Home The Bois Blanc Island Site
An interactive site for islanders and island lovers

Home  ::  Forum  ::  Album  ::   Calendar  ::  Memberlist  ::  Usergroups  ::  Register 
 Profile  :: FAQ  ::  Search  ::  Log in to check your private messages  ::  Log in 

Vote "YES"

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Bois Blanc Island Site Forum Index -> Conservation Corner
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jester
Gold Coast Guest
Gold Coast Guest

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2006 7:39 am    Post subject: Vote "YES" Reply with quote

When the voting starts, please vote "YES" on proposal 3 stating that Dove Hunting should be allowed. Don't listen to that stupid commercial saying that Dove's are not over populated, either are squirrels, rabbits, quail, partridge, its NOT what they say it is ......

quote, "Its just target practice",

Its hunting, plain and simple ..........

Hunting has been around ever since the creation of man, if you HUNT it EAT it .........

MY NAME IS JESTER AND I APPROVE THIS MESSAGE!
bknoll
Pines Paramour
Pines Paramour

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2006 8:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm with you Jester....email me at bknoll@birchrun.k12.mi.us if anyone is interested in getting the real facts on doves. I have some good info that I have passed on to some people. Lots of myths and inaccuracies being spread by the anti's out there. This issue is about more than dove hunting.
Cindy Childs
Bois & Grills Club
Bois & Grills Club

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2006 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MMM...they are delicious - just like chicken nuggets!
Kevin Gibbons
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2006 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brad you are right on. I agree vote yes
Conis
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2006 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heres the reality of dove hunting: Just the facts.

Many sportsmen feel the HSUS is using this issue to get a foot in the anti
hunting door, leading to other bans and eventually having hunting banned.

This has occured in some other eastern states and California as a result of
their lobbiests.

http://www.cwccmi.org/images/facts.htm

PRO Radio ad, curt gibson...

http://www.cwccmi.org/images/proposal3-gibson.mp3

VOTE YES ON 3 This is about much more than the dove season!!!
Squeaky
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2006 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chicken nuggets? PLEASE................
theeislandgirl
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2006 6:43 pm    Post subject: dove Reply with quote

I live on Dove Hollow Rd ..( we moved into our home last nov.)
I know why now .....

We hear the Doves alot ..on and off . but not too many come around here even though I have bird feeders out .. so far they have not been a problem for us ..

Would these Doves be the same kind you are talking about ???

We live right in town now .. we could walk to many places..its a real quiet
neighbor ...

I am sitting on needles and pins WAITING to hear about the meeting !!

I bet all of us are !!! Exclamation Exclamation
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Squeaky
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2006 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We have Morning Doves and we Love them dearly. Love to hear them singing too. We also have two bird feeders and they along with many other birds come and feed from them. Why would I want them dead if we are feeding them? That would be like enticing the deer with food and then pointing a rifle at them and shooting them. What a sportsman.....
theeislandgirl
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2006 3:54 pm    Post subject: Dove Reply with quote

So I wonder ... is the morning Doves the same kind of Doves that the guys were speaking about ???

I enjoy them too ..
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Conis
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2006 4:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Dove Reply with quote

theeislandgirl wrote:
So I wonder ... is the morning Doves the same kind of Doves that the guys were speaking about ???

I enjoy them too ..

Yes. In texas they are hunted as gamebirds. Hunting has virtually no impact on the population. Their lifespan is normally a year whether they die as "hunted" or hawk fodder.

The Humane Society of the US is against ALL hunting of all kinds and using the dove issue as a spring board. All informed sportemen in Michigan are aware of this tactic and supporting the proposition whether they hunt doves or not, and very few do.

Personally, I enjoy seeing the doves and feed them along with the other song birds. No desire to hunt them, but I do support the hunting season in Michigan becuse of what may happen next, if this proposal is defeated.

Factual information:
http://www.cwccmi.org/images/facts.htm

radio ad explaining the situation...
http://www.cwccmi.org/images/proposal3-gibson.mp3

Last edited by Conis on Sat Nov 04, 2006 4:22 pm; edited 2 times in total
Jester
Gold Coast Guest
Gold Coast Guest

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2006 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now dont go saying that they sound beautiful ..... ever hear a lamb make a very lite coo or a bla sound .... Awwww .... they sound so precious ...... Yeah I have eaten lamb chops with mint jelly and BOY WAS IT GOOD ! ! ! !
theeislandgirl
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2006 5:08 pm    Post subject: SUPPORT Reply with quote

I WOULD SUPPORT THE LAW IN MICHIGAN TOO IF I COULD VOTE THERE AS I UNDERSTAND HOW THE LAW WORKS .. LETS PASS THIS LAW ..THEN THAT LAW AND BEFORE YOU KNOW IT .. WE WOULD NOT BE ABLE TO HUNT DEER ..I KNOW HOW IT ALL WORKS ...
theeislandgirl
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2006 5:09 pm    Post subject: JESTER Reply with quote

AWW JESTER ... THEY DO SOUND NICE .... ONLY IF WE DO NOT HAVE TO HEAR THEM ALL THE TIME ..

I AM SPEAKING ABOUT THE MORNING DOVES..
Conis
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2006 6:19 pm    Post subject: Re: SUPPORT Reply with quote

theeislandgirl wrote:
I WOULD SUPPORT THE LAW IN MICHIGAN TOO IF I COULD VOTE THERE AS I UNDERSTAND HOW THE LAW WORKS .. LETS PASS THIS LAW ..THEN THAT LAW AND BEFORE YOU KNOW IT .. WE WOULD NOT BE ABLE TO HUNT DEER ..I KNOW HOW IT ALL WORKS ...

You have the idea right but sort of backwards. By passing the dove hunting "law" we are preventing the Humane society from getting a toe hold and passing further laws against other forms of hunting, like deer hunting etc. They are the ones that brought this toa public ballot hoping it would fail so they can begin work on having other hunting banned.

They are the same ones that funded and lobbied against all the bear hunting restrictions in the UP. The sportsmens lobbies were asleep at the wheel on that one and learned a lesson. Now they are back for round 2. To pass the dove hunting issue is to defeat the HS interests in having other forms of hunting banned.

They are against all hunting regardless of whether or not it represents prudent/scientific wildlife management. They are a parallel to the Sierra Club tree huggers. Their interests ahead of good conservation practice.
theeislandgirl
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2006 7:50 pm    Post subject: how Reply with quote

How does it feel to be upside down ???

LOL
Jester
Gold Coast Guest
Gold Coast Guest

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2006 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I sure wouldn't want to try and hit the toilet like that .....LOOK OUT ! ! !
kimi
Coast Comber
Coast Comber

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2006 8:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ilove my deer hunting and other game bird hunting, but I got to say I think hunting groups are reading and saying to much in to this proposal. it only states doves. they are a song bird and not much there to eat ! I have them nest in the spring by my patio. It can go the other way too, next thing they will want to open season on the state bird. What the heck Robbins are getting kinda over populated. the thought of having some hunter setting under my bird feeder kinda comes to mind!!! I want to keep the windows in my house so I got to vote no!
Jester
Gold Coast Guest
Gold Coast Guest

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2006 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doves are a sporting bird just like woodcock ..... yes they are small and you need your limit to have a good meal, but, you are a bird hunter and I'll even bet you've blasted a few woodcock in your day, woodcock are fast and elusive and small just like those doves are. They are very adapt at evasive flight and are a challenge. no one in their right mind would shoot close to a building or even at the broad side of a barn if they are well versed in hunting. I'll bet if they open a season on the cormorant everyone would buy a shotgun and partake in that hunt ......
Conis
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2006 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Response to Kimis post.

Yes the proposal "only states doves" this time. I contend that it isn't so much about the dove season as who was responsible for getting it on the ballaot (the largest anti hunting lobbiest organization in the USA, is who) with every hope it will be defeated. From that point expanding their agenda to other forms of hunting. As stated earlier, the HSUS was directly responsible for un needed restriction on Bear Hunting in Michigan (use of dogs) Better do your homework on this issue. If it passes, it will have minimal or any impact on the dove population. If it loses, bigger problems down the road from the anit hunting lobbiests. Thats what proposal three really represents More politics than game managemnt biology.

A dove actually has more meat (larger breast) than a woodcock and tastes a lot better. (in my opinion... unless you like the taste of shoeleather)

I might add. In addition, woodcock numbers have decreased over the past few years , some believe due to over hunting. I would support a moratorium on woodcock shooting. The problem is that they are migratory, under federal control and hunted all the way from canada to the gulf states. Cumulative pressure. The daily limit has been reduced from 5 to 3. A woodcock lives 3-5 years and produces 1-2 broods a year. A dove lives and average of one year/one brood. From a biologocal standpoint, this is a major reason to not hunt woodcock and hunt doves, instead.

In support of Kimis statement: Doves outnumber woodcock and all other game birds by a factor of many. You don't really see many woodcock or pats lighting on the electric lines in a urban subdivision. If made a legal game bird, you will have slob hunters plinking away at sitting doves with .22s, just because they can and don't know any better. And in urban areas, whacking them from bird feeders with air rifles etc because the ARE good to eat. I don't know how you deal with morons and that could be a problem.

I will also tell you that shooting (at) a passing dove (s) requires far more skill that a woodcock. Fast flyers than can change direction in two feet. If you are good, plan on 2-3 birds per box (25) of shotshells

Open season on cormorants works for me. The DNR and feds are finally waking up. I just read a huge article on this on the Beaver Island forum board. There are a lot fewer cormorants now than there were 2-4 years ago. But still too many. Those in the Les Cheneaux basically have taken the problem into their own hands, perhaps to a blind eye of the DNR.

Guess what. The perch and small mouth populations are coming back! So which is a priority? Fish or comorants? Sounds like a management decision to me.
John Elmer Engel
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2006 9:05 am    Post subject: Dove season Reply with quote

Let them eat turkey. Thank goodness that doves have been scratched off the hunting list. I am all for hunting all of the species that are legal. I don't hunt personally but I can say that if another initiative to stop hunting, let's say woodcocks, I would vote against it.

This idea that once this proposition goes down, all hunting will go down is an overused obvious fear tactic. I want hunters to kill all of the other species on the "wanted poster."

On one of my last trips to BBI, my friend and I grilled rabbit and venison. It was delicious. I don't know how wild rabbits compare to doves, but it was a tad tedious getting the meat off that rabbit...I can't imagine how much meat there would be on a dove.

Hey, Conis, let them eat cake. #Bday
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Bois Blanc Island Site Forum Index -> Conservation Corner All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: