Home The Bois Blanc Island Site
An interactive site for islanders and island lovers

Home  ::  Forum  ::  Album  ::   Calendar  ::  Memberlist  ::  Usergroups  ::  Register 
 Profile  :: FAQ  ::  Search  ::  Log in to check your private messages  ::  Log in 

deer season
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Bois Blanc Island Site Forum Index -> Conservation Corner
View previous topic :: View next topic  
veva
Frequent Floater
Frequent Floater

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 8:20 pm    Post subject: deer season Reply with quote

how has the season been so far// has there been any snow
Rosemary
Bois & Grills Club
Bois & Grills Club

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Haven't you been up there? Thought sure you would be protecting my property!! haha

"UNTIL ONE HAS LOVED AN ANIMAL, PART OF THEIR SOUL REMAINS UNAWAKENED"
mikewhite
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 10:21 am    Post subject: Hunting Reply with quote

There were quite a few bucks taken this year compared to other years. The hunters even had a few days of tracking snow.

An inch of snow just fell this morning.

I want to add that the bar and the store are closed as of Sunday. People are leaving in droves.
Kevin Gibbons
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a good year shooting a 6 pt. Now if we could get everyone to quit shooting the does our herd would grow. And congradulation to Brandon the 10 pt that you got was a good looking deer. Nice rack
bknoll
Pines Paramour
Pines Paramour

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Now if we could get everyone to quit shooting the does our herd would grow.

Now we could have a good debate about that! Have to discuss it sometime, Kevin.

Good job on the 6 point!
BBIBABS
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kevin,
You are so right. It is getting a little better but would get better faster if they quit shooting does. I haven't seen a fawn come out a bucks but yet.

It would also be nice if the people that are not new hunters to let the spicks up to 4 points go. We would get some nicer bucks also.

Tony Babcock
bknoll
Pines Paramour
Pines Paramour

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm.....just what is the buck to doe ration on the island anyways?? I'm pretty sure it is just like the rest of the state....way out of wack.
Kevin Gibbons
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That buck to doe ratio is an old DNR excuse for a doe season. It don't mean nothing. You can't get a fawn out of a buck. You need doe's to get bucks. And one buck takes care of a lot of doe's. There is lots of food for them and that is what matters. Doe season is about as Conis would say all about the money.
bknoll
Pines Paramour
Pines Paramour

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So...you shoot that buck in October before it tends multiple does which should have two fawns a piece and now how many deer have you killed by shooting that buck in October? If they tend 10-15 does in the rut at a minimum and that doe should have twins, you've killed potentially over thirty deer.

You guys know any good recipes for horns??

Kevin....we'll have to go salmon fishing this year and talk about this!
Conis
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to set my record straight:

The situation down here in the farm belt is entirely different than on BBI where I would estimate there are 10-20x as many deer per square mile.

Due to last three near non existant winters plus depression in coyote population, the deer herd has literally exploded beyond the point of over population. The farmers (all my neighbors) are howling about crop damage. 30 bushels of corn from 20 acres when they should be getting 300 bu?

My county (mecosta) issued 14,000 landowner doe permits this year. About half will actually get bought and used. Bucks, does whatever. They will keep them in check, maybe... but they will never eradicate them in spite of efforts. Just too much food, cover.

Few realize how prolific deer are under ideal conditions, which about is what they have around here.

Our buck to doe ratio is about 1-15 or 20. Reason is simple: So many juvenile bucks get taken with the does. Happens all the time in spite of a hunter being as careful as possible. That's unfortunate but how it goes.

It's all about the money all right. Money coming out of the farmers pockets and for auto insurance claims. The DNR tried giving open kill (block) permits, at no charge to farmers... only contingency being the public be allowed on to hunt. That flew like a lead baloon. So now they charge a few bucks for a doe permit and have tightened things up a little.

I don't eat the horns and personally think the does taste better. I been helping my neighbors, had a successful season with a freezer full to show for it. Deer are still anything but scarce around here.

From the number of young bucks seen this year and allowed to pass, I think we are looking at a great season in '08 with the same or more deer than we have had this year.
veva
Frequent Floater
Frequent Floater

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi rosemary we stood guard until the 20 th. it was a good time and we got 4 for 5 hunters. one of which was a 8 point piebald. this deer even had one white foot. the rest of the deer was one quater white.see ya in the spring veva
Kevin Gibbons
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Down state in the corn belts the deer are a lot different then on the island. The farmers would rather there be no deer then any. We want deer on the island for one thing is the ecomony in hunting season. And Brad the majority of the deer are taken durning rifle season which starts on the 15th of nov. not Oct. The bucks have already been in the root. They have taken care of the doe's. So when you shoot a doe in rifle season it is like getting an aboration you kill the young deer also. More so in December. I'am so glad that most of the camps on the Island have gone to bucks only. And they proud of it. There is a few camps that still shoot the first brown thing they see. But it is down from what it used to be. My camp you can only shoot bucks or you move on. No Doe's hanging on our buck pole. Besides anybody can shoot a doe. I agree with Tony we should start letting all bucks less then 6pts go. We would start getting bigger racks. But we need hunters that can do that. What most people think is that we have a lot of deer on the island but we don't. We used to have a population of about 700-800 and you could go to th airport or the orchard by the bar and see 50-60 deer. You could take a ride and count 50-60 deer any where. Now the only place is on the south shore and you might get lucky and see a couple.
Kevin Gibbons
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh by the way Brad I'm ready for salmon fishing. How come you didn't call me and go this year with me. You didn't miss much I didn't do very good, nothing like last year. I hope you are a better salmon fisherman then a hunter. HA
Conis
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Down state in the corn belts the deer are a lot different then on the island. The farmers would rather there be no deer then any. We want deer on the island for one thing is the ecomony in hunting season.

Thanks Kevin. That was the point I tried to make.

It comes down to whether or not you want more or less deer... and for what reason. The economy part of things, sport hunting on BBI versus the farmers paying for the deer herd, here, is the difference.

Here we have a serious overpopulation problem, farmers aside. Each year, they shoot the hell out of the herd (both sexes) and there are just as many the next year. I would imagine that if they didn't do that, it would be like it was in the 80's, 100-200 deer per section. The DNR had to do something.

I hesitate to even call it deer "hunting" in the farm belt. There is no hunting to it. Sit there for 20 minutes any evening, and ding one. To Hunt deer, I would come to BBI.

From what I have seen, I suspect there are more deer on BBI than many would guess? With all the wild land? Who would know? How many hunters on the island this year? 60 bucks taken? It isn't like they can easily do a census or educated guess, like here, when they are congratated in the fields in the spring? How would the DNR management geniuses know how many deer on BBI? They don't. They guess... and whoops?

I still maintain that what I have seen happen here, from both sex management, is: The buck to doe ratio gets gets skewed by the number of button bucks mistakenly taken as does. I believe this does more damage to a herd that thinning does.

We have a six point rule around here, too. Some nice deer taken locally this year. I got a 7 pointer (3 year old) that dressed at 170#. My friend/neighbor took an 8 pointer (5 years old) that dressed at 205# Heavy corn fed deer.

Question: Nicest buck to come off BBI this year? By who and where?
Kevin Gibbons
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The biggest Buck I would have to guess that Brandon Schlund got the biggest or close to it if not. It was a beautiful 10 pt and a big deer. He got it a couple days before rifile season with his bow.
Al's Sister

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congratulations to everyone who got their deer! Cool
Kevin Gibbons
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Susie
mikewhite
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 4:31 pm    Post subject: deer Reply with quote

Thanks Susie
ctrevor007
Hawks' Haunter
Hawks' Haunter

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reading some of the posts on this topic, i must say that i am a little disturbed. I fear that if i reply with my own thoughts, some may be offended, and the last thing i want to do is offend someone. All that i know from my experience rifle hunting this year is that i saw many, many, many, does, and a few bucks, and i thought the hunting was great. I think the deer herd for the size of the island is good. I covered alot of land, (miles, and miles) still hunting. I harvested a 5 point, not for his rack, but for his body size (the largest body size taken in our camp - we took 4). If anyone would like to talk further in private, hit me up...
mikewhite
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2007 8:19 am    Post subject: Hunting Reply with quote

For those who wonder what still hunting is, it is slipping silently as possible through the woods, stopping often to be still and watch for the deer.

Still hunting is real hunting! You place yourself in the right place at the right time. A lot of skill and a lot of luck is involved. When you get a buck that way, you can say that you hunted a buck. Bois Blanc is the best for this type of hunting, thick woods.

Was the buck you shot stalking a doe and not even aware that you were there?

Last edited by mikewhite on Fri Nov 30, 2007 8:30 am; edited 1 time in total
BBIBABS
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2007 8:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here are some of my thoughts.

The Babcock family has lived on the Island for around 90+ years. We have seen the deer heard a lot smaller and also a lot larger. The Island has plenty of food for the larger deer heard (unlike what you here from the DNR) if they believe otherwise they should come with us on some long walks in the woods.
I think the heard is bigger this year for a few reasons.
One is that we have had a couple of mild winters.
Two is that there have been a few less hunters because of the lack of seeing deer in the last few years.
Some of the hunters that have been around a while are not shooting does and letting the smaller bucks go. I let a couple of spikes and a 3 point go in the first couple of days.

Now Iím not saying that everyone has to do this but if you enjoy seeing more deer I believe it would help. I enjoy the excitement of seeing the deer and Iím not shooting them just for the meet, I just enjoy hunting with my Dad and friends. Getting a deer is a bonus.

When I was younger you could drive around the Island and see 30 deer or more (not just at the orchard by the bar and at the airport) you could see them almost anywhere along the roads. Now you are lucky to see 2 or 3.

If you are around the Pines or other places that are feeding the deer almost year around you will see more deer. But out in the places that there arenít as many people there are a lot fewer deer then in years that the heard was big.

Tony Babcock
Conis
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2007 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quick comment:

I understand the coyote population on BBI is extremely low (mange) right now. At least that the situation mid state and combined with mild winters, accounts for the population explosion in the herd.

Higher survival rate of fawns in the spring will really boost herd size.

Natural cycle of things I suppose.
bknoll
Pines Paramour
Pines Paramour

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2007 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Oh by the way Brad I'm ready for salmon fishing. How come you didn't call me and go this year with me. You didn't miss much I didn't do very good, nothing like last year. I hope you are a better salmon fisherman then a hunter. HA

Kevin....Got really busy in July and August this past summer...camping, coaching my sons travel baseball team, going to my son golf tournaments all over the state and Canada. Amazing I still had any time to apply for doe permits! Wink

Hope we can make it this summer!!
Kevin Gibbons
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2007 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good statement Conis I agree with you. That has got to be the longest post that you have made Tony. You said it well. If you get away from the south shore in the winter you will not even see a deer track. They just hang around the bate piles where the people are feeding them. It is pretty easy to count how many deer on the island then. I remember taking off well over 100 bucks this year we are up over the last couple years and what, 80 total deer. They were bigger then, also older it was nothing to have a big buck be 6-8 years old. Now they are mostly 2 and a half to 3 years old. Nice racks and small deer. Very few living to 8 yrs old. They get a lot bigger body when they do. Tony said it best quit shooting 4 pt and under. The reason for more younger is the baiting.
The young spikes and four pt go to bait piles where not many big bucks do. Expecally during ruting.
Cindy Childs
Bois & Grills Club
Bois & Grills Club

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2007 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We had success this year with both a 6 pt and a 7 pt (one is too small to count but we'd like to count it as an eight). One thing that was different this year over the last ten years is that deer management had nothing to do with deer...and everything to do with coyote management. We heard coyote's once in October, none in November, and saw not one since August. In past few years we not only heard them but saw them, and the deer were more nervous and jumpy. It has been since 1997 that we had as many fawns out by us (east end Mary's Lake) as this year, we keep a log book last week I went back through from 1996 on. With the decline in coyote, the fawns survived. We also had more pats, squirrels and rabbits! We hope for an average winter, not too hard, not too wet, just average, and perhaps our herd on BBI will recover some of it's better times. In passing, we never tell people that hunting on BBI is good. Wink we don't want to encourage more hunters to join us!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Bois Blanc Island Site Forum Index -> Conservation Corner All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: