Home The Bois Blanc Island Site
An interactive site for islanders and island lovers

Home  ::  Forum  ::  Album  ::   Calendar  ::  Memberlist  ::  Usergroups  ::  Register 
 Profile  :: FAQ  ::  Search  ::  Log in to check your private messages  ::  Log in 

Clear cutting

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Bois Blanc Island Site Forum Index -> Conservation Corner
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kevin Gibbons
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 1:59 pm    Post subject: Clear cutting Reply with quote

I just heard that the State open some areas up for clear cutting on bob-lo and they were starting some where on the east end. Anyone know about this? Where they are talking about starting. There goes my deer hunting!
mikewhite
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2007 10:51 am    Post subject: I found a spot almost clear cut Reply with quote

While hunting this November I came across an area up in section 12, on state land, where everything except the aspen has been cut. If you want more details, email me at home.
Cindy Childs
Bois & Grills Club
Bois & Grills Club

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2007 8:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I must have been sleeping the last few months, but what is the purpose of clear cutting? I thought the forestry guru's at the state level had decided that clear cutting was not the best forestry management plan and were going to all select cutting. Maybe this contract was awarded before that decision, or perhaps they changed their minds again.
Al's Sister

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2007 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always thought a clear cut was necessary in some cases.. Near us they are clearing the old poplar stands, which amounts to a clear cut.. The undergrowth and new poplars pop up within a couple years.. In the meantime, the little critters and the deer love the tops the cutting leaves behind.. I'm all for selective cutting and will be on the lookout for the oaks and pine they plan to leave behind.. Cool
Ron Petersen
Lake Mary Muse
Lake Mary Muse

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2007 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think clear cutting would be very benificial to all - healthier forrest, better feed for wildlife - I can recall when there were a lot of open areas on the island and there wasn't near the winter kill back then as there is now. I know this will make the hair stand up on a few necks, but I always thought that the island needed a good fire!!! I Know many are opposed to cutting anything, but think about it - If you got rid of some of the less desirable trees, you could easily plant what you want back and they will look a lot nicer without competition.
Conis
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2007 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would tend to agree with both Ron and Susie... The cutting is needed and will benefit both the forest and wildlife.

Not long ago, the state came in cut several sections along M68, scrub jack-pine an poplar mostly. left the oaks. My bud who owns 80 ac along the cuts freaked out. "No cover, no deer". He has acorns, now the deer have cover and browse. He has more deer than he has seen in 25 years!
Squeaky
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2007 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been saying this right along. I guess I was not using the right term---"Clear Cutting." Is a very good idea and I agree on the fire thing. A controlled fire. that is.
Kevin Gibbons
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I 'm not always a big fan on clear cutting but the island needs it in a lot of areas. But what Mike said don't sound like a clear cut to me. Not if they left the aspen. Why did they leave the aspen besides they arent worth much money. And did the oaks maple and birch get all taken. I don't quite no what to think about this if the state open this area up for a clear cut then that is what should have been done, not just take the high value trees. If that is what happened. If it is suppose to be select cut then there should be a lot of oaks and maple left.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Bois Blanc Island Site Forum Index -> Conservation Corner All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: