Home The Bois Blanc Island Site
An interactive site for islanders and island lovers

Home  ::  Forum  ::  Album  ::   Calendar  ::  Memberlist  ::  Usergroups  ::  Register 
 Profile  :: FAQ  ::  Search  ::  Log in to check your private messages  ::  Log in 

Letter to BBI voters
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Bois Blanc Island Site Forum Index -> BBI TOWN HALL
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mikewhite
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2006 7:07 am    Post subject: Good questions! Reply with quote

I don't really have the answers to those questions. Clover has probably been reading every word of this thread without joining in. You need to get the answers from Schlunds.
Kevin Gibbons
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2006 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not going to say any more on this subject just because that I have close family on both sides. I just hope that it gets done the right way. And with out making to many people mad. I have a hard time shutting up but I think this one I will. Good luck to everyone that is envolved in this matter.
Squeaky
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2006 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

joe, yes I too feel that everyone that lives there, owns property there and pays taxes there should know what is going on and why. Those that own property there may want to build or whatever in the future and they too would and will want to know what is what. People plan! Did I read somewhere that property owners were sent info on all of this a while back? Info on what all of this zoning fight is all about? I know in our community when something like this is going on there is a letter sent to all explaining it. Given a chance to attend the council meeting or write letters, whatever it takes to be a part of.
mikewhite
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 12:19 pm    Post subject: independent minds Reply with quote

Food for thought.

Suppose the three are dismissed from planning & zoning. Suppose, people who operate businesses on this island, replace the three. Suppose, some very wealthy businessperson or group, comes to the island wanting to spend big bucks to construct huge commercial things.

Now, the island business people, in charge of planning and zoning, have a decision to make. They can fawn to the wishes of those wishing to pay them thousands for construction, or they can say no, because the wishes of the majority of landowners are against that sort of thing. They would have to choose. They can be the voice of the landowners or make thousands.

Presently, it has been demonstrated that, there are some independent minds on P&Z.
Conis
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 1:23 pm    Post subject: DEJA VOU? Reply with quote

mikewhite wrote:
Food for thought.

Suppose the three are dismissed from planning & zoning. Suppose, people who operate businesses on this island, replace the three. Suppose, some very wealthy businessperson or group, comes to the island wanting to spend big bucks to construct huge commercial things.

Golly Gee Mike, You are suggesting a scenario on BBI similar to the exact same thing that happened on Drummond, in the 80's, when Monahan took over. Hmmm..since I was there at that time I sort of remember what happened.

As I recall, Monahan came in and got "organized" with the powers to be. There was insufficient zoning in place to stop him so he dumped 10s of millions into development and "transformed" the island into the loser it is today. And with that, the Drummond islanders became divided into two tribes: The majority who had an interest in preserving what they had and all the Monahan coolies who saw it as a gravy-train paycheck. Thats how it went. I didn't make this up

"It can't happen here"??? It sure can. Why am I privy to all the rumors flying around about development money coming to BBI?, if it hasn't already. Who stands to lose and gain? As usual, follow the money. This is ALL about the money.

Folks, you had better sit up straight and pay attention to whats going on. This situation represents much more than "food for thought". This may not be pretty... but it could get downright ugly unless the majority interests prevail.

Apples and oranges. How many of each? Which is worth more? Who gets to count?
theeislandgirl
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 4:53 pm    Post subject: islAND Reply with quote

Like I said before on one of these threads ...

I said something like Mike and conis said ...

IT COULD HAPPEN !!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Conis
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 5:05 pm    Post subject: Re: islAND Reply with quote

theeislandgirl wrote:
Like I said before on one of these threads ...

I said something like Mike and conis said ...

IT COULD HAPPEN !!!

Not IF but WHEN. The question is will there be stops in place, beforehand, to head it off.

The other question is: Does the twp board get it?
mikewhite
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2006 8:00 am    Post subject: See the light! Reply with quote

Coincidence?

People have short memories. Do I recall this correctly. Maybe someone could confirm or deny this.

The way I remember the last election of the Township board, the story was going around that Curt VanVoorhees solicited Gibbons, Schroka, Gilligan, Newhouse and Moore, to run for township positions.

The story of Curt was so widespread that I believe it to be true. I believe that a coalition was formed and may still exist.

Now VanVoorhees wants his land rezoned and the coalition ignores zoning and planning.

Coincidence?

I believe it so strongly that I thing you should “see more light” and so I will copy my letter of resignation from the fire department here:

-----------------------------------------------------------------
Tuesday, October 17, 2006

To whom it may concern,

Ever since the VanVoorhees coalition came to power a few years ago, I have observed, what I consider, cronyism on the Bois Blanc Township board. This latest action, to have a special meeting to discuss dismissing two or three planning members, makes me sick, in light of the sequence of events that led up to it and the underhanded way in which they have gone about it.

I have volunteered my time to the township for about 15 years now. Volunteering only works, when the volunteer, gets some personal satisfaction for doing it. At this point, the thought of volunteering my time and energy for the VanVoorhees coalition, makes me want to puke.

Therefore, in direct protest of their actions, I will no longer volunteer my time on the Township’s fire department as long as that coalition exists.

Michael J. White, Captain
Bois Blanc Island Volunteer Fire Department
John Elmer Engel
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2006 10:44 am    Post subject: Coalition Reply with quote

This "coalition" or "croyni-lition" seems to have a strictly selfish interest.

I see this whole thing this way: Rezone to sell "my" (VanHorees) land to a "specific" buyer. Roadblock: three planning commission members looking out for the MAJORITY. Solution: Trump up RIDICULOUS charges and dismiss the three. Fill the commission seats, duh, with more cronies.

I'm trying to figure out why J.S. wants the Van's land when his property seems to house his equipment and buildings in a very efficient and concealed way. Is there something coming that we do not know about? Is there a big developer grooming island workers to do his dirty but lucrative work?

Once it is rezoned, it will NEVER go back to what all islanders love...the natural beauty of the land. These people do not care about the land! They want unbridled land change or land destruction for construction of more suburbia or condominiums and for personal financial gain. We all love money, but when a person is willing to "bulldoze mom's grave", so to speak, for a buck, then you know that this is not a "shared community vision."

Call me radical, overreactive, whatever. When the natural shorelines disappear, when ATVs, PWCs, and Snowmobiles become part of "resort living" pasttime activities, the quiet, natural beauty of BBI will be lost. And the perpetrators will be gone, leaving the little guy, me and others, with the mess. NO, NO, NO on rezone. Re-instate the planning commissioners!!

Get rid of Loren Gibbons. He obviously doesn't understand that when only 50 or 60 voters exist on the island, they will talk to each other. If Loren wants everything on the table, then tell the good island people why this land change is in OUR best interest. Please, VanHorees, Schlund, Begle, Gibbons, tell us how this preserves and improves Bois Blanc Island.
Al'sOtherSister
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2006 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It makes me want to puke too, dear Captian! #Mad
Conis
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2006 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Al'sOtherSister wrote:
It makes me want to puke too, dear Captian! #Mad

Don't puke yet. Stay tuned.
Jester
Gold Coast Guest
Gold Coast Guest

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2006 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its to bad that the tribe can't speak this week and vote someone to Round Island for the duration and put the torch flame out for good. Maybe next Thursday evening Survivor "Bois Blanc" they will have a phone in vote .....
IslandDeer
Syrup Seeker
Syrup Seeker

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 12:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sounds like the same things from long ago, but worse. I always said the way the island goes, so goes the state, country and the world and all is very bad. Very divided. we seen roads being build, lots being put in and trees cut down and the bush left as is and more people coming building, rules put in place and they call it progress, so they told us, its now more progress. We didn't like it either, but money rules, island people had jobs and people from mainland also, people moved over. boats had alot of runs and the machinery coming over, it changed the island alot. The poor people start the living on the lands and then people likes the place either to make money or keep it like it is, so the poor people gets more rules and taxes and can't make it to live there, the people who are fighting about this already have their homes and land, so don't much care. People can get along if they try. Alot of busness has moved off the island. But there is contol out there. Who wants to live like city folks, sounds like it will be that way. We have the same thing here, people like to bring their ways with them and change the whole place. I also want to state that the Sitts wasn't wanted on the island and try and say ,because people complained, was must more then that. Things happened to them that alot of people don't know about and its not coming from, its coming from me. I was there and seen, I blame the township for it. I just wanted to add something to all this fighting, blameing and taking sides. Be postive and send some prayers out for peace for all, even the world, it could be worse.
theeislandgirl
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 12:33 am    Post subject: peace Reply with quote

Way to go mom !!!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
NJean
Memory Maker
Memory Maker

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 5:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I question why the 3 didn't take the whistleblower's approach rather than the lawsuit approach. What it really sounds like is happening is the abuse of power of a public position(s) which definitely falls under the whistleblowers act.

I believe this would prompt a full investigation by the State.
mikewhite
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 7:30 am    Post subject: Whistle Blowing Reply with quote

A very good point. You could blame the rest of the board for allowing Gibbons to get away with it. What "it" is quite a few times, from what I have heard, is that from time to time he makes unilateral decisions. Decisions are supposed to be made by the entire board at a meeting. There have been times, so I'm told, that he makes decisions on his own that cost the taxpayers money. The latest unilateral decition is this public hearing. There was no vote taken. It was his idea. As a supervisor he may have that right in this instance though.

I don't know if the three persecuted ones have even thought of the Whistleblower Act.

This thread is supposed to be about voting for or against a rezone. Get someone to vote NO on the rezone. Please.
mikewhite
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 9:04 pm    Post subject: To the Voters Reply with quote

ONLY EIGHT MORE DAYS. PLEASE VOTE NO ON THE REZONE
A REBUTTAL

The very last ballot item asks you to vote on the rezoning of a piece of property from Low Density Residential to Commercial 2. This property is located at the inside of Westcott’s curve. It is about 8 acres in size. There is only one question for you to decide and that is whether this property should be zoned for residential purposes or commercial purposes. However, some have attempted to cloud the issue so we feel it is necessary to explain.
The reason you get to decide the property's zoning is that the Michigan Legislature has wisely created that right. Michigan Law says that after a township board approves a rezoning, a citizen may draft a petition and gather signatures to put that rezoning on hold until the voters decide whether they want the property rezoned. The Township Board rezoned this property against the advice of the Planning Commission and in opposition to the Bois Blanc Township Master Plan. Therefore, we drafted a petition and gathered the proper signatures, but the Township Board refused to allow you the right to vote on the rezoning.
Therefore, we as citizens, and voters, filed an appeal against the township board seeking a Circuit Court order that you had the right to vote on the rezoning. The Township, for whatever reason, chose not to defend its decision to deny your right and by consent judgment agreed to allow you the vote. Now, you get to decide this issue important to the future of Bois Blanc Island.
The property is currently zoned Low Density Residential and is designated for future use as Residential in the Bois Blanc Township Master Plan. The Township Board unanimously approved this Master Plan. But, the Township Board has ignored the current and future zoning plan and voted to make this property commercial 2. You now get to decide whether you want your Township Board rezoning residential property in residential areas for commercial uses that may not be compatible with residential living. Commercial uses belong in areas away from residential uses and Bois Blanc Island needs to be careful to insure that this continues. We have the privilege to live in this special place and one Township Board should not lessen the special qualities of Bois Blanc Island. Send a message to the Township Board, and vote no on the rezoning.

Some of the things in Loren Gibbons letter to Voters need to be clarified or rebutted.

Procedure for rezoning
Number 5 is not included. It is explained in detail above.

Property in Question
The physical location is as described above. The VanVoorhees Trust presently owns it. Most of the land is in Government Lot 7 North of the county road in Section 31.

Presently suggested commercial property stretches between Hoover Road to Hoffmans property, a distance of over 7800 feet along the county road. There are other commercial properties outside that area. There is even Commercial 2 property for sale.

Definition of spot zoning n. a provision in a general plan which benefits a single parcel of land by creating a zone for use just for that parcel and different from the surrounding properties in the area. Spot zoning is not favored, since it smacks of favoritism and usually annoys neighbors.

The definition of spot zoning is not used in deliberations to rezone property commercial next to property already zoned commercial.

The township Board approved the rezone because it made sense to them. It does not make sense to the majority of the island landowners and ignores the master plan, which is the wish of the island landowners.

The lawsuit
If the township had wished for the issue to be on the ballot, it would have been on it in August. It would have cost almost nothing.

There were no meetings of the three to discuss the lawsuit. There was no violation of the Open Meetings Act.

No one has asked for a rezone to commercial 2 for years and years. Not a soul has asked for commercial 2 in an area completely isolated from other commercial property.

A possible solution to this commercial property problem would be to listen to the landowners and do what the majority want for the island.

The Planning Commission can not, by law, specifically prohibit (exclude) uses of the land. What they can do is PLAN where they want those uses.

Last edited by mikewhite on Tue Oct 31, 2006 8:59 am; edited 1 time in total
Conis
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Voters, Non Voters:

SIT UP STRAIGHT AND PAY ATTTENTION TO WHAT MIKE WHITE HAS POSTED!

This spot zoning isn't good for BBI. BAD is an understatement. This is a "sneak it through" twp maneuver. If you can vote on the island, vote NO. You really don't want this.

More this week. PAY ATTENTION, folks. This is important and will shape BBIs future!

Last edited by Conis on Tue Oct 31, 2006 11:10 am; edited 1 time in total
mikewhite
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2006 10:54 am    Post subject: The vote Reply with quote

It appears, that Lani, Bill and Fran have literally put their heads on the chopping block for the majority of island landowners. It would be nice if it is not in vain. Please get someone to vote no or, if possible, vote no yourself.
John Elmer Engel
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2006 12:18 pm    Post subject: Wallet Voters Reply with quote

Doesn't this rezone, if passed, threaten our established businesses? If a small store, shop, snacks place sets up shop, doesn't that intercept potential business from Hawks? Heck, I want to get rezoned for a small coffee shop, booze place on my property. They won't have to drive all the way to the Bar. Wouldn't that hurt Barb's business? If I were a business owner on BBI and busting my hump to just make a little money, I would sure hate to lose any business to some some enterprise that can bankroll a new business.

I know speaking out may cause someone to not do business with, say Hawks or the Bar. But not speaking out may be just the ticket for someone else to destroy those very businesses.

I brag to everyone I talk to about BBI and its businesses..."..one store, one bar, one B&B, etc." More commercial means less BBI ambiance.

How can this legally even come up for a vote? I've read everything, twice, this whole issue being on the ballot seems to have sidestepped legal protocol.
Kevin Gibbons
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2006 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK I wasn't going to get involved with this. But you guy's are getting carried away and I don't think half of you even know whats going on. Well here it is Joe Schund owner of Island contracting which has been in business there for over 20 yrs wants to buy some properity and move his business from a res. area to that. You can't just put him out of business something needs to be worked out. But I don't think it should be zonned com 2 either. But this is a business that has been there for a long time. To change the zonning we will see what the voters want that is the best way. I have been keeping out of this because my son Eric is in competition with joe what I say could be taken as biais. But Loren is also my family and I will step up when people start threatening. I'm going to stay nice through this post. But that could change.
John Elmer Engel
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2006 2:59 pm    Post subject: Joe's Business Reply with quote

Is someone telling Joe he can't run his business from his present location?
If so, I never heard about that.
Kevin Gibbons
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2006 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The land is residential where is
Bruce Lord
Tavern Tennant
Tavern Tennant

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2006 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grandfathered I presume?
Uncle Steve
$$ Site Donor $$
$$ Site Donor $$

Location: Big Rapids, MI and Eagle Ridge AKA Red Roof Inn (2006) ... East end BBI

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2006 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shocked If Joe has been there 20 years, and no one has DONE anything about it, then it should be allowed under a grand fathered Special use permit, that would revert back to residential at the time it is no longer used as it has been for the past 20 years.. This is a common action taken on such types of issues.. BUT I am not aware that anyone has told Joe he can not operate as he has been for the past 20 years.. If he has.... Please enlighten us..

Uncle Steve
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Bois Blanc Island Site Forum Index -> BBI TOWN HALL All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: