Home The Bois Blanc Island Site
An interactive site for islanders and island lovers

Home  ::  Forum  ::  Album  ::   Calendar  ::  Memberlist  ::  Usergroups  ::  Register 
 Profile  :: FAQ  ::  Search  ::  Log in to check your private messages  ::  Log in 

I have posted some photos.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Bois Blanc Island Site Forum Index -> Conservation Corner
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Conis
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2006 1:06 pm    Post subject: I have posted some photos. Reply with quote

Thanks to those who have expressed an interest in my Grandfather "Claude" who was a Conservation Officer in Michigan from around 1931-32 to about 1951 or so.

Photos are worth 1000 words. I tried to pick out a few that showed the era, what he did... and were more than group pictures (perhaps of interest mostly to myself?)

I have many more... but this enough for now. With continued interest, I will work some more on this "project" as time permits.

Photos are in the SHARING album.

TD
theeislandgirl
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2006 7:03 pm    Post subject: trout Reply with quote

Conis .. I love your photos !!

Theres something about the days gone by of yesterday !

The old clothes .. the old trucks ..

Just the way they did things back then ....

Thank you for sharing ..I will be going back and back to look at all the details ....

These are so special ...... not everyone has pictures AND a journal of their grandfathers life .... when you read those pages .. you really get to know him .... and by the way he was a very handsome man !!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Conis
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2006 10:10 am    Post subject: Re: trout Reply with quote

theeislandgirl wrote:
Conis .. I love your photos !!

Theres something about the days gone by of yesterday !

The old clothes .. the old trucks ..

These are so special ...... not everyone has pictures AND a journal of their grandfathers life .... when you read those pages .. you really get to know him .... and by the way he was a very handsome man !!

Maybe someone who is into old cars can identify the year and make of the car in Gramps pics. For all I know, it may have been furnished to him by D.O.C.? 30's something well before my time. After scanning the photos, I could barely make out the license plate year in a few which looked like 1933.

After his tenure as a CO, he worked as a guard at a foundery in Muskegon... and hated it. He passed away when I was maybe 12-13. When we would gather for family events, I and my cousins would cling on gramps and he would start telling his tales. Enthralled, we were. And embroidered, I am sure. A much better story teller, than a writer/author.

A very dapper man with few enemies, even for a law officer. One has to remember This was the depression and post depression era. Many had nothing and those he dealt with were friends and neighbors. Keeping food on the table, even it it meant poaching, was status quo. He turned a blind eye toward situations where he understood that making an arrest would lead to even greater hardship. What goes around, comes around and without respect, doing his job would have been impossible.

I believe that has he gained seniority in the ranks, he spent less time as a Game Warden and more within the fishery branch. His absolute passion was trout fishing. So I must have gotten his genes.

This I have gleaned from his C.O. log books: Who was arrested, who was let go, # warnings and prior offenses, circumstances. Judge who heard the matter and fine/jail time if any. Many offenders were "made" to work for the county on relief programs. That or jail.

As kids on a 40 acre farm in the 20's, (my mom) all were expected to take turns hunting/fishing around the farm for extra food on the table. Not for sport, but a fact of reality in those times. One of the reasons maybe Gramps was lenient. He understood. My mom disliked hunting, maybe because it was considered a chore? She didn't hunt as an adult, but still took an incredible interest in all things wild and natural. She loved to fish, too, perch especially.

And could still knock a beer can off a fence post at 100' with a .22 in her 70's. Annie Oakly.

All in all, those were times were both hard but simple. The photos are sort of a window into that era.

I'll post more, later, as I have time to go through the "archive".
Jim Krouse
Beach Glass Hoarder
Beach Glass Hoarder

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2006 12:00 am    Post subject: Mug Shots Album Reply with quote

I posted our family picture in the Mug Shots Album however on my first try I had Conis's 3 inch spider as my family.

Hope it can be deleted.

I did finally get the right picture in there. Now I need to get all of the next generation. 3 girls and 3 boys oldest is 17 and we go down a 4 year old. They all love the island as most of us do.

Connie Faye I found your picture. I would never have recognized you if we passed on the sidewalk! It has been a long time.

Sure would like to see a picture of John posted in the Mug Shot Album.
Al'sOtherSister
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2006 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jim,
I have posted a shot from last year of
John and CF in the mugshots!

Connie Faye,
I hope you don't mind?

Love,
Your Picture Takin' Cuz,
Lisa
Al'sOtherSister
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2006 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh Yes,
And I moved that disgustingly large spider over to the Sharing album.
I used two fingers and a pancake spatula! Ewww!
theeislandgirl
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2006 12:47 pm    Post subject: picture Reply with quote

Lisa .. no problem at all .. Thanks for posting the picture of john and I ..

and Jim it was good to se you and your family ..

yes it would be fun to see the grandkids !!!

We have 10 ..age 22 down to 3 ..
4 are in nevada and 6 are here in texas ...

I should post them here too .. maybe in my sharing section ....
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Bois Blanc Island Site Forum Index -> Conservation Corner All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: