quote

Thanks, for your comments, Sissy and Erica. The more I think about this topic the more clear it becomes to me. I truly believe that most people have this engrained vision of a structure looking out on water with little or nothing inbetween. No further thought. Got the dream inexspensive waterfront lot, clear it, build. Is there anything else?

1.) What about not clearing anything between the structure and the water?
2.) Leave the shoreline alone, totally.
3.) Create trails to the forest/beach edge by creating a path of least resistance and least impact to the land.
4.) Embrace the North, The Straits of Mackinaw, Lake Huron, The cedar trees, the Spruce Trees, The Balsam, The Maples, The Poples, the Birch, The Moss, The Lichens, The geography, NOT JUST THE WATER!

Common Courtesy means not leaving dozer piles on the property that neighbors have to look at. Common Courtesy means not letting wind blow into the neighbors lot line. It means that someone must speak up and be willing to be ridiculed by Real Estate Agents or Excavation folks, or those old time thinkers. Natural Beauty cannot be improved by cutting, clearing, dozing, or building.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Bois Blanc Island Site Forum Index -> Conservation Corner All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: