Home The Bois Blanc Island Site
An interactive site for islanders and island lovers

Home  ::  Forum  ::  Album  ::   Calendar  ::  Memberlist  ::  Usergroups  ::  Register 
 Profile  :: FAQ  ::  Search  ::  Log in to check your private messages  ::  Log in 

Island Live Cam???

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Bois Blanc Island Site Forum Index -> Photo Comments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
doug miller
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2003 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A thought: All of you hardy souls who winter on the island should figure out a good place to put a "livecam" video camera--somewhere that a lot of island activity goes on in the winter!--so that the rest of us could occasionally tune in. Sort of a Bois Blanc Island reality TV show. Actually, I am kind of serious. It would be nice to have year round and if it was near Pte Aux Pins or Sheila's store or the ferry dock, it would be fun. I suppose security could be a problem if it wasn't located in a secure spot. But I bet if a good spot could be found, many of us who are off the island much of the time would chip in financially to buy the camera and set it up. It would be a kind of chicken soup for the soul for some of us who could come on late at night to just see what was happening, even if it was just nothing or simply watching the waves.

So, Rob, concerning the technical aspects of doing something like this, any thoughts? Could it sweep back and forth to get a 90 to 180 degree view?
Al's Sister

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2003 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wrong time of year for activity I think.... It would be cool in the summer though.. Very Happy
island turtle
Memory Maker
Memory Maker

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2003 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No Way, Doug! There is a winter video available w/ stuff on it already, but what you are suggesting is too much like reality t.v., and personally, I can't stand the stuff! I vote NO!
doug miller
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2003 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I better clarify. Several years ago when I first started using the internet, I was reading a newspaper published in Dublin, Ireland. On the "front page" of that paper was a live picture of a street in Dublin where you could watch cars and people going by. I remember being amazed that I could sit in my office in Michigan and watch a live picture of a street thousands of miles away on my computer screen.

My thought with a camera on the Island is not to record a lot of Island activity. In fact, it is just the opposite--I want it to record the Island inactivity! Cedar trees swaying gently, waves lapping or crashing depending on the day, maybe an occasional bird passing through, and, wonder of wonders, even a deer or person going by. The point would be to allow for a little vicarious Island living when you were off the Island. And since my experience with Island living involves much inactivity and simple enjoyment of its natural beauty, that would be what the camera would provide.

I know it is probably a crazy idea, but it's one I thought I'd throw out there to get kicked around a little (and it has!).
A.C. Haeffner
Coast Comber
Coast Comber

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2003 3:20 pm    Post subject: Island camera Reply with quote

Doug:

Personally, I love the idea. I'm not sure I'd appreciate the camera if I were there all the time, but being as far away as I am from the Island (Upstate New York), it has a certain appeal.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Rob
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2003 2:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doug,

That's an interesting idea. Right now I don't have time to research it, I have too many irons in the fire. My main concern would be bandwidth (how much data is transferred) usage and also whether or not it would slow the website down. As it is, I have to do something with the front page since it already loads too slowly. I have currently allocated 5GB of bandwidth for this site, last month we used 3.6GB. If a video feed was added, it might use scary big bandwidth and make my inexpensive fun little website a more costly venture than I ever imagined or my wife would want to spend. Wink

If someone cares to do the research and report back to the group, maybe we can kick the idea around. If it comes to pass, maybe Curt Plaunt would let us plant the camera at the White Rose and point it towards the old dock, I think that would be a nice view. Plus I know the webmaster at www.bbiferry.com pretty good and would probably be able to put a link on that site. Wink

Anybody else care to voice their opinion?
Al'sOtherSister
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2003 10:29 am    Post subject: Question... Reply with quote

Would you have to get permission from the Bois Blanc Island community on this? Lani?
Dan Reynolds
$$ Site Donor $$
$$ Site Donor $$

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2003 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you'd only have to get permission if it was on public property, i.e., not on someone's private lot. There are a few little places in the U.P., cabin rentals and such, that have a "live" cam (it just takes a new photo every 5 minutes or so and posts it to their Web site). Kinda cool - I've never investigated it and don't know how much work it would be. But I'd definitely be in the audience for BOB-LO-CAM! Laughing

Dan
Uncle Steve
$$ Site Donor $$
$$ Site Donor $$

Location: Big Rapids, MI and Eagle Ridge AKA Red Roof Inn (2006) ... East end BBI

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2003 6:03 pm    Post subject: Live Camera feed from BBI Reply with quote

This is Steve P, know to most as " Uncle Steve " Let me ask a very pointed Question... Why do we ALL Love the Island so much ? I think the answer is very clear... Tranquility, Privacy, Beauty, and " a place in time where we all wish we cherish forever. A live Cam would be neat, but to me, it spoil the thing I love most about the Island " Place set back in the good old days" Just my opinion... I don't have property on the Island YET, but I will someday, and I have a number of GOOD friends on BBI. Enough said My vote, if I had one would be.. Think Long and Hard about what it is that we all enjoy about BBI....
Uncle Steve Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
Dan Reynolds
$$ Site Donor $$
$$ Site Donor $$

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2003 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think the camera idea was meant to be invasive. I didn't take it that way - no one's being monitored. But the reality is that a camera wouldn't survive too long there anyway. I'm sure someone would take it upon themselves to knock it out of commission, if it was out in the open anywhere, citing 'big brother' as the motive. Rolling Eyes Can't make everyone happy.

Dan
Uncle Steve
$$ Site Donor $$
$$ Site Donor $$

Location: Big Rapids, MI and Eagle Ridge AKA Red Roof Inn (2006) ... East end BBI

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2003 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing
Uncle Steve
$$ Site Donor $$
$$ Site Donor $$

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2003 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing ( I clicked to soon last time, sorry )
I did not intend to imply " Big Brother " I just go to the Island to get away from the Busy day to day activities of our world and relax... I certainly would love to view the Island on demand, but that would take away all my anticipation for the next trip North...
Uncle Steve
doug miller
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2003 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finally, a mild Island controversy! I hope it helps to warm up the winter residents who have, I hear, been getting lots of cold, wind , and snow!!
Al'sOtherSister
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2003 8:10 pm    Post subject: Very True, Uncle Steve...... Reply with quote

The sometimes driven anticipation for me sometimes, is that I always have a wanton feeling of what it will look like when I get there. I take pictures...I have taken a good 20 yrs of shots going over on the boat. But have stopped, because they are usually the same. Can't tell one year from the next. But it never ceases to amaze me, the differences to me, every picture I take, even of the same thing! Is always different in some way, on the Island. Maybe its the memories that go along with the places. I have been there every season, except winter. Susie's Pics were very interesting because I see it all in a different way. I think I would rather see it for myself than to see it on a webcam. Interesting idea tho, I have used them before for vacationing plans. But I feel it would be intrusive in some way, and I would think, although not intended, that the year-round residents would feel that way. This site seems committed in some way to keeping the Island, simply... the Island. That far away place to many, we have a need for it as that place to get away, and here we are trying to make it a place that is not that mysterious if it is on 24-7. I think I would be depressed sometimes, looking at this and thinking, "why can't I get there now!" I would be willing to make some quicktime movies of different areas, when I go up this spring/summer?? About 4mb apiece. Anyway to download something like that, Rob? Long winded...ain't I?
Al'sOtherSister
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2003 8:12 pm    Post subject: LOL! Reply with quote

Very Happy
Rob
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2003 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Uncle Steve? I thought you were my adoptive dad, or is does that only apply to Kirsten?

I guess I was only thinking of it from a technical standpoint and tagged on the bit about Curt's place because of the ideal location. Now, having thought about it more from the emotional side, I'm inclined to side with Steve & Lisa. For me, it would take away some of the mystique and imagination. Part of the fun of going is just what Lisa stated; "what's it going to look like when I get there?" I do see where it might be an attraction for those folks who live far away and can't get here as often as some of us. We have members who live in GA, AL, CA, TX, NY and even JAPAN. Some island lovers haven't been able to visit for a decade or two. A live cam does seem to be technologically ahead of the whole nature of the island. Although, Hawk's Landing now has an internet cafe', so maybe it's not. As far as peace, tranquillity, privacy, etc. are concerned, I don't think the island would see a flood of new people just because of the installation of a web cam. I haven't submitted this site to any search engines; the people who came to this site already knew about Boblo.

Lisa, I'm sure I could figure out how to make a QT vid available, again my concern would be bandwidth. I'd rather not have to explain to Kirsten why we owe my webhost so much $$$$ Crazy

This is a good topic. Anybody else have any thoughts?
Uncle Steve
$$ Site Donor $$
$$ Site Donor $$

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2003 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing Rob, you are right ... I am your "adopted Dad", and proud of it... however to everyone else around here I am " Uncle Steve " Hawks, has an Internet cafe, what a great idea for the folks that come up and are hooked on E-mail.. I kinda like the idea of short Mpegs every once and awhile.. I will host them on WWW.vacation-michigan.com if you end up doing them.. What a deal.. Ahe
Al's Sister

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2003 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I too like the mpeg idea with various general sites; with audio.. Gots to hear the waves lappin' and the foghorn moanin' Or maybe just audio, hey Rob? While on the site listen to the waves and the foghorn, taped at Boblo of course.. I wonder what that would take.. Just think of the possibilities.. A lot of people would be on here rather than working or functioning in the real world! Laughing
Dan Reynolds
$$ Site Donor $$
$$ Site Donor $$

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2003 1:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mmmm, the foghorns... When I pass away into the next world, that is the sound I will be hearing - high, low, high, low. We could hear them way back inland, in the middle of the Island woods. Seems like they were always there. They are a part of me now. Every now and then, I'll hear a sound that makes me think of them and I'll stop... then silently acknowledge the connection in my mind and move on. High, low, high, low. #Puppy dog

Dan
Al'sOtherSister
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2003 5:09 am    Post subject: Sound Reply with quote

My quicktimes do sound too..... Razz
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Bois Blanc Island Site Forum Index -> Photo Comments All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: