Home The Bois Blanc Island Site
An interactive site for islanders and island lovers

Home  ::  Forum  ::  Album  ::   Calendar  ::  Memberlist  ::  Usergroups  ::  Register 
 Profile  :: FAQ  ::  Search  ::  Log in to check your private messages  ::  Log in 

Remembering Bois Blanc before electricity.....
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Bois Blanc Island Site Forum Index -> Island History
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Islander
Stone Skipper

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 1:00 pm    Post subject: Remembering Bois Blanc before electricity..... Reply with quote

Do you remember the Island before the use of Electricity?????[/b]
Kevin Gibbons
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes I remember generators and I remember hauling buckets of water and I remember out houses every day and the cold in the winter. I remember when they cut the power line for the electricity. And did that make some good hunting for a while. I also remember in 1966 when we got our first snowmobile.
mikewhite
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 7:02 pm    Post subject: The lamps Reply with quote

One of the things I was proud of was my ability to blow out a kerosene lamp from about 6 or 8 feet away. It came in real handy when you didn't want to get out of bed to blow the lamp out setting on a table some distance away.

Another lamp trick was lighting cigarettes at the top of the chimney on an Alladin lamp. I wouldn't do that though because I didn't smoke. Rolling Eyes
Islander
Stone Skipper

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 8:47 am    Post subject: Remembering Bois Blanc before electricity..... Reply with quote

We didn't have a generator, just candles, oil lamps, a wood burning cook stove and the fireplace for heat.
Later there was the miracle age of Propane with the cooking stove, frig and lights in every room.
We carried water from out in the lake to use for all purposes as it tested more safe to drink by the State of Mi. then the well.
We spent a good amount of time on bikes on the road which was a single car path with Daisys and Wood Lilies growing down the center.
We'd go for a ride in the old Model A and see at least 30 deer in an evening.
We'd go to Marys Lake and quickly catch 30 perch for dinner.
These are some of the Memories I have.
Kevin Gibbons
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike an addalin lamp. Most people don't know what they even are. I remember when they were the best after the regular kerosene lamp which wasn't as bright. But lighting them without touching that mantel was a trick, when I was a kid. Then came the overhead propane lamp with a mantel and that was bright at least we thought so. I also remember my mother washing clothes with an old wash machine with a gas engine on it and an old ringer washer.
Islander
Stone Skipper

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 10:27 am    Post subject: Remembering Bois Blanc before electricity..... Reply with quote

We washed our clothes in a large tub of hot water and used a scrub board and then carried them to the lake to rinse. We always had a large raft and would take it out from the shore and rinse our clothes.

I only remember one phone on the island and I think it was at Andersons (?)and we only asked to use it when it was a necessity.

Do you remember the summer storm that put the Boise on it's side? Year? Two men unboard??????
mikewhite
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 10:44 am    Post subject: The old days Reply with quote

Kevin, yes those Alladin lamps were touchy. So were the mantels on the gas lamps. You know it is a wonder more places didn't burn down due to those hot lamps. I hated the harsh light given off by the propane lamps. Propane Servels [spelling?] sure was a step up from ice boxes, but when they made soot, yuck!

I wonder if there are a few people left who remember the Pet gas brand. I recall getting 100 pound tanks from Gene Babcock for $8 and I'm a new guy compared to some.

The "higher class" in later years, who could afford generators, would start them at dusk and they would be turned off shortly after 11 pm so they could see the local 11 PM news on TV. So in the evening all you could hear was running generators.

One of my big memories is watching your mother wash cloths in a washing machine out in the middle of the yard. She was using a piece of drift wood to put in and take out the cloths, the reason being that for some reason the whole machine was electrified. If you touched it, you would get a really sharp poke. Of course, I had to touch it to see if she was right about that.

My Grandmother couldn't tromp down hard enough on her petal to start the engine on her washer. She always had to have help with that. Water was hauled from the school pump across the road back to her place, using wash tubs, and heated on a wood stove in the shed.
Kevin Gibbons
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As far as the phones go there was a couple phones on the island one was Andersons one was McDonald and one was Ray Plaunt. I also remember the old crank phones that we had and the other was at Plaunts and I don't remember any one else. We had a telephone cable run on the ground all the way to there house a good mile. This was before CB radio's. When we started using CB radios it made it a little easer to communicate with the rest of the people on the island. Everyone ended up with a CB radio that lived on the island. And each person was given a number from there cb liciense and everyone on the island knew everyones number by heart. This was a big step for the islanders. These radio's were used for everyyhing in regards to communication. It kind of open the island up to cheboygan. We even used to order groceries by CB Radio.
Islander
Stone Skipper

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 1:29 pm    Post subject: Remembering Bois Blanc before electricity..... Reply with quote

I have never heard about the CBs being used on the island.....spend alot of time comparing memories with Bunker Clark and he never mentioned CBs either.
Kevin were you born and raised on the island?
Islander
Stone Skipper

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 1:59 pm    Post subject: Remembering Bois Blanc before electricity..... Reply with quote

Soooooo sorry....I should have typed..... that I spent time sharing memories with Bunker Clark.
The CB usage must have been quite a break thru in communications.
Kevin Gibbons
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Islander I don't know who you are but you can't be part of Bob-lo history by asking if I was born and raised on Bob-lo , you would know. To give you a quick run down My father and Grandmother and grandfather moved to the island in 1923 for good. I belived my Mothers family the Babcocks moved there in 1925. I was born in 1953 and lived and grew up on the island. I went to school K-8th grade on the island. I was married on the island and livied there, and started Bois Blanc Island Ferry in 1975 sold it in 1989. Sorry about you not knowing about the CB Radio's, they were a big part of the island history in the 60's.
BBIBABS
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kevin Gibbons, never heard of him. As for that Spartin-1 now you can tell he's from the Island, just a little slow like me. Still thinks there are cowboys and idians out there.
veva
Frequent Floater
Frequent Floater

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 7:56 pm    Post subject: BEFORE POWER Reply with quote

Al smith also had an early phone becouse of his job with the conservation department. Those old crank phones were special. Everyone knew when someone got a call. Each phone had a diffrent number of rings.Seems better than all the cell phones now days.
Kevin Gibbons
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Veva you are right Al Smith did have a phone. You know he used to stop me every morning when I was walking to school and ask me to spell cat or dog. Then he would drive away, the thing that I remember the best is that he would never give me a ride no matter how cold it was. Maybe he couldn't because he always had the conservation truck but that didn't mean anything to me. The only one that would give me a ride once in a while when it was cold or the wind was howling would be Bert Gahn in the county truck.
mikewhite
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 11:54 am    Post subject: Slack Reply with quote

Give that guy or gal a little slack Kevin, he/she might have been from the East End back in the 50's and a "resorter" to boot. Islander might try giving us a few more details about his/her experiences.

Last edited by mikewhite on Wed Jan 23, 2008 11:57 am; edited 1 time in total
Kevin Gibbons
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike

You were talking about the kick start washer mortors. I threw out my mon's from our shop that I cleaned out last summer. Or Bill Graves got it , he got a lot of old things that we had in there.
mikewhite
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 11:59 am    Post subject: Bill Reply with quote

Ya, he can use stuff like that, having no electric, and he can get it going too.
Kevin Gibbons
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike about giving the islander some slack,there is no problem with that. I didn't mean that as sarcastic. But as far as knowing people on the island I new everybody in the 60's and 70's and 80's. I was a little young in the 50's. As far as the West end I can remember when Charlie Jutnun (spelling) and Peg Burtin was the only ones out there in the summer. Englewood was the nearest cotage from the west end then nothing all the way to Bibles. As far as the south shore there wasn't anytinng I think all the way back to sand bay.
Islander
Stone Skipper

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 4:22 pm    Post subject: Remembering Bois Blanc before electricity..... Reply with quote

I believe I have history on the Island.

My memories of Bois Blanc began mid summer 1947. After that summer we lived on the island late May until Labor Day every year thru the summer of 1960.
From that time on I've spent many weeks every year during varying seasons on the Island.
Now you've made me curious. Does 60 plus years on the Island give me History, make me a Resorter, or am I a ____________? I know that I am not a Newbie. Your opinon would be appreciated.

Now I've strayed from the Topic. When I posted this topic I had hopes of jogging peoples memories of early times on the Island there must be more memories.
BIG K
Hawks' Haunter
Hawks' Haunter

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kevin did Bert tell about old lady wheeling who had funny feeling or any other good storys. When we would be riding somewhere he would come up with some of the best. Then he would say dont tell you mom
mikewhite
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 12:33 am    Post subject: Ice House Reply with quote

To get back on subject, how many remember the ice house in the Pines. It was just east of where the phone tower is now. There also was one down just east of the "new" dock along the shore.

When I visited my grandparents in the summer, I would go with my grandfather, Fay Calkins, and get a block of ice every day. It was my job to scare the snakes away and dig down into the sawdust and find a block of ice. Grandpa had ice tongs and did the job of lifting the ice up out of the sawdust and carrying it to the old truck.

So, I was on the receiving end in the summer. Does anyone have any storys about the production end of the operation in the winter?
Islander
Stone Skipper

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 12:40 am    Post subject: Remembering Bois Blanc before electricity..... Reply with quote

There was an ice house on the East End....opposite side of the road of the Briggs place I believe.
Kevin Gibbons
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Ice house was Straight in on shore from the end of the dock. I can't remember them packing ice only stories I used to hear. I remember hunting rabits a lot around the old ice house. You could still see the remains of it just a few years ago, I don't know if you can now. My dad had an old boat that was also down by the ice house. The remains was part of the old bow. Now Islander what I see if you come during the summers for all that time what is the difference of being an islander or a summer person. I come from the island lived there year around for many years but do not now, I live in Cheboygan, I don't belivie I'am considered an islander anymore. Although it is a lot easier living the winter over there now then it used to be. It still takes a special person to live there in the winter. Now I loved it but for work I moved to Cheboygan, also I don't believe that my wife could take it. Just not being able to get to Cheboygan when you plan on it would stop her.
Kevin Gibbons
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Islander I also wanted to say I don't think you are going to get a big responce on remember before electricity. There isn't many on this site that was here before electricity. There is a few. And I believe there were only a couple year arounders. Clover, Connie Faye, and myself. Don't get mad if I missed somebody.
Spartan-1
Pines Paramour
Pines Paramour

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SOOOOOOO...

Not many remembered way back when they paved the airport...

I do remember that ice house by the tower, I used to help Tom....

Man can't remember his last name (Hell getting OLD) Uncle Tom's Cabin.

He had two really neat old time cars, great shape, etc. whatever happens to those awesome old cars on BBI. MCafee's had an old ford station wagon that still looked new in 95'

BBIBABS do you recall the time when Mark thought we could jump the pile of snow at the Township dock. Hung that sucker up about six feet in the air, Al Hoffman said leave it till spring it was just too stuck to get out???

And how about that awesome time my bike just fell right out of your truck into the DUMP...

JNYE...you are right it was all BABS Fault...

YEAH...Good times.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Bois Blanc Island Site Forum Index -> Island History All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: