Home The Bois Blanc Island Site
An interactive site for islanders and island lovers

Home  ::  Forum  ::  Album  ::   Calendar  ::  Memberlist  ::  Usergroups  ::  Register 
 Profile  :: FAQ  ::  Search  ::  Log in to check your private messages  ::  Log in 

Change of Date, Public Hearing
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Bois Blanc Island Site Forum Index -> BBI TOWN HALL
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mikewhite
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2006 7:03 am    Post subject: Change of Date, Public Hearing Reply with quote

The meeting that was to happen on Friday has been rescheduled. It appears that ""The Others" didn't follow due process by naming who they intend to smear or even to let them know the alleged crime. "The Others" have changed the name of the meeting from Special to Public Hanging, oops I mean hearing.

You may have noted that when someone pulls the kind of stunts like "The Others" are doing, [defaming my wifes character] it makes me go on the offense and not be mister nice guy. If I have your attention, I want to point out that the public hanging will draw attention away from the real issue which was a vote on the rezone. "The others" have put out a slick letter. I hope Lani, Bill, and Fran will rebut it.

Meet Friday Nov. 3 at 7pm
Al'sOtherSister
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2006 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Mr. Nice Guy...Sorry to hear about all the nastiness going on.
I hope all goes well for Lani and the rest. I am waiting for whatever the outcome may be..anxiously! Please let us know....
Love Lisa
Squeaky
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2006 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why can't you all just get along? Quit acting like of bunch of kids. Not setting a very good example...
bknoll
Pines Paramour
Pines Paramour

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2006 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With all due respect; if someone attacked my wife or family, I would come out firing with both barrels. I think Mike has showed a reasonable amount of restraint here.
theeislandgirl
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2006 6:14 pm    Post subject: meeting Reply with quote

It is not that easy squeaky !

Mike has reason to post these actions ..

and thank you mike for doing so !!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Squeaky
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2006 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like everyone here has said-to bad we can not hear from all concerned. But I am sure the other side has their reasons. But, oh well... I am sure Mike has the right to defend his wife and I know my spouse and I would defend one another also. But to air it here? Sit down at a round table and discuss the whole problem with those concerned. This taking sides thing is for the birds. The island is pretty darn small for those that live on it to be feuding. I'll say no more............. Good night and have a good one!
mikewhite
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2006 7:40 pm    Post subject: motivation? Reply with quote

The proper letter was recieved today explaining the false allegations.
I now feel sorry for Loren Gibbons. He obviously is getting very poor advice from his cronies. He now has me totally against him and maybe others too.

Obviously, Lani, Bill and Fran are not going to go off crying into the sunset. That means that Loren will have to spend more of your tax dollars in court.

usually there is a motivation behind something like this, and in this case it is not justice.
theeislandgirl
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2006 7:57 pm    Post subject: zone Reply with quote

What Mike is doing here .. is to let us know what is going on .. .
He is not just defending his wife ..

He has a right to post all of what he has ... and we have a right to know ...

What are you talking about ..airing it here ??? and people taking sides ??

The "other ones" could have spoke here .. but they decided not too..

Does that make it wrong for Mike sharing with us what is going on ???

NO !! NO !! NO !!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Al'sOtherSister
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2006 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not only am I Al's Sister, I am Mike's Sister, and Lani is a sister to me!
My brother is as honest as honest could be and I am proud and respect him dearly and will stand up for him with all my will.
He is a good man, and when he looks at a problem, he looks at it from all sides. Mostly, he looks at the outcome for all, and not for just a few. He thinks of everyone involved and not just for himself.
He puts information on this site so that people are informed. We have asked him for more information than sometimes I think he is comfortable giving. But I have seen him withhold his opinion on many occasions, so as not to over turn the "apple cart". I am proud to see him stand tall for his principles.
Gettin' down from my soap box now!
I Love you, Michael J !
theeislandgirl
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2006 2:28 am    Post subject: island Reply with quote

Squeaky .. How long have you lived on the island ???? Maybe you do not then it would be understandable that you would say the things you did ...

its hard for the island people to sit at a round table and work it out .. if that was so ..all the posting that was read here would not be here ..

There are those that try to do things underhanded ..

when I lived there I was on the school board ... when I went to alaska to see my family there .. a person that was on the board tried to get me off by lieing .. she said I had left my husband and kids and would not be back .. so I had to write a letter to the school board to explain that I was coming back .. the letter I had to send should not have happened .. they know where I was going and I would be back ... members of the school board or township sometimes have to leave the island ... that was like a stab in my back . it was very hurtful ..for me ... I would never ever leave my children .. I do not know if this member ever relized how hurtful that was to me ..... that act I call under handed and an outward lie .. how else can I say it ???
mikewhite
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2006 7:02 am    Post subject: Been there before! Reply with quote

I have been to a public hearing before where the subject was a rezone. It was in Kalkaska. The village wanted to rezone a part of town that had been residential for almost ever into Commercial II. That entire neighborhood packed the hall. I swear, over a hundred elderly people stood up and expressed how against it they were. Not one person in the public hearing audiance was for the change. As soon as everyone had their say, the council voted unanimously for changing to commercial II.

1. Whose interests did they serve?
2. It was obvious that their mind was made up before the hearing.
3. Why do I tell you this long story?

It will not matter what the public thinks at the upcoming hanging. What matters is what the board members think. There are two that usually rubber stamp everything Loren wants. Lani will have to abstain from the vote. That leaves one person on the board that will vote contrary to the other three. It will be interesting to see if I am correct on this. I would hope that there would be some independent thinking going on but we will see. The three who had the guts to go up against Loren will probably be canned at the hearing. I hope I am proven wrong on all this.
Jester
Gold Coast Guest
Gold Coast Guest

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2006 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like the Cheboygan City Counsil.
NJean
Memory Maker
Memory Maker

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2006 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How does one get on the Planning Commision? Are these elected positions?
mikewhite
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2006 11:46 am    Post subject: appointment Reply with quote

It is done by staggered appointments by the supervisor and approval by the board. If "the others" just wait a while, they can be rid of them in the normal fashion.
Cal'sAngel
Memory Maker
Memory Maker

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2006 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suppose it may be silly to ask, but it seems I missed something. What is going on? If it has already been discussed on here, then if someone could point me to the thread, I would greatly apreciate it. I am very lost.
Jester
Gold Coast Guest
Gold Coast Guest

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2006 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here

That is the thread that Mike started, hope that helped your knowledge base.
mikewhite
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2006 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Click on forum in the menu at the top. Then click on Island Events. You should see a list in reverse chronilogical order. Start with Pending Lawsuit with Township, then Letter to BBI Voters, and then Change of Date, Public Hearing. That should keep you busy for a while but lays out the whole thing in order.

My intent was to separate the zoning issue talked about in the Letter to Voters thread from the Public Hearing thread. The rezone issue was turning into a completely different, but related, subject. Maybe I should have let one subject continue to blend into another in one thread, sorry.
mikewhite
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2006 9:38 am    Post subject: Grounds for dismissal Reply with quote

You all complain about wanting to know what is going on and then not one soul asks the question, what are the grounds for dismissal? I am, of course, on my wifes side, and I will give you my point of view, but also I will give you the facts if you ask.

One fact is that I am a terrible speller. I wish this posting thingy had spell check.
NJean
Memory Maker
Memory Maker

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2006 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Simple solution for bad spelling. Type your responses in a program like Microsoft Word or any other word processing program, spell check it, then copy and paste the text into your post.
Jester
Gold Coast Guest
Gold Coast Guest

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2006 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, I'll bite .........

What are the grounds for dismissal? I dont even live on the Island and I know how you guys feel about this matter ....... When I first started going to the Island on the North Star, when we had to load it with 2 planks, there where many old cars and trucks that now are cleaned up, and alot of other things (to many to list) just laying around. I can feel the ideals that many have. Hope all goes well.

And to your spelling? You do fine Mike ...... Alot better then some people that post here and there .........
mikewhite
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2006 1:24 pm    Post subject: Grounds Reply with quote

First I want to point out that a notice of public hearing was posted and it asked to "submit comments concerning any of the foregoing by mail or fax to the following: Joan Schroka, Bois Blanc Township Clerk, PO Box 898, Pointe aux Pins, MI 49775 Fax (231) 634-7021."

The problem is that the grounds for dismissal are not posted, therefore, how can anyone make an intelligent comment.

Here is a condensed version of the letter mailed to the offending three and maybe to some of "the Others".
------------
The decision to dismiss will be determined at the next regular twp. meeting.

Nonfeasance- Zoning ordinance was passed ONLY with the promise that the planning commission would correct two itens of importance. 1. Require permit for house before a pole barn. 2. A matter concerning lot size and shape.

Malfeasance- You brought lawsuit against the board. IF you planned the lawsuit in a planning meeting which you were paid, it constitutes misuse of Twp. funds. IF you met separately, you are in violation of the open meetings act.

You wrote a letter to voters trying to influence their vote. IF you developed the letter in a planning meeting for which you were paid, you were in violation of using public funds for campaaign purposes. IF you planned the letter outside of a regular meeting, you were in violation of the open meetings act.
------------------------------

It is true that the twp was sued by the offending three to get the issue before the voters. This did not make Loren happy. It is true that the offending three also OFFENDED Loren with a letter to the voters. All the rest is an IF. It is allegations by someone who appears to be offended by the actions of the offending three.

I must point out again that the board will make their decision at the next Twp.meeting, and as far as I know, they can dismiss the three on allegations alone.

If they actually "hang" the three at this witch hunt, it will be very interesting to see who replaces them on the planning commission.
mikewhite
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 3:35 pm    Post subject: Continuing with said previous. Reply with quote

You know it is pretty difficult to submit comments to be read at a public hearing, unless you know the details of what is going on. Supposedly, the grounds for dismissal letter was not posted [made public]. That means that people that have read this thread are more in the loop then most.

It will be interesting to see who has sent in letters in which they know all the details. Those could be Lorens cronies. It may be that those same knowlegable people will be the same ones that would gain somehow by removing the offending three.

I would hope that some of you land owners out there would send in your opinion by fax to the township 231-634-7021. It's a little late for letters.
John Elmer Engel
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 4:30 pm    Post subject: Dismissal Reply with quote

Who does "Loren" think he is? I mean this in all sincerity. Is he like the "president" of the island or something? I know who he is but not what he is. I won't call him an "old thinker" but I know he is a very traditional thinker...which in many cases is detrimental to island interests. I know he doesn't think like me when it comes to preservation, but then many others don't think like me on that topic.

I am planning on being at the meeting and I will discuss ALL of it right here in the forum. Again, property owners need to be in the loop.

Thanks, Mike, for the info. I for one think this is the perfect place for a discussion.

I may be wrong and maybe out of line, but the dismissal stinks of personal bias and personal gain for someone else. The legal mumbo jumbo has nothing to do with the dismissal, I'll bet. This has nothing to do about what is best for the island but rather what is best for a few individuals.

With that said, I have to qualify these statements with "I am only guessing" so do not hang your hat on my words.

Think I shouldn't be "guessing" outloud? Oh well.
Jester
Gold Coast Guest
Gold Coast Guest

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yo , John, I think the guessing part is OK, but I think that after you say that you should close your threads with Idea

"I'm John Elmer Engel, and I approve this message!"

Just being a Jester I am .......... Razz
John Elmer Engel
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 7:09 pm    Post subject: Post script Reply with quote

Thanks Jester! That is a good finish for this time of the season.

....and I approved this message.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Bois Blanc Island Site Forum Index -> BBI TOWN HALL All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: