Home The Bois Blanc Island Site
An interactive site for islanders and island lovers

Home  ::  Forum  ::  Album  ::   Calendar  ::  Memberlist  ::  Usergroups  ::  Register 
 Profile  :: FAQ  ::  Search  ::  Log in to check your private messages  ::  Log in 

LAND USE in 2006

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Bois Blanc Island Site Forum Index -> Conservation Corner
View previous topic :: View next topic  

BBI land use concensus?
Allow free improvement/development of privately held property and shoreline.
45%
 45%  [ 16 ]
Allow limited private improvements under present zoning and planning mandates.
22%
 22%  [ 8 ]
Allow improvements/development only by prior twp. review.
11%
 11%  [ 4 ]
Impede all improvement and development, working toward conservation land trusts to protect natural areas.
2%
 2%  [ 1 ]
Impose stricter shoreline setback and greenbelt restrictions
2%
 2%  [ 1 ]
The ferry dock needs a Burger King!
14%
 14%  [ 5 ]
Total Votes : 35

Conis
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2006 4:56 pm    Post subject: LAND USE in 2006 Reply with quote

Having re read the muck in the lake posts several times over. It occurs to me this discussion has more to do with land use and the consensus of opinion regarding the direction of BBI in years forthcoming?

Preserved in a natural state or “improved and managed”? Or somewhere in between?

And in these posts came comments like “1950s thinking” and “I don’t like it when someone tells me what I can do with my land”.

The idea of “owning” land strikes me as odd. We didn’t own it at birth and we won’t own it at death. It is more like we rent it (property taxes). What we own might be the intrinsic value of this land whether it be recreational, farm land, a woodlot, a lake or a swamp. Whatever. And we can pass this along and the next owner gets to pay rent for a while. Basically, we own only the ideas in our heads that we can take with us when we depart. All the rest gets recycled and passed along?

Since the 50s, concepts like zoning and master plans have taken hold. So have the concepts of environmental control and quality. These laws, rules and ordinances supposedly reflecting the consensus of property owners opinions with the goal of improving or preserving land value, long term. Like it or not, these rules and mandates are here to stay. If you don’t like them move to where they don’t exist. This land use policy has been approved by those it affects, however far reaching they are.

In another post, I briefly wrote about my grandfather and his duty as a conservation officer in the 40’s. In that era, Landowners felt they also “owned” any all animals on same land and by merit of land ownership, were free to hunt and fish whenever. Somehow it was decided that animals belong to the state., not landowners. Some were to be protected and harvesting of game animals to be regulated. (This concept being for the good of the majority, and maybe contrary to “landowners“ rights in Europe.) Conservation officers were armed and not all that popular during the poachers paradise era when this new way of thinking was slow to sink in.

And likewise, a landowner in the same era could pretty do whatever he wanted with “his land” improve it or trash it in whatever way was personally chosen as appropriate. Lets call this 1950s thinking.

Many islands in Lake Michigan have reverted to state or federal ownership. Uninhabited and “managed” by being left alone in a natural state. (or being allowed to return to a natural state). Round Island being one. Isle Royal (no not in Lake Michigan) another. Human intervention has been phased out and the islands basically seized by the government. Why? So those who appreciate a natural oasis will have a place to visit, generations forthcoming. Do these uninhabited islands have greater value as is, or subdivided and improved for recreational use? There is the question. Feel free to answer it.

I am in no way suggesting BBI will be seized by the state. I am suggesting the DEQ will be keeping a close eye on BBI in years forthcoming. We may be at the forefront of tree cutting and shoreline greenbelt concerns, like it or not, ready or not. But this is just my opinion based on what I have seen take place elsewhere.

I have written WAY too much about the Pigeon River Protection act. It has finally served the purpose for which it was intended: To stifle improvement right to the waters edge. And to provide a river in a natural state that generations forthcoming can continue to enjoy as wild and scenic. Those who don’t agree with the rules imposed by the act are not required to own property on the river. Those who own property on the river are under a set of rules which are enforced as law.

It is a long list including setbacks, greenbelt, tree cutting, docks, building materials and colors. What am I allowed to do? Enjoy it! And I do without gaudy ugly houses perched on the river bank every 100’.

And The flip side is Drummond Island which was “raped” by Monahan in the 80’s with no zoning or other tools in place to prevent his exploits. Monahan is gone, The scars aren’t.

If you have an interest in BBI? Think about what it is and what will change things... or preserve them for your children and grandchildren. Would a Burger King be fitting? Where is the stopping point short of this?

Please take a few minutes to peruse the LTC website. http://landtrust.org/

Excerpted from the front page

Quote:
An Island, A Vision, A Passion for ‘The Snows’

"It’s always important to remember that action, taken in the present, can make a difference for the future.” These words, by Les Cheneaux summer resident George Covington could not be truer as the fruits of his land protection work started more than 30 years ago are now being fully realized.

Covington first visited Les Cheneaux (known as “The Snows”) in 1973 as a house guest. He fell in love with the region and within two years had purchased his own getaway home on Marquette Island. “At that time, you could buy a nice piece of waterfront property for $10,000,” Covington recalls. A young real estate lawyer from Illinois, he saw opportunity – not for himself, but for the islands. He began what can be considered a legacy of protected land that today exceeds 1,000 acres. While the transfer of the totality of those lands is not yet complete, more than 1,200 acres of the island where famed conservationist Aldo Leopold once summered are now protected as the Aldo Leopold Nature Preserve, much to the credit of Covington’s foresight and the support of many Les Cheneaux families”

John Elmer Engel
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2006 6:37 pm    Post subject: Poll Reply with quote

Your post is a good one, Conis.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Bois Blanc Island Site Forum Index -> Conservation Corner All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: