Home The Bois Blanc Island Site
An interactive site for islanders and island lovers

Home  ::  Forum  ::  Album  ::   Calendar  ::  Memberlist  ::  Usergroups  ::  Register 
 Profile  :: FAQ  ::  Search  ::  Log in to check your private messages  ::  Log in 

i wonder what happened to the old dock?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Bois Blanc Island Site Forum Index -> Island History
View previous topic :: View next topic  
theeislandgirl
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 1:56 am    Post subject: dock Reply with quote

I hope we can get back to the issue of saving the dock ..another winter is coming and ice to breck away at it ....

Lets not forget about it , Okay ???

Remeber what I said before ???

This is all about the children
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
cal'sangel9
Hawks' Haunter
Hawks' Haunter

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah, for real, let's not forget one of the islands landmarks. i cant count how many times i'd go there with my siblings and cousins and just have an awesome good time. i'm planning on taking some friends up this summer, and it'd be a real big bummer if the dock were gone and we couldnt enjoy it like i used to. let's just hope the dock is there for much longer so more kids and adults alike can enjoy it.
theeislandgirl
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 4:53 pm    Post subject: you Reply with quote

You said it !!!

Its a landmark !! to be saved for sure !!

Lets all remember that it is a "land mark" to be SAVED !!!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
William Weiss
Beach Glass Hoarder
Beach Glass Hoarder

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2008 7:17 pm    Post subject: Old Dock at the Pines Reply with quote

hi everyone, I remember working on the old dock, however I can't remember what year that was. But we hauled rock from the West end (I think) and built the cribs on the beach and then moved them into position and filled tham with the rocks. I also hauled the deck from the steam fired sawmil. I think it was three inch thick planks 24' long and 24" wide and if I'm not mistaken it was birdseye maple. It was L shaped to the right with the auto ramp on the left side. Bill
theeislandgirl
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2008 7:30 pm    Post subject: you Reply with quote

Bill

You are part of the island history it sounds like ...

I guess there is nothing to do about saving the dock ... ???
theeislandgirl
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2008 1:55 am    Post subject: d Reply with quote

Did I hear on here that Uncle Gene Babcock was one of them too that helped build the old dock ...?? Maybe you could tell me Bill ??.. think so and as I recall it was not really that old when I first spent my life on it ...
William Weiss
Beach Glass Hoarder
Beach Glass Hoarder

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2008 10:48 am    Post subject: Old Dock at the Pines Reply with quote

Hi TIG,

There were a lot of people that worked on the dock, Gene was one of the supervisors I'm sure. He could have been in on the design also. It was a community project, everyone was doing something. I'm trying to remember what year that was, I'm 75 now and was still in High School when it was done, so it was before 1951.
Bill
theeislandgirl
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2008 1:40 pm    Post subject: thanks Reply with quote

Thanks Bill for posting about the dock and sharing what info you remember ...

I feel my hands are tied .. wonder if writting to the township ..maybe they could tell me any ideas they have for us to find out how we can get this issue of the dock on top of a list of concern to save part of our history of the island or the Soc. of the pines ..the pump house has been saved .. I think I know who put thier time and money to help save it ..I would be willing to help ..

I will write to both township and the leader of the pines
William Weiss
Beach Glass Hoarder
Beach Glass Hoarder

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 11:57 am    Post subject: John Richardson Reply with quote

TIG, After rumaging around through this website, I found a picture of you and John. There are a lot of Richardsons. How is John related to my grandmother Louise Richardson? It's possible the she could be a great Aunt or something. Ivy Gibbons married a Richardson and move out here to Idaho.

Also I don't know about the depth of the water around the old dock, I think the reason they built a new one was so they could bring in bigger boats.

Kevin,, I found where you own the pproperty back to Twin Lakes now. Also Glenda is living in Peggy and Luke's place.(Part time) I was remembering the time that I brought the family over to the island and when we got ready to leave we were going to go in the 16 ft outboard and couldn't find the life jackets, ( you had hidden them) I don't know if it was because you were mad or you didn't want us to leave. I know there is a lot more to this story. More later.

Bill

Life is good!!!!
Troy
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2008 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remeber my grandfather (Richard Donald Winters) talked about how how you guys built the old dock.

You did a great job, its amazing how long it has lasted. I snorkled around it about 3 years ago and it doesn't look like it will last much longer without some help. There were a lot of places where the rocks are spilling out.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
theeislandgirl
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2008 6:12 pm    Post subject: c Reply with quote

Sad News
William Weiss
Beach Glass Hoarder
Beach Glass Hoarder

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2008 6:51 pm    Post subject: Old Dock at the Pines Reply with quote

Hi Troy, When we worked on the Cribbing, we used dry cedar logs. That is why the lasted so long. It would be a major undertaking to rebuild the Pines dock back to the way it was.

TIG was the pump house west of the Pines and out between the road and lake, on the kind of a point. I think that is the way we went to Taylors place. And I think there used to be an old dock up there also that used pilings.

Bill thumbs_up!
theeislandgirl
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2008 8:14 pm    Post subject: the Reply with quote

Its not there any more and has not been for a very long time then the road caved in ..we were not happy about that ..but the people that lived on "Gold Coast" loved it .no traffic going by their house ..then a fancy home was built where "lovers lane" used to be ..that was part of the side walk as you were heading to the pump house ..

when we were there yet some of us were going to rebuild that road ..do not know if it was against the rules or not but it never got done ..Lots of talk no action ..

now they have closed the road off as you travel between the old county building and my Grandpa and Grandmas home so they now go past cards place, so we have had more traffic in front of moms place ...

Anyone, if I am wrong please correct me ..thanks [/b]
Troy
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2008 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know where those old cribs are, there is usually some good fishing there. Lots of perch. Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Bois Blanc Island Site Forum Index -> Island History All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: