Home The Bois Blanc Island Site
An interactive site for islanders and island lovers

Home  ::  Forum  ::  Album  ::   Calendar  ::  Memberlist  ::  Usergroups  ::  Register 
 Profile  :: FAQ  ::  Search  ::  Log in to check your private messages  ::  Log in 

Letter to BBI voters
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Bois Blanc Island Site Forum Index -> BBI TOWN HALL
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kevin Gibbons
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2006 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hE HASN'T BEEN IN THE PLACE THAT HE IS RIGHT NOW FOR 20 YRS. bUT I DON'T KNOW HOW LONG. MAYBE 10 YRS DON'T KNOW FOR SURE. Didn't mean to have on the caps oh well. It doesn't matter at this point but something sould be worked out no matter what the vote is. List him there as non conforming that would a low him to be legal.
Conis
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2006 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So whats wrong with a non-conforming use variance? Or has this option already been through the wringer?

If it works the same way as most other places, his neighbors give him the OK and end of problem?
Kevin Gibbons
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2006 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with you conis
Uncle Steve
$$ Site Donor $$
$$ Site Donor $$

Location: Big Rapids, MI and Eagle Ridge AKA Red Roof Inn (2006) ... East end BBI

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2006 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Smile
Quote:
his neighbors give him the OK
Hence the problem " Family fude " Enough said..

Uncle Steve
Conis
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2006 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK. I am going to be an idiot and go way out on a limb here. Hopefully to be educated and enlightened about BBI politics. If I got something wrong, it is because I have mades some simplistic assumption and tend to think in rational terms. Feel free to educate me and bring me up to speed.

I don't personally know J&C Schlund. I have nothing for or against them. Why should I? Perhaps, others feel differently. I don't frequent BBI to choose friend or foe, make friends or enemies by association.

IF JS neighbors would not allow a special use variance for whatever reason, then there is the source of the "problem" Why not? Looks tidy, orderly and non offensive to me. JS has had a busniness on BBI for many-many years and ought to be provided the right to maintain his business with out hardship or zoning hoop-jumping. Is zoning so inflexible this isn't an option? Schlunds are trying to comply with zoning?

And right up the road is a residence with backhoes, dump trucks, trailers and and "stuff" parked all over. Enlighten me please, It this C2 zoned? I don't find this offensive either but is a question and possible contradiction.

And I see the NAGY dump is being cleaned up finally. Isn't this land C2 and for sale?

Someone PLEASE fill me in. I am trying to figure out why all of this "situation" has escalated to the place it stands? I must be missing something.

edited fpr clarity

Last edited by Conis on Thu Nov 02, 2006 10:08 am; edited 2 times in total
Al's Sister

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2006 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just want to remind everyone.. This is no longer a zoning issue.. Lani, Bill and Fran forced a referendum and it is up for a vote for the people allowed to vote on the Island.. The issue now is the potential dismissal of those 3 people who did their jobs in watching out for the community as a whole..

Thank you for the further details, Kevin.. It's helpful to know for the people going to the polls.
theeislandgirl
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2006 1:39 am    Post subject: okay Reply with quote

On this thread I asked the same questions that you now are talking about ...

I would think that Joey is Grandfatherd in ..

So does he just want to move or what ???? ..

It would seem some one should have this info about them ..

So if he is grandfathered in .. there has to be a reason for him to move ...Does he need more room ??? Does someone want to buy his home ????
I DID HEAR SOME TIME AGO THEY WANTED TO SALE THEIR HOME ......so what is up with this ??? .. I wondered at that time where they were going ..
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
IslandDeer
Syrup Seeker
Syrup Seeker

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2006 2:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

who ever wins on this will cause ill feelings for a long time to come and years to get over it and you wonder if it is all worth it? I have seen it happen. I have always wanted to see the Island a peaceful place, because it is with all its beauty and splendour. Takes the people to take it away., with selfish ways and the power to control. Its to bad that more people could vote and beable to vote on other issues too, being they own land on the Island too. And be able to get along. Many have come and gone from years past. I am glad I lived there when I did, wasn't all peaceful even then, but much better then now. When I was a child was the best, folks had a cow and sold milk and was in the pines too. We use to ride on the wagan and rode on the small boats from mainland and the old dock was the place to have fum in the water. And it was pretty peaceful then. Just plain people. Weall need to be postive and look up.!
mikewhite
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2006 7:51 am    Post subject: Blinders Reply with quote

I can't believe I am saying this. I do believe that normally the twp. does not want to bother people. They want peace. They do not want to make people mad. They put blinders on. I said before, the process here is complaint driven. If someone complained about Schlunds, or others, the twp. would be placed in a position to respond, especially if everyone knows that a complaint has been made. I also recall saying that when the twp., or anyone, messes with peoples lives it makes them mad.

Some speculation.
I can only assume that there has been no official complaints and therefore peace maintained. I don't think the twp. would ignore a formal complaint that is valid. If there have been complaints made, and it is being covered up, that would be wrong, and you would think that the complainer would be letting everyone know how they are being ignored.

If there had been no complaint on the rezone issue, peace would have been maintained. All those with a vested interest in the rezone would have been pleased. It takes some "guts" to not go with the flow.

On the subject of voting, I agree with my aunt. I think it is something like 90% of the landowners can't vote.. Of the people that can vote, it looks like around 60% are absent. That means that if all the absentee voters have voted, the election on the island is already decided. The votes only need to be counted. Lots of the absentee voters do not have a clue about the zoning issue unless a letter is sent out. That is why a letter has to be used to get the issue to the voters. That is what started this thread.

Last edited by mikewhite on Wed Nov 01, 2006 9:05 am; edited 2 times in total
NJean
Memory Maker
Memory Maker

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2006 8:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for speaking up Kevin. You are in the middle of a sticky wicket aren't you? It sure would have been nice if someone had mentioned this earlier in these posts. Though I don't agree with the way it was handled by the Supervisor and the Planning Committee, I at least understand the reasoning. What I don't understand is why it was such a big secret and why the property in question got C2 without any restrictions. This whole situation could certainly have been handled more professionally. I don't think anyone wants to put the Schlunds out of business.

I know the Schlunds had their place for sale and noticed the sign was gone this summer and wasn't sure if they sold it or if they decided not to move. It's a beautiful place. I sure would have a hard time moving from there. As far as the equipment stored out back, it never really bothered me. I never really thought about it much.

It certainly seems to me that there could be a compromise to this whole situation.
mikewhite
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2006 8:36 am    Post subject: Why go the way they did. Reply with quote

NJean, This part is my personal opinion on the Township. They bowed to special interests. That is why they allowed the rezone with no restrictions.

This part is not opinion, but is fact. The planning commission can't object to the decision of the Twp. They did nothing. They can do nothing about it under the law. The three landowners who did object followed the only recourse left under the law to "stand up" to the Twp. board. It was the only way they could do it legally. Now, the township , without proof, say they did it as a planning commission.

I have intentionally left Schlunds out of this. This is about the Township boards actions and how three landowners are trying to stop that action.

The reason you get to decide the property's zoning is that the Michigan Legislature has wisely created that right. Michigan Law says that after a township board approves a rezoning, a citizen may draft a petition and gather signatures to put that rezoning on hold until the voters decide whether they want the property rezoned.

Last edited by mikewhite on Wed Nov 01, 2006 9:14 am; edited 1 time in total
NJean
Memory Maker
Memory Maker

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2006 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree Mike. The whole thing was not handled appropriately. Sounds like there are definitely some small town politics going on. I really hate when public officials abuse their power. I have been in the position of being a whisleblower and it is not a fun place to be. Fortunately for me the powers to be sided with me and the problem was taken care of almost immediately.

There is another issue floating in the background here. People with vacation properties don't get to vote on issues that effect them and their property and that is just wrong. It may be time to get legislation to change that. The people with vacation property are paying most of the taxes yet have no say in regards to zoning etc on the island.
mikewhite
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2006 9:24 am    Post subject: Vote Reply with quote

At present, the only voice the non-voters have is through the Planning Commission. They are supposed to listen to all landowners and take the majority opinion.. If Planning is overruled by the township, because of special interests, there is not a problem with Planning. There is a problem on the township.

Without the offending three, as landowners, bringing this all into the light , there would be no issue to discuss. In my obviously biased opinion, they did the right thing.

Also, as I have mentioned before, if the three are dismissed, will the replacements be representative of the majority of landowners.

For those who can vote, vote no on the rezone. It sends a message to the township. For those who can't vote, contact a voter and let them know how you think. You do have some influence. Do not let let the three, who's heads are on the chopping block, actions be in vain.
NJean
Memory Maker
Memory Maker

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2006 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice thoughts Island Deer. I wish I could have seen the island then. I hear of the days when there was no crime on the island, no crazy ATV drivers, lots of fish and wild game, never having to lock your doors..................The good ole days so to speak.

Slap #Bad Talk Too bad some people can't grow up and act like adults and get over their differences in a civilized manner. Life is just too short for family feuds if that's what this is really all about.

Surprised I say vote no on the C2 rezone
    Rolling Eyes I don't want to get involved in familiy feuds or politics. I just want to go to the island and hide from the rat race in the peace and serenity of the island.
    Razz Find a solution for the Schlund equipment, but no unrestricted C2. They could sell this property someday and only God knows who might buy it and put up whatever. After all people do not live forever
    Shrug I certainly hope that the the Supervisor and the Planning Commission take a good hard look at what they have done and how they went about getting the C2 zoning approved.
    #Usa I appreciate what the three have gone through to protect what they believe the majority of the islanders wanted or didn't want. It's the do nothings that turn the other cheek that have made American Government what it is today. The most corrupt government ever. (I think that was on 60 minutes a couple of weeks ago).
IslandDeer
Syrup Seeker
Syrup Seeker

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2006 5:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What I would like to know , what the special meeting on Nov. 14 and its about utility and storage? And what the reason, ? I will soon find out, because Twigg will hunt for awhile on the Island. Changes is always happning there anymore. The Fall and winter are the best times on the Island, like here in Talkeetna, Alaska, less people. Thanks for your come back about the Is land of long ago. I always say I am so happy to have known the Island and lived there when I did, I feel the same about Talkeetna, Alaska. We are getting alot of people up here that bring there outside ways up here and trying to change the ways people have lived. And the old timers know the ways of this wild land. The poen that was written by my husband was taken wrong by many, theres alot of meaning to that poen, but some have never experience it. Keep looking up and be postive and hope for peace for the Island and the world.
mikewhite
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2006 5:10 pm    Post subject: Vote Nov 7 Reply with quote

Lani doesn't know anything about a Nov. 14 meeting. Maybe she wasn't told because the township expects her to be out of a job?

The vote on Nov 7 is about making a piece of property in the middle of low density residential spot zoned into commercial 2. It is not a vote for or against the three who fought for your right to have that vote. It is about land that will be changed in big ways if you vote yes. It appears that the majority of landowners are against changing it. Only about a 10th of the landowners are voters, however. Whole families and their extended families can and do mke big differences in an election by all voting as a block. One persons vote on Bois Blanc can be a big deal. So forget the mud slinging at the township. Vote on whether you want the land changed to commercial or not.
theeislandgirl
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2006 1:31 am    Post subject: vote Reply with quote

I know all of this has already been said before ...but I wanted to put my 2 cents in ..

All of the three should be able to stay until thier term runs out . Exclamation .
Just because Loren wants them out is not good enough .. He has to go by the rules .. maybe he wants them out so he can get three in there that will vote the way he wants them to vote ... well sorry ..that is not the way it goes ...

About the spot zoning .... if this passes and I hope it does not ... there will be summer folks coming to the island and will say " what the heck is going on ?" when they see the earth being torn up ..

They have no say so about it ... and either do I ...

Even though I do not get to the island as much as I would like too ... does not mean I do not think about the beauty on the island and all the memories .. and I CARE about what happens there ... I appreciate the ones that stand up and let their voices be heard ..

I want to say thank you here in this public post in front of God and every
body that reads this that I appreciate what Lani has done and mike too for taking his time to write to us to let us know what is going on there ....
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Squeaky
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2006 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When do their terms run out? Who votes them in?
John Elmer Engel
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2006 6:18 pm    Post subject: Nov 7 meeting Reply with quote

My take. I was at the meeting.

Loren Gibbons dismissed the three. According to his legal advice, which he got without twp permission, he does not have to prove any wrong doing. As he said, "It was my perception that the three were in violation...I don't have to prove anything."

Why were they dismissed? This is my perception. ( this is the BS section) BS BS BS BS BS BS BS and then the three were dismissed because they challenged the TWP's rezone actions as private citizens. not as planning commissioners.

Finally the rezone comes down to four parties:Schlund, VanHorees, Begle, and L. Gibbons. Schlund wants to buy VanHorees property but it must first be rezoned commercial 2 and thus the vote tomorrow. This whole ballot issue is to benefit Three parties, buyer, seller, and real estate agent. When policy is driven by two people, buyer and seller, I question the benefit to ALL island landowners. Seems to me that if I have commercial ambtions and I want to buy property that has to be rezoned to commercial 2, then I should get it on the ballot as well. I am not against Joe Schlunds fine service that he offers to islanders. But once this "pandora's box" is opened, what will stop rezones for the next people offering fine services? There are no stipulations, as far as I know, that will prevent another person desiring residential property be rezoned commercial 2, anywhere on the island...anywhere.

"Coming soon! Next to you! A very fine, necessary, island service, that isn't that loud, or that dusty, or that disruptive or that much of an eyesore and it's there, next to you. every day of the year."

This mess has more history. But the fact is, this vote will benefit Joe Schlund, his county contract and other businesses, VanHorees, and the realtor. Once the Genie is out of the bottle, it is tough to get him back in. This could spawn spot commercialism anywhere and everywhere.

Someone tell me differently if I am wrong. I am only trying to get this to the public as straight forward as possible.

I am not against commercial enterprises. But without a well written description allowing or not allowing rezones, this proposal needs to fail.VOTE NO! on the rezone
NJean
Memory Maker
Memory Maker

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 7:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally I think this whole thing stinks and if it were happening where I was allowed to vote, I would be out there petitioning to recall the twp supervisor and the others that sided with him. A supervisor with any integrity at all would have stepped forward and abstained from voting due to a conflict of interest. Would any of one of the three dismissed be willing to run for Supervisor? We obviously need someone that cares about the future of the island and not let the almighty dollar be the controlling force behind future decisions.

My question is, What's in it for Loren Gibbons?

I want to thank Mike and the three that put their necks on the line for letting us all know this was happening.

VOTE NO! VOTE NO! VOTE NO!
mikewhite
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Three that got the rezone issue on the ballot may be officially dismissed from planning tomorrow at the 4pm meeting. They were painted in the hearing as having done a bad thing. Mr. Newhouse said the agument over the wording on the petition is the reason why he is voting to dismiss. The lawsuit was an argument over wording. He said that was just plain wrong. There were those in the audiance who agreed arguing over wording to get the issue before the voters was unethical.

The township has done nothing officially wrong until they actually dismiss. If they dismiss, it appears that they will be breaking the law, because of a total lack of any proof that the Three did anything wrong.

The real kicker is that all these actions could be over a rezone that may pass, with voter approval. Not only are, the Three, possibly going to loose their positions on planning over this, but the township too, is willing to break the law, over a rezone issue that may pass. WOW! Politics, Bob-Lo style.

Possibly, the township will reverse course, if the rezone passes today.
Conis
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
The lawsuit was an argument over wording.

What was the specific wording on the petition?

I believe most are reserving further comment until zoning issue passes/fails. Also waiting to see what happens on the 8th.

Please continue to keep us informed.
mikewhite
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 12:38 pm    Post subject: Facts, as requested. Reply with quote

The published rezone wording was:
"Case No 1 - Section 31, Lots 7 & 8 north of the County Road. Part of Parcel No. 49-001-031-007-00"

The petition wording was:
"We, the undersigned qualified and registered electors, residents in the Township of Bois Blanc, in County of Mackinac, State of Michigan, respectively petition for reforendum of legislation in the matter of a change in zoning classification of a parcel of land from Low Density Residential zoning to Commercial II zoning. The location of the parcel of land, under consideration of change of zoning classification, is the portion of the Section 31 Lots 7 and part of Lot 8 north of the county road with a size of approximately 9.6 acres (Sidwell #49-001-031-007-00 0)

The description in the petition is the one supplied to Planning by Mr. Begle. Can you see a difference between the two wordings? This is what the township refused. This is what caused the delays so it could not be on the August ballot.

My opinion:
The petition to get the problem resolved was over almost nothing. Mr. Newhouse says the petition was just plain wrong and is his reason for voting for dismissal. In my own biased opinion, I believe there are other reasons, as stated in my letter to the township.

Last edited by mikewhite on Tue Nov 07, 2006 3:29 pm; edited 1 time in total
John Elmer Engel
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 1:39 pm    Post subject: Language Reply with quote

Thank you, Mike. I see a very BIG difference. As a concerned citizen, I want to know, is it lots 7 & 8 or 7 & part of 8. This is an example of doing business either properly or "close enough." Great parts of the island are under scrutiny right now because of survey mistakes. Here is an example of a mistake ON A BALLOT, to be voted on and the creation of another potential mistake created by short visioned thinking.

This whole issue has NOT been thought out beyond the end of Loren Gibbons, Begles, Schlunds, and VanHorees noses. Again, I am not against any individual, but I am against poor, poor, planning and poor, poor written stipulations.

Vote NO.
mikewhite
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 3:27 pm    Post subject: North of County Road Reply with quote

Planning was also not too happy with the description as submitted and used on the petition. The wording on the notice in the paper is how the township wanted it. The wording finally agreed to by the township and the petitioners on appeal is as follows:

Portions of Lot 7 and 8, Section 31 which are North of County road (also known as Lime Kiln Road) (a portion of Sidwell No. 49-001-031-007-00)

I believe the appeal corrected some vague language. So now in no way could anyone think a whole Lot was being rezoned.

I thought, but sometimes that gets me in trouble, was that by specifying the land as that portion north of the county road and giving an acreage amount, did limit the size. The voting language is much clearer though.

Also note that I am using the word "appeal" instead of "Lawsuit". Apparently, what was done is better described as an appeal. I am going to edit my previous post to reflect that.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Bois Blanc Island Site Forum Index -> BBI TOWN HALL All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5

Jump to: