Home The Bois Blanc Island Site
An interactive site for islanders and island lovers

Home  ::  Forum  ::  Album  ::   Calendar  ::  Memberlist  ::  Usergroups  ::  Register 
 Profile  :: FAQ  ::  Search  ::  Log in to check your private messages  ::  Log in 

The Red Planet Is About To Be Spectacular

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Bois Blanc Island Site Forum Index -> Conservation Corner
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bruce Lord
Tavern Tennant
Tavern Tennant

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2006 3:01 pm    Post subject: The Red Planet Is About To Be Spectacular Reply with quote

Check the sky near the end of August. Mars will rise in the east around 10:00pm and be at its highest point a little after midnight. Supposed to look as big as the moon. Happy gazing.
Ron Petersen
Lake Mary Muse
Lake Mary Muse

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2006 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Bruce - I have gotten several emails saying that is a hoax - does anyone know for sure???????
Troy
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2006 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes its a hoax, that is an email thats been going around for years, always pops up around August since that is the month it refers to. I will get a link to the Urban Legends website.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Troy
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2006 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mars did make an extraordinarily close approach to Earth which culminated on 27 August 2003, when the red planet came within 35 million miles (or 56 million kilometers) of Earth, its nearest approach to us in almost 60,000 years. At that time, Mars appeared approximately 6 times larger and 85 times brighter in the sky than it does ordinarily. (The message quoted above was often reproduced with an unfortunate line break in the middle of the second sentence of the second paragraph, leaving some readers with the mistaken impression that Mars would "look as large as the full moon to the naked eye" and not realizing that the statement only applied to those using viewing Mars through a scope with 75-power magnification.)

http://www.snopes.com/science/mars.asp
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
theeislandgirl
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2006 10:54 pm    Post subject: not true Reply with quote

I looked this up before this post came on board and yes its not true ...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Conis
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2006 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Troy wrote:
Mars did make an extraordinarily close approach to Earth which culminated on 27 August 2003, when the red planet came within 35 million miles (or 56 million kilometers) of Earth, its nearest approach to us in almost 60,000 years.

WHEW! Glad that was a hoax. If it got much closer, I bet the military would percieve it as a conspiracy and blow it up... Unless there was oil on it. Then they would try and overtake it and make it into a democracy.
Bruce Lord
Tavern Tennant
Tavern Tennant

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2006 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well they had me guess, I better do a little more research on that huh!
Erica
Frequent Floater
Frequent Floater

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2006 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is a hoax. My favorite site for star gazing info is http://skytonight.com/observing/highlights
where there is an article about the hoax, complete w/ staged photos. You can find all kinds of info on a huge range of topics at www.firstgov.gov
I even found a beautiful photo of the lighthouse there! Hey, it's taxpayer money being used! Get the most of it!
theeislandgirl
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2006 10:45 pm    Post subject: sites Reply with quote

thanks for the sites ..

I love to read and learn what I can ... makes for a more balanced life ...

I do not explain my self very well at times I know ..

but give me a book I will read it !! or a site ...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Bois Blanc Island Site Forum Index -> Conservation Corner All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: