Home The Bois Blanc Island Site
An interactive site for islanders and island lovers

Home  ::  Forum  ::  Album  ::   Calendar  ::  Memberlist  ::  Usergroups  ::  Register 
 Profile  :: FAQ  ::  Search  ::  Log in to check your private messages  ::  Log in 

Remembering Bois Blanc before electricity.....
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Bois Blanc Island Site Forum Index -> Island History
View previous topic :: View next topic  
blue72
Lake Mary Muse
Lake Mary Muse

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Probably best left in the drawer with the Saran Wrap. Hey I call every time I'm in Port Huron. Are you screening your calls again? Maybe by the time we meet again, I'll remember.
jnye
Weekend Worshiper
Weekend Worshiper

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ALUMINUM FOIL??? I need to remind myself not to go out with any of your guys. Sheesh.

Keep up the banter... you are making me chuckle.
BBIBABS
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Fri Feb 29, 2008 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You see my parents are a little older than some of yours. That was before ribbed condoms.
Spartan-1
Pines Paramour
Pines Paramour

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GERRRRRR

ROSSSSSSSSSS!!!
theeislandgirl
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 5:55 pm    Post subject: BIRITHDAYS Reply with quote

Lets see where were we ???

Oh okay we are back on track ..

Island living before we had electric

Today is my birthday . this special day brings back memorys of my Birthday parties on the island ..

Gas Lamps were hanging from the middle of the kit. celling when I turned 12 ..at my Grandpa and Grandma house .. They were very bright .. Too bright ..I think my mom and Grandma liked them because they did not have to watch us kids all the time around those lamps on the table for fear we may tip them over ...

My Grandmother Ila Calkings made the cream for the old ice cream maker that we had to crank by hand ... my brothers went on down to the shore to get the ice then the fun started ! ... it took awhile before the cream was cold enough to be called "ice cream" ..my brother Dave would put his foot on the top of the crank to hold it down .. when it was very hard to turn the crank we knew the ice cream was done .....
The ice cream was very tasty !.. There is no ice cream around like it !!
My Grandma had a pretty large kit. .she had a couch ,chair, rocking chair and a nice round table and chairs in there .. there was plenty of room for everybody .all was welcome .one year Tommy Babcock was there and he took his turn too cranking that ice cream maker.. he was always full of fun and we were glad he was there ..

I got my first pair of Bean Boots from L.L.Bean when I was 12 years old !! It was the best gift ever !

So much fun with no electric !!
If only My Grands knew life before ELECTRIC !!
mikewhite
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 7:34 am    Post subject: Happy Birthday Reply with quote

Happy Birthday! I won't tell how young you are.

Boy, the Bean boots bring back memories. all the grown ups on the island had them and all the kids wanted them. We are sooo lucky to have memories like that. Al & I got Bean boots too. We wore the bottoms off pretty fast. Then you sent them back to LL Bean and they installed new bottoms for a fair price. Only problem is that I outgrew mine or I might still have them. What was the salve that we put on the leather uppers to make them last?

Do you also remember how those bright gas lights would draw every night time bug there ever was to the kitchen windows until they were completely covered with them. Remember those great big moths?

I was there one time for a "party". Maybe it was a gathering of people waiting for the smelt to run in the middle of the night. We cranked up some ice cream. I could bet money that Pet condensed milk was used to make it.

Parties are a lot different now and also the objects that kids desire to have.
BBIBABS
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 7:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not as old as you 2 farts (we had electricity) but I have some fond memories of ice ream making over there also. Good memories of family gatherings at that old cabin.

I remember one time Dad going over to tell the boys to turn down the radio and it was 3 or 4 of them playing guitars and singing. Now that was funny.

I thought the Plaunts were the only ones that could afford the Bean Boots. Laughing I always hat the freeze you but off kind of boots, until Twigg started to bring down the bunny boots from Alaska. I still have the pair that Mom and Dad got me back in high school.

You are one person to the world, but you may be the world to one person.
blue72
Lake Mary Muse
Lake Mary Muse

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The island without 'lectricity? Sure, that's how we got BBIBABBS
blue72
Lake Mary Muse
Lake Mary Muse

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As for the leather uppers, the stuff we used was bear grease. Of course when you guys were using it , it probably came right from the bear
BBIBABS
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just because there wasn't electricity doesn't mean my parents were don't the nasty. :censored:

NOW LOOK AT WHAT YOU MADE ME THINK OF YOU FOOOOOOOOL.

blue72
Lake Mary Muse
Lake Mary Muse

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tough to unring that bell Cool
theeislandgirl
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2009 12:47 am    Post subject: ll bean boots Reply with quote

Mike and Tony
It was fun hearing your memories of the "partys" at Grandpa and Grandmas house .. Yep..it was Pet Milk and I am sure it was Pet Gas that Grandma used to heat the cream for ice cream ..

I do remember all those bugs and huge moths clinging to the windows !!
I had forgot that ..you jarred my memory !
Those bright lights did bring them all in .. that was a big downfall of those lights ..BUGS and lots of them !!

I agree Mike we are sooooooo lucky to have these memories ! ..

I did not out grow mine .. I took them to alaska with me .. A friend of my brother vye took them to run away in the mts. .... he was chopping wood and he hit my boot with a big swing of the axe instead of the tree and put a big cut in them and I never did get new bottoms for them ... I still have them though . Hmmm wonder if they would replace them after all these years ????
What a prize to have those Bean boots !!
Not sure what we used to keep the leather soft but I rermember what the can looks like ..

The Plaunts WERE the L.L. Bean Family back then for sure Tony .. and those bunny boots still are a feet saver for sure !!
BBIBABS
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 7:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not that this has much to do with electricity but I remember when I was young a few times that Dad shoved our drive way like in the middle of winter, when there was about 2'-0 of snow. Now our drive way is what 900 ft or so, it would take him all day or even more. I hat to shovel my sidewalk. Now that may was nuts back then. Must have had some sexual frustration or some thing. Laughing

theeislandgirl
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 4:18 pm    Post subject: SNOw BANKS Reply with quote

Tony when I was a kid and going to the pines school your Dad would by hand make a path from your house to the school and he would walk that path to work to the county shed each morning .. and I think he did it when my kids and you were going to school there too .. now that was alot of work !! The snow banks were very high and the path looked neat though the snow ..

My brother Dave told me that they are having a winter like we all knew it back when we were kids .... its normal but they are not used to it they say ..

Your Dad would get out there and play baseball in the spring and fall with us and throw the ball over the school house and do all the fun stuff kids liked to do .. hes a great guy !!
BBIBABS
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes he keep that trail open all the time he worked for the County. I remember it being taller than me even when I was 10 or so. Yes we are having one of thoughts winters, lots of snow and below freezing almost every day.

blue72
Lake Mary Muse
Lake Mary Muse

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That little trail should have it's own mile markers and historical markers. Should be marked on the map of the island. It was probably there as long as some roads. It never occurred to me that there would come a day when that path wasn't needed anymore. Unless the school marm was going for coffee at the Babcock plantation.Just something you expect to be there.....
theeislandgirl
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 3:50 pm    Post subject: yup Reply with quote

Yup blue 72 you are right about that path ..should have mile markers and historical markers LOL very true ! you come up with some good ones ..I like your humor when its clean humor ..
BBIBABS
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Old Blue clean??????? Just what have you been reading, have mist all the subliminal messages in his humor. Try reading his posts backwards and just see what you come up with. :censored:

blue72
Lake Mary Muse
Lake Mary Muse

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you. I thought no one had noticed.
Spartan-1
Pines Paramour
Pines Paramour

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

People, People, People...

Blue never once has added a dirty post to the sight, NOR has BBIBABBS, NOR have I, or...Well any of you cousins!!! It is just clean fun had by all here...folks. BABBS I think your spell checker thingy...mighta got a bit well off!!!

Baluegah...YOU go ON with your bad self...now that they got signs on the NORTH SHORE to keep people off the beach, let's just get signs everywhere!!! Theodore and I just spoke VIA two-way and weeza gonna meat on da izland wit our brides and halfa few bears down two da store wit missy an Larry dayz is good folk...BABBS sea ya der AEHH!!! WEA willz putt UP all DA Signs YA need!!!
mikewhite
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 8:48 am    Post subject: The Path Reply with quote

Getting back to the path.
Victor shoveled the path to get to work, but that included shoveling the path from the road to the school door. So, the kids and teacher at the school got a break for many years. Especially the part where he shoveled through the snow bank at the county road edge.

About the last year he shoveled before retiring, the school made up a certificate of recognition and thanks for all the years he had done that. He said, that was the first time he had ever been thanked for doing it.

Thanks again, Victor.
theeislandgirl
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 11:41 pm    Post subject: thanks Reply with quote

Mike I had never heard that so thanks for sharing and victor thanks for always being such a great neighbor , friend and part of the family !!

( victor is married to my moms first cousin )
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Bois Blanc Island Site Forum Index -> Island History All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: