Home The Bois Blanc Island Site
An interactive site for islanders and island lovers

Home  ::  Forum  ::  Album  ::   Calendar  ::  Memberlist  ::  Usergroups  ::  Register 
 Profile  :: FAQ  ::  Search  ::  Log in to check your private messages  ::  Log in 

RURAL POLITICS 101
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Bois Blanc Island Site Forum Index -> Island Events
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Conis
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2006 4:52 pm    Post subject: RURAL POLITICS 101 Reply with quote

OK OK, the CONIS treatise: (WARNING LONG POST)

I had prepared a two page letter that I intended to fax to Ms Schroka , in defense of the planning commission members and outlining what I saw as being the problems with the C2 zoning and all the rest of “it“. I had intended to do this prior to Fridays meeting. I think I will hold back until after. From what I can see, the planning commission members have lots of support, my letter is possible overkill… but mostly I am learning that this IS NOT a simple issue.

There are some problems there, no doubt. I hope to put this into a little better perspective and maybe settle things so they can be resolved sensibly and without undeserved “dismissals”.

So I will begin by writing about “elsewhere“:

I have been involved with (and observant of) “rural“ Millbrook township politics for 30 plus years. I have never held office because I couldn’t possibly win. I am registered to vote here. I couldn’t win because I am not 4-5th generation local so no voter support. The town hall is a basic 125 year old one room building also used for wedding receptions and you name it.

Local twp power is held by two “centennial” families. I’ll call one the Hatfields and the other, the McCoys. Occasionally there are others on the board but there are two dominating forces. And probably always will be.

Now then. Once upon a time in fantasy land, probably after I took civics in high school, I was under the idyllic impression that democracy had something to do with scruples and community service… all based on integrity, credibility and accountability. I have since learned that must be on some other planet and pitched that fantasy in the dumpster. Nor does this imply that anyone serving in local government is a self serving crook with a tribal agenda. A tough job which someone has to do. It would be a much easier job if family ties and government could be disassociated. But this is the real world in the hinterlands.

I have seen it all: Spins, dodges, camouflage, coalitions, sabotage of coalitions. (the short list) It is all down, dirty and under the table. Decisions are made at the coffee shop. The meetings are formalities where the members either vote then run out the back door, or if it doesn’t look good, table an issue for infinite further discussion and vote when “ the weather is right“. I wouldn’t call this “corrupt” per se, Just the reality of rural local politics. If the entire board were recalled, you would have new members with the same last names and different faces. Recall Darrel and vote in his other brother Darrel (remember Newhart show?) It also looks likes like the underhanded rule bending of it all has gotten worse with new less scrupulous generations taking the helm.

So much for home. I have also gotten involved in issues in three Cheboygan twps.: Tuscarora, Ellis and Koehler. Worth going for an insight or to figure out who is friend / foe. A waste of time to get up and make a statement of voice a concern. You will be politely thanked and permanent end of discussion.

How does this all relate to Bois Blanc Township? What would you expect to be different?

There is one difference and it is a huge one: The ratio of voting to non voting taxpayers. How many of the island voters are in positions? And they call the shots and run the show. That part is the same.

I have studied this recent “situation”. Appears to me that just about everyone involved is somehow related to one another. How is it possible to separate out family alliances and coalitions, from unrestricted government with such a small pool of potential officials? Good luck. It is like government is a frosting on the cake and each gets a turn at licking the frosting? (or something like this) One huge ongoing conflict of interest if it is allowed to become that, and sometimes it becomes EXACTLY that. And then things smooth out before the next flair up.

One other difference is that those in office often represent directly or indirectly (through family ties), island business owners. (how many business in the island 4-6?) More conflict of interest: financial gain. Which… may put them at a disadvantage if they can’t get along or fail to appreciate the interests of the non-voting majority. The non-voters may not vote at the ballot box, but will vote with their wallets in choosing which business to support, or not.

Lastly, and I have said this before, If you want to keep them (whoever “them” is, or will ever be) credible, accountable and honest, then turn on the floodlights and bring the twp. meeting transcripts ON LINE for public scrutiny. This IS the information age and doable at low cost and minimal effort. This REALLY changes things in the accountability department, BEFORE the meetings rather than play catch-up after done-deals.

I say ON LINE. I mean verbatim… all of it. Have you ever seen the twp minutes, not from BBI specifically, but about anywhere. Generally a summary at best. What was generally discussed but not by who said what, about ? And then the tape gets recorded over. And through the cracks, it goes.

It appears there are some important issues before BBI zoning that could affect all island taxpayers. I also sense there is considerable frustration among board members who see the need to resolve these problems sooner than later… No doubt that something has come to the surface that has to be dealt with.

My larger concern is “what has precipitated this”? Internal problems in the BBI twp government? Maybe those issues need to be examined if they are impeding the efficiency of decision making.

I hope issues can be resolved short of dismissing the three planning members who impress me as competent, hard working and dedicated. “Firing” them seems like a hasty shot to the foot. Maybe it is time for a compromise and regroup? Toss a little reason and sanity into the mix?

I am understanding a little more about the C2 spot zoning. I don’t know what the options or alternatives have been? I understand it goes against the master plan. It may also prevent resolution of another previous zoning issue? Maybe a one-shot compromise is the only solution, or not.?

It would help to hear from “the others” as to their position and options. Bring us ALL up to speed. Saying nothing , says quite a lot about nothing.

So, that is the Conis take as of the time of this post. Subject to future revision as this unfolds.

This is my message and I endorse it.
Jester
Gold Coast Guest
Gold Coast Guest

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2006 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I for one (1) would not mind at all to be able to post the minutes (as they say) on my website on a seperate page noted on the main page as *News Letter* or something to that idea. I recieve above 100 hits per day on the main page and it is a professional looking site.

I am an "outsider" to the majority of this seeing that I live in Cheboygan, but I have been going to the Island for years. I have many friends on both sides of this political issue and I also don't really have a view to give any of the people. I am just providing an alternate avenue of ON LINE viewing.

This issue seems to generate many ideals both pro and con as to which MY issue seems to also, which is another fact to concider.

Conis, the intellect of your post seems right on the money and I'm sure you have seen many many times that the opposition will ALWAYS hold mute to the fact until brought in front of the opposition face to face with fact or fiction or until THEY deem neccesary to open up their views. True or false?

Then again, many people will say one thing and then turn around and do yet another, and when confronted on the fact, they say that they did not say anything to the fact of what was said. That is why the ON LINE publicity of the minutes or even verbal agreements should be documented. Ever call a creditor and hear "This conversation may be recorded" before?

There should be a clause involved in the running of the polital seats that states that Exclamation "No party involved in any polital seats shall be a relative to the other party running for this election or a relative that already holds a seat on this board." Exclamation That should cure a few details.

In closing, I certainly hope this issue has a peaceful ending and that both sides of the coin have thier ego's massaged so they cause no enemies. Everyone that is envolved in this, have been living on the island for a very long time and I hope this doesn't conflict with thier friendship. Remember, True friends last forever

My name is Jester and I approve this message.
Conis
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2006 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
There should be a clause involved in the running of the polital seats that states that "No party involved in any polital seats shall be a relative to the other party running for this election or a relative that already holds a seat on this board." That should cure a few details.

Do that and no one would be eligiable for office north of M 72. Or around here for that matter.
Jester
Gold Coast Guest
Gold Coast Guest

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2006 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It sure would cure alot of issues though. But you do have a good point.
Conis
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2006 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jester wrote:
It sure would cure alot of issues though. But you do have a good point.

That WAS my point. We have theoretical seperation of church and state. Be just dandy if we had seperation of family interests and state.

Yours truly,

Darrel Hatfield VII
twice removed /replaced

PS
14x married into the McCoy clan.
Uncle Ned is my cousin and stepbrother.
His mom is my sister. His dog is my best friend.
I'll be your leader until everybody gets pissed and runs me out of town, then Darrel VIII gets my seat? And pisses everybody off.
Please send me campaign money.
Thankyou for letting me be sarcastic. helps me from getting pissed off.
West End Piper
Pines Paramour
Pines Paramour

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2006 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Conis, I just wanna know how you got Doug Miller to pose for your new avatar. Laughing
Conis
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2006 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

West End Piper wrote:
Conis, I just wanna know how you got Doug Miller to pose for your new avatar. Laughing

Piece of cake. Took your picture off and gave him the 3 avatar for $5.00 package deal rate.
Al'sOtherSister
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2006 7:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What is up with all the caveman avatar mentality around here anyways? LOL!
West End Piper
Pines Paramour
Pines Paramour

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2006 7:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We're gettin' primal!! Twisted Evil

By the way Conis, I'm hurt. I can't believe you replaced my picture with the angry attorney! Crying or Very sad
Conis
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2006 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Al'sOtherSister wrote:
What is up with all the caveman avatar mentality around here anyways? LOL!

HUBBA HUBBA CAVEWOMAN BABE. Welcome to the tribe!
We all need to get together and burn some dinosaur butt ?
doug miller
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2006 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ooops! Almost forgot, Conis. That long (but not too long) post that analyzed small town politics was EXCELLENT! Probably the best political analysis I have read anywhere, anytime! Perfect actually. You are the best and I am thinking a national syndicate would do well to publish your editorials. (Hope that is enough to keep my picture up for a few more weeks.)

Actually, before I read the Piper's post, I was going to say that I thought your analysis was excellent. Politics in the real world vs politics in a Civics textbook. And it applies in many ways to what happens in Lansing and no doubt D.C. (E.g., it was well-known that the last Speaker of the Michigan House hung out early in the morning at a Beaners coffee shop in Lansing and it was a good place to discuss issues with him and get things done. Now he's a lobbyist and he still goes there in the a.m. (he used to be a farmer).
Al'sOtherSister
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2006 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is Rachel Welch... she made for a pretty cavewoman did't she?

After seeing the pics of the Halloween Party, I think I need to plan a trip next year for the party, but only if my brother wears that hot priest outfit again. LOL!

Ug, me want some dino butt, medium well please!
Kevin Gibbons
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2006 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like wash D.C. screwing the h **** out of the rest of us. So there rich corp can get richer.
Conis
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2006 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kevin Gibbons wrote:
Sounds like wash D.C. screwing the h **** out of the rest of us. So there rich corp can get richer.

Here, there anywhere, everywhere. How have things gotten so screwed up?Average working guy and middle class, doomed? The well never runs dry? Just print more money.
Kevin Gibbons
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2006 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There way of fixing things is called out sorcing, sending out our jobs to cheap labor so it don't cost them as much. I would like to know who down the road is going to be able to afford to buy there product all our jobs will be over seas. There will be the rich and the poor. Who we depend on, is the middle class, because that is who spends the money in the economy. Any one that votes republician this year has the biggest set of blinders on that ever was. The real estate market is real bad the building market isn't there and the gas prices are all ready starting to rise. There not even waiting for the election. Even the real estate attorney's are complaining now that is different. Even my doctor is complaining and he said that the high cost of medical ins is putting people and small businesses down. He said that blue cross has more then tripled since 2000. And still going up. I don't know what oil was back in 2000, but it is a yeck of a lot higher today. We are paying out billions for these imigrants health care and social security that they don't even pay into. Why isn't our current adminstration doing any thing about it. The big corp. keep hire them because they aren't being stopped. The adminstration getting to much under the table money from them. Do all of us a favor and vote DEMOCRAT. It is our only hope to get this country back on track.
Uncle Steve
$$ Site Donor $$
$$ Site Donor $$

Location: Big Rapids, MI and Eagle Ridge AKA Red Roof Inn (2006) ... East end BBI

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2006 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing Laughing For those that know me, you know I don't agree with Keven, regarding the state of our country, however that is his right to make his feelings known via this public venue.. I would suggest that the most important issue at this time.. Make SURE YOU VOTE for the best person available, even if means voting a split ticket.. ALL Democrats/Republicans are not bad people.. There are good ones on both sides of the Isle..

Uncle Steve
Rich
Bois & Grills Club
Bois & Grills Club

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2006 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A politician ,by definition, is somebody who is skilled in the art of campaigning. We as a country don't benefit from this. I think the two party system is an embarrassment to this country. It's like two college fraternities that refuse to graduate and get real jobs.
Our election process is broken and we need to fix it.
Here are some regulations that I believe would help produce quality politicians.

#1 Candidate must be 50 to run for any public office. This eliminates career politicians and people who are still wet behind the ears.
#2 Candidate must meet certain criteria (education & experience) to qualify
#3 Limit campaign funding to an amount that any serious candidate can raise not just the wealthiest.
#4 Disallow smear tactics, make them speak only of themselves.
#5 Publicly fund the airtime for weekly debates (in a public forum). Let them talk about eachother face to face and field our questions without time to prepare. The cream would rise to the top very quickly.
#6 Term limitations on all elected positions (my preference would be 12 yrs.)

I believe this would give the power back to the majority.
Uncle Steve
$$ Site Donor $$
$$ Site Donor $$

Location: Big Rapids, MI and Eagle Ridge AKA Red Roof Inn (2006) ... East end BBI

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2006 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very Happy Very Happy TD my friend...What exactly would you do IF Dick did win ?? AND would you give me 1 day to draw a crowd. ??

Uncle Steve
Conis
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2006 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Uncle Steve wrote:
Very Happy Very Happy TD my friend...What exactly would you do IF Dick did win ?? Move to Montana tomorrow AND would you give me 1 day to draw a crowd. from where?, Detroit? ??

BRING IT ON!

edit: We will save this for 1-1 discussion: Dick Devoss s*cKs, Consider that Even the hard core RWers are put off by this silver spoon twink.. Pick it up from there on a comeback.

TDC

Last edited by Conis on Fri Nov 03, 2006 10:03 am; edited 3 times in total
Rich
Bois & Grills Club
Bois & Grills Club

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2006 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Conis,
My my problem with our system doesn't lie in the way we process ballots, I don't believe in that conspiracy theory. My problem lies with the way we harvest cadidates, with this current system you yoursef agree that money (and those behind the money) dictate who our cadidates will be. These select politicians are puppets controlled by people who don't have our best interests in mind. My point is that the best man for the job can't win because he is never in the running. My last and only vote for President was for Perot, simply because he understood money, he would have gave the independants credibility and he would have provided us with a wealth of knowledge about the inner workings of our government.
I would have voted for Wesley Clark had he made it because he struck me as an honorable man but his type never seem to make it to the finish line.
Conis
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2006 12:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rich,
I voted for Perot, too, a spoiler tht got Clinton elected, not bad, Perot elected Clinton, any arguement on this?

As long as we have two parties, only, in contest, it willl be poke in one eye or the other. Lesser of evils Black or white with no grey, ,middle road neutral option. All an independant can do is tip it a little

I like Canadas "no confidence" "get them the hell out" option when the don't perform. Maybe why Canada doesnt have our problems ? Another discussion for later.

Last edited by Conis on Fri Nov 03, 2006 6:59 am; edited 1 time in total
theeislandgirl
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2006 12:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JESTER ... YOU ARE NOT AN OUTSIDER AS FAR AS THE ISLAND GOES .. ALOT OF THE SUMMER PEOPLE LIVE OUTSIDE OF MICHIGAN..

ALSO IF YOU COULD REPORT THE MIN. OR WHAT EVER .. I WOULD APPRECIATE IT ...

AS FAR AS BEING A DEM OR REP ... THERE ARE SOME OLDER PEOPLE THAT DO NOT SPLIT THE TICKET .. BUT MOST DO I WOULD SAY NOW ...

ALL THE PRES. WE HAVE HAD THERES ALOT OF THINGS THEY GET BLAMED FOR THAT STARED BEFORE THEY CAME INTO OFFICE ...

I AM GLAD I WAS RAISED INTO A FAMILY THAT TALKED OF THE PRESIDENTS ...GOVEVMENT AND SO ETC ECT ECT ... ..

I VOTED FOR PEROT ...

I AM TRYING TO LEARN ALL ABOUT THE PEOPLE IN THE TOWN I LIVE IN NOW AS I HAVE NOT BEEN HERE THAT LONG AND ITS TAKEN AWHILE .. IN NEVADA I HAVE BEEN KNOWN TO GO OUT KNOCKING ON DOORS EXPLAINING TO THEM WHAT WAS GOING TO HAPPEN IN OUR LITTLE NEIGHHOOD IF WE DID NOT GET THESE NAMES ..MOST OF THEM HAD NO IDEA WHAT WAS GOING ON .. THEY WERE FREE TO SIGN OR NOT TO SIGN ... I HAVE TO LAUGH THOUGH AS ONE GUY ORDERED ME OFF HIS LAND !!!! AS HE WAS FOR WHAT WAS GOING TO HAPPEN .. BUT MOST AS I SAID DID NOT AND THEY WERE GLAD I TOLD THEM ..

I AM USING THE CAPS NOT TO SHOUT AT ANYONE .. BUT BECAUSE I JUST WANT TOO ...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
theeislandgirl
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2006 12:54 am    Post subject: VOTE Reply with quote

OH BY THE WAY WE WON !!!!! Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
NJean
Memory Maker
Memory Maker

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2006 7:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perot and hopefully Devos go to show that personal money can't buy a political position and that is good news. I just love the commercial where they show Devos's face turn into Bush and back to Devos and they ask the question "What's the difference?" Pretty cleaver.

Devos is nothing but a spoiled rich kid playing off the success of his father. I believe all this shipping jobs overseas happened after he took over Amway/Quickstar or whatever it is called now.

I too have always voted a split ticket. I would like to see them allow us to vote spit ticket in the primaries too. That straight ticket is BS nowadays. I personally would like to see the party system eliminated. The Hatfields and McCoys are the Republicans and Democrats and it's why nothing ever gets accomplished.
Ron Petersen
Lake Mary Muse
Lake Mary Muse

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2006 7:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't imagine anyone not voting a split ticket - it would be rare that all the candidates in one party could be the best for everyone - But I suppose it could happen.
My feeling is a little sour on politicians anyway - I always thought that too many of them were just "Puppets on a string" saying whatever you wanted to hear to get elected and then pretty much take a few years of work off until the next election rolled around.

REMEMBER - IT'S A GOOD THING WE ARE NOT GETTING ALL THE GOVERNMENT WE ARE PAYING FOR!!!!!!!!!! Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Bois Blanc Island Site Forum Index -> Island Events All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: