Home The Bois Blanc Island Site
An interactive site for islanders and island lovers

Home  ::  Forum  ::  Album  ::   Calendar  ::  Memberlist  ::  Usergroups  ::  Register 
 Profile  :: FAQ  ::  Search  ::  Log in to check your private messages  ::  Log in 

YOUTH WEEKEND DEER WHACKING???
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Bois Blanc Island Site Forum Index -> Conservation Corner
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Conis
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2006 6:30 pm    Post subject: YOUTH WEEKEND DEER WHACKING??? Reply with quote

Well… This weekend has been “youth deer hunt weekend“. Another 4 star “It’s all about the money” DNR cash in hand devbacle “Lets sell the deer herd and make some $$$”.

Driving into town tonight, I see a couple, (father/kid) heading toward a deer blind in an open bean field. The premise of this train wreck is to encourage young hunters to whack a deer to “get them interested”..

Yeah well…

Last year or maybe the year before, I was at Jays Sporting Goods in Clare on this weekend… Trucks pulling in and bucks being displayed. I had a look. The conversation went like this.

(me) “Nice Buck. Where did you shoot it and what did you shoot it with?”

(10 year old kid) “Dad what did I (we/you) shoot it with?”

(Dad) “A 7 mag”. (meaning a 7mm Remington Magnum… which is absolutely punishing to the stoutest adult male and would have taken a 10 year old kid on his butt and 10’ backward)

Yeah well…

The kids don’t get it. Is this “I get to whack a deer” Or get to watch DAD whack one and say it was my kids” Who pulled the trigger? Hahahahaha. Take them out in a bean field when it is still summer and the deer are unwary and stupid? And show them how it’s is done or let them do it? How sick is this?

You want to teach a kid to deer hunt?

Take a kid to deer camp. Let them take the crap. Let them experience male bonding. Let them wise up. Let them do everything wrong in order to get it right. Let them learn how to hunt a buck. Let them earn their stripes. Let them learn that killing a deer is the smallest part of deer hunting. Let them learn to be a sportsman. Let them learn VALUE! Let them have a life-worthy first experience, that they will forever remember. You can’t buy any of that.

OR teach them killing an unwary not-in-rut buck in the summer, is “deer hunting”. Once again, all about the money. Sell them licenses..

The saddest part is that these pre-season killed (sacrificed) bucks haven’t yet had the chance to breed.

You wonder why the buck to doe ratio is 1-20?

It’s all about the money. This sort of crap just makes me crazy. I am glad I learned things, different.

C
bknoll
Pines Paramour
Pines Paramour

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2006 7:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah....this youth hunt is getting kind of old. You should see the pics that my students come in with...amazing bucks. Most of these kids that get these deer will also be hunting during the regular season with their dads or on their own...so this hunt to them isn't one that provides an opportunity to get their first deer; it provides them with the opportunity to start their season early and shoot a deer that is still in the summer mode. This hunt has rubbed me the wrong way from the onset. I agree with Conis in that these bucks that the youth shoot have not had the chance to breed any does. The average buck will tend many does throughout the rut......that's why these deer are spent at the end of the season! Makes very little sense to me.
West End Piper
Pines Paramour
Pines Paramour

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2006 8:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with the two previous posts 100%!!!!! I came to appreciate deer hunting the "traditional" way. My dad bought me my first bow, when I was 12. I was given my first "firearm" at approximately the same age. It was a Crossman 760, pellet/bb gun. This was when they were made of wood and steel, and weighed about as much as a .22 caliber rifle. (Or at least it seemed that way to me!) Dad and I would shoot cans in the woods, or go to the rifle range. When I was old enough and my dad felt that I was mature enough, he started taking me to deer camp. These trips remain some of my fondest memories. I can still recall the sights and even the smells of those first hunting trips vividly. I didn't need this "special, early hunt" to capture my interest. To be quite frank, it really ticks me off when guys from work bring in pictures of the trophy bucks that their "kid" killed, before the rest of us even get the chance to get into the woods during the traditional seasons.
West End Piper
Pines Paramour
Pines Paramour

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2006 8:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with the two previous posts 100%!!!!! I came to appreciate deer hunting the "traditional" way. My dad bought me my first bow, when I was 12. I was given my first "firearm" at approximately the same age. It was a Crossman 760, pellet/bb gun. This was when they were made of wood and steel, and weighed about as much as a .22 caliber rifle. (Or at least it seemed that way to me!) Dad and I would shoot cans in the woods, or go to the rifle range. When I was old enough and my dad felt that I was mature enough, he started taking me to deer camp. These trips remain some of my fondest memories. I can still recall the sights and even the smells of those first hunting trips vividly. I didn't need this "special, early hunt" to capture my interest. To be quite frank, it really ticks me off when guys from work bring in pictures of the trophy bucks that their "kid" killed, before the rest of us even get the chance to get into the woods during the traditional seasons.
bknoll
Pines Paramour
Pines Paramour

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2006 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And I'm not trying to come off as someone who is bitter about kids shooting bigger deer than me.....most of us on this site seem to be way beyond the "I've got to kill something" mentality. I just don't think this hunt is being played out the way the DNR would like us to believe.
Kevin Gibbons
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2006 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This youth hunt is crap. This is truly DNR wanting money again. I don't even want to say anymore about it my blood boils
KELLY
Memory Maker
Memory Maker

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2006 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dont think the real issue is youth hunt I think kids learn what they are taught. Also the same people that are shooting the deer and saying that their kids shot it are the same people that poach deer out of season etc. I feel youth hunt is a good way for kids to get a start if taught properly. If it was only open for does would you all feel the same? Or is that they are getting a chance to get the buck's first? If you teach kids the right way does it really matter that they go first?
Conis
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2006 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bknoll wrote:
And I'm not trying to come off as someone who is bitter about kids shooting bigger deer than me.....most of us on this site seem to be way beyond the "I've got to kill something" mentality. I just don't think this hunt is being played out the way the DNR would like us to believe.

This is exactly what they are being taught, whether they actually shoot the deer or let dad whack it. Deer hunting is about camp. At least for me it has always been. Memories.
KELLY
Memory Maker
Memory Maker

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2006 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SOME KIDS BUT NOT OUR'S, WE SHOULDNT GENERALIZE, SOME PARENTS ACTUALLY TEACH THEIR KIDS THE PROPER WAY. AND THE KIDS WILL STILL GET TO HAVE MEMORIES OF DEER CAMP JUST BECAUSE THEY GET TO HUNT A FEW WEEKS EARLY DOESNT MEAN THAT THEY CANT GO TO DEER CAMP. ALSO SOME OF THESE KIDS HAVE BEEN HUNTING WITH THEIR DAD SINCE THEY WERE LITTLE SO THEY ALREADY HAVE BEEN SITTING IN THE WOODS FOR YEARS. I DONT AGREE WITH THE WAY SOME PARENTS ARE TEACHING HUNTING BUT THIS IS NOT THE CASE FOR ALL KIDS. THE BAD PARENTS PROBABLY DONT WANT TO TAKE THEIR KIDS TO DEER CAMP CAUSE THEY WONT BE ABLE TO PARTY LIKE THEY NORMALLY DO. ONCE AGAIN SOME BAD PARENTING CREATES BAD FOR ALL.
Kevin Gibbons
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2006 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The early hunting is bad for the deer heard and just for the money not to teach kids how to hunt because you don't even hunt the same. The deer are still in the tame mode. Why not take some corn with you they will follow you home then you won't have to shoot them. You are better off with a good camera then a gun.

Last edited by Kevin Gibbons on Mon Sep 25, 2006 12:51 pm; edited 1 time in total
KELLY
Memory Maker
Memory Maker

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2006 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I AGREE WITH YOU THEIR THEY COULD MOVE IT BACK A LITTLE, MAYBE THE WEEKEND BEOFRE OPENING DAY WOULD BE BETTER BUT I DONT THINK THEY SHOULD GET RID OF IT ALL TOGETHER
Conis
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2006 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If they did that, they would get all the bow hunters POed. But then again, they already have ALMOST ALL the deer hunters POed. (except th ones buying into this BS.

It IS bad for the herd. Kill the bucks before breeding season? How much sense does that make?

I think they ought to have it on July 4th with paintball guns,
KELLY
Memory Maker
Memory Maker

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2006 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SOUND LIKE NO WEEKEND WOULD BE GOOD. MY BET IS THAT THE PEOPLE WHO ARE AGAINST IT WOULNDT LIKE IT DONE ANY WEEKEND, AND THAT THE ISSUE ISNT GETTING RID OF THE HERD ITS GETTING RID OF THE BIG BUCKS BEFORE THEY GET A CHANCE. I WOULD WONDER IF THE YOUTH SEASON WAS AT THE END OF THE SEASON IF THEY WOULD STILL DISAPPROV OF IT. I DOUBT IT.
Kevin Gibbons
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2006 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm agaist it and I don't believe it is to teach the kids anything. Deer camp is traditional and I believe the kids that want to learn to hunt will there. And have a lot better time. Its about the money
John Elmer Engel
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2006 7:08 am    Post subject: Youth Hunt Reply with quote

Any experience with dads (or moms) in the outdoors is powerful. I do not hunt. I just can't stomach the thought of sending a bullet or arrow into an unsuspecting, living being. I am not against hunting. How we approach it with our children is very important. Reverence for the earth and the wild animals is paramount. Is this "youth hunt" a proper way to teach reverence? I certainly do not know. It all comes down to the parents and how they approach this activity.

By the way, I love venison.
Dan Reynolds
$$ Site Donor $$
$$ Site Donor $$

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2006 7:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree re: the power of sharing outdoor experiences with parents. Even though we never went hunting or fishing, the time I spent with my Dad camping on the Island, or even just being outside working together, made for special memories. I wish we had hunted or fished together; I always envied those kids whose dads were younger and better able to share all those things with them. But I was glad for the rare moments we had to be outdoors together. I learned a lot in a relatively short time.

Dan
John Elmer Engel
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2006 10:09 am    Post subject: Youth hunt Reply with quote

My parents took us camping and fishing. We did not hunt because dad coached in the fall. I lived to fish when I was a whippersnapper. I fish once in a blue moon, now, however, those past experiences on the water gave me a deep love for lakes, streams, and rivers. Now, all I have to do to really enjoy nature is get out in it...fishing is optional.
Jester
Gold Coast Guest
Gold Coast Guest

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2006 9:58 am    Post subject: Re: Youth hunt Reply with quote

John Elmer Engel wrote:
My parents took us camping and fishing. We did not hunt because dad coached in the fall. I lived to fish when I was a whippersnapper. I fish once in a blue moon, now, however, those past experiences on the water gave me a deep love for lakes, streams, and rivers. Now, all I have to do to really enjoy nature is get out in it...fishing is optional.

Those pore unexpecting little non-rutting fishies.......LOL.....If everyone is so against they way the DNR tries to get funding for their agency then why not try a donation to the DNR (Its tax deductable) This is the same as the FREE FISHING WEEKEND only you pay for your license to hunt. You haven't seen any complaining about that have you? They use that money to do many things useful. People tend to think that one (1) buck to twenty (doe) is high ratio, but in reality, the bucks service many does per year. Just imagine that if we supported the DNR and the likes, we wouldn't have a thing to complain about. Wouldn't that be terrible? I support the Youth Hunting Weekend, at least they aren't out there slicing tires or vandalizing or worse.
John Elmer Engel
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2006 10:29 am    Post subject: Youth Hunt sorta Reply with quote

Jester, don't get in my face about the youth hunt. I'm not pro or con. The whole Michigan deer hunt/harvest management is beyond me. I have no negative feelings about the issue...nor positive ones. Read post carefully before you quote someone and imply something totally inaccurate. I am not complaining about the Youth Hunt at all.

You think it is good....fine with me. I hear ya.

I don't need my blood pressure elevated like that, Jester.
Jester
Gold Coast Guest
Gold Coast Guest

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2006 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Never intended to get in your face my friend.....we go to far back for that to happen ....... just making a general post but the you were on my mind about the fishies ..... that was suppose to be joking around with the quote .... my bad .... shouldda said that ......
John Elmer Engel
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2006 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply to Jester Reply with quote

God, I wish people would use real names on this forum so we could temper the response. If you are who I think you are, I would not have taken it so personally.
bknoll
Pines Paramour
Pines Paramour

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2006 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A buck to doe ratio of 1 to 20 is ridiculous. Suggested reading: "The Deer Hunters Field Guide, Pursuing Michigan's Whitetail" by John H. Williams. Very scientific information in this book. Best I have ever read. He addresses that ratio and what the "norm" should be. Numerous ramifications too lengthy to discuss here about ratios like this.

Apples and oranges with comparison to fishing.....much higher biotic potential within our fish population.

As far as donating money to the DNR; might as well light my cigars with that money.

Youth hunt....sounds good in theory (i.e. it's all about the kids and the time spent with family) but I believe it causes more harm that good and I'll stand firm in not supporting this hunt.....I will not take my sons on it.
Conis
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2006 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Free fishing weekend is fine with me. At least it is during open fishing seasons.

It also occurs to me hunting/fishing seasons are set (use to be set) by merit of science and biology rather than income generating potential.

I have said everything I am ever going say about the DNR aka Do Nothing Right.
Kevin Gibbons
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2006 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with you John about putting on your own name. I also do not support the youth hunt.
Conis
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2006 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK. Trip to the local Party store (Blanchard) where the neighbor kid "Cody" works. He lives across the road from me. (age 15)

Like this: (Verbatum)

Cody: "I got a nice buck this (past) weekend"
Me: "Cool... You shoot it or did your dad?"
Cody: " No, I shot it".
Me: "Was your dad with you?"
Cody:" Nope, just me..."
Me: "How big and where?"
Cody:"10pt, 220 lbs... In Grandpas blind.Gramps says there is a bigger one around..."
Me: "Congratulations!" (what else could I say? These are my neighbors...)

And this has what to do with "teaching a a kid to deer hunt" Cody has already killed 3 bucks, two of which taken in Sept youth deer hunts. His dad wasn't even with him.

So there is another buck trashed. And 20 does not serviced. And the buck/doe ratio goes even lower locally.

And this is the sum total of my arguement.

DO NOTHING RIGHT.

I am so pissed I could spit fire! Just plain ignorant! And cody has learned FRIGGIN WHAT?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Bois Blanc Island Site Forum Index -> Conservation Corner All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: