Home The Bois Blanc Island Site
An interactive site for islanders and island lovers

Home  ::  Forum  ::  Album  ::   Calendar  ::  Memberlist  ::  Usergroups  ::  Register 
 Profile  :: FAQ  ::  Search  ::  Log in to check your private messages  ::  Log in 

Lake Levels
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Bois Blanc Island Site Forum Index -> Conservation Corner
View previous topic :: View next topic  
doug miller
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did anyone on the island this past weekend notice if the lake level seemed higher, lower or about the same?
mikewhite
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 10:17 am    Post subject: Todays measurement Reply with quote

I walked out and measured, Doug. It is up 7 inches since the beginning of April. This basically concurs with the sites Conis has supplied us.

The island has a lot of water on it. The creeks are rolling and the suckers were running. I have seen the water table a lot higher though.

This is the time of the year for muck boots, if you go out in the woods.
Dan Reynolds
$$ Site Donor $$
$$ Site Donor $$

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It did seem like there was more water than we've seen in the past few years - similar to how it was 20 and 30 years ago. Gonna be a big year for skeeters.

The north shore road had a pretty good washout (and a couple of lingering snowdrifts) about half a mile east of the cross. The water was flowing rapidly in the culverts and along roadsides wherever we went.
doug miller
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A couple of weeks ago, I spent a get-ready-for-summer work-weekend at Camp Hayo-went-ha, a YMCA Camp on Torch Lake. I was a camp counselor there in 1976 and, during that summer, brought a group of campers to Bois Blanc Island.

During the work-weekend, I saw a book about the camp and, lo and behold, there was a picture of the cross on BBI and a caption that said it had been constructed by one of the groups of campers from Hayo-Went-ha. The book did not provide any other info on the cross and it did not make it clear when it was built, but it suggested that it was in the 70s or 80s. Anyway, it was kind of fun to see the BBI-Hayowentha link.

Does anyone know any more specifics about that cross; when it went up, etc.? Just curious.
Dan Reynolds
$$ Site Donor $$
$$ Site Donor $$

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 7:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was there throughout the mid-late '70s, so I'd say it was constructed in the late '60s/very early '70s time frame. A volunteer group was credited with building it, but I don't recall if it was a Scout group, the Y group, etc.
Islander
Stone Skipper

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 9:00 am    Post subject: Lake Levels Reply with quote

I was told that a Boy Scout Group were the first group involved. It was taken down for a short period of time Then another group of campers replaced the Cross. I don't know if it was the original cross or a replacement was constructed. At the time it was down I visited that end of the island and the cross was not visible which led me to believe the replacement was reconstructed.
mikewhite
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 9:05 am    Post subject: Pipe measurement Reply with quote

I measured my pipe driven into the lake yesterday. I had to wade out to it. I measured down from a reference point to the water surface and found that since the beginning of April the water level has come up approximately one foot.
doug miller
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow. And with all the rain that has been falling in the great lakes area, perhaps it will even go up more.
hoverusa
Island Idolizer
Island Idolizer

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lots of good info from GLIN, linked from the home page

http://www.great-lakes.net/envt/water/levels/levels-cur/hurwlc.html

What's New
Superior's water level higher
The Sault Star (6/11)
Lake Superior's water level is 35 centimetres higher than it was at this time last year, while Huron-Michigan has risen to just a centimetre above 2007 year-to-date levels.
ashleygask
Stone Skipper

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2008 8:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

its about time the levels came up! Smile
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
mikewhite
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2008 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This link, supplied by Conis, has the most revealing graphs, for me anyway. They compare the previous year, the long term average, and make a forecast. It is easy to understand.

By studying it, I see that we are still about 18 inches below the long term average.

http://www.lre.usace.army.mil/greatlakes/hh/datalinks/PrinterFriendly/DailyLevelsEnglish.pdf
Conis
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2008 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
By studying it, I see that we are still about 18 inches below the long term average.

Is the lake half full or half empty?

At least making a significant+ gain for a change. From where the levels were Last August, we would have been in trouble if the lake receded any further.

I see superior is WAY up this year. That will help Michigan and Huron.
Weena Fritzer
Beach Glass Hoarder
Beach Glass Hoarder

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 12:32 pm    Post subject: Creeks Reply with quote

Can anyone tell me WHERE the creeks are on the island. Funny thing, While on the island I have never seen the creeks. And this troubles me for I've been there and each time I see something new like discovering a new world.
mikewhite
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 9:11 am    Post subject: Just do it. Reply with quote

That is the fun part. Go exploring and find them yourself. I'm not telling. Very Happy
John Elmer Engel
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 4:51 pm    Post subject: Creeks Reply with quote

If you look closely as you travel the main road, you will see the small flowing creeks going under the road out to Lake Huron. They are hard to notice if traveling in a car. They are more visible walking or biking.
hoverusa
Island Idolizer
Island Idolizer

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

one of the easier to find is a bit to the west of Hawks,......

and if you mapquest the island, you can find where it comes from!

:)

Mike
John Elmer Engel
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 7:43 pm    Post subject: Island Intrigue Reply with quote

The island nuances. Small creeks. Hidden lakes. Big Rock. I know each islander could add to this two word list.

The questions about the creeks and then the comment, "do you know where the water comes from?" is why I love the island. There is wonder with every step.

Where does that water come from? I have a guess.
Weena Fritzer
Beach Glass Hoarder
Beach Glass Hoarder

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 10:52 am    Post subject: creeks Reply with quote

I Thank all of you for your input. And while you were kindly typing your replys I was exploring the island side for such wonders of the world. I DID happen to see the creek west of Hawks. Funny thing is we have driven over it many times and never knew it was there until this last weekend. The water levels are so much higher than last year and it was so easy to spot lots of streams and two creeks with water moving swiftly. We took a family picture on the stone wall west of Hawks.. I will be posting it soon :] Thank you. I am missing the island already. We shall return in August!
mikewhite
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 2:41 pm    Post subject: measurement Reply with quote

I had to put on shorts and wade out to my pipe marked in one foot increments. I measured down from a mark and found that the water has risen one and a half feet since April 1st. That means that since my last measurement June 13 the lake came up another 6 inches.

This is the time when it will reach a peak for the summer. The steams here have slowed way down.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Bois Blanc Island Site Forum Index -> Conservation Corner All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: