Home The Bois Blanc Island Site
An interactive site for islanders and island lovers

Home  ::  Forum  ::  Album  ::   Calendar  ::  Memberlist  ::  Usergroups  ::  Register 
 Profile  :: FAQ  ::  Search  ::  Log in to check your private messages  ::  Log in 

Ambience and Zoning/ Hand in Hand?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Bois Blanc Island Site Forum Index -> Conservation Corner
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Squeaky
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2006 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Who plays "I SPY" on everyone's property? I know it is not called "I SPY" but can't think of what that person or person's is called.
Dan Reynolds
$$ Site Donor $$
$$ Site Donor $$

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2006 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, John... Your opinions are expressed for the sake of betterment, and mine are expressed simply for the sake of argument, and if we don't agree, it must be because I don't understand. Right? Wink

You're correct, no one is necessarily stepping on those particular rights on BBI - at least, not yet.

Do you happen to recall the person's name in the Crystal Beach issue? Just curious if it is indeed the same person of whom I spoke - sure doesn't sound like it. Although I was only 12 or 13, I remember his cabin, which was set back from the shore far enough to leave plenty of trees standing. I also seem to recall that he left his beach alone except for the narrow strip of gravel in question. Perhaps I am remembering wrong.

Education is indeed the key. But freedom has everything to do with it.

d.
John Elmer Engel
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2006 6:29 pm    Post subject: land discussion Reply with quote

Dan, there is a good chance that I don't understand.

I definitely did not mean to imply that you were arguing without purpose. I really appreciate your honest comments and opinions. I believe that putting our honest thoughts out there stimulates the ol' gray matter...and it widens horizons.

I am not going to mention any names. But the property I'm thinking of does have a lot of trees, mostly cedars, that have been meticulously trimmed up 12-15' to provide a view of the lake. He dragged an old bedspring, as I recall, to keep the undergrowth down. The property is very neat and does have a driveway to the open area of the beach. This man did leave many trees and that, to me, is a real plus.

I am pretty sure that a tractor or backhoe was used to move the gravel. It wasn't a small undertaking, as I understand it.

Final comment about the shoreline: My wish or dream would be that each shoreline land owner would, at least, live on the land in any shelter they choose for one or two years and simply trim branches to allow walking paths to the open area. If their building site was 100' from the open expanse, it would require 35 steps, or so, and BAM, they are in the open. If you think of it, shoreline property owners can have a cabin in the woods, concealed behind one of BBIs best natural gardens AND with 35 steps, a 24-7-12-365 view of the straits of Mackinaw.

Thanks for talking, Dan.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Bois Blanc Island Site Forum Index -> Conservation Corner All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5

Jump to: