Home The Bois Blanc Island Site
An interactive site for islanders and island lovers

Home  ::  Forum  ::  Album  ::   Calendar  ::  Memberlist  ::  Usergroups  ::  Register 
 Profile  :: FAQ  ::  Search  ::  Log in to check your private messages  ::  Log in 

Hello from new member

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Bois Blanc Island Site Forum Index -> Introductions, Meet Your Fellow Islanders
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Oblio
Beach Glass Hoarder
Beach Glass Hoarder

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2007 12:43 pm    Post subject: Hello from new member Reply with quote

Hello. It's been nearly 20 years since I was last on the island. My family built the A-frame on Lake Mary and that's where we used to go every summer when I was a kid. I'm not sure if anybody on the forum here knew or will remember us. My dad is Lou Cattaneo and my Grandpa was Alex.

Any chance that the folks that bought our cabin are on the forum? I would sure love to hear from you. How's the fishing in Lake Mary? It was starting to really tail-off in the mid-80's. Hopefully it's come back.
TonyDriza
Frequent Floater
Frequent Floater

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2007 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome Oblio!

Wish I had any answers to your questions, but we haven't been coming up to the island that long, and don't know anyone on Lake Mary. Haven't fished it yet either...My daughter did take a nice pike out of Thompson last summer...

I'm sure that someone on the forum can give you the answers you're looking for. Good luck!
Al's Sister

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2007 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the site! Very Happy I'm sure someone will be able to help you out.. Enjoy the site in the meantime.. There are lots of great pictures.
Oblio
Beach Glass Hoarder
Beach Glass Hoarder

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2007 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the warm welcome. I'm so happy I found this site. I was using Google maps to find a place in Wisconsin and then one thing led to another... It's been wonderful reading all the posts. I've been taking a walk down memory-lane thinking back on all the good memories on the island.

I would really like to take a trip back and see what's changed and what's stayed the same. I think my family might be a little too "city-fied" to really enjoy it, though (my fault - I didn't raise them right! Very Happy). I hope the island still has it's rustic spots. That's one thing I really remember. And the black flies. Mad Sad
TonyDriza
Frequent Floater
Frequent Floater

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2007 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oblio wrote:
I hope the island still has it's rustic spots. That's one thing I really remember. And the black flies.

Rustic and still sporting black flies Wink, guaranteed!

A few changes, but I'd bet most of it will still be pretty recognizable to you. Hope you can make it back this summer...
islandnana
Gold Coast Guest
Gold Coast Guest

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2007 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oblio... are you referring to the A-frame at the end of the road....the one that takes you right to the lake. If so that place is now owned by Jack Miller and I don't think he uses this website. He does have an email address but right now I don't know what it is as my computer crashed and I didn't have it written down anywhere. He doesn't go there very often as he lives in Ohio. Hope this helps you out a little.
Oblio
Beach Glass Hoarder
Beach Glass Hoarder

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2007 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply. When we were on the island, there were only two cabins on Lake Mary. One was our A-frame which was on the lake just to the left of where the main road ended at the dock. I think this is what you're referring to.

The other cabin was down around to the left. It was a red cabin back off the lake a bit but they had a nice view down the lake. The folks that built that were named Valley but I don't know if they sold it or not. He had quite a bit of property, from what I remember.

Are there other cabins on there now? I think the land to the right of our cabin was all state land. There was another dock down at the bend of the lake (we called it the old dock but it got rebuilt so it wasn't really old anymore Smile ).
Al's Sister

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 6:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The old/new dock is gone.. Sad I hope they replace it sometime.. The area around your old place was sectioned off.. The A-frame has a couple new/old places near it.. Across the lake more land was sectioned out and cabins are going up all the time.. Bruce or Cindy on the site here can give you a run down on the Mary's Lake activity.. Very Happy
boisblancgirl
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 8:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oblio, welcome to the site.

My dad and brother used to work for Lou on the cottage. Not sure if you remember their names: Bert & Mike Gahn with Gahn Construction? He would probably remember them but you may have been too young, not sure.

There are a couple more houses now on Lake Mary. A new log cabin to the east of the old red one, and then one almost directly across the lake from your A-frame. Very nice homes, very well kept, and good neighbors.

Again, welcome.
boisblancgirl
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 8:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I forgot to mention that all of my family still refers to that A-frame as Cattaneo's. We aren't familiar with the present owners.
John Elmer Engel
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 8:53 am    Post subject: Welcome Reply with quote

Hello Oblio. Two years ago, at the annual BBI food fest and get-together just east of the A-frame, I did a little wandering and looked at the structure. It is close to the water but it is nestled in and almost concealed from view...very cool. I am sorta saddened that it is no longer yours. It needed some TLC, two years ago, ...maybe someone else has been working on it.
Kevin Gibbons
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi oblio
Welcome to the site. I did know your dad but just when I saw him. (Not very well at all.) The little red cabin by you on Mary's was owned by Bud Valley and sold a number years ago. Him and his wife DeAnn have both past away. I don't know who bought it, He was trying to get me to buy it at one time.
Oblio
Beach Glass Hoarder
Beach Glass Hoarder

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is some great info. Thanks so much for filling me in on what's been going on. This is such fun talking about the island! Really making me miss it, though.

boisblancgirl - I know that a bunch of people helped when my Dad built the cabin but you're right, I was too young to remember specifically who. All I really remember from back then was Andy's bar and getting gas at, I think they were the Richardson's? (I might be wrong on the name). Next time I see my Dad I'll mention Bert & Mike. I'm sure he'll remember. He'll get a kick that your family still calls it the Cattaneo's, too. Maybe that means I'm destined to get it back one day...? Very Happy

John - I'm trying to think of where the BBI food fest would be that was east of us. Was it around the corner on Lake Huron? Seems like there was nothing but woods to the east. Dad had picked a good spot for the cabin. We had a nice view and lake access but it was pretty well hidden. I imagine the trees have really grown up now. I had planted a few to the side to block us from the road. I wonder if they lived? I also hope somebody's keeping the place up. The winters up there can really do a number. There was always stuff to fix when we first got back up.

Kevin - That's sad news about the Valley's. My brother and I messed around with his sons over a few summers. It only seems like they were there a couple of years. I saw my first rattlesnake up by their cabin one summer. Something I'll never forget. I think that snake had an unfortunate encounter with a shovel. Sad Smile
boisblancgirl
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oblio,

I'm glad that you have made connections with your past. It's exciting isn't it? My dad has since passed, but my brother, I'm sure remembers your dad clearly. He still does carpentry work, but mostly on Mackinac Island, and comes home here on the weekends, weather permitting. It would be neat if you could get the cabin back, or at least purchase new property and be a part of us all again.

If you ever get back to the island, be sure to stop in at Hawks Landing, the general store and resturaunt/real estate. They could help you find property, and I work there, and would love to meet you.
j. munro-duncan
Frequent Floater
Frequent Floater

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like you still have a love for the island and would really enjoy a visit this summer! You should! I've been coming to the Island for about 30 years and now my husband and my 3 daughters and I can't wait to get back up there as soon as the boat starts runnin'. I don't know how old your kids are, but I bet they'd make some great new memories, if you plan a trip and start telling your stories of "way back when". And....if you think they are too "citified" to rough it, then check out the Webmaster Rob Johnston's rental, "Bridge View Cottage". (click on the link "Yellow Pages" on the top left list of the homepage) It's located toward the West End, but I had some of my "citified" college girlfriends and their families rent it, and it was clean, had plenty of sleeping space, and every amenity you might need! Or there is also the "Insel Haus", which is also very cozy and accomodating and more toward the ferry boat, near the Tavern.
And memories of monarch butterflies..."
Cindy Childs
Bois & Grills Club
Bois & Grills Club

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well we have the little log house 700 feet east of the A-frame. The little red cabin was Larry and Kathy's when they first bought the Boathouse Restaurant, when they went to the real estate office to close on the restaurant the Valley's were there to list it and they took it, then Larry's mother had it, it sold 1 month before Rosie's death to Randy and Autumn...who love the Island like they've been there forever. The Millers from Ohio bought the A-frame around 1989-1990? give or take a year, and come up to bird hunt, bow hunt and fish. Right next to the A-frame to the east is a green cabin that Tom and Joy Arthur built in 1991, now owned by Tom and Carol. We have telephones there and the power came through too! The lake has changed more than the homes around it. Three years ago water levels were way down, and ice was thick, we think there was a pretty severe winter kill, but the fish are slowly coming back. Someone planted a big bowl full of fertilized walleye 5 years ago or so and some lived. We had beaver activity to the west of the lake for the first time in a long time and their housing systems help keep our water in the lake. But the lake has filled in with a lot of silt, and at 5 feet tall I can almost walk all of the way across the lake on our end without going over my head. The good thing is we'll be moving up after Geoff graduates in June, so feel free to stop by and have a coffee or cold one (depending on the time of day), and just sit and watch the wetlands. That's what we like to do! So welcome back to the island.
theeislandgirl
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 3:05 am    Post subject: gas Reply with quote

Oblio .... Yes .. Where you got gas was at the Richardsons ...
Frank and Twink Richardson owned the place ..

They left the island about 1980 ..moved to Minn. ..then later moved to Texas where I am at .. They are my in-laws ..They both have passed away ..

I am not sure the year you came to the island .. if it was on or before
1976 I was living on the island ...

I hope you can make it to the island some time soon.

I had a nice visit there 2 years in a row ... summer of about 2004 and 2005 ...

Fe-Fe
~~connie faye ~~
The girl that lived at the ole dock all day long every day .....
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Oblio
Beach Glass Hoarder
Beach Glass Hoarder

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow. Sounds like lots of folks down at Lake Mary now! And electricity! That would be fun having folks around to visit with. I don't know how likely it is that I'll get back there anytime soon but we'll definitely stop by and say hello if we come back.

We started coming up around '68 or so. We'd make quite a few trips each summer ending with the deer hunt before Thanksgiving. My last trip was in '88 when we closed it down for our last time. Sad

In all that time I never made it to the west end. I'll keep that in mind for when I try to talk the fam into a trip back to MI for vacation. I also never made it to the lighthouse although we looked for the road several times. Never found anything that looked like it would go through. Is the main access from the west side?
Dan Reynolds
$$ Site Donor $$
$$ Site Donor $$

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I was about five years old (mid-1970s), I recall that my family stopped in to visit and take a look at that A-frame. My Dad was considering building one like it, and we got to come inside and see the place. I don't remember the 'visit' per se, but it was probably with you and your family. My folks stopped coming up in '88 as well, but I continued and ended up being the only caretaker of their property. Our place was on Thompson at that time.

The lighthouse road isn't too far from the end of the road at Lake Mary. If you go back from there to the first sharp turn, there's a vast expanse of loose gravel that kind of looks like it just reaches out toward the beach. That's where the road begins; you just have to look for an opening in the trees to the north. The road is probably a lot easier to find these days, with more people and traffic...

You can also get at it from the west, where the north shore road continues beyond Fire Tower Road.

Dan
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Bois Blanc Island Site Forum Index -> Introductions, Meet Your Fellow Islanders All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: