Home The Bois Blanc Island Site
An interactive site for islanders and island lovers

Home  ::  Forum  ::  Album  ::   Calendar  ::  Memberlist  ::  Usergroups  ::  Register 
 Profile  :: FAQ  ::  Search  ::  Log in to check your private messages  ::  Log in 

CHIPMUNK INFESTATION!
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Bois Blanc Island Site Forum Index -> Conservation Corner
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Conis
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2006 5:33 pm    Post subject: CHIPMUNK INFESTATION! Reply with quote

Egads! I have had a chipmunk population explosion around the ol' homestead! A couple bumper acorn/hickory nut years I guess.

I enjoy watching them, Little boogers zipping around the yard doing their thing, chasing each other in territorial disputes.

I have WAY too many. Tunnels all over the place, (to the point of areas collapsing) In my garage and outbuildings in tribes... I realized I am going to have to do something. A little wildlife management.

I don't want to poison them (poison peanut route) I have a lot of squirrels too and like them around.

I suppose I could shoot them. That kind of rubs me the wrong way but probably the simplest and most logical solution. There is just something "wrong" about shooting a chipmunk. Bad Karma or ? Can't eat 'em short of a "mess" like pan fish?

Has anyone ever tried live trapping 'munks? I'd take them a mile down the road and turn them loose in a hardwood lot.

I have two live traps (BIG~ coon/cat sized) I have never seen any small mini live traps. The trips on my big traps... I don't think a chip would set them off... Probably just get squirrels .

Suggestions?
Familyman
We Wanna Stay!
We Wanna Stay!

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2006 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Box Trap. My son does it all the time, just for the fun of catching them. Build a small box 1' x 1' x 1' . Hinge the bottom. Open the box 3 or 4 inches. Hot glue some acorns together with a short string. Tie the string to a stick holding the box open in the center. When the chipmunk grabs the acorn clump he pulls the string and the stick falls slamming the box shut. Carry the box to your neighbors and open er up.
CAUTION: DO NOT OPEN THE BOX NEAR YOUR BODY. They will scamble right up your leg and jump off your head.

Good Luck
Conis
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2006 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's a tip! I figured I was going to have to build something. I don't want to hurt them. I just want them thinned out. I don't want to go down as C/TD "the chipmunk nazi"... I have a problem, here! Taking the place over!

I had a flying squirrel infestation years ago, same reason, Hickory nuts.
Thats another story and a long one.

With my luck they would run up the inside of my pant leg... Not going beyond that!
Jester
Gold Coast Guest
Gold Coast Guest

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2006 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had a few problems in the past and found a cool and funny way to watch them rascals scurvy away ...... bait them ....... bait them with all the nuts and stuff in your yard and put a bunch of tabasco or cracked pepper (heavily) on the pile ..... they will soon be at the neighbors and then you tell them the trick (the neighbors and not the chipmonks)........ unless you wish to invest in a Kristen "D" ticket for me and I will bring the faithful 22 rimfire over and have a feast for the table at my house .... they taste like chicken
Quote:
With my luck they would run up the inside of my pant leg... Not going beyond that!

Nut taveling? Nut seeking? Never mind
Conis
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2006 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another good tip.

I have .22

I also have 14 divisions of assault ready chippies in full combat mode.

I like the hot sauce idea. Can I buy it in 55 gallon drums? I also have the mother of all bitter nut hickory trees in my yard which is a nut mfg. machine and sqiurrel/chippy magnet from the surrounding six townships?

I used to hunt/eat squirrels as a kid. Not bad eatin if you salt and parboil em first. Yeah they taste like chicken. A reallly bad, really dead, really old chicken... If you beat the hell out of em with a meat mallet first? Kind of like eating a mobile tree w/ 4 legs? Wood flavored meat?

My best squirrel recipe: Nail them to a board and throw them in a campfire. After 20 minutes pull it out. Throw away the squirrel and eat the board?

Maybe like shiskabobs (sp) on a spit. like chippie squirrel shrimps? Use the road flair hot sauce on them in the BBQ?

Maybe a delacasy. I can export to Taiwan for $1000 a pound? If they eat dogs and think thats good, they'll eat anything? Chippie jerky a la mode... anyone?
Jester
Gold Coast Guest
Gold Coast Guest

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2006 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Chippie jerky a la mode

It seems that you and I are the only posters within the last few days ...... But I bet a dollar to a doughnut that we have made a few smiles run across that faces of a few ....... Accually if you par-boil and place a few taters and car-roots (carrots) and peas in dat der pot along wif a few chip-thighs it makes a rip roarin stew that Ol' Granny YOUsta call Possum Stew. BOY Howdy. Within the Ole Captain H recipe .... you use all the above ingredients with sour cream and whole milk (to thicken) and place that over thick and rich Egg Noodles to make a stoke-enough and get with your favorite Dr. and get some Livitor to combat the clogging of the arteries. Live well and prosper
Conis
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2006 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good recipe.

I have found that if it is really not edible, half/fifth of wild turkey spruces it it up. Kind of like a chippie cocktail with a protien booster/upper? Hey... your gonna puke anyway?
Rosemary
Bois & Grills Club
Bois & Grills Club

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2006 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You guys are not well!! Shocked
Conis
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2006 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rosemary wrote:
You guys are not well!! Shocked

Oh... you starving wimp-bag of condesending pureness.

I am bringing you a big bag of Chippy Jerky for you an Maddy to scarf on. At least Maddy will eat it! If she don't I will. Better than a PBJ sandwich, especially with Tobasco!
theeislandgirl
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2006 1:39 am    Post subject: well Reply with quote

LOL these guys are NOT well but having fun !! Very Happy

oh by the way I like this picture much better Conis .. the other one I thought you were trying out to run the country ... well maybe that would not have been so bad ... after all .. but can I ask you a question ??? Since I have never met you .. Do you really have all those musles ?? Wink
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Kevin Gibbons
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There sure seems to be a lot of them this year. They are driving my dogs nuts. I just can't bring myself to get rid of them they are so cute. If you live trap them you better be taking them about 20 miles away or they beat you home. They sure enjoy teasing my dogs. They come right up to the window looking for the dogs.
Conis
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, well.

Driving back from town tonight, those little cute boogers were runiing around, all over the road like Lemmings. Population explosion is what!

20 miles? How about if I put 3-4 hundred in a suitcase and import them to BBI? YOU WANT SUMMA DIS?"

Chippe sandwiches anyone?

Speaking of which (seriously) I don't think I have ever seen one on the Island. Black squirrels only? Probably have a rough time tunneling in rocks?
Rosemary
Bois & Grills Club
Bois & Grills Club

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes

IT WAS A JOKE!!!

Besides that, Maddy only eats ALPO.
Conis
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2006 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rosemary wrote:
Quote:

Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes

IT WAS A JOKE!!!

Besides that, Maddy only eats ALPO.

I know that Laughing and so was my reply ... "you goddess of the evening mist" I eat Alpo, too. Makes good chip dip and not too pricy.

As soon as I can catch a few more toads (The secret ingredient), I will share my recipe for Chipped Chippy on Rye.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I think this is a bumper year for both chipmunks and squirrels. WOW! Maybe last years mild winter and huge acorn crop combined.
theeislandgirl
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2006 5:28 pm    Post subject: eat Reply with quote

I have a friend that lived in Texas many years as a child .. and she said there family ate squirrels ..

My first thought was " yuky poo" !!

My thoughts are still the same Exclamation
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Conis
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2006 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Believe it or not... Squirrels ain't bad eatin' if fixed right, just like any other wild game... and horrible if cooked like store bought. An aquired taste maybe. I know because I shot/ate plenty. Soaked in brine, maranated, parboiled and fried. WAY better than wild rabbit.

"Yuky poo"?

Some of you may take exception to this? (Get over it because it is backwards-stupid-funny)

When my daughter was 3-4 years old... she came down stairs on new years day after an adult new years eve party, the evening before.... On the coffee table sat an abandoned cocktail glass half full of Bourbon, not yet cleaned up from the previous evening...

She thought it was apple juice... GLUG GLUG GLUG. 14 shades of purple!

First thing she said was "UCKY JUICER!!!" Don't worry. She made it, no worse for the wear and slept it off. Most of it came right back up, anyway.

From then on... I ask a guest if they want a toddy; "You want an ucky juicer?" Still sticks to this day...

Nothing like tradition, is there?

So... give me an Ucky juicer with my yuky squirrell and make it a double?

C
Ron Petersen
Lake Mary Muse
Lake Mary Muse

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2006 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Conis - Don't know if I am going to make it it in November, but if I do, we'll have to try some of that Ucky Juicer and some Yuky Poo Squirrel!!!!!!

Last edited by Ron Petersen on Tue Oct 10, 2006 8:15 pm; edited 2 times in total
Rob
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2006 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sign me up for an ucky juicer this weekend! Very Happy

http://www.bridge-view.net
Conis
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2006 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rob wrote:
Sign me up for an ucky juicer this weekend! Very Happy

Could be an over the top weekend: I am in, Brad Knoll, Mad dog Engle, Jeff D. and others...An island lunatic reunion?

Not when but where? Be there or Be square?

C
Rob
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2006 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, where?

http://www.bridge-view.net
theeislandgirl
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2006 9:54 pm    Post subject: juice Reply with quote

Cute story about your daughter ..Conis .. and it lives on ..

hummmm .. .. I just MIGHT try some ONLY if Conis cooked it .... well .. maybe .. So if you ever make to Texas ...

Still sounds "yucky poo" to me !!!
bknoll
Pines Paramour
Pines Paramour

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 6:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This sounds like it could be an awesome weekend! Coming over on the 10:00 p.m. boat Friday night. This could be a rhetorical question but is anyone going to be in the bar around 11:00 p.m.??
Conis
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brad...Seen the weather report for Friday? I am sure Barb will be serving survivors?

You might consider going to the bar before you get on the ferry!
bknoll
Pines Paramour
Pines Paramour

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That might be a good idea! One of the guys coming across is a nervous rider as it is. I think I told the story last year about how nervous he was coming over on Waynes boat with the waves crashing over the side and onto our truck. I was trying to take a short snooze but did manage to sing a few bars of the Edmund Fitzgerald just for affect!

(edit by conis) If your bud is a "nervous rider" and you are heading to BBI in the pitch black in 40 MPH winds, which I would guess would produce 6-10' footers... you might want to provide him with a blindfold and a couple rolls of toilet paper.

I am certain Curt knows the limits of his boat... I have no concerns about that. But for the benefit of your nervous bud, you might want to consider getting him across in daylight, if doable.
Jester
Gold Coast Guest
Gold Coast Guest

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I am certain Curt knows the limits of his boat... I have no concerns about that. But for the benefit of your nervous bud, you might want to consider getting him across in daylight, if doable.

He won't shut it down because of that ..... He's pretty good at washing the vehicles on the trip over. Accually, nighttime is better cuase ya cant see nuttin .....
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Bois Blanc Island Site Forum Index -> Conservation Corner All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: