Home The Bois Blanc Island Site
An interactive site for islanders and island lovers

Home  ::  Forum  ::  Album  ::   Calendar  ::  Memberlist  ::  Usergroups  ::  Register 
 Profile  :: FAQ  ::  Search  ::  Log in to check your private messages  ::  Log in 

RURAL POLITICS 101
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Bois Blanc Island Site Forum Index -> Island Events
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ron Petersen
Lake Mary Muse
Lake Mary Muse

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2006 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A little off track, but I just saw a great political joke

Son asks Dad - Do all fairy tales start out with "Once upon a time"
Dad replies - No, many start out with "If I am elected I will" Laughing
Al'sOtherSister
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2006 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ron...too funny!

Lisa
West End Piper
Pines Paramour
Pines Paramour

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2006 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe if you let them get married, it'll cut down on some of that promiscuous gay sex that you're so concerned about.

The "AIDS" class that the kids receive, deals with the dangers of contacting another child's bodily fluids. There are other bloodborne pathogens to be concerned about as well.......Hepatitis for one. In my work, I am privy to the medical histories of many people. You'd be surprised at how many of them have communicable diseases. I hope you don't let your prejudicial attitude about the AIDS virus and one of the ways that it is spread, affect your child's safety, by denying him important information about bodily fluids and good hygiene practices.

Last edited by West End Piper on Fri Nov 03, 2006 7:31 pm; edited 1 time in total
Squeaky
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2006 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aids is a horrible disease that can and could have been prevented. And it is not just from homosexuals. What about our drug-needle using community that uses their dirty needles and then they go home and have sex with their spouse? Aids is every where. The only difference is, here they can get medical help for the disease. And what about the innocent ones that have been afflicted with the disease? The hemophiliac's? They got the disease thru the blood factor that they have to get. Our Red Cross messed up there way back in the 80's. Paying people to give blood. Junkies or whomever.....
West End Piper
Pines Paramour
Pines Paramour

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2006 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rich - He's NOT my JC, and I don't blame him for anything. The dude has been dead for 2000 years! He's not influencing my life, any more than any other decomposed corpse in the local graveyard! (Except for all the yo-yo's trying to bring religion into my government/life, even though I don't want or need it.) That is, if he ever truly existed. See, scientists while dating texts, written by various traveling minstrels and story tellers, figure that the first time anyone even wrote about JC was about 300 years after he "died". I'm not thinking that their info was any too accurate, given the nature of information exchange 2000 years ago. Writing an accurate account of someone's life who lived 300 years ago, in today's day and age would be extremely difficult. Now just imagine trying to gather reliable information about JC 2000 years ago, when almost noone could write and paper was in scarce supply. Word of mouth was how info was exchanged, and we all know how accurate that is. Pick up the issue of National Geographic from a few months ago. The one with "The Gospel of Judas" on the cover. While you're at it, read "The age of reason" by Thomas Payne. The enlightenment is waaaaaay overdue! Very Happy
IslandDeer
Syrup Seeker
Syrup Seeker

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2006 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sounds like to me theres alot of people that needs some details from the old timers, You need to know the old history. Need to know about alot of things that has happen to this country. I wish I had more time.
Rich
Bois & Grills Club
Bois & Grills Club

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2006 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Piper, I'm not on you over this, I can tell you're a decent man and I mean no disrespect. I just don't believe that Jesus belongs in the same category as Santa and the Easter Bunny. Don't look to the written word for proof of his existence because you won't find it there. I'm as far from a bible thumper as you can get.
One quick story I want to share, the wife of a close friend was stricken with cancer and was brought home to die with her family by her side. They were aided by a hospice nurse of 25 years. At 5:30 am my friend and the nurse were talking while his wife was asleep and it got very cold in the room. He commented on what lousy timing it was for the furnace to go out and made his way to the thermostat. The nurse told him that it wasn't the furnace and told him that it's a common occurance prior to someones passing and that if the person is conscious they will often be greeted by loved ones. He checked the thermostat and the temperature read normal. Minutes later his wife awoke and said to my friend with great excitement, look who's here and started naming her mother and other loved ones that had passed before. He was blown away and simply said that he saw them too. She died within minutes. It took him ten minutes to tell this story because he couldn't keep it together. I never doubted one word.
I apologize for straying from the topic.
West End Piper
Pines Paramour
Pines Paramour

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2006 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do not be alarmed! You are experiencing the opinions of a free-thinking mind. One that is unencumbered by myth and superstition. A brain that has not been washed - if you will. I was very fortunate indeed, to have parents who exposed me to both science and religion and allowed me to make my choice. Thank you mom and dad, for allowing me to see the world clearly! I truly am blessed! (In a strictly secular way) Wink
West End Piper
Pines Paramour
Pines Paramour

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2006 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Touching story Rich. I would love to believe that I will see my loved ones, who have gone before me, when I die. I don't think I will, but it would be nice. I think that fear of dying and never seeing one's loved ones again, is a major factor that drives people to seek out the divine. I would never want to deny someone their right to believe in such things. I would only ask that you keep your personal beliefs where they belong - at home and in your church. In the meantime, scientists will continue to unravel the mysteries of the universe, for those of us who are paying attention. Wink
Rich
Bois & Grills Club
Bois & Grills Club

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2006 7:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Piper, I'm assuming by your posts that you didn't give your children the same choice that you were given by your parents.
The next time you're giving praise to almighty science ask them to get the weather right.
Jester
Gold Coast Guest
Gold Coast Guest

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2006 8:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dont think I've ever seen some WRONG weather ...... Maybe some blue rain would just be WRONG .... or I know ..... some purple snow ..... actually I've seen both but I was in my 20's and I won't go into HOW that was done .....scientist have already proved they can make rain so has God ..... Hey Piper .... now pay attention .... science has proven that drinking a boatload of wine is a good way to fend off evil bugs in your system and reduce weight on your belly...... I think we should all get together and test that theory .......
Rich
Bois & Grills Club
Bois & Grills Club

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2006 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jester. I think I was making fun of meteorologists (you know, people who study meteors). Confused
Squeaky
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2006 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rich, I know erxactly what you are saying. My grandmother had a stroke and had not spoke nor moved her extremities in over three years but just before she passed she raised her arms into the air and started smiling and saying mom. Tell me she did not see her Mom and that her Mom was not reaching out to her.
Jester
Gold Coast Guest
Gold Coast Guest

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2006 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know you were .... LOL
theeislandgirl
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2006 5:32 pm    Post subject: WHO Reply with quote

Who was for favord china trading status ?????

the good ole boy .. clinton !!!

(conis edit) NAFTA put me out of business. One of those "good ideas" that backfired big time. It could have been halted if the rich boys weren't making a bundle of loophole $$ from it... And so it stands today
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
doug miller
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2006 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Piper, concerning AIDS education for 5 year olds, I simply don't think it will have any beneficial effect. But it will make them more fearful and, where that is done for no good reason, I think it is a bad thing. I think children are like batteries--they need to be charged up with all of the good things in life when they are little so that, when they are older, they will be in a position to deal with much of the bad stuff they will no doubt be confronted with. Where there are true dangers, of course we need to teach them to be safe.

Concerning whether Christianity is a reasonable faith, that is no doubt a topic for other websites to debate. But it is worth noting here that there is much more evidence for believing Jesus was God than you are suggesting Piper. Here are just 2: First, if the disciples of Jesus knew He was not God; knew he had not even claimed to be God; and knew He had not risen from the dead, why did they claim it to be so? They and other early Christians were not persecuted and put to death because they were spreading the Gospel of "Why can't we all just get along?"--they were put to death because they claimed that Jesus was God. But why would they do that when they knew it wasn't true and they knew it would result in their death? I think that is psychological evidence for the truth of Christianity. Second, archaeological excavations of tombs in the Middle East have found some from the first century with markings indicating that at that early date, some believed that Jesus was God. Not to mention that, until archaeological evidence of Pontius Pilate was found, many thought the New Testament had made him up. Whether they agree with the Bible's interpretation of history or not, many who study the Middle East believe the Bible is historically accurate.
Kevin Gibbons
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Piper and Doug you are the reason we need a seperation of church and state. There is no proof there is a god but I do belive in god. But that is the nice thing about america we can believe what we want. This argument could go on for ever and not have a winner. So don't loose any sleep over it. I do belive that you are both right .
West End Piper
Pines Paramour
Pines Paramour

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doug, just because ancient, uneducated people believed something, does not make it true. People once believed the earth to be flat. A group of people believed David Koresh to be god. What about the group of people who followed Charles Manson? How about Jim Jones? The Salem Witch Trials? (Good Christians at work?) The Aztecs believed they could gain the favor of the gods through human sacrifice. You probably think that these examples are somehow different from the one you gave in your post. Guess what? They're not. To those peoples, their beliefs were their reality. To atheists, they are just different groups of crazy/uneducated people. You ask why individuals would be willing to die for a cause, if it is not true. Suicide bombers are willing to die for their cause. By your reasoning, they must know their beliefs to be true and Allah must be the one true god. Right? The peoples mentioned above were all willing to die for what they believed. The Nazis........I could go on and on. Bottom line - people are gullible and sometimes stupid. Christianity just happens to be the most successfully managed cult in America. It's not even the most popular religion in the world. Islam is.

In my opinion, if someone is crazy enough to go around preaching that a mortal man is god, then maybe they're not stable enough to be functioning in society. They are definitely in need of some serious deprogramming.

You, my friend, are one of many victims of the thought-damaging, progress impeding, mind-closing, brain-washing that has been perpetuated by those, anxious to gain control of your mind and your pocket-book, over the centuries. It's not your fault. You only believe what you've been taught. Probably from the time when you were a very small, impressionable child. This is why we don't allow minors to make decisions regarding medical treatment etc... They lack the reason and experience to make an intelligent, informed decision and they will believe, whatever they are told.

Religion has caused more people to die and suffer than any other malady to ever touch mankind. To those who say "Look at the good that religion has done." I say, it is nothing, not even a pimple on the butt of the death, destruction, anguish and suffering, not to mention the dumbing down of humankind, through it's suppression of science and true knowledge, all in the interest of power and wealth. Sure, some participants are just un-knowing sheep, who lack the intellect or intestinal fortitude to go against the teachings of the various churches. They really hold very little of the blame for the detriments I have listed above. But, there are those, like old Haggard out in Colorado, (among others) who I believe are using religion to exploit the weak-minded sheep, for their own personal gain. They've been doing it for hundreds of years. These are the smart ones. These are the true criminals of religion. These guys belong in prison - or worse.

Religion is the scourge of mankind, and if anything is to bring down the human race, it will most likely be religious war.

I want to reiterate the fact that I believe that people should be able to worship whatever god, animal, car, etc... that they want to. But, they should do it in the privacy of their own home or church. Why can't religious folk ever be happy with that? Sharing their fairy tales with like-minded individuals - sounds just peachy to me. They all seem to have this need to push their beliefs upon others. Just as I don't want to breathe your second-hand smoke, I don't want your various wacky beliefs entering my personal space and certainly not my government.

Treat other people, the way that you would like to be treated. This is the only "religion" that any of us really need. Very Happy [/b][/list]
West End Piper
Pines Paramour
Pines Paramour

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As for the bible being "accurate" - Thomas Payne destroys any possiblilty of that collection of writings, by various poets and traveling storytellers being accurate, in his book -" The age of reason". He wrote it in the 1700's.
John Elmer Engel
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 6:57 pm    Post subject: Religion Reply with quote

Wow! Piper, you are doing some preaching. I am that very small child that was brought up in church as long as I can remember...until about the age of 35, + or -. Baptized, psalms, prayer, etc.

I taught HS literature. We started with a very abbreviated reprsentation of Native American literature. Their creation myths were as fantastic as the christians. The difference was their gods were embodied in elements of Nature. Essentially, they thanked mother earth and father sky. Their gods were tangible...the water, the air, the plants, the animals, the sun, the sky, and the wind, etc. They did not believe that they were above nature but rather simply part of it. If bad things happened, it wasn't god punishing them or if they were saved from a fire it wasn't a god that saved them, it was simply natures way.

Whatever gives people peace is what they should believe. I see so little peace amongst organized religions, that Native Americans religion makes equal sense. Yes, Native Americans warred against each other. Turf wars. Food source wars.

There is a force far greater than anything we will ever understand. Some explain it with Bible creation myths. Others with oral tradition with nature at the center. No one knows. No great preachers, priests, or other religious leaders know. Therefore, religion is personal. It should be kept out of government and it should be private.

Nature is the center of what I believe. It is the only thing that deserves our full attention. It is tangible to all people. It is a common thread. The problem with most religions is that they teach that humans are above nature...that nature is simply at our disposal...natural resources...
blah, blah, blah,
West End Piper
Pines Paramour
Pines Paramour

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AMEN! John Elmer, you are right on! If I were to subscribe to any form of "religion", it would be like the one that you have described. Nature is everything to me. I am most content, when I am in the natural world, walking in the woods, observing animals in the wild, hunting, fishing, contemplating the complexity of life that evolution has wrought through the ages.......... Was I preaching? I guess maybe just a little. I only wish everyone could unlock the reason that lies tucked away somewhere within their heads and see the world's beauty with the unobstructed vision that I so enjoy! Razz
theeislandgirl
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 9:04 pm    Post subject: god Reply with quote

Kevin .... so glad you believe in God which means you have alot of faith..

You can not see him or touch him so in order to BELIEVE you have to have FAITH ....

I do not have any fear of dealth as I know where I am going when I die and I know I will see family and friends that went before me and also all my pets .... thats exciting ..

Its all between God and I ...

It gives me such a peaceful feeling ......

I feel sad that some do not believe .. but thats there choise ... they have have the freedom to choise ....
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Conis
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Nature is the center of what I believe.

Great post JEE.

We (mortal humans) are so ignorant and arrogant, all at once. We cannot see, until we look.
Al'sOtherSister
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FYI:
If anyone is interested...
My son is taking a Western Religions class in college. Part of his Assoc degree.He wanted me to check out this site. It is on belief.net and is called the belief-o-matic. It asks you 20 questions, and by your answers, gives you the top 10 or so religions your beliefs hold to
Very interesting!
Here is a link:
http://www.belief.net/story/76/story_7665_1.html
Spartan-1
Pines Paramour
Pines Paramour

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gosh, Al's other sister,

Is that photo of you in your BBI Halloween costume???

Thanks for the site, quite interesting!!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Bois Blanc Island Site Forum Index -> Island Events All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: