Home The Bois Blanc Island Site
An interactive site for islanders and island lovers

Home  ::  Forum  ::  Album  ::   Calendar  ::  Memberlist  ::  Usergroups  ::  Register 
 Profile  :: FAQ  ::  Search  ::  Log in to check your private messages  ::  Log in 

New Member Introduction
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Bois Blanc Island Site Forum Index -> Introductions, Meet Your Fellow Islanders
View previous topic :: View next topic  
boisblancgirl
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2005 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have never heard of any human getting bitten by a rattler over here. We did have a neighbor one time whose dog got bitten, but it was a very small dog, he got pretty sick and nearly died, but he didn't. These snakes are not nearly as venimous as the snakes in the south.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Al's favorite sister
Frequent Floater
Frequent Floater

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2005 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Everyone, You don't hear from me much but I'm always listening.
Laughing
I had a cat come up missing on the island about 10 years ago. At sand Bay. His name was sixpaw, he was white with 6 toes on his front paws. He was around for most of the summer until he did not come back. I think it was either Coyotes or Bobcat. We know the island supports them. Coyotes are like dogs I am sure they chase cats. We have proof of the Bobcat with the pic that Su took of Cayla with it, at her folks house on the island. My daughter Cayla befriended a Bobcat a few years back. I am sure that Bobcats will fight with domestic cats. Most cats love to fight, its in their genes. So I think a domestic cat on the island who is allowed to run free is live bait and doesn't stand a chance. As for the rattlers they are afraid and do not go looking for trouble. Anyone with a small dog should expect a possible confrontation if they let their dog run. Smile
Rob
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2005 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Al's Little Sis! You've got a pic of Cayla and a bobcat and you haven't shared it with the rest of us?!?!?! #Bad Talk :rant: Slap Shrug #Cussing out confused #Puppy dog

http://www.bridge-view.net
islandnana
Gold Coast Guest
Gold Coast Guest

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2005 6:32 pm    Post subject: Rattlesnake Bite Reply with quote

To boisblancgirl who recalls no human snake bites on Boblo...... I was told by Ila Heck on the east end that as a child she was bitten by a rattlesnake here and therefore didn't return here for years.
Al's Sister

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2005 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I should get head slaps too! Laughing Cayla had the picture made up for Christmas cards that year and quit a few of us have one.. Guess I had better start digging.. Laughing
boisblancgirl
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2005 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And how many years ago was this supposed to have happened, Islandnana?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
islandnana
Gold Coast Guest
Gold Coast Guest

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2005 6:02 pm    Post subject: snake bite Reply with quote

boisblancgirl wrote:
And how many years ago was this supposed to have happened, Islandnana?

Ila Heck was biten by a rattlesnake as a child. I do not know how old she is but you could ask her yourself. She is currently here on the island at the old stone house on the east end. She is the Mother of Tom Faulkner.
boisblancgirl
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2005 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, it's not necessary to ask her. It's not that I don't believe it, it's just that I said in the 50 years that I've been here, I never heard of any human getting bitten by a rattlesnake. And so now I've heard of one person...........that's not bad odds for over 50 years, wouldn't ya say?
Dave Coombs
Lost Bouy

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2005 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Boismatized,
My family and I were on the island two weeks ago. During that trip my English Springer Spaniel was bitten by a rattlesnake. Here snout swelled up like a balloon. I got on the internet and found out that the treatment that a vet would probably prescribe for a dog bitten by a rattler would be to administer diphenhydramine hydrochloride (e.g. Benadryl) and keep the animal quite. We scaled the dosage for her weight and gave her a dose at night and then again in the morning. She threw up once that night, but within 24 hours was her normal wacky self. We were thankful that we had a fairly extensive first aid kit and that Schatzie pulled through just fine.

Hope this helps.
Dave Coombs

P.S. Benadryl is NOT usually recommended for human rattlesnake bites.
Kevin Gibbons
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2006 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

that is a good question clover have you heard of anyone ever getting bit by a rattler because I can't remember anyone. But the hunting is not bad on the Island some years better then others altho the deer herd has gone down thats for sure there is the doe permits along with everything else which has cut down our herd. But I have always got a buck in at least the last 10 yrs even last year with all that wind.
Al's Sister

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2006 6:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

After years and being reminded on occassion I have located that picture of Cayla and Bob the Bobcat... Bob is deceased now.. Bet Cayla misses him still.. ęSu VanVoorhees.. (hope I spelled that right.. )

Cindy Childs
Bois & Grills Club
Bois & Grills Club

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2006 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

From the north east end, we hear and see coyotes, more frequently than we'd like to. 2004 we heard them grab a deer in the wetlands outfront, poor thing was screaming and the noise they made was not a little yip noise, it makes the hair stand up on your neck. the island has several colonies of coyotes, since the only predator for them is man. And the season is short. As for snakes, I've posted before we see about one per weekend, not the same snake, in different locations, but usually off of the north shore near the swamps and by our house, the boat launch and wetlands. on the east end of the lake, where the old beaver huts are, if you get out and walk through the lowlands you'll see them sunning in the open spots. They are reclusive and will get out of your way if given the chance. The biggest rattlesnake we've seen was out firetower road just before it comes in to the north shore, and it was alive! Mostly they are smaller, but we do have an aggressive water snake that tries to look like a rattlesnake. Look closer and you see it isn't.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Bois Blanc Island Site Forum Index -> Introductions, Meet Your Fellow Islanders All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: