Home The Bois Blanc Island Site
An interactive site for islanders and island lovers

Home  ::  Forum  ::  Album  ::   Calendar  ::  Memberlist  ::  Usergroups  ::  Register 
 Profile  :: FAQ  ::  Search  ::  Log in to check your private messages  ::  Log in 

Greetings from Norway

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Bois Blanc Island Site Forum Index -> Introductions, Meet Your Fellow Islanders
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Karen
Black Fly Bait

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2007 3:47 am    Post subject: Greetings from Norway Reply with quote

Hi!

I visited the island 22 years ago(!) when I spent a year in the US. The family I stayed with had friends with a house on Bois Blanc, and I spent the most magical couple of days ever. Coming from Norway, where summernights are light (and even sunny if you go up north) I was flabbergasted by the enveloping darkness and starry sky over Bois Blanc - I remember sitting on a pier feeling as if I could reach up and pick stars out of the sky. Desperately romantic!

I can't remember the last names of my friends friends, they were really friendly and so very welcoming (like most Americans) Smile

I seem to recall they were called Sal(ly) and Wayne? Would anyone on this site know them - and are they still around?

Anyways - great web-site, thanks for letting me re-visit the island.

Best regards from Norway!
TonyDriza
Frequent Floater
Frequent Floater

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2007 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Karen!

Welcome back to the island, even if it is just floating out there in cyberspace. I don't know Sally or Wayne, but I'm sure that someone on the forum will...

Nice recollection of the night sky over BBI - it is stunning. Cool With no light pollution to contend with, you can see really see the sky as it's meant to be seen. As you said, "desperately romantic!"

I'd love to visit Norway, especially by boat. Exploring the fiords for a summer would be a treat beyond comprehension. It's going to have to wait a few years for it to happen, I'm afraid. If you have some "must see places" I'd love to hear about them (as would probably many others on the site!).

Hope you find your missing hosts!

Cheers.....................Tony
Al's Sister

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2007 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome Karen! Like Tony, I want to get stories from Norway.. Nothing like tips from a local! Cool

The only Sally I know is Sally Sperry.. If that was the case you would have been in what we call 'The Pines'. Were there a lot of homes around? Did you happen to stroll by the little school? Church? Community building? Were you enjoying the view from our well loved 'old dock'? Where everyone carves thier name.. Very Happy Now you can make new friends from the Island.. Enjoy the site.. Very Happy
Rob
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2007 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the site Karen. Great to have another international member among us. Very Happy

http://www.bridge-view.net
Karen
Black Fly Bait

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2007 4:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks everyone for the warm welcome!

Al's sister - I don't think their last name was Sperry, I have a vague recollection of it starting with a B but I might be wrong. Somewhere in a box in my attic there is a scrap book from my year in the US...one of these days I'll tidy all the boxes and see if I can find it. If I can't find a last name at least I might find a photo or two. Their house was right by the shore, (alas I have no idea of which shore!) we walked down a wooded lane to get to it and the beach was pebbled. We went sailing in a dingy, their house looked as if it could have been built in the 20's or 30's or perhaps earlier but I'm no expert on th history of US vernacular architecture. I remember going to an Episcopalian church for the first time (Norways state religion is Lutheran). Oh and the house might have been owned by the whole family not just this couple, as I remember a handsome nephew about my own age or perhaps a little older (weird things stick to teenage girls' minds eh?)

Tony - you could spend a year cruising the Norwegian fjords in a sailing boat. They are stunning. Norway is (by European standards) a fairly big country area-wise. (However only about 4,5 million people live here!) The distance from the capital Oslo to Tromsų ("big" town up north) is the same as the distance from Oslo to Rome! A great way of seeing quite a lot of Norway in about a fortnight is going by "Hurtigruten". It is a mixture of a cruise ship and freight ship - that is - they call at 35 ports all along the coast from Bergen to Lofoten. Hurtigruten is considered the lifeline along this stretch of the coast, characterised by its tremendous distances, scattered settlements and dramatic scenery. They have a web-site you might want to have a look at: www.hurtigruten.com

Rob thanks for registering me and welcoming me!

I thought spring had arrived to Oslo yesterday but I woke up this morning and it's snowing again. Confused Can't wait for spring, long light days and sunshine! Very Happy
Al's Sister

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2007 7:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Then you are remembering Sally pre-Sperry. When she was a Babler.. I got a job painting that house.. Cool I worked with Sally's daughter this past summer and Sally was spending the summer drawing and fishing! Ah, what a life.. Laughing
theeislandgirl
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2007 8:15 pm    Post subject: site Reply with quote

What a site !!

Could surely learn alot !!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
theeislandgirl
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2007 8:47 pm    Post subject: visit Reply with quote

It would be fun to hear Sally tell her memories of Karon Exclamation
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Bois Blanc Island Site Forum Index -> Introductions, Meet Your Fellow Islanders All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: