Home The Bois Blanc Island Site
An interactive site for islanders and island lovers

Home  ::  Forum  ::  Album  ::   Calendar  ::  Memberlist  ::  Usergroups  ::  Register 
 Profile  :: FAQ  ::  Search  ::  Log in to check your private messages  ::  Log in 

Signs of spring! (Bring it ON!)
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Bois Blanc Island Site Forum Index -> Conservation Corner
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Conis
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2007 1:06 pm    Post subject: Signs of spring! (Bring it ON!) Reply with quote

It's coming... Days are getting longer, sun feeling warmer. Birds beginning to sing on the warmer days.

It is supposed to be in the upper 50's by mid week. Our county dirt roads are SNIRT with the bottom beginning to fall out. I haven't seen the weight limit signs up, yet. A couple warm rains will wash down the snow and bring up the frost. I look forward to the mess.

I have not seen a Robin yet. Last spring was March 6.

Any Robin reports from down state? When/Where?

Last night, around 7 pm, Lots of deer moving around. Look healthy.

Out in a snow covered field, I saw a solitary Sandhill Crane standing. If birds have knees, he was up to his knees in snow. Looked lost. BUT there is a REAL sign spring is near, when the Cranes are seen moving north. I haven't seen any flocks (yet), but I bet they are staged just below the snow line. One warm surge and they will me moving en masse. Mr. solitary crane out in the fields, is on recon.

When Cranes migrate, they fly at VERY high altitude, in formation, and make a call I couldn't begin to describe. In fact, it is often hard to see them as more than white specs in the sky, quite distant from where there call seems to be coming from (because the sound travels so far, before we hear it).

They are also very aloof and keep their distance from man and civilization. They nest in the far north Artic. (which is where they are heading this time of the year.

Many years ago, while hiking (Cheboygan county, may), I was moving through a stand of hardwoods and decided to take a shortcut through an open field. I had stopped for a minute or two and perhaps a dozen landed in the field, 50' away. I watched for half an hour before the took off. A once in a lifetime experiance.

Read more:
http://www.birds.cornell.edu/AllAboutBirds/BirdGuide/Sandhill_Crane.html

flight sound similar to this;
http://www.savingcranes.org/species/calls/sandhill/Sandhill_Crane_Unison_Call.wav

Fun Fact
A Miocene crane fossil, thought to be about ten million years old, was found in Nebraska and is structurally identical to the modern Sandhill crane, making it the oldest known bird species still surviving!

Post your spring reports and sightings HERE!

Last edited by Conis on Sat Mar 10, 2007 1:26 pm; edited 1 time in total
theeislandgirl
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2007 1:20 pm    Post subject: story Reply with quote

I love the story with picture thing going on here !! it makes it more real ...

I hear the Doves more the past couple of days ..
Sorry I have no picture to share with you...

its been in the 80's the past few days .. the ole timers say we are to get one more "snap" ... maybe we had it and I did not know it as I do not feel the cold like the people that has lived here along time ...

I am waiting to get my flowers out !! and get my hands in the dirt !!

We are going to make a sand box for the kids .. but need to cover it up so the cats do not use it for their potty box .. Boy when they see all that dirt .they are going to have a party .. we have no cats ...just the neighbors cat except one be cause the people that lived here before us could not catch him when they were leaving so had to leave him and he keeps coming back and sleeps in the back yard against the wood fence .. I do put food out ..

Theres a neat story about that cat ....
The gal that lived here before us was a cat person she had a couple in the house ..
She told me that one day a big male cat came to her in the yard with 2 kittens ..dropped them in front of her and took off ..

So that cat was never tamed as he was still quite young when she moved out .. in fact they could not get the other one either. her daughter put a crate out and got one .afer her mom moved on... I tried by doing the same thing but I have my Winnie Dog so I had no luck in catching her .. the gal had put the grate out did it a few days before we moved in ... if i ever get this cat they asked me to call the daughter to come pick it up ..
The cat is well fed ... .its been over a year now and it still is coming back when I say the cat is well fed ..it is not me that is feeding ..i am on and off with it ..i am trying to figue out how to do it without winnie getting the food
I put a dish on the railing with a big rock in side but it seems to fall every time ..any ideas ?
Anyone out there have any ideas on how we can cover up the sand box so the cats can not get in the sand ??? I have one idea ...lets see what you guys can come up with ... I need the help !! thanks ..
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
mikewhite
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2007 7:52 am    Post subject: Another sign Reply with quote

The Indians of the North woods called March the month of the crow, I think. You do see them a lot more in March. They become much more active. Maybe they are discovering things exposed by the melting snows.

You may already know that sandhill cranes nest on BBI. The picture of the mother and babies remind me of last summer when I had the luck to see a mother and her "chicks". The chicks were about the size of a large chicken at the time.
islandnana
Gold Coast Guest
Gold Coast Guest

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2007 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We have sand hill cranes here in Florida where we're at this winter. So far the pair that come into our park aren't with babies at this time but we'll probably see some before we leave here. They are not too afraid of us here and will let you photograph them anytime. Signs of spring are even here in Florida except the orange blossoms are slow to bloom this year....maybe the cold weather had something to do with it....those few freezing nights. It is also getting warmer here where it's staying in the 80's during the daytime. Happy Spring....see everyone in May.
mikewhite
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2007 3:26 pm    Post subject: Where they "do it" Reply with quote

Penny,
They don't "do it" in florida! They fly up North and "do it". Wink
Conis
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2007 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think they can legally "do it" unless they are in the orange zone.

Otherwise a breeding-fee permit, land use tax may be applied by the DNR.

John Elmer Engel
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2007 7:32 pm    Post subject: Robins Reply with quote

Saw a pair today, my first sighting in Bay City, 3-11-07. Last year I first saw them on 3-9-06. Saw dozens of robins on Jan. 3, 2005. They left but I do not see a first sighting in March or april of that year in my calendars.
theeislandgirl
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2007 9:48 pm    Post subject: Cranes Reply with quote

Looks to me the Cranes are a Northern bird ...
As the orange was in northern michigan and a bit in the states but though Canada and Alaska ...

I did not know that before ...

I am enjoying this class in birds !!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
islandnana
Gold Coast Guest
Gold Coast Guest

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2007 7:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike---Sorry but they do it in Florida too.....I have pictures of baby sand hill cranes.....from Florida....lots of birds here you know that stay year round. Cool
mikewhite
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2007 9:58 am    Post subject: Another Thought Reply with quote

I hear that they may also fly United. Cool
Kevin Gibbons
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2007 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know if it means anything but I had a red wing black bird at the feeders for the first time this year on saturday.
Conis
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2007 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kevin Gibbons wrote:
I don't know if it means anything but I had a red wing black bird at the feeders for the first time this year on saturday.

I'd call that a spring sign!

Saw 4 Killdeer today, neighbors field up the road a tad.

She's coming! We have lost half our snow , last 2 days.

Bring it on!
islandnana
Gold Coast Guest
Gold Coast Guest

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2007 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike- Remember it was the turkeys that came to the island via airplane...one arrived DOA......don't think the sand hill cranes could afford to fly United....causes too many "little" problems.... Laughing
Spartan-1
Pines Paramour
Pines Paramour

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2007 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great,

Spring is spung, the grass is riss, I see were all the lil burdies is!

I will be over friday to start mushroom huntin!

Mike, Clover, Kevin,
any great spots to point me too!!
veva
Frequent Floater
Frequent Floater

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2007 10:35 pm    Post subject: SIGNS OF SPRING Reply with quote

Has anyone got an ice report?
First I couldnt wait for a crossing now cant wait till it is gone.
Some people are hard to please.

Thanks VEVA
theeislandgirl
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2007 4:01 am    Post subject: mike Reply with quote

Yeah ,, no ice crossing reports latley ...

Seems like the ice would be about gone by now ... or not crossable is more like it ...
The last reports did not sound too healthy ...
Uncle Steve
$$ Site Donor $$
$$ Site Donor $$

Location: Big Rapids, MI and Eagle Ridge AKA Red Roof Inn (2006) ... East end BBI

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2007 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very Happy Very Happy Was in G.R. ( Grand Rapids ) today... Hit 72 .. Spring is about here in West Michigan...

Uncle Steve
Squeaky
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2007 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Our tulips are popping out. Hope they will be ok. Love the temps. Was so beautiful today! Even saw a ground hog crossing our back lawn. I watch for the first sighting of him each spring. Ususally a good sign.
Conis
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2007 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Talked to friends in Indian River today. bumped 60, snow is GONE.

I had 62 at 7pm. Went from 20" a week ago to snirt today. GONE.

Still not seen a robin!
West End Piper
Pines Paramour
Pines Paramour

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2007 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We've been seeing robins for about 3 weeks now, down here in Swirling Heights. It was down right HOT today! Hot for me anyway. I break out in a sweat at 70 degrees!!! We spent the entire day outside. My daughter Willow even donned her bikini for a time today, because....."It's soooooo hot daaaaaaaaaaaaad! My wife put an end to her bikini frolic, as soon as she peeked out the front window! I got my butt chewed, for allowing it in the first place. I figure kids will be kids, y'know? She wasn't gonna freeze to death! Ah!, what a beautiful sunny, warm day! It made us all long to be on Boblo even more! Is the ferry running yet?!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! JK Laughing
doug miller
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2007 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I ran out of work early yesterday to enjoy the 73 degree sunny day here in Lansing. I agree with Piper's kid-raising philosophy, which explains why I enjoyed watching John (age 5 and 10/12ths) bury the tires of his bike in a mud hole, sit in the mud hole as he tried pulling it out, then proceed to lose for a time both of his shoes deep in the mud hole. For the first time this year, we got the hose out and hosed him and his clothes and shoes and bike and the places he'd touched down. Then we had a talk about how boys love rolling in mud and how most girls don't--though I am thinking Willow is one of the exceptions. A day like that is what John and I call 'the good life'.

I have a very yellowed Calvin and Hobbes cartoon strip on my wall at work that has been up ever since I cut it out of the paper in the early 90s. The first box shows Calvin sitting at his school desk looking glum. In the second, he says "What on earth am I doing in here on this beautiful day?! This is the only life I've got!!" In the next, his desk tumbles and his books fly as he runs screaming from his classroom. In the last, his teacher is carrying him back into class by the scruff of his neck saying "Next time, try a drink of water and a few deep breaths."

Calvin and I are alot alike. And I bet lots of the posters here are too.

As soon as anyone hears when the boat is running, please post.
bknoll
Pines Paramour
Pines Paramour

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2007 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know that spring is close....the kids and I were out hitting golf balls in the yard yesterday. It's been great walking out to the truck in the morning without saying, "Holy #@*#....why do I live here?!?!"
Kevin Gibbons
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2007 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The snow sure went down yesterday and the sun is out good today and it is warm. Yesterday it just got to 60 most of the day it was about 55 which seem really nice. Gota luv that spring! How is that
Conis
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2007 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

March is a misnomer.

Seen the weather report for the weekend? Don't forget this is Michigan and still March. Get these little glimmers of how glorious spring will be when we get the warm rains and everything greens up for real Mushroom hunting and the spring beauties and trout lillies and trilliums popping up.

Before we are entitled to these treats, we must withstand one last blizzard, freezing rain storm with no power for 3 days.. or some sort of final "maximum nasty weather humiliation"... This is when everyone opens the back door, trudges through slop, possibly falls on their *** for the 23rd time and screams "Holy #@*#....why do I live here?!?!"

Answer: "Because it feels so good when it stops..."

I haven't been to the straits but once all winter (NYE). Odd for me. December and January were no snow losers. The Feb got brutal cold with marginal sledding for a few days here and there.

About this time every year, I like to take a day trip starting in Indian River> Cheboygan> Mac City>Wilderness Park > Cross Village> Harbor Spgs and back to IR. Get those warm spring days, no one around, no traffic. Kind of like an official sign off to winter cerimony of mine.

Yesterday I was thinking. IT IS TIME. It is ALMOST time. Next warm up it will be time.

March is half over. 2 weeks to April. BRING IT ON!
Al'sOtherSister
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2007 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Isn't March suppose to go out like " a lamb"? Crying or Very sad
Think Snow.......GoAway!!!!!

Bob-Lo Island~Where The Wild Things Are...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Bois Blanc Island Site Forum Index -> Conservation Corner All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: