Home The Bois Blanc Island Site
An interactive site for islanders and island lovers

Home  ::  Forum  ::  Album  ::   Calendar  ::  Memberlist  ::  Usergroups  ::  Register 
 Profile  :: FAQ  ::  Search  ::  Log in to check your private messages  ::  Log in 

Bois Blanc MASTER PLAN
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Bois Blanc Island Site Forum Index -> BBI TOWN HALL
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mikewhite
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2006 12:35 pm    Post subject: Bois Blanc MASTER PLAN Reply with quote

PARTICIPATE !!
Come and make your opinians heard!!!

Focus groups concerning review of the BOIS BLANC MASTER PLAN
will be meeting on the following dates at locations listed.
All groups will start at 1:00 p.m.

Saturday, August 19th at Susie Phillips house, East End
Saturday, August 19th at Hoover Community Bldg., Pines
Saturday, August 26th at Wybranowski's house, West End
Saturday, August 26th at Hoover Community Bldg., Pines
Squeaky
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2006 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Will those that are not able to attend have a clue as to what is said and as to what the final "Master Plan" will be?
Al's Sister

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2006 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just want to bump this to the top to remind people.. If you can, try to be there to be heard.. If you can't, try to contact the township by writing.. If requested in your letter the township is required to read it aloud at the meetings.. If you are interested in the content of the focus groups I can only say, be there.. To get the facts, be there.... Smile
Cindy Childs
Bois & Grills Club
Bois & Grills Club

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does anyone know the topics up for discussion? Is it a complete overhall of the existing master plan or just a few updates? We can't get up there during the meeting dates, I am not opposed to writing a letter to be read, but it would be easier to address if we knew which areas are being considered for revisal.
theeislandgirl
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 10:28 pm    Post subject: master plan Reply with quote

I am in the dark here too about what the topics will be and ect ..
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
mikewhite
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2006 4:42 pm    Post subject: The meetings Reply with quote

The August 19th meetings were held. The subjects were 1- Where to put a trailer park as required by law. 2- Green belts, on roads & on lakes. 3- Commercial, more needed somewhere.

If you missed out, be at the next one, or send a representative to it.
John Elmer Engel
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2006 8:06 am    Post subject: Meetings Reply with quote

Thanks for the dates of the meetings.

Having responsibilities at my home, I could not make the 19th. The 26th is on my radar screen.
Bruce Lord
Tavern Tennant
Tavern Tennant

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2006 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Give me a break. Hey lets move all those trashy trailers over there. Does that mean we won't be able to leave our trailers on our lots year round? What a drag. I guess I will never miss one of those meetings again. What or where ? I would guess that it should be located near the dock so peoples trucks won't break down everywhere on the way to their trailers. So seriously what law is that. Where would I find that. If there is a law like that there are probably stipulations or restrictions that could be inforced. But for some reason no one inforces the ones that we have. But maybe I have been told untruths about rules and regs already in place.

Where do I get a copy of the minutes of these meetings is that something that could be put on this forum.?
Conis
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2006 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Question: Would "trailer park" be a storage area or lots for trailers/mobiles with hook-ups?

I am glad to see the "greenbelt subject" brought into discussion.

C
speedster
Black Fly Bait

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2006 10:24 am    Post subject: Planing and Zoning Reply with quote

Has anyone been able to get the new zoning changes online? We need a site to get this information to those of us that can't get to the meetings.
I am a contract Zoning Administrator for another Township. The reason you need to designate an area for mobile homes is so that someone cannot just take any peice of property and decide to put in a mobilehome park. It could be next door to you! The mobile home industry is a very powerful entity. Growth is inevitable. You need to control what and where your growth will be from residential to industrial. If you don't do it now you could end up with a mobile home park on your lake shore.
John Elmer Engel
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2006 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply to speedster Reply with quote

"if you don't do it now, you could end up with a mobile park on your lake shore."

Speedster, you almost got to the crux of the matter. Trailers may be some kind of problem on BBI but they are not even close to what I see to be the most critical issue. A trailer, mobile home or travel trailer, is temporary. The land and cedars and berms eradicated to reveal a trailer is much more permanent and detrimental to the rare beauty of BBI. Yet radical shorline clearing IS happening on BBI. Where is the outcry about that? There is no community voice encouraging new land owners to consider many options based on solid reasons and BBI experiences that they may have never considered.

We are so fortunate to have so many natural shorelines on this Island. By building in the woods near the shore and allowing the natural land undulations and plant communities to remain will set us apart from the overrun inland lakes and certain Great Lake shorelines. What is valuable, not only in money, is the rarity of such wild landscapes. I believe that the natural beauty of non-sub urbanized waterfront properties will be an attraction and add value to property. More and more communities are creating incentives to leave shoreline communities in an almost natural state such as property tax incentives. These preservations benefit EVERYONE now and in the future.

With natural shorelines and "greenbelts" between road and camp, one cannot see the intrusive trailers. Want to park a trailer temporarily on BBI? Then leave a set footage of pure Northern Michigan Island landscape between lake or road that conceals the offensive trailer or it's "NO PARKING. Stuff towed at owners' expense"

I openly invite anyone planning on building or on attending the meeting the 26th, to come to my property the 25th, dinner and drinks time, 7:00 pm, and consider the land you see at my cabin. (BYO everything. I'll have a fire going at 9:00 pm to burn some meat.)

Like Conis says, it's all about the money. Vision is necessary to see where the money is going to go. And the wilder a place is, the more money will go there.

Sorry, Troy, if I'm preaching again.
Conis
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2006 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Amen... Brother Mad Dog Engle!

Lets burn some meat get this worked into a philosophical treatise! You serving Venison? Can I bring my chain saw just in case the issue remains unresolved?

CTD
John Elmer Engel
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2006 5:37 pm    Post subject: Meat burning Reply with quote

Just bring some venison for me.

I've got a chainsaw. I've done my small part to slow down global warming by not running it and cutting down my frontage trees.

Thanks for the offer.

The money you'll save can be better spent on libations.
Conis
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2006 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MDEngle

I got me one of them new hydrogen fuel cell 3300 45" turbo chainsaws. Sure you don't want your frontage "managed". I'll be in and outta there in 20 minutes. Eat deer butt after the clear cut, in celebration? Maybe we can take turns jumping into the campfire, barefooted?

yer pal... Conis
mikewhite
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2006 6:31 pm    Post subject: Trailer Park Reply with quote

The speedster is correct. That was why it was brought up. Bruce, you need not worry, the general opinion expressed agrees with your opinion. It was decided, by the audience, that it should be out in the center of the island and on state land. That way the chance of it happening would be close to zero. The "planners" understand how the majority feel and that was/is the goal of the meetings.
Bruce Lord
Tavern Tennant
Tavern Tennant

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2006 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Mike. I hoped as much.
Spartan-1
Pines Paramour
Pines Paramour

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2006 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HEY!!!
Back to the turbogen hydo 007 chainsaw thingy, can you really cut the entire lot in 20 minutes, that's fantabulous!!!
How bout you just concentrate on the decoding project you promissed all of us, hunting seasons are just around the corner and I've not a clue how many does I'm supposed to shoot this year??? Swans are or are not on the list of goodies??? PLEASE HELP
theeislandgirl
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2006 10:04 pm    Post subject: subjects Reply with quote

mike ..thanks for posting the subjects ..
where can we get the mins. of the meeting ???
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
mikewhite
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2006 7:52 am    Post subject: Minutes? Reply with quote

I don't know if these are official meetings. They are more like gripe sessions. They kind of remind me of this site. :-} There were notes taken to record the general feeling of the mob. I know that in the 5 year old master plan some quotes by people were made to show why planning went in the direction they went. I do not know if that is what will happen again.

Mostly, no one could agree on anything. On the subject of commercial, I asked for a show of hands of a proposal by me only that the land beyond the cemetery out to Bob-Lo Gardens on the right side of the road be made Commercial. It has no houses, it's on a main road and is away from the subdivisions, and it is buildable. The overwhelming majority was against that. At the end it was asked if there was anything else to discuss and the subject of 4 wheeler problems came up and everyone wants more enforcement. Also, millage so the Twp. would have ready funds to purchase properties for recreational purposes came up and everyone agreed that it should be done. So the groups desires were expressed.

I do not know what happened at the meeting at the East End.
speedster
Black Fly Bait

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2006 12:19 pm    Post subject: Planning Reply with quote

Where is the commercial property at this point. We are not that familure with all landmarks on the island. Maybe you could give a general description from the harbor. Everyone must remember that when you create your planning and zoning you have to remember that you are directing the growth for the next 20 years. You typically update your plan at a minimum of every five years. Not everyone wants to see growth but if you can't afford to buy up all the property yourself, growth IS going to happen. As you get more populated, more services are required. Although most of you would rather not see commercial structures along the lakeshore, you have to think about what makes sense. When you have to determine the "best use" of land in regard to commercial, residential, municipal etc. you have to put aside your personal feelings and think about where it really needs to be. Also remember that all state land will not necessarily stay state land. Zone it properly.
theeislandgirl
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2006 10:26 pm    Post subject: mobles Reply with quote

Think about where the mobles are ... on the island .. right in the pines .. some of them ( not all)..
they do not make the pines look dumply ..
not every one can afford to build a home .... we do not want to keep those people off the island .. the island is free to everyone ....

I will always feel that a moble should be free to come to the island and not just to be put in a moble home park .. that kind of makes me feel sick .... there are so many good people that can not bulid homes ...

my point here is .. do not make the island so only the rich .. can come ...

and I do not mean you are RICH if you build a home .. you get my point .... the cost of living is high and hard for many just to make it where they live ... lets let them come to the island too ..to enjoy all the wonderful things that we enjoy ...it will be the high light of their young lives ... maybe it will be the only thing they can have in their life that is special and good ...
Ron Petersen
Lake Mary Muse
Lake Mary Muse

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 7:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure what the ordinances are on Boblo - In our "cities" you are no longer allowed to put in a moble home unless it is in a trailer park - But out in the country you can put one almost anywhere as long as it a 1992 or newer. I live in the small villiage of Rochester (which is unincorporated and is treated like rural county) which consists of about 200 people and about 1/2 that amount of dogs and cats - Many newer & older homes and some mobiles mixed in - Nobody seems to have a problem as long as everyone keeps there place looking nice.
In fact, My wife are going to become "Trailer Trash" - we are buying a double wide and have found that there is hardly any difference in construction from modular homes - and they come with all the appliances!! It was a much cheaper way for us to go and allow us to put up a very nice insulated outside building that we couldn't have afforded if we spent a ton on the house - We are also going to use a preformed concrete skirting that looks like a foundation to make it look more like a home. I really can't see why this wouldn't work on Boblo also - just need to set some guidelines and have them present plans on what there intentions are - same as any house! - I would think this would be a huge savings considering the cost of getting materials to building sites - as long as they don't have to cut any of John Engle's trees to get it to there property - Sorry John, couldn't resist Laughing
Conis
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is nothing wrong with mobiles/double wides/modulars. An affordable alternative or maybe a starter. I think what some have a problem with are the near end-of-life run-down beaters left sitting on blocks for that extra special ghetto look. There are plenty of abandoned derelict trailers on the island. Whos responsibility is it to clean up the mess when the beater trailers finally cave in? Another subject.

I heard from someone in the know (??? who) that there were to be restrictions on mini. size and max. age of trailers brought over?

Another limitation is the width. I believe The ferry will handle up to 12' wide max. Most doubles are 14'w. This was discussed by Kevin who is in the modular business. Option: bring it on a barge.

In fact this is the trend on Beaver I. For the huge cost of building from scratch, they bring 2-3 modulars at a time on a BIG barge and split the cost. Makes more sense.

C
Ron Petersen
Lake Mary Muse
Lake Mary Muse

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree - you only left out one thing when you mentioned the old beaters - there are some cabins on the island that don't look much better either!
There was one right down Rocky Road from ours that looked that way until some upstanding citizen fixed it all up Laughing
Actually, the one we stay in is no show place!!!
Conis
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ron Petersen wrote:
I agree - you only left out one thing when you mentioned the old beaters - there are some cabins on the island that don't look much better either!
There was one right down Rocky Road from ours that looked that way until some upstanding citizen fixed it all up Laughing
Actually, the one we stay in is no show place!!!

What looks good/bad is subjective. A roof caved in and half missing with a coon looking out a broken window would make a "tear it down and haul it away" statement?

Actually, I think the Spray camp would look sporty painted teal and mauve with a couple lean-to(s) ontoit. Some spray can grafitti can always lend that thoughtful custom touch to any camp. One of my U.P. favorites is "KEEP OUT OR GET SHOOTED" in red metallic over tar paper. How can you top that?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Bois Blanc Island Site Forum Index -> BBI TOWN HALL All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: