Home The Bois Blanc Island Site
An interactive site for islanders and island lovers

Home  ::  Forum  ::  Album  ::   Calendar  ::  Memberlist  ::  Usergroups  ::  Register 
 Profile  :: FAQ  ::  Search  ::  Log in to check your private messages  ::  Log in 

Pending Lawsuit with Township
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Bois Blanc Island Site Forum Index -> BBI TOWN HALL
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Uncle Steve
$$ Site Donor $$
$$ Site Donor $$

Location: Big Rapids, MI and Eagle Ridge AKA Red Roof Inn (2006) ... East end BBI

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2006 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool Unless I have failed my civics classes many years ago.. Resident Taxpayers get to vote.. Non resident taxpayers do not get to vote..
Everyone and anyone may attend meetings or hearings, and if a straw pole is taken, they may show support or non support of an issue.. Bottom line " Homestead property owners " get to vote... 30-50 maybe, I donít know....

Uncle Steve
boisblancgirl
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2006 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First I want to say that no one is undermining all the hard work and long hours that the Planning Commission has done and do, but it doesn't mean that all the decisions they make and recommendations they give are correct or just. I know what kind of work goes into a job like that, but it is their job to give RECOMMENDTIONS, their word isn't law, and if they can't accept the alternatives to their decisions, then they shouldn't be on the Commission.

Secondly I want to say that Mike White says that his wife, being a Planning Commission Member and a Township Board Member, has to follow the Master Plan that they set. Well.................she didn't do that on the last 2 rezones that they approved for recommendation, because they were BOTH outside of the parameters they set and ADOPTED in their Master Plan.

I have lived on this island all of my life, and my husband and I have been a licensed contractor here for 20 years. We have worked out of our home on residential property, as most people over here do, and yes, my husband and I are the ones wanting to purchase a piece of property from the VanVoorhees Trust if it will be rezoned from Low Density Residential to Commercial II. The new Zoning Laws provide what you can and can't do on Commercial II property, but the Planning Commission failed to designate ANY area that could be used for a Commercial II zone.

Here is the short version of our story:

Due to the new changes in the Zoning Laws, we decided to put our house and residential property up for sale and look for some suitable property to purchase that could be rezoned to Commercial II property. We found some that we and many, many other people thought would be the perfect place to do this.
In June of 2005, the VanVoorhees Trust applied for a rezone. The Planning Commission ASKED their Zoning Official to go visit the sight to find out all the particulars and report back to them with his recommendation. Which he did. He highly recommended the rezone. The Planning Commission didn't like his recommendation and recommended that the Township Board deny the rezone. It's funny how they didn't accept the his recommendation, but they wanted the Township Board to accept theirrecommendation.
After reviewing all the particulars, the Township Board stated that they did appreciate all the hard work that they do but in this instance disagreed with the Planning Commissions recommendation and approved the rezone.
This upset Lani White and she filed for a petition for referendum. After getting her signatures and turning it into the Clerk, the Clerk received a letter of protest concerning the wording on the petition. After receiving 2 different letters from 2 different attorneys, one of which was the township attorney, stating that there was confusion on the wording and that the people may not be sure of what they were voting on, the Clerk invalidated the petition, being her job to do so or not.
This also upset Lani White, Fran Vallely, and Bill Heinlen and so issued the lawsuit.

All we are trying to do is nip a problem in the bud before it becomes a major detriment to our business. With the new zoning laws, we are in violation, and want to correct it, however, Planning is not willing to work with us. It's not like we are new people coming to the island and trying to start a Walmart , we are trying to prepare to live by the new laws in a zone that permits our business. It's our livlihood here and we stand to loose much if we can't operate our business.

I resent the remark that was made that we were doing this for a monatary reason. We are trying to comply!!!! And the Planning Commission won't help us work it out.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
boisblancgirl
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2006 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I forgot to also state that if you are planning on retiring and coming to the island to start a small business, you can be sure that you will have some huge hurdles to jump. We have been working at this since June of last year, and it ain't over yet!!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Conis
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2006 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Folks... I have read all though these posts. Trust me, I am not going into BBI politics, interests, opinions, whatever.

What strikes me here is how this information, news, facts are coming to a forefront in bits an pieces as the "volcano erupts", all after the fact? How are straw polls and surveys to be conducted when 95% of the island taxpayers are in the dark as to local government workings?

Publishing current BBI planning, zoning, meeting minutes etc is not some monumental task. Nor should this info be a pay-per-view secret. There are document scanners that can translate a 100 page type written document to .HTML, .PDF, MS .DOC or any other format in minutes, direct.

Send them to me and I would be glad to invest an hours effort put bring them on line. I am offering no more than a service to everyone who pays taxes on the island. This is public information we should not have to pay to get, or be deprived of by absence.

If there is some reason this public information should not be posted and made available to all, please enlighten me?

(edited for clarification)

Last edited by Conis on Sat Apr 15, 2006 8:16 am; edited 1 time in total
Rob
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2006 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As has been mentioned previously, I have limited free time. However, I have lots of unused disc space and bandwidth. Nothing would please me more than to see this place evolve. I have wanted to invite/include twp board and island assoc members to participate. It sounds like we have a volunteer or two offering their expertise to get the documents published here. Who will be responsible for getting the info to the volunteers?

Bring it on...

http://www.bridge-view.net
Al's Sister

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2006 6:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you, Rob.. The time factor concerned me. I wasn't sure about space and am glad to hear there is plenty of room! I wasn't trying to squelsh the idea, Conis. Just a heads up about the cart before the horse thing.. Very Happy
mikewhite
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2006 7:53 am    Post subject: Thanks Reply with quote

I would like to thank Shelby for making plain what I was trying to say.
Thanks everyone for tuning in to my explanation, from my point of view, of what is pending.

The Master Plan was for sale at Fun Day and I bought it for $16 in July 2002 so I would be informed.

If there is a vote on the issue, vote if you can. If you can't vote, try to get a voter to vote your way. That is all you can do. I got the info to you in advance, so, you have no excuse.

A reminder. If you do not like the Master Plan, get involved this summer with its revision. I got that info to you in advance, no excuses.

My aunt was the only one who responded to my teaser about making the area from the cemetary to Sand Bay curve commercial. Planning will have to allow that in the future because making the north side of Westcott Curve commercial will set precedent. That is what happened with the other parcels that Clover was referring to. When a landowner says, why can't my property be commercial when my neighbors is commercial, Planning usually approves it.

Good luck on trying to get information faster.
John Elmer Engel
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2006 7:54 am    Post subject: township meeting Reply with quote

According to my calendar, there was supposed to be a township meeting April 12 at 4 pm. Anyone have any info about it? Did it take place?
Conis
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2006 8:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rob, Thanks for the input. We'll discuss this further , best way, when you have time

Susie. I am there with the cart horse issue. I am not trying to push the cart. This website is the closest thing we have to an "island newspaper" and even better than that because it is interactive.

With modern document scanning equipment, stripping text can be done at lightning speed and instantly converted to any format. This isn't a problem at all. I can handle this and keep things updated as they come along.

What seems critically important is that any/all public documents be made available to all taxpayers on the island because WE are the ones affected. We shouldn't have to pay for this information? Many don't even know this information exists? How are we supposed to comply or understand if uninformed?

And with this may come comments, discussions, agreements and disagreements. Whatever. I am not editing, or endorsing content just offering my services to make best use of this medium.

As soon as I am provided with current zoning regs, plan booklet and any /all other relevent PUBLIC twp information, I will see it gets posted ASAP.
boisblancgirl
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2006 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike,

BUT they violated their Master Plan by doing so. They enlarged a commercial zone OUTSIDE of the parameters they set!!! Why can't you see that? They will violate it for some people but not for others. They are unfair and biased.

Your reference to this particular piece of property being rezoned to commercial will set a precedent for the adjoining land owners to be rezoned and that the Planning Commission would HAVE to allow future rezones, then in the same paragraph you say that Planning USUALLY approves a rezone next to a like zone. Which is it.....HAVE TO or USUALLY?? You can't have it both ways.

The Planning created this problem by not having commercial II area available and are refusing to try and help resolve this issue, they want applicants to wait and are being held hostage until they decide when and where it will be, and that could be until who knows when!!!
Squeaky
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2006 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

boisblancgirl, Thank You for your input on Fri. April 14. Very interesting!
Squeaky
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2006 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Listen to Conis as he knows what he is talking about.

I read somewhere back that there is an Island Association? Is this like our new housing associations in our new housing developments? Maybe I read that wrong?
Rob
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2006 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is/was the island assoc. site which was run by Bunker Clark.

http://web.archive.org/web/20040220105820/http://people.ku.edu/~bclark/boisblanc.html

As stated previously, I'd be glad to host the island assoc info here.

http://www.bridge-view.net
John Elmer Engel
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2006 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Squeaky wrote:
boisblancgirl, Thank You for your input on Fri. April 14. Very interesting!

If there was a meeting, maybe somebody could mention an item or two. This meeting Date was mentioned, I think, on this site some time ago.

Anywho, maybe somebody can tell us what's up.
John Elmer Engel
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2006 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Squeaky, I misunderstood your quote. I see that you weren't even talking to me. Duh. Sorry.
mikewhite
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2006 4:37 pm    Post subject: You will get to vote on the issue! Reply with quote

At a closed session of a special township meeting held this past Friday, it was decided not to take the lawsuit to court. That means that there will be a vote on the issue of whether the property will become commercial II or stay low density residential. It is too late for a vote this August. It will be voted on in November, I think.

I think the township has made a wise decision in allowing this to go forward. Now each side must get out and make their views known. Begin politicking!
wine country
Memory Maker
Memory Maker

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2006 8:47 pm    Post subject: Pending lawsuit with township Reply with quote

I would say that Rob has a great idea on posting the association news and notes on this web site!!! It appears more and more that this has become a place of the meeting of the minds..That is just the way things go...I for one have not seen nor heard of a good fish story posted on here for quite some time....Majority rules i guess....Regards, Kevin....
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Bois Blanc Island Site Forum Index -> BBI TOWN HALL All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: