Home The Bois Blanc Island Site
An interactive site for islanders and island lovers

Home  ::  Forum  ::  Album  ::   Calendar  ::  Memberlist  ::  Usergroups  ::  Register 
 Profile  :: FAQ  ::  Search  ::  Log in to check your private messages  ::  Log in 

Getting Close!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Bois Blanc Island Site Forum Index -> Photo Comments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Al's Sister

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 3:29 pm    Post subject: Getting Close! Reply with quote

To that time to put in our picks for the new shots on the front page.. Very Happy Being as the last winners had a delay in getting posted I'm extending this a bit to get last minute participation.. Cool I know a few of you have been taking some time to go leaf peeping when you went up to drain the pipes.. We would love to see your shots of our favorite place.. thumbs_up!
j. munro-duncan
Frequent Floater
Frequent Floater

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Susie!!!

ARRRGGHHH! Funny you should post this topic because I was just on the website last night 'til the wee hours of the morning trying to figure out how to post several photos I took while on the rock last weekend. Everytime I'd click on upload pic, it'd tell me that my photo was too big or corrupted. I went back and thought that I had decreased the size and changed them to jpeg, yadda, yadda, yadda.....I'm frustrated! What is the general procedure for posting shots? I've got a brand new MacBook Pro, so I should be right up there with capability and speed and all that techno mumbo-jumbo. I'm thinkin' it's gotta be easier than all the crud I went through last night with no success! Any suggestions?
And memories of monarch butterflies..."
Al's Sister

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2007 6:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm having the same problem and have been meaning to point it out to Rob. I'll check the settings but resizing and redoing has worked for me.. (checked settings and it allows big files!) I've made my resize with a little right click tool I got from Microsoft.. Then resized to 600x450.. That seems to be the biggest it would allow.. Shrug
plz keep trying.. Maybe it's a temporary glitch.. :wave:
mikewhite
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2007 7:44 am    Post subject: ImageResizer Reply with quote

Suzie mentioned the ImageResizer. She recommended that little add-in last winter, I think. It is only 521Kb. I got it and it is slick as *** on a doornob. It only works in Windows XP though. There is no real program, you just right click and "resize pictures" becomes an added feature in the menu that pops up.

I have been using the ImageResizer for all those pictures of flowers posted this past summer. When you have a thumbnail picture before you (or a picture file name), right click it to get the menu, click "resize picture" and you get a little window that gives you four choices of picture size. I used the custom size default value for all the flower pictures, 1200x900. When you click a size, another file is created in the same folder at the end or bottom. Small, medium, large or custom is automatically added to the name.

I highly recommend that everyone get this quick and so simple add-in from the following place:

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/downloads/powertoys/xppowertoys.mspx
Al'sOtherSister
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2007 8:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Susie...to clarify, the contest is for BBI photos only?

Bob-Lo Island~Where The Wild Things Are...
Al's Sister

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2007 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah! Thanks Mike.. Cool You haven't had any problem uploading your big files so I wonder what the glitch is. Question That is a handy tool! I went too small with my Golden Giants shot and it started creating warped pixels.. I used the medium for the last one and that's not too bad.. I would prefer editing myself for best quality.. We could go smaller in our files to save bandwidth use and I've found 600x450-80, 75 res.is a nice range for web viewing.. Quicker upload too. (stinkin Sad dialup) Good luck with your entry. Smile
Al's Sister

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2007 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, that's the guideline.. An older picture is absolutely acceptable.. We LOVE those! Cool I like keeping with the theme of the site and want to offer the members a chance to highlight what they appreciate about Bois Blanc Island.. Entering the contest automatically does that. Ending up one of the top two highlights a common viewpoint of members. I like the competition and sharing. Thanks for the question.. Smile
j. munro-duncan
Frequent Floater
Frequent Floater

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2007 2:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yay! Thanks Lisa and Mike! I gave it another go and found that it finally worked only when I changed the size down to 600 x 450. Even though it says that it allows 1250, I tried 1200 x 900, but that's when it told me my files were too big. I'm so glad I finally figured this out! I've lots of great shots from square dances, Fun Day, the Lighthouse, and many other great moments while spent on the Island this summer. Thanks bunches!

Take a peek at the new entries for the Photo of the Season!
And memories of monarch butterflies..."
Rob
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2007 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I uploaded a test picture today. 960 x 1280 image size, 108 kb file size. My guess is your file size is too big; the current limit is 500 kb. Hope that helps.

http://www.bridge-view.net
Al's Sister

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2007 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you Rob.. That does help.. Cool
mikewhite
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2007 7:25 am    Post subject: ImageResizer Reply with quote

Another feature of the ImageResizer is the automatic reduction in file size. Most of those flower pictures were originally plus or minus 4 Mb. After resizing, the horizontal ones average 200 to 300 Kb. The vertical ones are reduced to less than 200 Kb. That is why I have had no trouble uploading them.

In a lot of programs, if you only reduce the pixels, the file size stays big.
theeislandgirl
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 7:32 pm    Post subject: thank you Reply with quote

My thanks to you for manymanythings for making this ste to work and putting more space on ..we could not dure with out you .. ...
i will let you rest now
~~theeislandgirl .....ConnieFaye
Conis
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2007 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have used the MS image resizer often. Fast and can set the final size in the options window. Only complaint I have about it is that it often seems to reduce the end result image quality by reducing the colors in the original at the same time. Backgrounds look mottled etc.

Instead I use "snippy" (software)to resize. Pull up the photo in win photo fax viewer and size the image by adjusting window size. Then "snippy it" and save it to a new file name. This approach doesn't seem to alter colors. What you see on the monitor is what snippy saves, verbatum. Also can crop quickly using snippy.

Someone told me "snippy" is now shareware. I have the original Beta free-ware version that you can download (free) if you want it. Very small program file, like 50k. Great little utility, use it every day for email and all sorts of things.

Mike, you have snippy, give it a shot at resizing per above...

To save an image, right click on the snippy icon in the bottom tray after image has been copied to clipboard. Up pops the save window. Be sure to add .jpg to the file name when saving it. Capable of saving in several different formats.
mikewhite
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2007 7:50 am    Post subject: Snippy Reply with quote

With Snippy, I usually hold down the shift key so it will select a rectangle, and because the image is stored in the clipboard, I open Microsoft Photo Edito, paste it there, and save it. Thanks for the shortcut "save as" hint. I just used Snippy last night to cut out a picture on the internet. As far as I know it is still free.

I haven't noticed a lose of color quality with the ImageResizer. Maybe because I have been using the custom size.
Conis
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2007 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a link for anyone who wants to give "snippy" a try. I keep it posted on my webserver.

www.ats-sonic.com/Q831167.exe 90kb

Download it (save) then click the file to install it. Takes all of about 30 seconds to do both. It will install a little pair of scissors (icon) on the desktop. Click on the icon and it loads it into the tray across the bottom of the screen (by the clock/date). Click on the icon there, to activate it (or F11 shortcut).

You can either cut out an image with the mouse, or cut out with a square rectangle by holding the shift key down

It's a no-brainer to use once you figure out the 3-4 options available.

Lightning fast to insert images into email, word docs, photo programs... way faster than scrounging through saved images in directories. Many are unaware that a copied image can be saved directly from the clipboard by right clicking the scissors in the tray. The image doesn't have to pasted into another program and saved there. Just remember to add the .jpg to whatever file name "whatever.jpg" Otherwise the format will be unknown. 5 format options. Select one, usually .jpg

I use this program daily, especially handy for transferring scaled/cropped images directly from a camera to email, Eliminates 4-5 steps.

Get with me if you get stuck.
Conis
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2007 9:39 am    Post subject: Re: Snippy Reply with quote

mikewhite wrote:

I haven't noticed a lose of color quality with the ImageResizer. Maybe because I have been using the custom size.

It may have something to do with selecting a smaller size that is proportionate in pixel ratio. IE reduce 640x480 to 320x240 50%. I am not sure what is going on. What I found was a lot of dithering especially when an original image had a flat single color within it. Somehow the color resolution was being reduced along with the image size?

If the image quality ( maintaining colors) is important, I use snippy or photo editor, instead.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Bois Blanc Island Site Forum Index -> Photo Comments All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: