Home The Bois Blanc Island Site
An interactive site for islanders and island lovers

Home  ::  Forum  ::  Album  ::   Calendar  ::  Memberlist  ::  Usergroups  ::  Register 
 Profile  :: FAQ  ::  Search  ::  Log in to check your private messages  ::  Log in 

Roadside Clean up May 28,2006

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Bois Blanc Island Site Forum Index -> Island Events
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BISI
Stone Skipper

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2006 4:39 pm    Post subject: Roadside Clean up May 28,2006 Reply with quote

GET BISI !!

What: Roadside Clean up

When: 10:30am Sunday May 28, 2006

Where: Meet at the twp dock for collection bags and then pick up refuse along any BBI road.

Who: YOU !

How: The Bois Blanc Island Stewardship Institute (BISI pronounced busy) presents the first monthly roadside/beach clean up. All refuse collected in the provided bags must be returned to the township dock by 3pm for free disposal.

Thank you BBI TWP and the Coast Guard Chapel !

keep an eye out for the BISI Review, a monthly newsletter for the BBI community by the BBI community
Dan Reynolds
$$ Site Donor $$
$$ Site Donor $$

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2006 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awesome! We'll be there.

Dan
Al's Sister

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2006 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great! Cool
theeislandgirl
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2006 12:01 am    Post subject: I Reply with quote

I think this is a great idea !!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
West End Piper
Pines Paramour
Pines Paramour

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2006 7:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fantastic idea! I wish we could be there to help! Maybe we'll catch the next one. Very Happy
BISI
Stone Skipper

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2006 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Roadside Clean ups are monthly!

Then next event will be Saturday June 24, 2006
JessKidder
Frequent Floater
Frequent Floater

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2006 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will be there!
Ron Petersen
Lake Mary Muse
Lake Mary Muse

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2006 8:06 pm    Post subject: Road Side Cleanup Reply with quote

Hi My wife Marcia and I are hoping to come up over the 4th - If this happens, We will have a Golf Cart that is kinda made into a ATV with a box on the back - If it works out, we would participate in helping at that time if another one is planned - Let me know if this works out....Ron Petersen
I must like the island - I hardly pick up things in my own yard!!!
BISI
Stone Skipper

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2006 7:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The date for the July roadside cleanup has yet to be determined. Perhaps around the fourth would be a great time, considering the amount of people who will be up?
BISI
Stone Skipper

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2006 7:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The May roadside cleanup was a success! 5 wonderful people showed up to pick up refuse and we filled Plaunt's dumptruck!

We started at Iafrate's road west of the Pines and went all the way down Rocky Road.

The BBI twp just approved us to accept the refuse once a month free of charge at the transfer station! Very Happy

Keep an eye out for the BISI barrels soon to be placed at the various campsites on BBI. They will be there to ensure that campers properly dispose of garbage. BISI will also be conducting daily/periodic campsite checks to pick up any refuse left behind. BISI will be responsible for mainteance and emptying of the barrels.

BISI would also like to remind everyone that driving on the beach is illegal and extremely damaging to the ecosystems on the beach.
Al's Sister

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2006 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank You BISI for your proactive work!!!! Cool
Conis
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2006 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BISI wrote:
The May roadside cleanup was a success! 5 wonderful people showed up to pick up refuse and we filled Plaunt's dumptruck!

We started at Iafrate's road west of the Pines and went all the way down Rocky Road.

The BBI twp just approved us to accept the refuse once a month free of charge at the transfer station! Very Happy

Keep an eye out for the BISI barrels soon to be placed at the various campsites on BBI. They will be there to ensure that campers properly dispose of garbage. BISI will also be conducting daily/periodic campsite checks to pick up any refuse left behind. BISI will be responsible for mainteance and emptying of the barrels.

BISI would also like to remind everyone that driving on the beach is illegal and extremely damaging to the ecosystems on the beach.

I am profoundly glad this is getting organized and off the ground! Once I get a little better organized ( as in non-project free-time) on the island, I plan to contribute some time to this. My pickup and mule (vehicle) are available to transport to trash to the tranfer station, if so required.

Referencing the barrels at the campsights: I was wondering if any further consideration has been given to "special" garbage bags which might be sold on a non-profit donation basis to campers. Perhaps used to fund the real expenses of trash pick up, construction of picnic tables... whatever?

Also wondering if BISI pamphlets are being made available to campers so they understand it is a volunteer-non profit organization (soliciting support)?

Just ideas- I need to get back up to speed.
C
Squeaky
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2006 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Conis, Thanks for the info on the trash barrels at campsites. The idea of the trash bags sounds great too. This should help a whole lot at these campsites. Takes time but it looks as if things are looking up and moving forward. thumbs_up! But just be real careful when cleaning out these barrels. Have a great summer and hope you get your projects done. Take your time and enjoy!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Bois Blanc Island Site Forum Index -> Island Events All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: