Home The Bois Blanc Island Site
An interactive site for islanders and island lovers

Home  ::  Forum  ::  Album  ::   Calendar  ::  Memberlist  ::  Usergroups  ::  Register 
 Profile  :: FAQ  ::  Search  ::  Log in to check your private messages  ::  Log in 

The Cutting 'Round My House

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Bois Blanc Island Site Forum Index -> Conservation Corner
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Al's Sister

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2007 9:48 am    Post subject: The Cutting 'Round My House Reply with quote

It's begun and I'm happy 'bout the Poplar being gone.. I'm bummed about an accidentally smashed Cedar though.. I added a shot of a Flying Squirrel in the Sharing album... He and a few others lost thier hybernating home when the cedar was smashed.. Sad The tree was also the favorite hangout of many birds.. I haven't seen my Cardinal pair since. Sad And it was a favorite climbing tree for my cats.. One of my cats went out and surveyed the damage last night.. Looks like she was having her own personal funeral.. The deer were happy about it though and got busy eating it up! The mess left behind is a sorry sight..

There are plus' and minus' when it comes to this kind of thing.. It will take some adjusting to get used to the view out our window.. We are thinking of having a bonfire but could use some help! Anyone up for a party? I'll post more pictures in the coming days.. Probably in my personal album here or I'll leave a link to my portfolio when I get done uploading..

I keep rolling the plus' around in my head but it's a sad time here.... Sad
theeislandgirl
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2007 1:43 pm    Post subject: sad time Reply with quote

Susie ... I am sad for you !! These little things are not really little when they mean so much to you and all your dear little friends that enjoyed this spot to play ... Sad
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Al's Sister

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2007 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Saw the female cardinal.. The male is probably close by.. Cool
Conis
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2007 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It always looks like a disaster.... Give it a couple years.

You will have more songbirds and deer than you know what to do with. Food and shelter. As if you didn't know this anyway?
Al's Sister

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2007 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Smile Yeah. There are plus'. The Hubby may get us satellite now.. I'll invest in some wilflowers and scatter seed in the Spring.. Our little corner of woods is a great place to travel for cover.. The deer herd is growing already.. I'm going to call our local DNR guy and invite him to come have a look.. We have drainage issues in the Spring and now would be a good time for a ditch to be put in.. These lumber guys should be more open or contracted to some more clean up close to homes.. They could pull in a giant shredder and have the big stuff crushed up in a day just around the house here is all I'm thinkin'. Cool
Conis
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2007 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am surprised they left a mess. Usually when they cut pulp they bring in a chipper and take it all. Since the chipboard plant shut down in gaylord, almost all now goes for fuel. CMU burns chips, Heat the entire campus.

That stuff will grow back FAST.

They just put in two huge wood pellet plants near here. I suppose on a bet the there will be plenty of dead ash trees. Charge to take them out then make money on the wood?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Bois Blanc Island Site Forum Index -> Conservation Corner All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: