Home The Bois Blanc Island Site
An interactive site for islanders and island lovers

Home  ::  Forum  ::  Album  ::   Calendar  ::  Memberlist  ::  Usergroups  ::  Register 
 Profile  :: FAQ  ::  Search  ::  Log in to check your private messages  ::  Log in 

Need Some Island Information

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Bois Blanc Island Site Forum Index -> Introductions, Meet Your Fellow Islanders
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dudash
Black Fly Bait

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2005 12:40 pm    Post subject: Need Some Island Information Reply with quote

Hi All,

I just found out about this site. It looks Great. As you may know, I have been coming to the island since 1980, and have property and a small compound on the west end, south side, just past the Hermann place. I am retiring from Ford Motor Co. at the end of July, and will be starting the process to build a cabin. So I am asking for some input on builers, and other associated craftspeople (concrete work, drywallers, plumbers, etc.), and willing workers who can help me accomplish my dream. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated. Also, who is the internet provider who serves the island, and is thee more than one. When I get the phone hooked up, I want to be able to go oline. Question Hope to see some of you later this summer.

Thanks,

Andy Dudash
doug miller
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2005 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am in the process of completing our cottage. I would be happy to discuss some of these things with you if you email me at millerdo@michigan.gov.
Al's Sister

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2005 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome Andy! I'm sure you'll find lots of helpful advise and links to the necessary peple.. I'm not sure about the internet provider but I'm glad you found the site. Cool
Rosemary
Bois & Grills Club
Bois & Grills Club

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2005 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is no Island Internet Server....have to use a phone card or have a Dish. Sad Block work done by Tom Bollen sp? He is on the Island now. Good luck!
Chris
Stone Skipper

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2005 6:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Andy,

I have an aol account that I use when I am there. Unfortunately, there are extra fees. You can either dial up to Cheboygan (long distance) or use aol's 800 number at 6 cents/minute (which is what I do). There are some options- they just cost a little more #Turn-l I don't mind, I am on the 'net as little as possible when I am there- that is the whole point of being there!

Chris
byg
Stone Skipper

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2005 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is SpeedNet offered near the island? I know they have an outfit in Alpena as well as Bridgeport. Some folks that I know who use it love it. Speeds of 1.5 - 2 MB d/l. Check out http://www.speednetllc.com/Wireless-Internet-Service-Area.htm . From the map it looks like BBI is barely out of range, but you never know what a few boosters from radio shack can do for you (or to ya!).

Dan

BTW - I just wanted to add that I hear ya on using the PC as little as possible on the island. I just told my friends (who own a cabin on th eisland) yesterday that when my ship comes in and I'm able to get a cabin on the island, the sign in front of my cabin will have a symbol of a computer with a red circle and line through it! Did I mention I work on/with computers all day?
Cindy Riker
Birch Baby
Birch Baby

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2005 7:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy,
Check out the "yellowpages" list on the home page of this website for some of the folks that might help with your building project. Not everyone is listed. So make certain to check out the various posters/flyers in the boats, Hawks, etc. when you come to the island. As far as internet service, depending on your line of sight, there are a few of us that have been fortunate to hook up with either BlazeConnect out of Cheboygan, (231-597-0376) or Starband (not certain of how to contact). I have Blaze. I'm living on the island now and work full time.....on a computer all day.
byg
Stone Skipper

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2005 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cindy,
Is Blaze Connect a broadband provider? What type of speeds do you see? What do you do for a living on your PC?

Just curious

Dan
Cindy Riker
Birch Baby
Birch Baby

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2005 7:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not certain whether or not Blaze is considered broadband. I have a direct line of sight to their tower in Cheboygan. To be it's similiar to cable modem. I get better response here than downstate with cable. Blaze is advertising DSL. Not certain if it's available on BBI. As far as my work...I'm a financial analyst supporting four VPs across the US. I track their sales, forecasts, quotas, commissions, etc. Most people think I'm retired since I live here full time. I'm busier than ever. But I have the best of all worlds.
byg
Stone Skipper

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2005 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
But I have the best of all worlds

Yes you do!
Kevin Gibbons
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2006 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Andy haven't talk to you in a long time. Wanted to let you know I have the hi end bocca built modular homes right out of Cheboygan might be a good alternitive for you. I also do in house financing on them. If you want call me at my office at 231-597-9811. I'm there from 9.00 to 5.00. I just started with the site too. Have a good day
Kevin
theeislandgirl
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2006 4:25 am    Post subject: Hi Reply with quote

Kevin ...

This is connie faye ... WELCOME TO THE SITE !! Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Al'sOtherSister
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2006 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kev Hey! Lisa here..nice to see ya here!
Kevin Gibbons
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2006 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Lisa and connie Faye Haven't seen you in a long time eather one of you Connie hows texas and do you come to the island any more. Tell John I said hi also.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Bois Blanc Island Site Forum Index -> Introductions, Meet Your Fellow Islanders All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: