Home The Bois Blanc Island Site
An interactive site for islanders and island lovers

Home  ::  Forum  ::  Album  ::   Calendar  ::  Memberlist  ::  Usergroups  ::  Register 
 Profile  :: FAQ  ::  Search  ::  Log in to check your private messages  ::  Log in 

ATV ISSUES (again)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Bois Blanc Island Site Forum Index -> Conservation Corner
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Charlie Trie
Birch Baby
Birch Baby

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2006 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Speed limit - 8MPH is 2X pedestrian; I assume you try to miss them with your car.

Mackinac Island solution could work. Sure seems to maintain property values over there.

Sense I'm getting from your posts is that you want to do what you want. And you want to do what you want whenever you want, whereever you want, on somebodyelse's nickel.

I'm reminded of the Stitt fiasco. BBI seems to attract wack-o behaviors.

Rock on!
theeislandgirl
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2006 4:18 am    Post subject: not Reply with quote

NOT !!

that would not work ..

lol
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
theeislandgirl
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2006 4:21 am    Post subject: opps Reply with quote

opps this is on the wrong page !!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
theeislandgirl
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2006 4:24 am    Post subject: this Reply with quote

now this is the right page

NOT !!!

THAT WOULD NOT WORK !

LOL FUNNY GUY
theeislandgirl
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2006 4:25 am    Post subject: STILL Reply with quote

THE WRONG PLACE FOR MY COMMENT

OH WELL !!
cal'sangel9
Hawks' Haunter
Hawks' Haunter

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2006 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i wonder if some people think before they suggest banning vehicles on bbi and convert to foot power like Mackinac. tell me this, if vehicles are banned, how are people supposed to get themselves, luggage, groceries, building supplies, etc. to the east end or the north shore side of the island? walk it all, yeah, good luck getting people back up there. and please dont say there can be a shuttle service, because who will have to pay for that, duh, the islanders, and i'm sure most of them dont want another tax or payment to make. i suggest just leaving it how it is. it's the same as anywhere else, there's bad drivers, fast drivers, ped's everywhere you go, so what's the difference? whatever....
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
heatseeker8
Stone Skipper

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 7:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A Northern Michigan man died, while diving a shipwreck.
The man was diving the wreck of the Newell-Eddy, in Lake Huron off Bois Blanc Island at around two this afternoon.
The Cheboygan County Sheriff's Department says the man was in about 135 feet of water when it appears he ran out of air.
Other divers tried to give him air but were unsuccessful.
Divers recovered the body of 56-year old James Montcalm of St. Ignace about an hour later.

BAN DIVING!! Cause BBI cannot possibly be viewed as a "safe" place henceforth.
pilotkid
Birch Baby
Birch Baby

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2006 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let me interject here as if I have anything to offer that hasn't already been said. My dad and I use our three wheeler quite frequently on the island. Speaking for myself only (although I wouldn't exactly call my dad a "wildman" of any sort), I always try to be a good citizen on the road. I'll admit, I've passed my fair share of cars on the road-and is it the most prudent thing to do? Probably not. But if I thought it wasn't safe would I have done it? No. Now my question is this-what constitutes a "designated trail?" In skimming over this thread (I'm a college student, I haven't the time nor attention span to read through every post), I thought I came across the phrase "designated trail" so I'm just curious to know what that means. Also, I wouldn't say I'm opposed to a township licensing program, but I think in order for me to fully support it, it would be imperative that the money go to something USEFUL. So there's that.

And now onto something I at least [claim to] know a little about. I can't tell whether or not the comment from heatseeker about banning diving was facetious or not..but let's not be too brash here. Diving, as with aviation [something I acctually DO know about] brings all kinds of people. Most of us who are prudent and safety concious. HOWEVER, in both arenas, there are people who push the limits. So. I think let's not get too carried away. Also kudos on the avatar. I heard about it all the way down here in Kalamazoo.
heatseeker8
Stone Skipper

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2006 6:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its like this. The DNR designated trails systems are all over Northen Michigan and also the UP. It is trails systems cut and brushed to 50 inches for trails and 60 inches for routes. BBI has no desiganted trails. However cause BBI is considered Mackinaw county forrest roads are open. A Forrest road is a logging road or any road not maintained by the county that is on state land.

My remark about banning diving was a joke. You see more people have been killed on or about the water ways on BBI than on ORV's. Yet
noone is on a witch hunt to shut down diving.
heatseeker8
Stone Skipper

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2006 6:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Off Road Vehicle Enthusiasts Get County Trail Ordinance
Approval by Townships, Cities Next Step To Opening Roads for ORVs
By Karen Gould

A new Mackinac County ordinance will allow off-road vehicles (ORVs) to be driven on unpaved areas of county roads, but not U.S. highways, state highways, or highways in cites or townships that do not approve it locally.
Adopted by commissioners Thursday, August 25, at the request of off-road enthusiasts, the ORV ordinance includes access routes, restrictions, and penalties and becomes effective 30 days after publication.
“This is an enabling ordinance that enables the townships to pass an ordinance to allow the ORV traffic on access routes to trails or open areas,” said Sheriff Scott Strait. “It doesn’t mean you can drive your four-wheelers everywhere. This is only valid in those jurisdictions where the township also adopts this or a similar ordinance.”
Commissioners will review the ordinance in one year.
Steve DuFresne of St. Ignace, who made the request to commissioners earlier this month to consider an ordinance that would help develop ORV trail use, attended the meeting along with county resident Derek Packer, who is forming an ORV club. Both men said that ORV access in the county would encourage visitors to stay in the county, rather than drive through to counties that already have such an ordinance in place.
“This is exactly what we wanted to happen,” said Mr. DuFresne, who now will be contacting townships to see if they will adopt the ordinance.
“Now, maybe we’ll get as many ORV riders up here as we have snowmobilers,” said Mr. Packer.
The ORV group will host a public meeting Thursday, September 1, at 7 p.m. at St. Ignace Middle School to discuss ideas for opening ORV trails.
Al's Sister

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2006 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's Great! I hope the BBI township gets busy designating.. What a wonderful oppotunity for them to maintain some control! Very Happy I don't think it would limit the ORV user.. There are still a lot of 'cross the Island' trails already kept open by snowmobilers already.. A bit more care of them by the ORV users in the warm months and it could be a dream come true! An extra Deputy next year to camp out on the North shore to keep them off the beaches and and permitting for road access and signage for speed control in populated areas and alls well that ends well... Cool
heatseeker8
Stone Skipper

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2006 7:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

^^^^^^^^

Actually that is a article copy/pasted from July/August of 2005..
Al's Sister

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2006 7:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do know that the issue was a big one at the Master plan input meetings held this summer.. I'm sure we will see something come of it.. Cool
Cindy Childs
Bois & Grills Club
Bois & Grills Club

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2006 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Designating specific trails on BBI creates another problem...more than half our trails are on private lands, under current courts rules, if I go too fast and smuck a tree on your property I can sue you...and win. That is why you see so many gates and signs. to use the proposed ordinance...trails would have to actually be where they are supposed to be. Oh then the ORV issue becomes an even bigger road issue.
heatseeker8
Stone Skipper

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2006 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your absolutley right Cindy. I can also walk onto your property and severly break my leg, sue..and win. Rolling Eyes

I have yet to see a(and 99% sure I NEVER will) single ORV confidence marker on BBI. If you dont know what those are, they are a 6inch triangle shape marker with a ORV marked on them.

BBI is in my opinion a nice change of pace to ride a ORV..Whether it be fast or slow.

And for those that take issue with the word "fast" are you sure you've never drove 56 in a 55 mph zone? Or even worse... 16 in 15 zone? Breaking the law is just that..doesnt matter if its 1 mph over or 200 mph over..its still wrong.

God help us ORV users that use are machines what they are designed for. Shocked
Squeaky
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2006 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As heatseeker said---"I can walk onto your property and severly break my leg, sue and win." Good reason why their are those that you would not want to invite to your home, especially when you know they are suit happy people. And another reason why fences make good neighbors and help keep off ORV's. Got to protect yourself, your pocket books, checkbooks, etc. Is sad that this is happening now. No one accepts nor pays for their own mistakes.
Kevin Gibbons
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2006 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You have got to be kidding me you think that we should tell everyone to stay off our properity. That is a down state mantality, I don't agree with that I always tried to give the snowmobilers and four wheelers a way a crossed my properity because with out that it would stop a trail accross the island. Lets face ti fourwheelers is a big part of the island we all use them one way or the other.
3 putt
Gold Coast Guest
Gold Coast Guest

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2006 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can only hope that everyone keeps the same attitude you have as far as letting people goe through thier property as you do. Gram is a 1 in a million when it comes to police officers. (he cares) Besides the very few incidents that have happened here this summer, there is not alot for him to do. I think we take care of each other over here very well. The next guy that comes here could start writeing seatbelt tickets, random searches, hideing around the corner of the bar and pulling over everyone, failing to stop when you slightly run the stop sign, Lets face it folks the police on the other side arent there to help no more. we dont need no yahoo comeing over here and cleaning up the island. God help us when Gram retires for good..
heatseeker8
Stone Skipper

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2006 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kevin Gibbons wrote:
You have got to be kidding me you think that we should tell everyone to stay off our properity. That is a down state mantality, I don't agree with that I always tried to give the snowmobilers and four wheelers a way a crossed my properity because with out that it would stop a trail accross the island. Lets face ti fourwheelers is a big part of the island we all use them one way or the other.

Well Mr. Gibbons, Thank you very much,although I dont know where your property is... I may have 'trespassed" on it.
heatseeker8
Stone Skipper

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2006 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

3 putt wrote:
I can only hope that everyone keeps the same attitude you have as far as letting people goe through thier property as you do. Gram is a 1 in a million when it comes to police officers. (he cares) Besides the very few incidents that have happened here this summer, there is not alot for him to do. I think we take care of each other over here very well. The next guy that comes here could start writeing seatbelt tickets, random searches, hideing around the corner of the bar and pulling over everyone, failing to stop when you slightly run the stop sign, Lets face it folks the police on the other side arent there to help no more. we dont need no yahoo comeing over here and cleaning up the island. God help us when Gram retires for good..

Very well put.. Exclamation
Kevin Gibbons
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2006 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I let people use it because I'm greedy and I plan on putting up a toll both after while. Ha!
Conis
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2006 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just Back after a couple awsome-weather weeks on the island.

On the way out to the island, I had a brief but interesting discussion with GW about his take on "the 4 wheeler situation". Whos to blame, not to blame or is there a problem at all? I am not going to repeat the discussion in it's entirety except to say that a few spoil it for the majority and incidents get blown out of proportion. I will also say that if you decide to break the rules and GW sees you, get your wallet out.

If someone wants to pull out in front of a car without looking or smack a tree at 50 mph., drunk or sober, there really isn't much that can be done to prevent it. Charles Darwin has written theories...

I put over 200 miles on my wheeler over the last couple weeks. My average speed was 6 mph. I found amazing places in the islands interior that I would have never found by walking in. I am not fat or lazy. Injured both ankles 20 years ago so walking 30 miles a day to go explore isn't an option for me. 6-8 hours riding a wheeler is brutal enough! Nor did I ride off the established trails. (Walk when the trail ends)

Anyway. Appreciate GW for who he is. Lets hope he gets some help over the holidays. This past year, the deputy on Beaver island (of 25 years) was replaced by a newbee rookie "by-the-book" deputy bent on "bringing law and order to a lawless island". To the point of zero tolerance and harrassment. We don't need someone like that do we?

SO?
Kevin Gibbons
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2006 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is some problems that is for sure, I hope that we can keep the 4-wheelers on the roads though. Gram I think is doing a good job and a thankless job. You can't please everyone all the time. I don't no the answer on this but I think we need to do something. The bad apples are going to spoil this for the rest of us.
Spartan-1
Pines Paramour
Pines Paramour

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2006 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Isn't that always the case??? It only takes a couple of #%*?&' s and it is screwed up for all of us.
By the way how the ducks and geese migrating to that little honey hole?
Can't wait to see them through the bead on Oct. 27th. I will bring my pole, but I still think I have a better chance of catching a duck with it than I do a nice fish.
Go Huskies, see you when the season is over!!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Bois Blanc Island Site Forum Index -> Conservation Corner All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: