Home The Bois Blanc Island Site
An interactive site for islanders and island lovers

Home  ::  Forum  ::  Album  ::   Calendar  ::  Memberlist  ::  Usergroups  ::  Register 
 Profile  :: FAQ  ::  Search  ::  Log in to check your private messages  ::  Log in 

Who was the first store owner?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Bois Blanc Island Site Forum Index -> Island History
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kevin Gibbons
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wescott had himself appointed at the county, the township didn't have anything to do with it. He was not paid or full time He did this on his own. The first full time cop was Marv Gahn.
boisblancgirl
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok we all got it that Mrs. Fisher was the original store owner. Does anyone remember the couple's names that ran it for her in the beginning? Yes Kevin, I know YOU know!!
theeislandgirl
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 8:41 pm    Post subject: westcott Reply with quote

Glad you got that ifo ..about Westcott ..thanks Kevin ...

I know I am one of the only active persons writting Or chosie not too about the Westcott days

It was the blast of the past and it should be recorderd so ..as it was a big Blast !!

I will put it to rest now ..
mikewhite
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 9:04 am    Post subject: Egan Reply with quote

Clover, was it Pat Egan and her daughter Elisabeth. I know that Pat put in a lot of hours working there.

When it started, it had boat stuff for sale. I recall them selling rope.
Kevin Gibbons
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike you are a long ways off. Clover they will never know this. Hint They were from Scotland.
boisblancgirl
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That was a good hint Kevin, and here's another............the guy would address all the young boys of the neighborhood with a "Wee" before their names. For example: Wee Gahn or Wee Gibby.
Kevin Gibbons
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2008 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh by the way Mike you have your Pat's mixed up. Pat Eagan never worked the store, Her mother Pat Malcom did for many years.
rockette
Black Fly Bait

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2008 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That would have been: Jim & Winnie! They were the greatest, ( at that time),-don't recollect their last name, but they were scottish, they did so much for everyone and I remember how much I loved their accent.
Kevin Gibbons
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2008 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

(Good Job) ther last name was Ward
Jim Krouse
Beach Glass Hoarder
Beach Glass Hoarder

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2008 3:38 pm    Post subject: Who was the first store owner? Reply with quote

Kevin ..Do you remember when the post office was a small building on the side walk in front of Caulkins ??? Laural maud was the post master..I would go down there and hang out ... it was fun...

Connie Fay I am posting another picture in the sharing album of the post office you are talking about...........take a look and let us know if it is the right one please..[/img]
shelby
Frequent Floater
Frequent Floater

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2008 7:27 pm    Post subject: Senator Phil Hart Reply with quote

Senator Philip Hart's wife. Janie, was a member of the Fisher family. Phil, a democrat, was considered the conscience of the senate. He was so admired by his peers they named the new senate office building after him in 1987. Phil he died of cancer in 1976. He and Janie spent many happy hours on Bois Blanc. Tragically, they lost a teenage son who drowned here.

I had the honor of knowing him and produced the radio spots for his first political campaign. Soapy Williams, our governor, asked me to review Phil's television performance and offer tips to improve his television presence. My response? I couldn't help him. He was absolutely the most natural performer before the camera, always down to earth, just himself.

Several weeks before Phil's death Janie held a party attended by friends including many members of congress of both parties. I happened to be in Washington and took advantage of the opportunity to be present. I told Phil I was proud to consider myself a representative of all his Michigan constituents so I could thank him for all he had done for us.

Who was Phil Hart? He graduated from the University of Michigan Law School at Ann Arbor in 1937. During the Second World War he served in the United States Army from 1941 until discharged in 1946 as a lieutenant colonel of Infantry. Phil was wounded during the D-Day assault on Utah Beach in Normandy. He was our lieutenant governor 1955-1958; elected as a Democrat to the United States Senate in 1958; reelected in 1964 and again in 1970 and served from January 3, 1959, until his death in Washington, D.C., December 26, 1976. He is buried in St. Anne’s Catholic Cemetery on Mackinac Island.[/img]
theeislandgirl
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 3:07 am    Post subject: jim Reply with quote

Jim, that is the post office !! I love these old pictures !!!
Thank you for sharing !!! I was looking to see who that was coming out of the p.o.

Again thanks and also I am glad you are back on the site !!
theeislandgirl
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 3:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jnye
I enjoyed hearing the details of Hart family
theeislandgirl
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 3:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry !Shebly ..it was you with all the Ilfo. about the Harts
Kevin Gibbons
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Phil Hart was married to Jannie Briggs which was Susan Fishers sister. Jannie still lives on Mackinac Island in the summer. Phil Hart was a good guy and down to earth, The last time I can remember him before he died was a birthday party that Susan Fisher through for him at her place here on the island. It was in the summer and Pete Fisher and I took turns pulling everyone on water skees. And we had a big bon fire on the beech.
Kevin Gibbons
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jim as far as the post office Yes I do remember that (barely) I do believe the little building was in front what now is kidders or kelly's. It got torn down some years ago. I also remember it being in a little building up by what was uncle Fay Caukins. Kinda of accross from the school. Across from Victor Babcock's road.
mikewhite
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The cement walk is still there in front of Matt & Liz Kellys. Frank Richardson got the building. It ended up behind his place where VanHorns now own. They used it as a tool shed.

Yes, the Post Office was located in a little building behind Larry Dunbar's trailer. Do you recall him teaching and running the PO at the same time?
Jim Krouse
Beach Glass Hoarder
Beach Glass Hoarder

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 10:13 am    Post subject: Who was the first store owner? Reply with quote

Quote:
Jim, that is the post office !! I love these old pictures !!!
Thank you for sharing !!! I was looking to see who that was coming out of the p.o.

Connie Fay, I think it was my Mother.

Jim Krouse
Beach Glass Hoarder
Beach Glass Hoarder

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kevin

I remember the post office when it was behind Larry's trailer.
I also remember the social hi-lite of the day was when the mail arrived. Small groups of people standing around enjoying the fellowship of other island folks

My faced got very red one day at this post office. I had received a letter from my girlfriend and everyone could smell the perfume she had put on it.....there was no end to the kidding that morning.
Kevin Gibbons
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remember Larry teaching and running the post office He was my teacher.
shelby
Frequent Floater
Frequent Floater

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kevin, You are absolutely correct. Jannie Hart is a Briggs and she is Susan Fishers sister. I had no idea she spent summers on Mackimac. I believe her home is in the Chicago area. She and Phil made a great couple.
theeislandgirl
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2008 5:24 am    Post subject: jim Reply with quote

Jim I am glad you told us that little story about getting a letter from your girl friend ... that was cute ...

and yes it was fun talking to everyone when we were waiting for our mail.

Mike you are so right about Frank getting that small P.O. building that he put behind his house ..I did not know what he used it for as I never went back there with the kids cause John tried to kiss me and I got scared and never went behind that house again ..!!

Kevin who was your teacher after Mr.Dunbar ???
after Dunbar left we had Sue Begal for a very short time and I remember Laur Maud for a short time then I guess we left the island .. and I bet it was Mrs. Anderson after that ??? so how many years did you have with Mrs. Anderson ???
Kevin Gibbons
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2008 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Before Ann Anderson there was a guy by the name of Pete Spellis who taught for one year.
Camgaroo
Black Fly Bait

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2008 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey there. This is Camille. Some may remember me, but most probably won't. My family owned the store for about 3 years. I was 14 when we bought it, so that had to be around 84-85 that we took it over. At the time we bought it, I believe it had just been called the general store. We gave it the name Hawks Landing. When my parents (Hal and Carol Mills), first visited the island, they were brought over by a family friend that owned property there. It was gonna be just a little jaunt over to visit for the day and that was it. Well, they went out to his property which was towards the west end I believe, and as soon as they got out of the vehicle, a hawk landed right in front of them. They then of course saw that the store was for sale and decided to buy it and make a go of it. We all thought Hawks Landing would be a perfect name for it. In fact, within that first year of running it, there was an artist who's family had a summer place towards the east end. I'm trying to remember the name....maybe Cox? They used to have a sign in front of their house with the family name on it...anyway, she painted a sign for us that turned out really beautiful. She was very talented. I'm sure that sign has been painted over since then. But I cannot tell you how happy it made me to go back to the island after 10 years or so and see that the name stuck. My most precious memories are of the island and I miss it terribly every day. I talk about it to anyone who will listen lol. I work at a nature center downstate near Howell and have met people that have visited the Island. Once we get talking about it, there is no end Wink In fact, I just found out the other day that one of the employees used to go there with his boy scout troop back in the 50's. His name is Bob Geke. He was a congressman at one time as well. We talked a very long time about the island and it made me even more "homesick"...... But, I thought I would add my two cents for what it's worth......take care everyone.
Kevin Gibbons
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2008 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Camille
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Bois Blanc Island Site Forum Index -> Island History All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: