Home The Bois Blanc Island Site
An interactive site for islanders and island lovers

Home  ::  Forum  ::  Album  ::   Calendar  ::  Memberlist  ::  Usergroups  ::  Register 
 Profile  :: FAQ  ::  Search  ::  Log in to check your private messages  ::  Log in 

Bird watching
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Bois Blanc Island Site Forum Index -> Conservation Corner
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Al's Sister

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The red sqirrel I have looks like that, Kevin.. Only bigger than you mention.. We have those little stinkin pine sqirrels and forgot to mention... We have flying squirrels too! Very Happy
Kevin Gibbons
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Susie When do you see it flying after the drinks or before.
Al's Sister

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm serious! The cats have caught quite a few.. We may not actually have anymore because of the cats.. They have a flatter tail and the extra skin that runs from under the front legs to the back.. I've even seen one soaring.. Pretty cool! Cool Mike can attest to the tails.. For most cases that is all the cats leave us!

Last edited by Al's Sister on Wed Feb 07, 2007 4:43 pm; edited 1 time in total
Conis
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kevin Gibbons wrote:
I don't know what you are talking about then The fox squarrels that I have seen have redish gray fur and an redish orange belly and are a little bigger then a black squarrel. Big bushy tail.

I am not sure what I am talking about either. From what I have read from this morning. a "FOX SQUIRREL" whatever that is, can look like whatever depending on where it is. Red (mostly), black, white, grey, or anything in between. I use to think of them as the big red jobs too... but it seems they come in several different flavors.

You wanna talk FLYING squirrels/ I got a couple GREAT tales...
Kevin Gibbons
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Susie are you talking about the cats flying or the squarrels flying. Are the squarrels getting the cats or are the cats getting the squarrels. When are we going boating?
Al's Sister

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Twisted Evil Laughing I'll meet you at the dock in May..
Conis
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lets skip the squirrels and go fishing. More worthwhile.

Hey it's winter and we are all bored.
Kevin Gibbons
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You got that right.
theeislandgirl
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2007 2:17 am    Post subject: glide Reply with quote

My hubby John w said he use to see the flying Squirrels down by Grayling when he lived there as a young lad .. He said they GLIDE rather then fly ...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Kevin Gibbons
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2007 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you think John even remembers that long ago. Was squarrels even invented that long ago?
Conis
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2007 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Two flying squirrel stories:

#1 is when I had a nest of them in the bedroom wall in the house. They aren't easily discouraged. Save this story for later... Pretty crazy.

A very short story:

When I was maybe 10-12, I and neighbor pal "Mike" were on on patrol in the woods, by one of our "forts". He was maybe 10' ahead of me on the path. I saw something come swooping down out of the tree (a flying squirrel as we later determined). Landed right on top of his head. Watching Mike go nuts was pretty funny. He had no clue and never saw it coming.

What was even funnier was when the squirrel went down the back of his neck and inside his sweatshirt when he grabbed for it. Still didn't know what it was or what was happening. Rolling around on the ground screaming bloody murder. It was a Kodak moment, mostly because I watched it all unfold.

Did I come to Mike's aid? Yeah... Right...

I was laughing so hard I had to hang on to a tree. Maybe you would have had to been there. (I am having a hard time typing this, some 40+ years later. One sentence at a time and recompose myself.) It would helped to have known the kind of kid Mike was. Always something weird would happen to him through no fault of his own. If it wasn't for bad luck, Mike wouldn't have had no luck at all.

Fond recollections of a mis spent youth...
doug miller
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2007 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My bird story of the day:

The other brightly moonlit night, I backed my car out of the garage and had just begun driving forward when I saw a rabbit run across the lawn toward our fence. Just then, I saw a shadow, then an owl with what seemed to be a very large wingspan swoop down toward the rabbit, then, because the rabbit had made it to some brush near the fence, the owl landed on the fence. I am not sure if he ever got his meal.

This is, I am certain, the same owl that I began to hear 'who-who-who-whoooot' -ing in the woods next to our house in the city of Lansing early last spring. I guess he has taken up residence there (along with a herd of deer, flock of turkeys, some foxes, and a variety of squirrels, bluejays, cardinals and other creatures.)

I still have not had a real good look at him (or her) but it seems quite large and--expert ornithologist that I am, reminds me of Owl who lives with Pooh and the others in the Hundred Acre Woods.

Any ideas from you bird lovers on what kind of owl it might be and how long we might expect him to live in our woods?
Al's Sister

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2007 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

3 possibilities, Doug..

A Barn Owl at 18" This one sounds like it is a hisser and grunter rather than who.. Laughing

A Great Horned Owl at 25" It who's with the second and third notes shorter than the rest.. My money is on this one..

A Barred Owl at 20" It ends it's series of who's with an aw.. hoooo-aw.. Must be the Marine of the owls, hey? Laughing

My sensibilities say an owl will hang where there is food.. Sounds like your corner of nature has everything he needs to stick around and even mate.. They like hollow trees, abandoned buildings, sometimes old crow nests..

They sure are interesting birds! Cool
doug miller
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2007 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the info. Based on your description, it sounds like the great horned owl. The first two, or maybe even 3 hoots are short, and the last one it holds for a while and almost has a cooing quality to it.

I have also wondered where it lives--I guess I will have to look that up on line. Few of the trees are very big and I don't see how he would fit in any of them. I guess I' ll just have to do some research.

Thanks again.
Spartan-1
Pines Paramour
Pines Paramour

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2007 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is this the same Doug Miller we had a beer with while your crew was on the island about 4 or 5 years ago snowmobiling??? Stopped at you cabin one afternoon while we were enjoying the quiet winter island. If this is you, you also fed us some of your WORLD FAMOUS CHILE!!!

MANY THANKS, THAT STUFF REALLY BOUNCED AROUND ON THE TRIP BACK TO CHEBOYGAN... I BELIEVE I GET A WHIFF OF THAT EVERY NOW AND AGAIN, INSIDE MY FULL FACE HELMET, IF YOU KNOW WHAT I MEAN!!!
theeislandgirl
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2007 10:14 pm    Post subject: flying Reply with quote

Kevin ..

What are you trying to say that john is old ????

Well he has been around a very long time .. humm ..yeah I agree
hes old ...

LOL
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
mikewhite
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 7:57 am    Post subject: The Flying Rabbit Reply with quote

Something startling happened to me one time. I was crossing Fletcher Rd. going east. It was in the dead of night in a blinding snow storm. I was driving a large company truck. There is a steep hill with a curve at the bottom called dead mans hill.
Anyway, I was climbing that hill and just as I crested the top, the head lights were shining up into the sky into the oncoming snow. Up in the sky, in the snowflakes, was this pure white rabbit shining because of the headlights. It was traveling from right to left maybe 50 feet off the ground. My eyes locked onto it and my behind tightened up. So, as I drove closer in the next split second, I realized that the rabbits feet were dangling and its back was humped up. The light was brighter and I could see that a large, much darker, owl had it by the back.
I was much relieved to know the reason why that rabbit could fly!
Al's Sister

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 8:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hadn't heard that one! Freaky! Laughing Laughing
doug miller
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great story, Mike.

That winter chili sounds great, but I am not the Doug Miller who provided it, Spartan-1.
Spartan-1
Pines Paramour
Pines Paramour

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2007 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks,

Brother!!!

Would the real Doug Miller Please stand UP!!!

And I won't say what I think JOHN IS, OTHER THAN OLD!!!

Because my mother raised me better than that, Right KEVIN!!!

Mr. Swamp Angel and myself might be up to fish with you next weekend?
GO GREEN!
Kevin Gibbons
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2007 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The fishing next weekend would be great. Bring Dave and come on. Oh tell Dave He don't hold a candle to the real swamp angle.
Kevin Gibbons
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2007 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a full red headed woodpecker this morning the first time in a long time. He didn't stay long but I hope he comes back.
theeislandgirl
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 9:54 pm    Post subject: red Reply with quote

Kevin

They are quite a sight to see ...

Hope he comes back and makes it his home for awhile so you can enjoy him ....
mikewhite
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 12:25 pm    Post subject: Goshawk Reply with quote

Woodpeckers love suet. Maybe that is what your using to draw such a rare woodpecker. I have only seen one red-headed woodpecker in my life.

Talk about a rare opportunity, check out this picture I was privileged to take today.

http://www.bois-blanc.com/phpBB2/album_page.php?pic_id=1514
Kevin Gibbons
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes I have the caked suet I put out three at a time plus a lot of sunflower seeds and oatmeal filled with sunflower seeds and some wild bird seed, and some corn. They have there choise. I have birds I didn't know that even existed. That is a cool picture Mike maybe that is why you don't have woodpeckers.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Bois Blanc Island Site Forum Index -> Conservation Corner All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 2 of 6

Jump to: