Home The Bois Blanc Island Site
An interactive site for islanders and island lovers

Home  ::  Forum  ::  Album  ::   Calendar  ::  Memberlist  ::  Usergroups  ::  Register 
 Profile  :: FAQ  ::  Search  ::  Log in to check your private messages  ::  Log in 

Letter to BBI voters
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Bois Blanc Island Site Forum Index -> BBI TOWN HALL
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cindy Childs
Bois & Grills Club
Bois & Grills Club

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2006 8:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The problem therein lies...or perhaps it is lying...anyone can submit and get approval for commercial, with a special use, but to give carte blanche for any of the uses allowed in C2 is unheard of. An individual could say they were putting in a bookstore and end up with a salvage yard.
Or you could propose any number of businesses, present your plan, and get your zoning, then do what you want. Normally you present your specific plan and you would be given a special use permit that specifies what you are allowed to do.
If I understand this situation the flack is over that it is a rezoning to C2 for any of the usage allowed in C2; over-ruling the findings from the hearings and the planning commission meetings. Not a specific purpose. Am I wrong?
And it goes further, no one a year ago wanted commercial in that area, the opposition was duly noted through the hearings, the masterplan does not allow for it, so under the state guideline the planning commission recommended denial, and the board over ruled their recommendation and allowed it. So, the only way to stop it or allow it is the vote. Majority rules and the rest live with it. Unless any portion of the entire process violated the rule of law, then I think that even the vote can be challenged at the state Supreme Court.
It becomes a very sticky wicket.
theeislandgirl
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2006 3:31 pm    Post subject: mike Reply with quote

I am sorry to hear what is going on ..

If you resigned from the fire department i know you have a good reason to do so ..

I respect you deeply ..

you are a good man and a very honest one that wants things done fair ....

you were so proud of that fire department ..i am sorry this had to come to this..

my thoughts are with you and lani ....
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
mikewhite
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2006 6:42 am    Post subject: The way it is Reply with quote

It really doesn't matter what the plan was that got the rezone. Once it is rezoned, the owner can do what he wants with it. That is how it goes in the real world.
John Elmer Engel
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2006 8:51 pm    Post subject: Non-voters speak up. Land owners speak up. Reply with quote

We have properties on BBI that look as if they are commercial already...earth moving equipment sitting outside in full view, work vehicles, fuel tanks, etc. and this is not even zoned commercial. Do I want the same ugly landscapes on more properties...No way.

Most money is made on BBI thanks to seasonal land owners. I do not want more commercial property on the island. Cheboygan provides lumber, electric, plumbing, concrete, etc. I have never lacked any material or service. Bigger is not better. More is not better. My preferences for workers and materials is to use what we have right now, on the island and in Cheboygan.

C'mon land owners that are non-voters...speak up. This present power grab game to zone property commercial for one party is pure BULL. If I am incorrect with any of these statements, let's hear from the rezone folks and correct my faulty assumptions.
KELLY
Memory Maker
Memory Maker

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello we are recent land owners and have not voted up their yet. Can you please explain to me what is going on with the island? With the "which hunt" and the rezoning of property? Please explain it in easy language (blonde language) thank you. Also if we want to vote and can not make it to the island how do we do that. Thank you
Jester
Gold Coast Guest
Gold Coast Guest

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KELLY,
The beginning of this thread pretty much sums up the deal ...... I will copy and paste it again ....

In November the island will get to vote and decide the issue of how a piece of property will be zoned. A letter was sent to the voters. I know that you all want to be kept in the loop, so here it is.

A CRISIS ON BOIS BLANC 9/06

Dear Neighbor,
On November 7th you will be asked to vote for or against changing the zoning classification of a parcel of land. The land in question is currently zoned "Low Density Residential." You will be asked to vote for or against changing this classification to "Commercial 2." This land has been zoned for single-family dwellings for as long as BobLo has had a Zoning Ordinance, and the most recent update of the Zoning Ordinance was approved unanimously by the Township Board last October (2005).

If the proposed zoning change to Commercial 2 is approved by the voters, it will mean that the parcel may be used in perpetuity for the most intensive of commercial uses such as storage of heavy equipment, stockpiles of construction materials, road resurfacing substances and for the erection of large pole barn structures. Approval would also allow any number of other commercial enterprises to be constructed on the land. Just as important, it also means that any residentially zoned land, including land adjacent to your property, could be similarly rezoned to accommodate construction of a bar, junk yard, sawmill, campground, contractor yard, etc.

A little history: in October of 2005 the Township Board voted unanimously to approve the Zoning Ordinance update prepared by the Planning Commission. That Ordinance reflected public opinion as expressed in focus groups, public hearings, etc. Like the old Ordinance, it set aside and restricted future commercial development primarily to the area near the dock - from Hoover road to the Hoffman residence. But shortly thereafter, for unknown reasons, the Board voted 3-2 to make an end-run around the Ordinance they had just approved by voting to rezone the parcel in question.

We, members of the Planning Commission, brought suit attempting to at least get the rezone issue in front of the voters. We prevailed, and that’s why there is to be a vote on the 7th of November.

We love this island and want to preserve it. It is one of the few places east of the Mississippi which hasn’t been ruined by unbridled greed. We hope you will think carefully about all this. Do you really want free-for-all commercial development on Bois Blanc? Do you really want that junkyard or whatever next to you? If not, we need your help. We need your NO vote on the Bois Blanc Township Zoning Proposal.

OTHER THINGS TO PONDER
----- Many may not be aware that this whole mess has its origins in a family dispute. We know how heart-rending these can be, but we ask: is it the function of government to resolve such things? Are family squabbles appropriate drivers of public policy?
----- And finally a quote from the Michigan Appellate Digest:
"A zoning ordinance or amendment which creates a small area of inconsistent use within a larger area will be closely scrutinized, and will be sustained only if the facts and circumstances indicate a valid exercise of zoning power. Spot zoning is invalid if it is without a reasonable basis. ECONOMIC GAIN TO THE PROPERTY OWNER IS AN INSUFFICIENT REASON TO CREATE SPOT ZONING... (our emphasis)."

VOTE AND SAY NO!

SOMETHING YOU SHOULDN’T BELIEVE
- that we’re a bunch of elitist tree huggers who want to bring all change on BobLo, including commercial development, to a halt.

THE TRUTH is that we only want to regulate, and minimize, the negative results of such change. We fully realize the desirability of more employment on BobLo; how good it would be, for example, to be able to attract young families here. Does that mean we have to mess up the place? We think not. Surely spot-zoning commercial into a pristine residential area is not the way to go.

SOMETHING ELSE YOU SHOULDN’T BELIEVE
-that there is a desperate need for more commercially zoned land on BobLo.

THE TRUTH is that this notion, often loudly, even angrily asserted of late, has never been demonstrated - never proven. The truth is that this yawning chasm of need was only asserted after the long and tedious work on the new zoning ordinance had been completed. For all we know it may be true. And we realize that some, perhaps many, sincerely believe that more commercial is needed. Why then shouldn’t we, as a community, use the already established mechanisms of governance and planning to have a reasoned discussion of the issues? That, after all, is why these elements of government exist. Then maybe we could come up with a plan which would meet the needs of all the stake holders.

Want more information? Contact Bill Heinlen 231-634-7309, Lani White 231-634-7440, Fran Vallely

Vote and say NO! Vote and say NO! Vote and say NO! Vote and say NO! Vote and say NO!
KELLY
Memory Maker
Memory Maker

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I am not a permanent resident up on the island can I vote? My drivers liscense does not have the island address so can I vote?If I can vote how do I become a registered voter on the island? and is it to late. Thanks for the info Kelly
Al's Sister

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, no and it's too late.. It's great you're interested, Kelly.. Very Happy
Mini
Hawks' Haunter
Hawks' Haunter

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It seems to me that this whole thing is a little late in coming. Who owns that mess back in by Hawks store. That is awful!!!!
Troy
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think its already been said Kelly, but if I remember correctly, it doesn't matter whats on your drivers licsense. The catch is, you can only be registered in one place.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
joe
Hawks' Haunter
Hawks' Haunter

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anybody else think it's odd that so many land owners on the island don't have a say as to what goes on there? It seems like a very few people make the decisions that then affect everyone up there. Don't have a clue what the solution is, but it seems like all the property owners ought to have a way to vote somehow. The island is a pretty unique place with so many of the homes being seasonal, so maybe it calls for a unique solution in terms of voting. Just some thoughts.
Squeaky
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could not agree more joe........
Rob
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well put Joe!

http://www.bridge-view.net
Conis
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Troy wrote:
I think its already been said Kelly, but if I remember correctly, it doesn't matter whats on your drivers licsense. The catch is, you can only be registered in one place.

Correct: If BBI twp is your "homestead", where you are registered to vote as a resident, you can vote on local issues.

If I am correct, in Michigan, to have a residence as a homestead, one has to live there 6 mos per year and have a permanant mailing address. Owning property on BBI isn't enough. You can only have one residence/homestead, wherever.

I didn't write the laws. Don't shoot the messinger.
Cindy Childs
Bois & Grills Club
Bois & Grills Club

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last I knew you don't have to live there...just list it as your legal address, and register to vote. So for people who rent somewhere it wouldn't affect your homestead exemption. You don't even have to get mail delivered to a box, so the way it is both of my sons could list the island as their legal address, register to vote and then vote on the island. I think, I'll have to look it up. #Crazy
theeislandgirl
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2006 1:16 am    Post subject: vote Reply with quote

I could not agree with you more ...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
mikewhite
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2006 6:42 am    Post subject: Your say. Reply with quote

Joe, At present, the only way that landowners have a say, when it comes to planning/zoning, is to attend those 5 year meetings to update the master plan. That is why I notified everyone here that it was happening this summer. The meetings were held, and your voices were heard.

Here I go again.
The master plan is in the middle of revision to reflect your wishes. The only problem is that the very people that are listening to your concerns may be removed from that job. As a matter of fact, they may be removed, because they listened to the majority of you! The ones that may replace them may not have the majority of the landholders wishes at heart but their own interests.

The majority interest, of landowners, is expressed in the master plan. their interests pertaining to commercial property is on this site.
http://www.bois-blanc.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=907
mikewhite
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2006 8:32 am    Post subject: Answer to Question Reply with quote

NJean, You asked "Who requested the rezoning and what do they plan to do with the property? "

VanVoorhees are the sellers.
Joe and Clover Schlund are the potential buyers.
Mitch Begle &, father I presume, are the real estate people.

As far as I know there has never been an "official" plan submitted as to use of the property.

My opinion is Lani, Bill and Fran have impeded their interests.
NJean
Memory Maker
Memory Maker

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2006 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the info Mike.
Kevin Gibbons
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2006 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You do not have to own properity to vote, or there would be a lot less voters in this country. Not everyone owns properity.
Jester
Gold Coast Guest
Gold Coast Guest

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2006 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

**NOTICE REGARDING YOUR RESIDENCE ADDRESS:**

Michigan law requires that the same address be used for voter registration and driver license purposes. Therefore, if the residence address you provide on the voter registration form differs from the address shown on a driver license or personal identification card issued by the State of Michigan, the Secretary of State will automatically change your driver license or personal identification card address to match the residence address entered on the voter registration form. If an address change is made, the Secretary of State will mail you an address update sticker for your driver license or personal identification card.

End of story
joe
Hawks' Haunter
Hawks' Haunter

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2006 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I understand the way it works NOW. I guess my point was that the way it works now leaves a lot of people that have a valid interest in the goings on up there without a say as to how to shape the future. I understand fully that the Islanders--the year round residents--have more of a stake in these decisions than the seasonal folks, but it seems like everyone that has a place should have at least some influence on the decisions that are made.
theeislandgirl
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2006 10:23 pm    Post subject: Zone Reply with quote

Mike .. I am abit confused here ...

Does a contracter have to have a a certion amount of land in order to have a contracter buisness???

If that is so .. when did the plan change ??

I know Joey and Clover moved into their new home some time ago .. I do not know if they have kept all his working things he needs on that land ..where they build the house ......

Now the question I have is this .... is that why they are moving because by law they do not have enough land or is it because they just want to move???

Question 1

Last edited by theeislandgirl on Wed Oct 25, 2006 11:50 pm; edited 1 time in total
theeislandgirl
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2006 11:45 pm    Post subject: i clicked Reply with quote

Mike I clicked on the site you put up ..
but please answer the questions I asked here
Thank you ..

Question 2

Last edited by theeislandgirl on Wed Oct 25, 2006 11:50 pm; edited 1 time in total
theeislandgirl
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2006 11:48 pm    Post subject: land Reply with quote

Mike how much land do you have to have when you have a business like Joey and clover have ????

Question 3
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Bois Blanc Island Site Forum Index -> BBI TOWN HALL All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5

Jump to: