Home The Bois Blanc Island Site
An interactive site for islanders and island lovers

Home  ::  Forum  ::  Album  ::   Calendar  ::  Memberlist  ::  Usergroups  ::  Register 
 Profile  :: FAQ  ::  Search  ::  Log in to check your private messages  ::  Log in 

We Love Bois Blanc!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Bois Blanc Island Site Forum Index -> Introductions, Meet Your Fellow Islanders
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LavenderLynn
Frequent Floater
Frequent Floater

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2002 11:09 pm    Post subject: We Love Bois Blanc! Reply with quote

Hello there,

Our family has been coming to Bois Blanc Island for many, many years. Relatives owned the "Lower Log Cabin" in the pines for many years. My husband and his father, uncles, cousins would come to the island to hunt white tail deer (a tradition our family continues) and just for a relaxing vacations. They would stay in the cabin or with the Clovers.

We've camped numerous times on the north shore and have stayed in the McGeorges house during deer hunting season for years. We hope to come back again this year. Our two oldest children will be hunting with us too for the first time. I think about Bois Blanc everyday and can't wait for the day we have enough money to buy some land and live there permanently. It's so peaceful, relaxing and beautiful! We've explored every inch possible in a 4x4 truck.

The wildlife is incredible there. We've spied whitetail deer, grouse, three colors of squirrel, turkeys, all manner of birds and once - a coyote!

Thank you for the opportunity to tell a little bit about our love of Bois Blanc. I hope to meet many new friends here Very Happy
Rob
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2002 9:25 am    Post subject: Welcome Reply with quote

Hi L.L.,

Thanks for taking the time to post here. We all love it too. Smile

Rob
Dan Reynolds
$$ Site Donor $$
$$ Site Donor $$

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2002 9:05 am    Post subject: Welcome Reply with quote

Hi LL,

Glad to have more new folks posting to the board. It's great to have this forum to chat about island stuff; I enjoyed reading your story.

Our property is in the deep backwoods north of Thompson Lake - you've probably seen it if your 4x4 explorations have been that thorough! There are lots of coyotes back there. I catch 'em in the headlights every now and then (you see the eyes first). In the middle of the night, they congregate in packs and howl at the moon, which is pretty chilling if you are out there in nothing but a tent. Dad and I built a little 12x12 shack in 1981 to bring an end to our tent-camping days. Last time a pack of coyotes came through, they were howling about 10 feet from the building and scratching at the screen at 3am. Shocked

We will be up a few times this summer - hope to meet you!

Dan
Rob
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2002 9:30 pm    Post subject: coyotes! Reply with quote

Quote:
Last time a pack of coyotes came through, they were howling about 10 feet from the building and scratching at the screen at 3am. Shocked

WOW
I guess we won't bring horses up until we get a barn!
Dan Reynolds
$$ Site Donor $$
$$ Site Donor $$

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2002 7:19 am    Post subject: coyotes! Reply with quote

I don't know much about the animals, but the few coyotes I've seen are small and probably not too threatening. It was just kind of intimidating to have them scratching around so close to our little place while we were inside. That was about ten years back. I've seen a couple and heard many more howling since then, but no other close encounters.

Years ago, my Dad (now deceased) told me he'd seen a bobcat near our site too. I have yet to run into one, but at least I know they are out there.

Take care,
Dan
LavenderLynn
Frequent Floater
Frequent Floater

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2002 9:26 pm    Post subject: Coyote Thru The Mist Reply with quote

Hi,

The coyote I saw was pretty small too. It was during deer season. I was sitting out in the middle of the woods at the end of the day. It was just starting to get dark and a low mist was moving in. He trotted through about 20 yards in front of me. What a site! Later we were talking to some folks at Hawk's and Ray Plaunt asked me why I didn't plug him. It never crossed my mind to shoot at him because I was so enchanted with the moment. What I remember the most was how quiet it was. No birds, no squirrels, just the lighthouse horn, the mist and the coyote. It's a nice memory. Smile
LavenderLynn
Frequent Floater
Frequent Floater

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2011 7:27 pm    Post subject: I'm back! Reply with quote

Hey everyone,

Some of you may remember me. I used to come here alot a few years ago, even won the rank naming contest thingie. If you're a Plaunt Pal, Resident Royalty, etc., that's because of moi. Wink hehe

Anyway, I was looking through some of my photographs and getting nostalgic for BBI and decided to check out the forum again. Loved the Bible Road song/photograph montage posted on YouTube someone posted.

Hope everyone is doing well and I doubly hope that one day our family can come back to visit. I miss our state's little slice of Heaven. Smile

BTW What happened to all my photographs? I see some of them, but I could've sworn I had more posted here. Just curious....
Rob
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey! Welcome back, long time no see. A couple of years ago the photo album code got corrupted and in turn corrupted the database. We did lose a handful of full-size pictures when I rebuilt it. Every once in a while when you click on a thumbnail it will not display the full-size image. Sad, but true.

http://www.bridge-view.net
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Bois Blanc Island Site Forum Index -> Introductions, Meet Your Fellow Islanders All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: