Home The Bois Blanc Island Site
An interactive site for islanders and island lovers

Home  ::  Forum  ::  Album  ::   Calendar  ::  Memberlist  ::  Usergroups  ::  Register 
 Profile  :: FAQ  ::  Search  ::  Log in to check your private messages  ::  Log in 

Change of Date, Public Hearing
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Bois Blanc Island Site Forum Index -> BBI TOWN HALL
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mikewhite
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2006 6:54 am    Post subject: Make your opinions known Reply with quote

Make your opinion officially known!
Fax the township at 231-634-7021
mikewhite
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2006 12:19 pm    Post subject: Their Watching Reply with quote

the Others are watching. On the 24th I wrote this:

"You know it is pretty difficult to submit comments to be read at a public hearing, unless you know the details of what is going on. Supposedly, the grounds for dismissal letter was not posted [made public]. That means that people that have read this thread are more in the loop then most. "

The grounds for dismissal letter has appeared in public places.
veva
Frequent Floater
Frequent Floater

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2006 4:36 pm    Post subject: Their watching Reply with quote

Would it be possible to get athan copy of the recall letter posted on this site?

Thanks Veva
mikewhite
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 9:47 am    Post subject: Here it is. Reply with quote

veva, I gave a condensed version of the letter on this very thread on Oct 23rd. You can refer back to that for my opinion of this letter. It appears that, due to prompting on this site, that the letter is now posted so people will not be kept so in the dark. To further shed light I have scanned the letter Lani got and it is in the Album on this site.

Note the first line.
To ask to not take it personally is like asking the grass not to grow. That applies to everyone involved in all the events leading up to this meeting, on both sides of the issue.

Click here http://www.bois-blanc.com/phpBB2/album_page.php?pic_id=1419
theeislandgirl
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 5:06 pm    Post subject: LAND Reply with quote

Mike ..
Thank you for letting us know and not keeping us in the dark .......about all of this .....

~~connie faye~~
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
John Elmer Engel
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 6:03 pm    Post subject: dismissal Reply with quote

Ok, I'll say it. This dismissal has nothing to do with breaking any rules. It absolutely has nothing to do with what is in the best interest for ALL voting islanders or BBI land owners. It has everything to do with four names. It's all about a huge money grab that threatens the very idyllic character of BBI. This is a cash cow that has been discussed behind closed doors for the benefit of those four. Screw the rest of BBI! Open your eyes seasonal visitors and land owners. If you love BBI, open your mouth. This entire action has been motivated by outside interests...outside of BBI and Michigan. Bois Blanc Island is nothing more than a comodity to be sold for personal gain for these people. Once the money is in their pockets, they will be gone and the small guy will be left with someone's ugly version of a vacation paradise. The dismissals are merely a step to further the money grab. Bank on it.

As always, I qualify this with these words, I don't know for sure if any of this has any merit. I'm just guessing. Really.
John Elmer Engel
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 6:11 pm    Post subject: My ltr to Joan Schroka. To be read Nov. 3rd. Reply with quote

In case you can't attend, write a letter, now, and mail it. I mailed this one today.

10-27-06

To: Joan Schroka BBI Township Clerk
Re: Zoning and dismissals

Zoning:

The businesses already established on BBI are more than enough to satisfy any request. Cheboygan and surrounding towns can deliver anything imaginable, including an airport landing strip, a 120’ flag pole, and 20 ton concrete trucks. Electrical, Plumbing, lumber, and hardware are available with one phone call. Plaunt, Cheboygan Lumber, Cheboygan Cement, and contractors can deliver anything to a building site.

More land for commercial zoning is detrimental to the natural beauty of BBI. More cleared land for the convenience of a quick bag of nails or a dozen 2x4s is ludicrous. New land owners know well in advance that building on the island requires additional transportation costs and is dependent upon the delivery of supplies and labor on the ferry. If this inconvenience is a problem they won’t build. But I promise you what may be one man’s inconvenience is another man’s treasure. I, for one, find that the slow pace, the inconveniences, ARE part of the fabric that separates us from the mainland and what makes BBI a such a unique treasure.

I suggest that if new commercial property is necessary, buy the big log cabin (Nagy property?) with its disgusting acres of rusting trash across the road. The only stipulation is the area must be completely cleaned first before any new business can start.

Dismissals:

I don’t pretend to know exactly why people were dismissed. But this smells to high heaven of greed and grudges. I want them reinstated. They represent me, my property, and my love of Bois Blanc Island just fine.

Thank you for your attention.

Sincerely,

John Engel
Rosemary
Bois & Grills Club
Bois & Grills Club

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Way to go John....I agree 100%.
theeislandgirl
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 10:38 pm    Post subject: LAND Reply with quote

I agree with you 100 percent ....

There is a beautiful home on the land .. right on the shore ..

and all the land you would need ..

My husbands parents .. Frank Richardson .. bought that land many years ago and had a business there for many years .. they sold it to Nagys ..
That is such a good idea ..why did we not think of this before .. ???

You wrote a great letter to the township ... good going ..
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
joe
Hawks' Haunter
Hawks' Haunter

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2006 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So. When exactly is the meeting rescheduled for and how many concerned folks from this site can plan to attend? It may make no difference in the end, but if no one tries to stop this we'll all be wondering later "what if we'd taken the time to object in person". Sometimes if enough right minded people confront a board the board will be embarassed into doing the right thing in spite of itself. Lets hope so.
Rosemary
Bois & Grills Club
Bois & Grills Club

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2006 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

November 3rd...7:30

If you have input, and can't be there, fax your letter to the Township....fax number is on this thread.
Conis
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2006 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rosemary wrote:
November 3rd...7:30

If you have input, and can't be there, fax your letter to the Township....fax number is on this thread.

Rosemary, you are a voter and have a few minutes, don't you"
John Elmer Engel
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2006 7:52 pm    Post subject: Dismissal Catch 22 Reply with quote

Please read and re-read the dismissal charges. Remember the movie Catch 22? Well this letter is a great example of a "Catch 22"

Lani, Bill, and Fran are being dismissed for alledgedly deciding to bring a lawsuit against the twp in a public meeting for which they are paid and this is against the law.

OR

Lani, Bill, and Fran are being dismissed for alledgedly deciding to bring a lawsuit against the twp outside of a public meeting which is in violation of the open meetings act.

Mmmmmmmm...when and how could these people bring a corrupt twp board to justice if not by meeting either in public or private?

Moral: You can't bring a lawsuit against the twp.

Please contain your laughter.

Write a letter A.) against the zoning proposal, B.) to reinstate the dismissed commissioners.
Uncle Steve
$$ Site Donor $$
$$ Site Donor $$

Location: Big Rapids, MI and Eagle Ridge AKA Red Roof Inn (2006) ... East end BBI

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2006 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shocked Shocked Did I miss something... ?? I don't recall action being taken YET..
That's what the " MEETING " is for. Soooo if enough consternation ( is that OK rosemary ?) is shown.... Possibly NO action will be taken..

Uncle Steve
Conis
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2006 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steve, your'e 10 laps out of sync on this trainwreck. Please stay tuned.
Rosemary
Bois & Grills Club
Bois & Grills Club

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2006 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HaHa, Uncle Steve...just don't try to use "fastidious".
Al'sOtherSister
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2006 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had to look this one up and frankly it just confused me more at what you were trying to say Unca' Steve.... Shocked

consternation[kon-ster-ney-shuhn]
–noun a sudden, alarming amazement or dread that results in utter confusion; dismay.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[Origin: 1605–15; < L consternātiōn- (s. of consternātiō). See consternate, -ion]

—Synonyms bewilderment, alarm, terror, fear, panic, fright, horror.
—Antonyms composure, equanimity.

A state of paralyzing dismay. See Synonyms at fear.

consternation

n : fear resulting from the awareness of danger [syn: alarm, dismay]
Uncle Steve
$$ Site Donor $$
$$ Site Donor $$

Location: Big Rapids, MI and Eagle Ridge AKA Red Roof Inn (2006) ... East end BBI

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2006 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very Happy Very Happy Al's other sister... Your post of the dictionary meaning for Consternation says it fairly well " Alarm. fear, disgust, amazement, etc.etc. at what's going on.. So “what I am saying is “.. what is being stated in most, if not all of the posts, Sooo go and express your concerns ... by word (letter) or mouth ( attend the meeting ) and hope for the right outcome.

Uncle Steve
Al'sOtherSister
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2006 6:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, Okay....thank you for explaining.
A very good point indeed!
Lisa
mikewhite
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2006 8:17 am    Post subject: 7PM Reply with quote

If you show up at 7:30, as Rosemary said, you will have missed a half hour of the "show".

MEETING FRIDAY NOV. 3, 2006 7:00 PM

Submit comments concerning discussion of removal to Joan Schroka, Bois Blanc Township Clerk, PO Box 898, Pointe aux Pins, MI 49775

or Fax 231-634-7021

The subject of the meeting is dismissal. The rezone issue will be avoided as much as possible. The primary thing for the board to decide is this.

Are the grounds for dismissal true or not, and can the grounds for dismissal be proven.

This decision is supposed to be made by unbiased people. In this situation, and the events that lead up to it, the people that must vote, may not be unbiased.
mikewhite
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2006 10:53 am    Post subject: Letter to two members of the board Reply with quote

Here is a letter I have sent to Mrs Schroka and Mr. Newhouse. I also delivered a copy to Mrs. Gahn. Here is how the vote will go. Loren will obviously vote for removal. Lani can't vote for or against herself. That leaves Gahn, Schroka and Newhouse. Mr. Gahn has in the past usually been in favor of what Planning has done. Schroka and Newhouse voted for the rezone and against Planning. Those two will be the key votes. All my attention is directed to them.
-----------------------------------

Public Hearing to discuss Removal from Planning Commission, Nov. 3, 2006

I am speaking to Mrs. Schroka and Mr. Newhouse. You are the ones who will decide the outcome of this hearing.

I hope you do not base your decision on emotion. I hope you base your decision on this.

Are the grounds for dismissal true or not and can they be proven?

I cannot speak to the nonfeasance part of this. I was not around to witness any of that. I am sure Lani, Bill and Fran will cover that.

I can speak to you about the malfeasance part of the grounds for dismissal. The Open Meetings Act is out there for everyone to read.

Have an open mind and consider the following:

A few lines in the act are relevant to this hearing. I will quote two.

First: MCL15.262(b) The definition of “Meeting”
It says that you are having a meeting if a quorum is present AND it is “for the purpose of deliberating toward or rendering a decision on public policy.”

My wife has told me that they were phoning, faxing and e-mailing each other, as landowners, to try to get the decision of a rezone before the voters. There was no meeting of the three.

Next: MCL15.263(10) Exemptions in the Open Meetings Act
It says “This act does not apply to a meeting which is a social or chance gathering OR conference not designed to avoid this act.”

Even if there had been a gathering of three like-minded planning people against your actions, it would not have been a public meeting of the planning commission.

Therefore, it comes down to this. Did they intend to avoid the Open Meetings Act? You would need to take the township into the courtroom and present evidence to support that claim. Do you have evidence to show that these three intentionally avoided the act?

I hope you can see that they have not violated the act and that there is no proof to support the claim that they have.

Leave emotion out of this. Please base your vote on the evidence you have. Do not waste the taxpayers’ money if you cannot support your claim.

Michael J. White, Sr.
Friday, October 20, 2006
Rosemary
Bois & Grills Club
Bois & Grills Club

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2006 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am so sorry, Mike..... 7 P.M.

Embarassed
mikewhite
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2006 3:33 pm    Post subject: What if? Reply with quote

Thats ok Rosemary, I'm just glad I caught it.

Here is more food for thought. One trustee of the Township is usually placed on the Planning Commission. Lani "lucked out" and was appointed years ago. There are only two trustees on the board. If lani is dismissed, the replacement would most likely be Mr. Newhouse. I have nothing against him at all, but he is a businessman on BBI. There could be a time when he might be faced with the decision, do I serve the interests of the landowners or do I make money by serving my own interests. Would he be tempted?

I need to paste in what I wrote on the other thread, Letter to Voters.

Suppose the three are dismissed from planning & zoning. Suppose, people who operate businesses on this island, replace the three. Suppose, some very wealthy businessperson or group, comes to the island wanting to spend big bucks to construct huge commercial things.

Now, the island business people, in charge of planning and zoning, have a decision to make. They can fawn to the wishes of those wishing to pay them thousands for construction or land purchases, or they can say no, because the wishes of the majority of landowners are against that sort of thing. They would have to choose. They can be the voice of the landowners or make thousands.

Presently, it has been demonstrated that, there are some independent minds on P&Z.
Cindy Childs
Bois & Grills Club
Bois & Grills Club

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 6:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The hearing on Friday will require the Board to prove that these allegations are true. The Planning Commission members have the right to know specifically who brought the charges against them. Then when the elected township board members vote, any elected person with a vote, that has a relative involved, a personal interest for personal gain, or any other conflict of interest aka nepotism must excuse themselves from the votes or the vote itself legally and lawfully can be challenged in State Supreme Court. Any member personally involved that qualifies under conflict of interest constitutes misuse. The misuse of an elected officials power then may become a request to the State Attorney General's Office for criminal investigation. The problem here arises in that the board must seperate the property rezoning, from the alleged violations of the planning commission members. Furthermore in the MCL the section that provides for the operation of the planning commission specifies what representation has to placed on the planning commission. There is a specified list of duties, responsibilities and functions. It specifies when, how and what they must do to comply with the law. It would appear that any demand from the supervisor that the planning commision revise the new ordinance to read a certain way would possibly also fall under misuse of power, but the township board always has the right to hear a request for a variance, so both of the nonfeasence items would not hold up under rule of law. Under the Mi.gov Supreme Court and Appelate Court pages you can find several cases already decided on these types of issues.

It would be advisable for anyone attending the meeting to write your objections down on paper...point by point. Because of the nature of the hearing anyone wishing to be heard that is a property owner on the tax role must be allowed to speak, and each and every letter sent must be read out loud and duly recorded in the minutes, if too many people wish to make statements, and if there are too many letters to be read they may have to make the hearing a two-part session.

No matter what the outcome of the hearing, this entire issue is drawing lines on the island. That unfortunately will not fade in most of our lifetimes. But standing up for what is good and right is always hard, and it still must be done.

It is not easy to remove anyone before their term expires, without specific concrete proof. The burden of proof is on the Township Supervisor.
Al'sOtherSister
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 8:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cindy...Thank You!
You have answered alot of my questions...
Lisa
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Bois Blanc Island Site Forum Index -> BBI TOWN HALL All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: