Home The Bois Blanc Island Site
An interactive site for islanders and island lovers

Home  ::  Forum  ::  Album  ::   Calendar  ::  Memberlist  ::  Usergroups  ::  Register 
 Profile  :: FAQ  ::  Search  ::  Log in to check your private messages  ::  Log in 

Trip Report- 31 Jan to 2 Feb.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Bois Blanc Island Site Forum Index -> Conservation Corner
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RAWolinski
Black Fly Bait

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 12:16 pm    Post subject: Trip Report- 31 Jan to 2 Feb. Reply with quote

Greetings All,

I finally made it to the island for a few days during two months for which I did not have any previous data of my own. The trip was short, but I did manage to come up with a few species to help fill out my dataset. By completing my walking transects along Bob-lo Drive from Shelby's Insel Haus to Point Aux Pins on two days I came up a short list of birds. Each day varied by a few species- see a couple one day and not the other.
The bird list follows:

Black-capped Chickadee
Hairy Woodpecker
Downy Woodpecker
Red-bellied Woodpecker
Pileated Woodpecker
Mourning Dove
Brown Creeper
Golden-crowned Kinglet
Red-breasted Nuthatch
White-breasted Nuthatch
Common Redpoll
Common Goldeneye
Long-tailed Duck
Herring Gull

Judging from the posts to this forum I am missing a few species that are coming to feeders. Thanks to Mike White and Victor B. I was able to add a couple of species during visits to their homes.

I still have March records to collect, but at present have documented the presence of 150 birds on the island since 1995. I still have observations to enter from a trip in 2005 that may add a couple of more to the list.

My thanks to all who stopped and asked if I needed a ride while I walked the roads during my two and ahalf days on the island. Special thanks to those who opened their homes (and feeders) to me to make observations.

Cheers,
mikewhite
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 8:36 pm    Post subject: help Reply with quote

If you have birds coming to your feeder that Dick didn't see on his trip, please let him know about them.

Also, if there is anyone on the island that wouldn't mind if Dick came and watched your feeders, just let him know.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Bois Blanc Island Site Forum Index -> Conservation Corner All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: