Home The Bois Blanc Island Site
An interactive site for islanders and island lovers

Home  ::  Forum  ::  Album  ::   Calendar  ::  Memberlist  ::  Usergroups  ::  Register 
 Profile  :: FAQ  ::  Search  ::  Log in to check your private messages  ::  Log in 

DNR
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Bois Blanc Island Site Forum Index -> Conservation Corner
View previous topic :: View next topic  
joe
Hawks' Haunter
Hawks' Haunter

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2006 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm looking for a little clarification here. How does unlimited shooting of does result in a ratio of 20 does to 1 buck? And Kevin, if I hunt hard for the season and shoot a doe I can't figure how that puts me in the" not a hunter" camp. Maybe you guys are hunting a lot better area than I am, since I've had seasons where I saw next to no deer. Does are easy? Let me know where things are so much better up there and I'll be right over. I'm not trying to be a jerk, I just want to understand.

Joe
Conis
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2006 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK... clarification is in order.

I am not speaking of BBI, but of farm country here mid state where the farmers and auto insurance folks would be more than happy to see the deer herd totally exterminated. And the DNR seems to be obliging their wishes.

We have basically wide open and unlimited doe permits from the beginning of bow season to the end of the year. So "if its brown it's down" and along with the does go the button bucks and spikes. Any uneducated twinkie bucks easily identified as bucks get whacked too. A 1-20 buck to doe ratio may be optimistic. Decent respectable surviving bucks, say 8pt and up, may be down to 1-2 per section. At least thats what has happened around here after 10 years of carte blanche deer shooting.

Shooting a doe requires as much hunting skill as shooting a rabbit. I have shot a few myself, for the meat and no other reason. Deer Hunting around these parts is a thing of the past. But there are still deer to shoot if thats what flotes your boat.

Shoot a doe and you not only take that deer but 1-2 fawns it would have produced in the following spring.

Last edited by Conis on Wed Jul 26, 2006 8:49 pm; edited 2 times in total
Kevin Gibbons
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2006 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joe I shot a six point last year opening day and that was the last deer I saw for 4 days but we were getting a lot of wind which drove them down into the swamps and thats were they stayed for a week. But I see does just about every day and I have for the last quite a few years. Shooting does isn't hard. Do you need meat that bad that you have to shoot a doe, I don't. Be sides a couple years ago I had a yearling that I was feeding baked apples to. That I was cooking over my heater. The yearling was taking them right off my shooting window in my blind. And Joe I don't think you are a jerk for what you are saying. You will always have a doe ratio a lot higher then bucks but it will even be higher if you shoot the does not lower. The DNR got us thinking that way it isn't right. Every time you kill a doe you kill 3 deer just that year. It could be two bucks and one doe or it could be 3 does, the point is you need does to produce bucks and every time we shoot a doe less bucks. Shooting a doe doesn't make it a lower doe to buck ratio it makes a bigger ratio. Joe don't take me wrong on what I'm going to say because I don't know you or your hunting ability but I would be in the area I wanted to hunt a week before season and look for scrapes and rubs and fresh runways. If you have this you are in a good area but if you don't I would look for a different area remember deer are creature of habit they do the same thing just about every day. I look for acorns and there natural feed is it a good year for that if it is you will find deer there . The bad whether is a lot of wind that will drive the deer into the swumps and they won't move. I like to hunt natural runways where I have three meeting. And I hunt the same spot all season.
veva
Frequent Floater
Frequent Floater

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 7:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The real gems of the baiting gang,are the ones that are so cheap they take their left over bait home. Those people probably just hate to see fat deer.

I hope baiting will be baned everywhere. It is not hunting and gives true hunters a bad image.

Veva
Conis
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

veva wrote:
The real gems of the baiting gang,are the ones that are so cheap they take their left over bait home. Those people probably just hate to see fat deer.

I hope baiting will be baned everywhere. It is not hunting and gives true hunters a bad image.

Amen. Several states have banned baiting and finally wised up. Causes nothing but problems. The practice has ruined the sport and made it really difficult for the minority that still hunt.

My take is: If the DNR bans baiting which may then require deer to be hunted instead of shot with a beet hanging out of their mouth, then interest will drop off since the shooters don't know how to hunt. And license sales go down.

And deer numbers climb? And the farmers and auto insurance companies start howling.

It is always about "the money".
theeislandgirl
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 10:29 am    Post subject: Deer Reply with quote

Kevin .. in the page before this one you said conis was long winded and you said you did not mean any thing by it ... I got a chuckle over that one ... because he sure is long winded... I agree with you ..
I just wanted to say that I really have learned alot from him and enjoy his posts .....
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Conis
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok. Here is a short one.
Kevin Gibbons
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Conis I don't belive you did that post to short. There has to be something else you can say in there. I take it from your post that you don't like to hunt or fish anymore. Is this true
Conis
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok.
Conis
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just obtained a DNR 2006 Antlerless Deer hunting pamphlet which I am decoding and deciphering. I may have to fwd it to the CIA for clarification.

It looks like several new limits and restrictions on doe permits.

Public land (including BBI) by lottery only between 7/15 and 8/15. Private land 40 acres minimum, telephone # required. , 3 permits per year total with no more than 2 permits in zones 1 (UP)and 2 (NLP) combined.

I need to re read it 46 more times.
TDC
Spartan-1
Pines Paramour
Pines Paramour

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dr. Conis!!!
When you figure out the Deer catalog from the DNR, be kind and explain to me soo I don't waste my hunting time on that darn book!!! Also, if you wouldn't mind.... get the 06/07 turkey pamphlet and disect that for us too!!!
BUT if you can figure out the waterfowl BIBLE, that would go a long way in convincing me you are a GENIUS, and proving you should be the new code breaker for the site!!!
Best of Luck.
Conis
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually I am halfway through the 2003 trout fishing guide so take a number.

I sent that to the CIA and they didn't get it so they sent it to the KGB, then it went to China... I think they sent it to Iran which might have something to do with the middle east situation as things stand.

It is a communication problem?
Spartan-1
Pines Paramour
Pines Paramour

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Classic!!!
Conis
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, I am up to read 21 and have gleaned the additional information:

The BBI DMU (deer management unit) is #149, z1, sector 436b.
The Report Poaching number is 800 292 7800.
Applicants must be at least 10 years of age and posess a valid Michigan drivers license.
Applicants under the age of 10 are not permitted to shoot from moving tricycles.

I am still decoding
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Bois Blanc Island Site Forum Index -> Conservation Corner All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: