Home The Bois Blanc Island Site
An interactive site for islanders and island lovers

Home  ::  Forum  ::  Album  ::   Calendar  ::  Memberlist  ::  Usergroups  ::  Register 
 Profile  :: FAQ  ::  Search  ::  Log in to check your private messages  ::  Log in 

Who was the first store owner?
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Bois Blanc Island Site Forum Index -> Island History
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kevin Gibbons
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 9:53 am    Post subject: Who was the first store owner? Reply with quote

Who was the first store Owner and where was the store located?
Dan Reynolds
$$ Site Donor $$
$$ Site Donor $$

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is becoming a great game of Island Trivial Pursuit. I like it! There's so much for me to learn. As a writer, I always wanted to write a book about it - a nonfictional historical account, not something designed to draw attention to BBI or create 'hype', just something to document the many recollections and photos in a comprehensive work. But I wouldn't know where to begin, and I hate the idea of bugging people with interviews and incessant questions. (I'm far better at writing than I am at talking...) So, the idea remains on the shelf, as it were. If I was going to do it, I'd want to do it as thoroughly as possible.

Somewhere, I have a copy of a "Bois Blanc Island History" document that was apparently written by a former schoolteacher on the Island. Obviously, I don't know the person and can't remember the name right now. It had a lot of interesting information - there's no way for me to verify any of it, but I suspect most of it was fairly accurate.

Thanks to Kevin and everyone else for going through their memory banks. Fascinating stuff. I only go back to '72, and only as a visitor at that. I remember the existing store being a Texaco with a bait shop, that's about it. Would love to have pics of it, and of the bar when it was Andy's Place.

Dan
mikewhite
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Within my memory banks, that are fading fast, I recall the Howe store, located where Russ & Cindy Riker now live. There were two Howe brothers and we had nicknames for them. I can't remember their first names. that place burned. The second one was in the right side of the bar building, and I don't recall who ran that. Have I got that in the correct order?

As you round the curve in the Pines there was a white boat house on the beach side owned by the Caulkins family. Mick Caulkins used to sell candy bars and stuff there when he was young and I was little.
Kevin Gibbons
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes Mike kind of. Clayton Howe had the store where Cindy's Riker lives know. The second one was Hawks Landing do you remember the Orginal name? The third Andy Anderson had one built on to the side of the bar. Saville closed it.
Kevin Gibbons
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike is going to know most of this stuff but Who was the first full time cop on the island? And who was the first full time county road employees? What was the guy's name that had the bar built and what was the name of the bar? Who owned Bob-lo Electric?

Dan to answer your question to who wrote the history that you have is Helen Crouch

She was the school teacher on the Island for a while back in the 50's
GonnaGetaway
Tavern Tennant
Tavern Tennant

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

what year did the first person have a house at the island? and who was it.
(After us white people stole michigan that is. Wink )
doug miller
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kevin:

In the summer of 1976, I was a camp counselor at a great YMCA camp on Torch Lake (Camp Hayowentha). That summer, another counselor and I brought 10 or 12 teenage boys to the island to hike and camp. We ate salty wet cardboard (though it was labeled freeze-dried meals) and spent time dreaming about eating real food again.

We did not bring a vehicle and I think it possible we came to the island on your boat--were you in biz in 76? Do you remember bringing campers from Hayowentha?

I also remember going to a store to get treats but don't remember where it was or what it was called--seems like it was near where Hawks is but not sure. Do you know where the store was and who ran it in 76?

Also seem to remember talking to an old woman on Bible Road and wonder if it would have been Mrs Bible. But again, my memories are not very clear and I don't know if she was still there in 76. Any idea?

By the way, although your political views are suspect, I consider you completely trustworthy as to BBI history!
mikewhite
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 4:27 pm    Post subject: The Country Store Reply with quote

People are not answering your questions very well, Kevin. I'll answer one for now. the original name of the store that is now Hawk's Landing, named that by Hal & Carol Mills, was Susan Fisher's Country Store. See the article:

http://www.bois-blanc.com/phpBB2/album_page.php?pic_id=1941

I wonder what year that was? Do you remember the big stink over who owned the land, Bibles or Fishers?
doug miller
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The article refers to Sen Phil Hart and I looked up something that said Phillip Hart became a US Senator in 1959. Given the reference to the space race, I have to think that article is from the early 60s--the picture looks like it would be from that time too.
mikewhite
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 5:09 pm    Post subject: First Homestead House Reply with quote

The first house is a little before our time. I'm going to try to answer it with a qualification. The leader of the pack of homesteaders in 1884 was John C. Blanchard of Ionia. a rich guy who was a Democratic candidate for lieutenant governor at one time. News articles, land patent stuff, and his own claim, is that he was the first homesteader on BBI.

Go to St. Germain's on the north shore of the island. Just east of them next door are found crude cement steps and a cement foundation. This is believed to be the location of the first [homesteader] cottage.

As a matter of fact, the Ionia folks got a jump on the Pines Resort people by a year or so. The East End can claim to be the place where it all began for the white people on BBI. A few other people from Ionia were Walkers and Vospers.
Kevin Gibbons
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doug I did run the North Star in 76 and Mrs Bible was there in 76.
Kevin Gibbons
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The second store was Built by Susan Fisher by boyne falls log homes. And it was named the Country Store. Nice article Mike. I tried to keep the questions easy. I knew you would know them Mike, Clover will also. Dan was right it was a texico station It started out being a Shell station.
theeislandgirl
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 7:00 pm    Post subject: b Reply with quote

Bob-Lo Electric was Franks place

I am guessing that Dan and his Dad spent some time there ..As Frank and John worked for Collins ..

Last edited by theeislandgirl on Sat Jan 26, 2008 12:07 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
theeislandgirl
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 7:06 pm    Post subject: I Reply with quote

I was there for the opening ...It was just like they said ... (Fishers Country store)

It was sure a blast for the island ...

I do not know who worked there when it first opened but I remember a older lady worked there she was Elisbeth Eagans Grandmother I liked her alot ...she was a hard worker

Last edited by theeislandgirl on Sat Jan 26, 2008 12:11 am; edited 4 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
theeislandgirl
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 8:51 pm    Post subject: d Reply with quote

Kevin ..Do you remember when the post office was a small building on the side walk in front of Caulkins ??? Laural maud was the post master..I would go down there and hang out ... it was fun...
j. munro-duncan
Frequent Floater
Frequent Floater

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remember going with my Aunt Phyllis (Brown) to the "post office", which was on the front porch of what is now a big yellow-vinyl sided house in the Pines. Not sure if that is the same post office theeislandgirl is speaking of.

I also remember going to "The Birch Shop". We'd each get a hamburger and then I'd get a big Banana Split ice cream for dessert. They also sold the Bois Blanc Island sweatshirt design with the deer and the pine trees.....That seemed to be the only shirt design for several years. It seemed everyone had that design at one point or another! It was small and cozy in there. I've often wished it'd open again so I could take my girls there for a dessert one summer evening. Nothing at all against Hawk's!!!! Just for a change of scenery and a bit of nostalgia from my fond young memories of BBI.
And memories of monarch butterflies..."
theeislandgirl
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 11:27 pm    Post subject: a Reply with quote

No, I was not talking about the same post office but it was where you said for years ..until they built the new one ..

I went to the birch shop too ... I was living on the island then too and the kids and i would go down there.. I spent alot of time there ...

Uncle Tom would come in sometimes and buy the kids ice cream cones ... he was a nice older man ..and we all called him Uncle Tom ..

yes you are so right about the sweart shirts ... we all had them !!

Glad you have your memories too.
theeislandgirl
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 11:43 pm    Post subject: w Reply with quote

Was it westcot the first cop ??
mikewhite
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2008 9:17 am    Post subject: George Westcott Reply with quote

I was waiting for others to take a stab at who was the first full time cop. I am pretty sure it was George Westcott, the father of Bill Westcott. He drove around a Red (and white?) Ford pickup that he owned. He had a big chrome siren mounted on it. He had his hands full with those who resisted the introcuction of license plates to the island at that time.

It sure was nice before that time for a teen. With just a little work, a boy could get a junk car running and with no licenses of any kind, no insurance, and usually no brakes, cruise all over BBI. As long as you didn't bother anyone, everything went great. If you did bother someone, you would get set in your place by that person or your parents or both.
boisblancgirl
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2008 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And yes I remember most all of this stuff.
Kevin Gibbons
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

George westcott wasn't a full time cop and wasn't paid for that possission I believe Marv Gahn was the first full time cop and paid for by BBI Township/ county
Kevin Gibbons
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The post office Connie is talking about was on the beach side of the road in front of McDonalds and Buckley's Now Kidders and Matt Kelly's.
jnye
Weekend Worshiper
Weekend Worshiper

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 11:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

are we still trying to figure out who owned the store in 1976??

We lived there then, and Doug Liedel owned the store and my mom worked there - Maureen Nye... that was the 1976/1977 school year, so hop that answers your question.

And we used to visit Mrs. Bible regularly.. so I know she was around that year as well.
jnye
Weekend Worshiper
Weekend Worshiper

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 12:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh.. and yes - it was right where hawks is now... It wasn't called Hawks then - I think it was the country store. It used to be a laundromat too... my brother would stick me in the dryers ...lol. We lived in one of the small cabins behind what is Kevin and Kathy's house now... then occupied by Glen and Mamie Gibbons. We would walk down the path to get to the store.

side note - I was a really sick kid, had scarlett fever twice... and the entire time we lived in Boblo when I was a kid... I was never sick. Go figure.
theeislandgirl
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 3:38 am    Post subject: cop Reply with quote

Wescott .. poor Wescott

He got the feel of things being the first cop ..

We portested againt it ...
I would have to get more details of the car Vye and
Lonnie had and who eles painted it but all I can remember names right now is my 2 brothers ..
westcott said we could not go into the bar and at that time there was no place for the kids to go All I know vye was one of those kids that had a car and drove with out a lis .. that was i guess the first days that they were cracking down on them ..
they wrote all kinds of things on the car .. I was a young mother watching what they were doing ..

I wonder now who really got Westcot going ... the board I guess ...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Bois Blanc Island Site Forum Index -> Island History All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: