Home The Bois Blanc Island Site
An interactive site for islanders and island lovers

Home  ::  Forum  ::  Album  ::   Calendar  ::  Memberlist  ::  Usergroups  ::  Register 
 Profile  :: FAQ  ::  Search  ::  Log in to check your private messages  ::  Log in 

Ice Conditions 2008
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Bois Blanc Island Site Forum Index -> Idle Chit Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mikewhite
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 11:37 am    Post subject: Ice Conditions 2008 Reply with quote

Here it is, January 15, and no ice. The water temperature of the lake has reached that point where ice can form though. This morning it was only down to 15 degrees, but ice skimmed over most of the calm south channel. With colder temperatures coming, there may be a chance that the channel will freeze. Wind is the factor that will determine if the ice stays or goes in the upcoming cold spell.
doug miller
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting. The winter started out cold and I thought it looked good for the ice to form. But I assume you had that same warm spell we had in the middle of the state and it delayed the ice.

Just curious, Mike or anyone else. What was the earliest you remember an ice bridge forming as well as the latest one stayed?
mikewhite
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2008 9:46 am    Post subject: Earliest I remember Reply with quote

The earliest I recall is 1990. Lani was teaching her first winter on the island. I was still working and living in Kalkaska and flew to the island for Christmas. Victor Babcock and I met Plaunt out in the middle on December 23rd. Opinion was that the ice was 6" thick and good enough to put in a tree line.

I have mentioned before that when it gets cold early, it appears, that cold, is robbed from the middle of winter. A study should be made to see if it is true.
Kevin Gibbons
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2008 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can remember once crossing the end of december. The average used to be the 2nd week of january. It used to go through March and sometimes first part of April. I remember one year crossing the ice to town and starting up the North Star Ferry and going back with it. It used to be how rough it was going to form, not if it was going form at all. When I was in high school I used to cross from stony pt rd which is the city limits. That is where I lived in high school. It was straight accross the lake from my house on the island. I could run over to my parents house and have dinner and come back. Sometimes I would stay the night on the island and come over in the morning. It only took about 5-10 minutes.
doug miller
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2008 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To those of us who only get to spend a small amount of time on the island, your description of your times on the island are not only fun and interesting to read, but also a bit melancholy-producing--ah if we could spend a lot more time there and had the same history as many of you.
BBIBABS
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2008 7:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey do any of you Pines School people remember listening to the CB radio with Mrs. Anderson as the men walked checking the ice each year?
Spartan-1
Pines Paramour
Pines Paramour

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2008 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BABBS,

I remember that like it was only 30 years ago!!! That was usually just before we listened to Paul Harvey and his...GOOD DAY... and the rest of the story speach. AS I recall right after you would talk one of us into jumping off the slide and bloody our lip...YEAH...great fun.

I can also remember one bright young fellow driving head long into MORGAN POOLE's little beach house wall with his really cool 400 SKIMMER!!! Seems you and another super smart fella by the name of...SPRAY used to come over for dinner on your sleds also, but not until spring and there was 4" of water on the ice.

YOU my friend... were NUTTY!!!
BBIBABS
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok Spartan-1 you seem to know a lot about me except it was a 300 SKIMMER and Ted was probably driving. Who are you? I looked you up on the member list and you didnít give any information.

Tony Babcock
Spartan-1
Pines Paramour
Pines Paramour

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2008 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kevin,

This is pathetic...
Could you help Tony out a little bit!!!
I might be the guy that choked out Pat Spray's racer on the East End with that rocket arm snowball to the carb.

Go GREEEN!!!
John Elmer Engel
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2008 9:41 am    Post subject: Very Interesting Reply with quote

Doug, I agree. These conversations and insights are very enjoyable to read. The visual images are fantastic.
mikewhite
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2008 5:55 pm    Post subject: Changing Ice Reply with quote

I woke up this morning with pack ice trapped by the west wind in Sand Bay. The temperature was 7 and remained at 7 all day, west winds continued. The ice now, at dusk ,has filled the whole south channel and the temperature is 6 degrees. So the visual out my window has gone from water to ice in one day. If the wind dies out tonight and the temperature continues down as predicted, I should see ice tomarrow too.
veva
Frequent Floater
Frequent Floater

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2008 10:01 pm    Post subject: Changeing ice Reply with quote

Thanks Mike ,A lot of us watch for your reports. They are much looked forward to. It looks like you may get several days of fairly cold weather.
theeislandgirl
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 2:07 am    Post subject: Ice Reply with quote

Thats so right Kevin .....
About the ice coming in and going out .. I lived those days too ...

It has changed so much ....

When I was a kid going to school over there we had a ice rink out front of the Calkins place before it burned down ... Do you remember that ??? We had tons of fun until my mom slipped on the ice and hit her head and got a bad headace ...She was fine the next day so the worry was over and I could go back being a kid...

Do you remember when you first started school Mr. Dunbar asked you to come up to his desk for a reason I do not remember ... but you walked up there rubbing your boots together with each step and you had your tongue twisted around .. it took you a while to get there ...
You were so cute !!
Remember that ??
mikewhite
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 1:34 pm    Post subject: Jan 20, 2008 Reply with quote

It is starting to look a little more like winter.

http://www.bois-blanc.com/phpBB2/album_page.php?pic_id=1940
Kevin Gibbons
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tony it was a 400 skimmer they didn't make a 300 sorry. And spartin1 is Scott, come on you should be able to figular that out.
BBIBABS
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didnít know Scott lived in Davison near Flint. I think your right it was a 400. Some one else had a 650. I think it was Dick Sheets. I about peed my pants when Scott through that snowball right into Pat Sprayís carburetor. Now that was a shot.
Kevin Gibbons
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tony you sure you have the right spartin there is a spartin and a spartin-1. You guys are the ones that grew up togather over there on the island, you should be able to know by what he is saying though. Oh by the way Scott How did the Cowboys do in the playoffs?
mikewhite
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 11:37 am    Post subject: Conditions on 1/21/08 Reply with quote

From an airplane it looks like the ice is in, shore to shore. A ship went through it last evening, but that knit back and froze. Baring a stong wind, this may be it. Wait for it to thicken. Do not cross. If it holds, it will be smoother then last year for most of the way.
Spartan-1
Pines Paramour
Pines Paramour

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WOW!!!

Kevin, just keep getting those jabs in and we will see you when the Cowboys win next YEAR!!! I could have swore that I was watching the 2006 Michigan State Spartans Play the Giants that DAY!!! They played almost as smart and heartless...you know me I'm no Wolverine fan, I will just keep routing and try not to WINE too much and move on from here. My therapist tells me time heals all losses, WE'll SEE!!!

And thanks for helping BABS out there... I knew it was a 400, maybe when he hit POOLE's wall he bumped his head. That would explain a lot. Davidson/Flint??? What the...

HEY, I've got some island history that none of you will be able to recall........

Remember when they paved the airport??? That was quite some time ago, seems like just yesterday.

Hey how about that time Ray Plaunt and BBIBABS were tending bouys in the STRAITS and dropped the air sled through the ice for an anchor!!!! Too bad they missed the channel by 1/4 mile. Thanks for all the laughs Tony and for teaching me to ride my snowmobile like I stole it...my wife really appreciates that!!!

Saw a really cool bumper sticker today...

Monica's ex-boyfriends wife for President!!!
Classic!!!
Kevin Gibbons
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scott

Don't feel to bad about the cowboys I was backing Green Bay and they got beat by the same team. Bret and Tony just couldn't get it done. There is always next year although Bret is starting to get pretty old. I think this was his year.
mikewhite
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 12:08 pm    Post subject: Ice as of 1/23 Reply with quote

Another ship has gone through and it is rumored that it was the new Mackinaw. That is after the Coast Guard was asked to shut the channel. The channel will officially close Saturday morning.

Mike Harrington and I went out a few hundred yards in front of Curt VanVoorhees place. We spudded through a smooth spot and it was about 3 or 4 inches. We went a little further to another smooth spot and I could stomp hard and crack the ice. We went home.
Kevin Gibbons
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike

I can't believe you went home. You suppose to keep walking until you go threw with your sput in one wack.
jnye
Weekend Worshiper
Weekend Worshiper

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It seems my parents made a good choice getting me away from you two trouble makers (Scott and Tony) - Ben and I were in that school for probably 4 months - and we will never be the same... I think Tony did knock me off the slide.

Think of all I could have accomplished...
mikewhite
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 12:07 am    Post subject: Whacking Reply with quote

Kevin, I'm not going to let you lead me into a discussion on whacking. Embarassed
Kevin Gibbons
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike where is your sprit. Well you must of gained at least an inch of ice last night. From the T>V> tower east of Cheboygan all you can see is ice. Might be only an inch thick but looks nice to see it. Remember Mike let the heaviest guy go first. And give him the most to carry.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Bois Blanc Island Site Forum Index -> Idle Chit Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 1 of 7

Jump to: