Home The Bois Blanc Island Site
An interactive site for islanders and island lovers

Home  ::  Forum  ::  Album  ::   Calendar  ::  Memberlist  ::  Usergroups  ::  Register 
 Profile  :: FAQ  ::  Search  ::  Log in to check your private messages  ::  Log in 

Web Site Help for Twp.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Bois Blanc Island Site Forum Index -> BBI TOWN HALL
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mikewhite
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 8:38 am    Post subject: Web Site Help for Twp. Reply with quote

I remember that people on this site, including Rob, offered to help the Twp, with a web site. The Twp. now has a "Rough Draft" of a web site that they have very little knowledge of how to operate.

If you are serious about helping, you must contact them. By contact I mean a real letter. They do not, it appears, consider what is written on this site to be a serious offer, or they never read it. If you address it to Bois Blanc Township, Pointe Aux Pins, MI 49775, it will get to them.

At their last meeting they were talking about the pickle they are in. They only have a vague idea how to operate a web site. It appears that they are unwilling to spend any real money on one. They would appreciate a volunteer. Anyone interested? It would mean that we all could read and print out the minutes, see and print out pages of the zoning ordinance, see and print out pages of the master plan, etc.

Last edited by mikewhite on Fri Jan 26, 2007 7:56 am; edited 2 times in total
Al's Sister

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wish I could but I'm not That literate! Bummers! Confused
Conis
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok.
Rob really has time?

I have managed a site (my business site) since 1995. Its off line now but I know the stuff, especially if it amounts to simple stuff like posting monthy minutes. I saw the template.

I would contribute only because I believe it is important to keep this information public.

The twp, would only have to to forward the text by email in some sort of "text" form. I am not going to mess with scanning documents. I am sure this is transcribed on a PC. It they can attatch a file, I can spend a few minutes a month to convernt and post it.

I am not going to email them. They can contact me. Free is a good price?
theeislandgirl
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Conis ...

If you and the Township can work things out to get the site going ..it would be great for all of us to beable to read and print out the master plan and etc ...

I appreciate your offer ... Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
John Elmer Engel
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 8:49 pm    Post subject: Twshp site Reply with quote

Do it Conis. I think that their approach to legitimate concerns might take on a more professional demeanor if their meetings are posted.
boisblancgirl
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They are paying someone to go down tomorrow to start working on the website.
Conis
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thats probably a good solution.

A thought occured to me. THIS website is structured and provided FREE by some company at no charge. (I didn't say it is free to have it hosted). Jester has one up and running.

I just pulled the source from this site: http://www.phpbb.com/

The thing is, information could be added in "forums" the same way we post on this site. No file uploading or tech stuff. Easy to do and fast. Anyone with permission to post can update by cut/paste. And that could be limited to one-two twp individuals.

Set up would be a one shot deal by anyone with mimimal expertise. After that anyone can manage and update it.

Inexpensive, simple and easy.
Jester
Gold Coast Guest
Gold Coast Guest

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2007 6:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The problem with setting up a forum (so to speak) would be that anyone could voice opinions and that should be left to this site or mine. The Township needs a official web page that reflects positions that have been addressed at the meetings and nothing further. I can see it now, once a posting is lettered on the site, many people will voice thier opinions and the board will just say, "Well you should have attended the meeting".

I understand that a lot of folks can't attend but, still, if thier site was just for information instead of a site like ours, it would stop a bunch of mud slinging and attitudes. Lets keeps the opinions here and at my site and let them do an infopage. Once again, this is just my thoughts, they can do what ever they want.

Jester
boisblancgirl
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2007 7:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I understand correctly, their web site is informational only. You will be able to contact board members through email, but there won't be a page for the public to post subjects like this one. The site has already been set up and formated, all they need now is to put all the information in it that they want, like info of the island, boards and commissions and their members, and I would think that they will post their monthly minutes.
Conis
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2007 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree, The twp wouldn't want to start a bulletin board similar to the BBI site. ( if they did, this site might die?)

My suggestion was based on simplicity and ease of use. A "forum" wasn't a good term. Call it a topic. Have maybe two topics, one for minutes and other for general information etc.

Posting can be "locked" so only one or two authorized individuals can post updates. So posting it isn't open to the public or registered members like this site.

For example: To update monthly minutes, whomever was in charge would simply open the monthly minutes "topic" then copy/ paste into the "post a reply" box. Submit... and there are the minutes for the month, in sequence. Each year, start a new subtopic. All done and updated in 3-5 minutes.

Doing things this way, No special "webmaster skills" would be needed to upload documents, start new web pages etc. Maintaining a website takes time... especially if there are problems which there often are...

Their call. This is merely a suggestion.
Al'sOtherSister
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2007 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ya think they are lurking here somewheres, there Conis?
They might take a suggestion or two?
We can only hope....

Lisa
sparty1
Weekend Worshiper
Weekend Worshiper

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2007 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A township website would be great. You should help them out Conis.
Conis
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2007 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sparty1 wrote:
A township website would be great. You should help them out Conis.

Love to if asked. Free is a good price.
theeislandgirl
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2007 12:39 am    Post subject: township Reply with quote

Hope to see it up and running ..soon

I was looking forward to it ..

I think it is needed
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
sparty1
Weekend Worshiper
Weekend Worshiper

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2007 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was on the township website today and it still looks like an empty shell. It doesn't have alot of info. Does anyone know if or when they will work on it more?
theeislandgirl
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2007 11:45 pm    Post subject: web Reply with quote

Its taken months to get going on this ...

Do they know Conis, that you would help them out for free ????

I want to get this going before summer ... if I could help I would but I need help yet to get around this site !!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Bois Blanc Island Site Forum Index -> BBI TOWN HALL All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: