Home The Bois Blanc Island Site
An interactive site for islanders and island lovers

Home  ::  Forum  ::  Album  ::   Calendar  ::  Memberlist  ::  Usergroups  ::  Register 
 Profile  :: FAQ  ::  Search  ::  Log in to check your private messages  ::  Log in 

Hello y'all

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Bois Blanc Island Site Forum Index -> Introductions, Meet Your Fellow Islanders
View previous topic :: View next topic  
zyzzx
Black Fly Bait

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2002 2:45 am    Post subject: Hello y'all Reply with quote

Hi everyone,

My name is Rich Goodin. Been coming to the Island since 1951 (guess I like it a little) ! My wife Betty has been coming since we got married in 1960 (she likes it too). We live in California and are retired now so we get to spend the entire summer on Boblo. Our place is in Sand Bay. Last of the 5 cottages at the end of the road. Come on down and say hi. We're usually there either relaxing or working some project. Its a good life!!!
A.C. Haeffner
Coast Comber
Coast Comber

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2002 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, Rich:

Welcome to the site. It's a great spot, and getting better every day as more folks find it. I myself found it last week.

I first visited the Island in the early '50s, when I was a wee lad. Went there for several summers, and then not for a long time. I re-embraced it in the mid-90s, and have gone every summer since, squeezing in at least a couple of weeks annually. My wife Susan and I rent in the Pines, at two different spots -- the Marconi Place and Curt Plaunt's White Rose.

My oldest brother, Bob, and his wife came up three summers ago at our urging and now make the trek annually from their Florida home.

As you know, there is no place else like Bois Blanc. The very spirit of the place gets into you and stays. I can visit it in my mind at a moment's notice -- feel it wrap around me. That helps get me through our bleak Upstate New York winters.

I'm pleased to see there have been a number of efforts to capture the Island's charm in the pages of books recently. I point in particular to Jim Vosper's wonderful "Island Boyhood." I myself have told Island stories in three books: "Island Nights," "The Islander" and "Cabins in the Mist." There was also Rich Baldwin's mystery set on Bois Blanc, published last year.

I'll be deviating a little from that trend in another novel out this next spring called "The Maiden of Mackinac," which by its title pretty much tells you the geographic focus. But Bois Blanc plays a key role once again.

I envy you the time you have on the Island. I would love to spend an entire summer as you do. If I did, I suspect I would do something crazy like interview folks for an oral history of the place. But I haven't the financial wherewithal, I'm afraid. Maybe somebody else can take up that cause.

Anyway, next time I'm up there, I'll try to get out your way and say howdy. I'd love to meet you. In the meantime, have a great winter.

Charlie Haeffner
Odessa, NY
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Rob
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2002 11:21 am    Post subject: Welcome Reply with quote

Hi Rich,

Welcome to the forum, glad you're here. I'm really happy to see more people joining the board here. I hope you'll check in often and add your thoughts/comments on the various topics being discussed here. I too am envious of the time you get to spend on the island, but I guess at 37 yrs old I haven't paid my dues yet. Smile

Thanks for stopping in, stop back often.
Rob
Al'sOtherSister
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2002 5:16 am    Post subject: Hello! Reply with quote

So good to see so many join us...Welcome!

Last edited by Al'sOtherSister on Thu Sep 26, 2002 8:09 pm; edited 1 time in total
Al's Sister

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2002 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You also must have a copy of my Grandma's poems, God's Country Up North by Ila Kimball-Calkins. I may be bias but she captured the spirit of the Island for me! Her book is also available at Hawk's. The big dining room table at the Palmer house was my mother's and we are proud it lives there now... I will post a poem or two at a later time....
island turtle
Memory Maker
Memory Maker

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2003 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, Rich (and Betty)!
Good to see you here! How's CA?
doug miller
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2003 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think an oral history is a great idea. Maybe that camera I suggest in another forum (!) could be used to record recollections of Island life by people who have been around a while. Seriously, it would be a good project at some point.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Bois Blanc Island Site Forum Index -> Introductions, Meet Your Fellow Islanders All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: