Home The Bois Blanc Island Site
An interactive site for islanders and island lovers

Home  ::  Forum  ::  Album  ::   Calendar  ::  Memberlist  ::  Usergroups  ::  Register 
 Profile  :: FAQ  ::  Search  ::  Log in to check your private messages  ::  Log in 

BBI TOWN HALL, VOL 1.
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Bois Blanc Island Site Forum Index -> BBI TOWN HALL
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Conis
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2006 6:37 pm    Post subject: BBI TOWN HALL, VOL 1. Reply with quote

Posted: Wed Nov 08, 2006 6:25 pm Post subject: Rewards handed out

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(POSTED BY MIKE WHITE Copied from "Letter to BBI voters" thread. Please post any/all continued twp issues pertaining to zonong. dismissals etc, here. TX.)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Today at the regular township meeting, the township board "rewarded" Bill Heinen and Fran Vallely by dismissing them from the Planning Commission.
When Loren Gibbons called for Lani Whites dismissal, the motion died for lack of a second on the motion.

This more or less ends the whole issue on the vote. The ones dismissed may go to court though. that might be better covered under the thread called public hanging.
mikewhite
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2006 8:40 am    Post subject: A Summery Reply with quote

A Summary leading to the Dismissals

1. Township rezones land, contrary to their own guidlines.
2. Three landowners, who also are on planning, petition for vote.
3. The township refuses petition over property description.
4. The Three petition circuit court for ruling. (Newhouse primary reason given for dismissal.)
5. In closed session, the township decides to allow vote. (Wording negotiated between parties)
6. The Three send letter to voters giving their view. In letter they say "We, members of Planning" (Gibbons primary reason given for dismissal)
7. Public hearing. Where dislikes of the Threes actions were expressed. ( Also admission by Gibbons that they had no evidence of wrongdoing.)
8. Nov. 7, Rezone is voted down by public.
9. Nov. 8, Heinen and Vallelly are dismissed based on #4 & #6 above.

Now the question is, will the Two petition the court for a ruling on the legality of the dismissals?

Last edited by mikewhite on Fri Nov 10, 2006 9:18 am; edited 2 times in total
mikewhite
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2006 9:59 am    Post subject: Some Good News Reply with quote

Gahn, at the regular meeting, Nov. 8, said that things were moving forward to have a township web site up before the new year.

There was also Mention of the availability of a lot of Fed dollars for the airport. The township must only match about 2 or 3 percent.
Al's Sister

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2006 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for the summary and new info, Mike! Tell Lani to hang in there.. She is needed.. Very Happy
doug miller
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2006 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting. Any reason (aside from personal ones) that Lani was treated one way and the others treated a different way? Seems like application of an objective, legal standard would have resulted in all three being treated the same way. I don't know if the two who were removed intend to appeal, but I have to think that would be an issue they will raise. I would want to know what those voting thought the two had done that Lani had not. Could put those who voted to remove them in a tough spot.
mikewhite
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2006 1:28 pm    Post subject: Details Reply with quote

Here is a little detail of how it all went down. Loren would make the motion and within a second Shelby would second the motion. That is how it went for Bill and Fran. Lani's turn came and Loren made the motion and we all looked to Shelby, nothing. To find out why it went that way, you might contact him and ask for his explaination.

One theory is, that possibly he does not want to be put on planning. One person from the board is usually assigned to planning. He would have been the most logical replacement for Lani, if she had been dismissed.

Another sad thing that happend was that Cheryl Gahn read her statement to the board about how ashamed she was of their actions. Then, minutes later, Her mother-in-law, Audrey Gahn, makes a statement defending her daughter, Clover Schlund and stating that there was a power grab going on. A deep split in that family has occurred.
Audrey may not be aware that the Three started this whole thing because they considered the boards actions to be unethical. Now, a picture is being painted of the Three as being the unethical ones.

Last edited by mikewhite on Thu Nov 09, 2006 2:09 pm; edited 1 time in total
Kevin Gibbons
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2006 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I 'm agreeing with Cherly Gahn that I'm ashamed of the TWP actions. I don't belived anyone should be dismissed. I think the twp made a dicission to over ride the zonning board, and it got petition to go to the vote of the people and the voters turn down the c-2 zonning. That should be the end of it. No one should be dismissed for doing what they believe to be right and what the voters really wanted. No matter who they are and what board that they set on. Carry this out any further is going to cost the twp money and that means that it will cost us money. Also there is people that is going to be hurt and that doesn't have to happen.

(IT IS TIME TO STOP)
Squeaky
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2006 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I too am curious as to why two were dismissed and not the third. Strange!
mikewhite
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2006 3:36 pm    Post subject: Ashamed of Township Letter Reply with quote

I scanned a copy of Cheryl Gahns letter that she read at the Nov. 8 township meeting when it came time to dismiss the planning people. Note her quotes around the bold underlined words "That is my perception". The reason for the quotes are because those words are Lorens made in the public hearing when asked about evidence of wrongdoing.
Kevin Gibbons
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2006 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My commit on agreeing with Chryl is on that one commit that she said about being ashamed of the twp. that is all because I don't no the rest of her commits.
Spartan-1
Pines Paramour
Pines Paramour

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2006 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Holy Crap!!!

What a mess, good luck to all involved with this, I hope things can be

grown up and people can get along with each other. Seems pretty sad,

but we are not always going to agree on everything and everyone is

pretty close that live on the island, maybe not as friends but you are all

still very close. GOOD LUCK!!!
John Elmer Engel
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2006 7:42 pm    Post subject: My Last statements Reply with quote

This whole thing simply magnifies the arbitrary and visionless decision making of the twp leaders.

Kevin is 100% correct in saying noone should have been dismissed. They are all great people expressing heart felt concerns. Resolutions involve much debate and contemplation.

I am glad that the voters saw the glaring lack of vision in this issue which was intiated by two parties, a realtor, and a twp leader. Where was the benefit to ALL islanders?
mikewhite
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2006 9:36 am    Post subject: Why two and not three? Reply with quote

Doug & Squeaky,
Why two and not three? Good question. Remember, the original notice for a special meeting, was to discuss removal of 2 or 3 planning members. Could it have been the plan all along?

I already mentioned the theory that Shelby, most likely to replace Lani, didn't want to do it. A second theory I have, is that it might neutralize me. I would stop being mad at Loren for his awful actions and stop going on this site to express my displeasure with him.

Doug,I am sorry to say, that (aside from personal ones) I can find no reason to treat Lani differently. Therefore, I believe this would be another brick, along with many other bricks, being used to build a case against Loren's actions.
Squeaky
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2006 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not trying to be rude, but the island and those on it need to move on..... Why carry this on and on?
Dan Reynolds
$$ Site Donor $$
$$ Site Donor $$

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2006 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As I understand it, it still isn't over - especially for those who are directly involved. This site is a communications vehicle for those individuals, as much as it is for anyone else who lives on or cares about the Island. I would expect the discussion to continue for some time, and I hope this bulletin board can be of some help.

You'll note that a special folder has been created for topics like this, making it that much easier to avoid reading these posts if they aren't of interest to you.

Thanks for your understanding! Very Happy

Dan
theeislandgirl
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2006 2:37 pm    Post subject: VOTE Reply with quote

DITTO !!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
John Elmer Engel
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2006 7:43 pm    Post subject: Familiar Problem in Bay City Reply with quote

Does this sound familiar? Stand up and be counted or get counted out. Every time you see the words 'Beaver Township' replace them with BBI Township...and it is quite familiar.

From The Bay City Times
People's forum
Tuesday, November 21, 2006
Voice: Shirley Anne Dubiel, Auburn

I attended a public hearing of the Beaver Township Planning Commission on Nov. 8. The members on the commission are........

I was there to oppose commercial growth within our agricultural township. I presented the commission with a petition with 43 signatures and explained that I only spoke with 51 residents. I felt this ratio showed the township residents' feelings against business coming in or expanding in our agriculturally zoned community.

With no discussion of the 43 residents' concerns, the petition lay on the table as if nonexistent to them.

The commission proceeded to vote ''yes'' for a commercial building, 42 by 96 feet, to be built in our agriculturally zoned township.

The commission calls it a ''special users permit.'' The people who received the permit are running a commercial business, plain and simple.

Who does the Beaver Township commission work for? If not for the majority of the township residents, then who? What good is a public township meeting if the committee members have their minds made up before the meeting?

If we are to stay agricultural/residential, the Beaver Township Board had better make some serious changes in its zoning laws. I would like to see eight members on the Planning Commission who would preserve our agricultural land and consider our Beaver township residents.
mikewhite
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 10:07 am    Post subject: Get Opinion? Reply with quote

At the hearing to remove Planning members Loren was working under an older state law, the Township Planning Act, MCL 125.324. Planning has been operating under the Michigan Zoning Enabling Act, MCL 125.3101 since July 1, 2006. The difference between the two, the way I understand it, is that in the former older law, the supervisor, with approval of the twp board can dismiss planning members. In the newer act, evidence must be presented to support claims against the accused.

All members of the township were made totally aware of the fact that they probably were acting under a law that did not apply to them prior to holding the hearing. They decided to do it anyway based on their legal advisors.

My question to everyone is this. Do you think I should ask for an Attorney General Opinion from the State? If it is found that the township was acting, based on the wrong act, what would that mean?
Would it change anything?
theeislandgirl
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 6:11 pm    Post subject: conis Reply with quote

Conis ....

This is good to keep up with questions and answers ..

Mike ...I think you should contact the general
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
My question to everyone is this. Do you think I should ask for an Attorney General Opinion from the State? If it is found that the township was acting, based on the wrong act, what would that mean?

Possibly that the dismissals are illegal and non-binding.

Quote:
Would it change anything?
Depends on whether or not those dismissed, or any one else involved, intends to press the issue.
Squeaky
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe you should leave this up to the individuals that were-are involved with this.
mikewhite
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2006 3:25 pm    Post subject: Made up my mind! Reply with quote

I am going to get an attorney general opinion. It may be that the township used the proper act. If that is the case then I will close my mouth. There are a lot of people that might want to see that. Smile

If the township took the wrong path, it will be interesting to see what their reaction would be. Would Loren have the ability to back up and go down the correct path or would he resist it?
Uncle Steve
$$ Site Donor $$
$$ Site Donor $$

Location: Big Rapids, MI and Eagle Ridge AKA Red Roof Inn (2006) ... East end BBI

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2006 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Exclamation Wink I understand two new members have been appointed.. What say you..

Uncle Steve

Last edited by Uncle Steve on Tue Dec 19, 2006 6:30 pm; edited 1 time in total
mikewhite
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2006 6:05 pm    Post subject: planning members Reply with quote

Yes. Cathy Teter the real estate lady down at Hawks Landing, and Pat Card, Dick Cards wife. (Card Construction). Both are involved in active businesses on Bois Blanc.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2006 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Question regarding equality. Why should there be no business representation on the planning commission ? Businesses pay taxes as well, possibly MORE than an individual.. Just a question . EVERYONE should be represented.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Bois Blanc Island Site Forum Index -> BBI TOWN HALL All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: