Home The Bois Blanc Island Site
An interactive site for islanders and island lovers

Home  ::  Forum  ::  Album  ::   Calendar  ::  Memberlist  ::  Usergroups  ::  Register 
 Profile  :: FAQ  ::  Search  ::  Log in to check your private messages  ::  Log in 

land
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Bois Blanc Island Site Forum Index -> Conservation Corner
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ron Petersen
Lake Mary Muse
Lake Mary Muse

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2006 6:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kevin - At my age, I would be happy to sit at the bar and talk about how I used to play the game - I don't think I could run around the bases Laughing
Kevin Gibbons
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2006 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ron I think you are right I could still pitch fast pitch maybe to one batter but I don't think anybody would be that dumb to stand in the batters box and let me pitch to them any more. After one I would just die. (Heart falure)
Ron Petersen
Lake Mary Muse
Lake Mary Muse

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2006 6:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to pitch fast pitch, but even back then my "heater" looked like a change up!!! Very Happy
Conis
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2006 4:47 pm    Post subject: POWER LINES Reply with quote

Been incommunicato... Been on the island more than not... NO PC.

Power lines: Buried lines make far more sense, especially on BBI with wind storms. Less invasive to install as well. I think the going rate is now $5-6 per foot. The price of copper isn't going down so if you are going to do this, cheaper now than later.

One trip over, I had an interesting talk with a guy from PIE&G about all of this. He told me that they are now required to bore under public roads (as opposed to cutting a trench across one) which can really raise the cost.

PIE&G is a customer owned electric coop and in fact a sister co-op of Tri County, which I am on here, midstate. I assume they operate in a similar manner.

It is the elect. companies obligation to maintain all overhead line as far as your meter. If you need limbs cut or tress taken out up to 30' either side of a line, call them and get on "the list". No charge for this. They will add you to the "trim list" next time they send a tree crew out. If you spot a problem on adjacent property, they will contact the landowner for access permission.

I do recommend you be there when they trim rather than give them free reign to cut whatever they want. The tree guys get paid by the hour as sub contractors so obviously, the bigger the job and more trees cut, the more they make.

Around here, Tri County (tree trimmers) used to be quite sensitive to keeping trim jobs on private land to the minimum required. No chemicals either. They have some new director now , formerly from North Dakota who really hates trees... so expect a 60' wide clear cut down a powerline unless you are on site to dictate otherwise. I have no idea what the practices of PIE&G are aas far as max or minimum line trimming, is... But this is just a heads up as far as what might happen if sub contracted tree crews are allowed in, unsupervised.

The downside to buried cable (besides initial expense) is potential failure. It seldom fails but if it does it has to be replaced. No way to tell where it shorted, broke or whatever. Overhead lines can be visually inspected and they are, frequently. Always a trade off.

I had a situation where I was going to place my meter by the pole which has the transformer and run underground to two buildings . Getting rid of 500' of overhead cable and two poles in my yard. It would have cost me a couple grand and big mess. Plus since the UG cables were below the meter, if it failed, it was my problem. Decided against it. If it isn't broke, don't fix it.

Presque Isle Elect. (Onaway) is who you need to deal with on all of the above.

C
theeislandgirl
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2006 11:26 pm    Post subject: Well Reply with quote

So Susie you will work at the bar all summer .... you will like that since you love the island so ....

Ron Peterson ... Sure would like to meet your wife .. never known she went to the island but I have not been there except for short periods and long time in between .....

Have a wonderful time Exclamation Very Happy .. wish I could liston to the music and see ole friends and met new ones !!..its been a very long time ... since I hit the island bar ....
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Bois Blanc Island Site Forum Index -> Conservation Corner All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: