Home The Bois Blanc Island Site
An interactive site for islanders and island lovers

Home  ::  Forum  ::  Album  ::   Calendar  ::  Memberlist  ::  Usergroups  ::  Register 
 Profile  :: FAQ  ::  Search  ::  Log in to check your private messages  ::  Log in 

Island Memories

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Bois Blanc Island Site Forum Index -> Island History
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Al'sOtherSister
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2007 6:46 pm    Post subject: Island Memories Reply with quote

Since Connie Faye has been in such a mood lately to share her experiences, I thought you all might want to do the same.

I thought I would start out with a memory that maybe my sweet FeFe can help me with.
Seems her Jolinda and I, when we were about, 7 or 8, maybe younger??? set out to the little island store to get candy. Jolinda knew the back way, and off we went!
We made it there, and on the way back, walking on the side of the road, we were approached by a little red car. Now I remember it as Mrs. Bible, but please correct me if I am wrong.
She said " your mamma's are looking for you and they are very worried, get in and I will take you to your grandma's.
We got in and when we got to Gran'ma's cabin, across from the school, we were in big trouble!!!!
My mom told me I was to go lay down and think about what I had done, scaring her that way! I don't know what happened to Jolinda, but I heard alot of hollering!
We did not realize it had been probably an hour and a half. No one knew where we were at!
All I can really remember is feeling sorry for Jolinda, cause I thought she got in trouble worse than I did! She was the oldest in her family, and I was the youngest.

Bob-Lo Island~Where The Wild Things Are...
mikewhite
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2007 7:49 am    Post subject: Move from BBI Bugs Reply with quote

This response is moved from BBI Bugs.

What has kept me coming back and finally moving to BBI was all those fond memories of good and loving family and friends from my childhood. Sand Bay was a favorite place to have those picnics and swim. Everyone went there for the view and sunbathing too. When we were lucky enough to get the opportunity to buy land at Sand Bay, there was no hesitation. Lani and I had shared childhood memories of Sand Bay, because her family had a cottage there when she was young.

One memory of theeislandgirl was not so loving. I recall the fights over combing that long hair. If I had been you, I would have cut it off and took the spanking. Instead it was an ongoing battle brushing that beutiful hair every day.
theeislandgirl
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2007 11:31 am    Post subject: mike Reply with quote

oh but Mike when I would swim .. with all that hair flowing behind me
I felt like a mermaid !!

More Later !!
~~theeislandgirl Connie Faye or Fee -Fee ~~

Hey Sweet Lisa ...
I remember that story real well .... I will get back with you about that soon .. no time now .. xoxo
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
theeislandgirl
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2007 12:04 pm    Post subject: Grandma Reply with quote

I remember Grandma going on one of her walks .. she would go to the beach and start walking enjoying the smell...water..rocks and more ..
On one of these walks she forgot the time and it was getting dark so she headed up on to the road and by that time it was dark .... In the mean time Grandpa was very worried ..he got his lantern going and was going to start walking towards Sand Bay .. as he headed out the door . Here comes Grandma with her arms full of pine and cedar .Her face was red and she was pretty tired ... She told us she had walked the shore to sand bay and that is where she got on the road to head home ... it was a bit scary for her so after that walk she was sure to watch the time ..

Do any of you Grandkids remember her walks and the stories she would tell about them ???
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
mikewhite
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2007 8:31 pm    Post subject: Grandma Reply with quote

I only remember her wishing that she could get out of the house and do it more often. When our family arrived it created a lot of work cooking and cleaning. I recall her cleaning the house in the middle of the night.

For those who have no idea who we are talking about, it is Ila Calkins. She and Fay lived across from the school in the log cabin there.

Theeislandgirl is Connie Fay, daughter of Connie Feeley [Twigg]. Here is a picture that I know Connie Fay will love of Ila and daughter Connie.

http://www.bois-blanc.com/phpBB2/album_page.php?pic_id=1649
mikewhite
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2007 8:32 pm    Post subject: Grandma Reply with quote

I only remember her wishing that she could get out of the house and do it more often. When our family arrived it created a lot of work cooking and cleaning. I recall her cleaning the house in the middle of the night.

For those who have no idea who we are talking about, it is Ila Calkins. She and Fay lived across from the school in the log cabin there.

Theeislandgirl is Connie Fay, daughter of Connie Feeley [Twigg]. Here is a picture that I know Connie Fay will love of Ila and daughter Connie back in the 1950"s.

mikewhite
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2007 8:33 pm    Post subject: Double post Reply with quote

I had a problem and ended up with a double post. Sometimes there is a delete button and sometimes there is no way to get rid of a post, so that is why I am telling you this sad little tale.

Last edited by mikewhite on Wed Jul 04, 2007 8:42 pm; edited 1 time in total
mikewhite
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2007 8:35 pm    Post subject: Grandma Reply with quote

Theeislandgirl is Connie Fay, daughter of Connie Feeley [Twigg]. Here is a picture that I know Connie Fay will love of Ila and daughter Connie back in the 1950"s.

Pharmer Lana
Birch Baby
Birch Baby

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I loved my great grandmother. She would always try to feed me (and everyone else too). Once Melissa and I were visiting Dad in Kalkaska and we decided to walk over to visit with Grandma. We warned her that we had already eaten, but as soon as we got there she started pulling food out of the fridge. So we ate again, hot dogs I think.

I don't think she ever understood my finicky eating behavior. I think that she thought that if she kept offering more things, that eventually she would find something that I would eat. Her cooking was great; I was just too young to appreciate it.

I loved playing with her piano and the little cast iron miniature stoves that she kept in the front room in Kasky. I remember when Dad lived there with her for a few years. We would spend Christmases there - like the one when Dad gave us our first dog. We got warm winter boots that year too. My feet were always cold.

She got very hard of hearing after a while. I remember the phone there, and how everyone sounded so loud on that phone.

And I remember those stained glass windows and the drafty upstairs that needed insulation blown into the walls. \

None of those are Island memories; just memories of an Island Girl and how she lived.
theeislandgirl
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 7:02 pm    Post subject: picture Reply with quote

Oh Mike I was thinking about that picture !! .. Thank You Thank You for putting it on here !! Very Happy

Yes .. when we speak of Grandma on the island we always tell about how she would bang the pots and pans at midnight ... She was a night owl but also the only time she had to mop the kit floor was after we all went to bed ...

She worked very hard for all the Grandkids ..Cooked wonderful meals , and you could see the flour flying about as she cooked ..

Remember how we would bang the Kit. screen door as we went in and out ??? and of course all the flies would come in .. so at times we all had to go outside as she covered everything so she could spray for flies ...

We would go to the beach and have a picnic as you said before with all food made from scratch ...
Grandma loved those picnic's .

When we all would go for a ride we would ask Grandma to go along but she just would not go as she was worried about the dinner for us ...

There were times Mom would really try to talk her into it but she would not go ..
I had fun when you guys came as it was like a little vac for me too ..we would eat at Sand Bay more or the west end near the cross then Aunt Ginny and family would come at a diffrent time and off to the beach we would go for another picnic ...

Mom and Grandma did work hard cleaning the cottages and Grandma would cook for the hunters at the wickup .. I would go with her sometimes ..the guys would rave about her cooking .. I think some of them would come up hunting just to eat Grandmas good cooking !! Very Happy

I enjoyed your memories Lana .. I remember you and Missy would come and spend some time with your Dad there at Grandmas .... Do you remember me then ???
I left Michigan and went to alaska when alot of you were quite small but would make trips back .. I have alot of memories at the house in Kasky too ..
Thanks again Mike for making my day !! Happy Happy Happy
Pharmer Lana
Birch Baby
Birch Baby

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 4:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

While Jolinda hung out with Dondi and Shanna, Melissa and I would hang out with Todd and John-John. I have a lot of great memories of them. It would be nice to seee them as adults.
Al'sOtherSister
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 6:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Adults, together, in the bar....LOL!

Pharmer Lana
Birch Baby
Birch Baby

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

okay, when?
theeislandgirl
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 10:14 pm    Post subject: memories Reply with quote

I would just love it if my kids and their kids could make a trip to the island .. and they want to make that trip too.. hopefully one day in the near future..

The cousin reunion is the last week end in July right ???

We may make it but will go and see Sara first ..we are going with the flow there as we never know when the baby decides to leave the cozy and warm tummy to go to the outside world ..

You and Missy are about the same age as L.Todd and John-John ...
theeislandgirl
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2007 12:36 pm    Post subject: Island memories Reply with quote

I remember one year our teacher Larry Dunbar decided we needed a skating area out in front of Kidders place ..

The ice was pretty smooth that year but we had to put water on it to freeze it to make it even smoother..

It was one of the "highlights" that Mr. Dunbar did for us .. We really had fun ....
theeislandgirl
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 9:44 pm    Post subject: Lisa Reply with quote

Lisa .. I can finally get to your memory of you two girls going to the store .. it was Fishers store at the time .. The Country Store owned by Mrs.Fisher

As I recall Jolinda was 5 ... you both had some coins and decided to spend it ..

I was so protected of my kids on the island .. she at that time could not even go over to the school house to play .( I thought she may get hit as she crossed the road).so when she was missing I really was scared .. all I could think about is going down to the pines dock and seeing her floating face down .. oh it was so scarey for me but that is the first place I would look ..

On the trip to the store .. Audrey Gahn stopped you two and asked if your mothers knew where you were going ( Audrey told us later) as both of you were small ...

We looked all over and could not find you two .. I did not remember that someone brought you home ...

I do not believe it was Mrs. Bible because I do not think she ever had a red car but the lady that took care of the country store ( Liz Egan's Grandmother) did ..I think ...

And you are right about Jolinda getting in more trouble then you .. that must have really stuck in your mind ...after all these years you rememberd that ...

The Lake is what I was worried about when I lived on the island ..
That memory was a good one .. you got your question answered about Jolinda getting in more trouble .. You were not much older then Jolinda .. just over a year ??? What year were you born .. 63 or 64 ? Jolinda was born in 65 .....
Al'sOtherSister
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2007 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was born in 64. I am a yr older. Maybe it was the lady from the store. I only remember the red car. Someone had suggested it was Mrs. Bible a long time ago, I think that is why it stuck in my head.
Yes, she did get in alot of trouble. I was sent to one of the rooms to think about it. I sure did!

theeislandgirl
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2007 6:17 pm    Post subject: time Reply with quote

One time we even put up a huge tent out by the cross in the woods a bit ... you would have thought we left the island and went on a vac. !!!
it was so much fun .. we cooked over the fire for our meals ...
and just had a grand time .. I think we stayed about 4 days ... then back to the pines we went which was our litle city .. lol
theeislandgirl
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2007 1:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One late afternoon ..I stopped in to Plaunts home and they were eating dinner ..they invited me to sit in the rocker they had in the kit. by the cook stove that also was a wood burner too, I believe ..
Mickie Caulkins was there too ... Ray asked me if I wanted some cookies and I said "No thank you I am full" Ray said "you are Full ?? Well, glad to met you" Full" and since that day Mickie and Ray have called me "Full"
theeislandgirl
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2007 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grandpa Calkins was a gentle caring person .. He did not get upset very ofton but when he did he would wave his arms around as he talked ..and we took heed ..

One day Mr. Hoover was going to come visit Grandpa ..He wanted to buy the cabin by the creek and all that went with it ..
Aunt Ginny and Uncle Bud and cousins were there at the time .. I do not know what hapenend but Grandpa was outside by the door with his arms flying around ..talking real loud .. Then we seen Mr. Hoover !!

Aunt ginny, mom,and grandma were trying to tell him Mr. Hoover was walking up the path ... He kept on ..and on .. he was hard of hearing too. Finally he understood what they were trying to tell him and he settled down ...hopefully before Mr. Hoover heard all that .we will never know ..

It was a fun story later to talk about ...I loved the way aunt Ginny could tell these stories ..!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Bois Blanc Island Site Forum Index -> Island History All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: