Home The Bois Blanc Island Site
An interactive site for islanders and island lovers

Home  ::  Forum  ::  Album  ::   Calendar  ::  Memberlist  ::  Usergroups  ::  Register 
 Profile  :: FAQ  ::  Search  ::  Log in to check your private messages  ::  Log in 

Tom Shannon

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Bois Blanc Island Site Forum Index -> Idle Chit Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Erica
Frequent Floater
Frequent Floater

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 12:00 am    Post subject: Tom Shannon Reply with quote

When I went to my parent's house last Thursday to do my father's books, as I had for a couple of months since moving out, Dad was complaining of a shortness of breath. He had a doctor's appointment Friday, but insisted I didn't need to be there to answer the business phone. I told him that of course I'd be there. That's what family is for. I answered the phone so Mom could go with him, make sure he was okay, and know how to care for whatever the problem was. The doctor said it was bronchitis and gave him a prescription. Saturday Mom called, saying she was worried about him. Before I could get dressed, Sean called to tell me they had called 911. My husband Mark and I got to the house in minutes. Dad was surrounded by medics. I told him I was there, that I'd take care of Mom, he nodded. said "uh huh" through the breathing mask. They were gong to take him to the hospital, so I told him Mark and I would get Mom dressed and be right behind him. They took him away, we made a couple of calls to family, and headed to the hospital.

I think I knew when they took us to a little room that he was gone. My father suffered a anurism in his stomach. Once it had given way, there was nothing they could do to save him. He bled to death in minutes.

My father, my Daddy, Tom Shannon, passed from this earth about 1 o'clock PM on Saturday. I don't believe this hole in me will ever heal. So many of my beautiful memories of him are tied up with the Island. Beautiful memories are all I have left. I've gotten wise enough to recognise that beautiful memories are the greatest gift he could have given me.

I know this post is raw. I'm raw right now. I'm hoping I'll hear from all corners stories of my father that I can add to my own collection (like him getting a song on a nationally-syndicated radio show. He was so proud of that and I was so proud of him!) But that's not really why I'm posting.

My daddy seemed healthy. I seemed to have all the time in the world to talk and listen and tell him I loved him. I'll never be sure he heard me Saturday, but I know he heard me Friday telling him I loved him and that I'd always be there for him and Mom. Whoever you are reading this post right now, don't wait. Don't figure you can settle it tomorrow. Make your peace now. Tell those that you love how you feel. Don't let it go, thinking they know. The memory of you saying it in plain English could be what gets them through the toughest of times. If only one of you hugs your child and makes sure that child knows how proud you are, how much you love them, I know it would have brought a smile to my Dad's face.

I love you, Daddy. Sleep sweet. I'll keep my promises. Until we meet again, know you are in my heart.

Heather D. Cloete
Al's Sister

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm so sorry for your loss! Sad I hope you find the stories you seek and feel honored you feel safe among friends here to bare your soul and sadness..
BBIBABS
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry for you lose. We will keep you in our prayers.
jeff
Syrup Seeker
Syrup Seeker

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

heather,

me and family are sorry for your loss, he was a good man.
you and your family are in are prayers.

Jeff G.
Conis
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is no easy way to lose a parent… nor do you ever really lose one… My condolences during a difficult time…

C
Rich
Bois & Grills Club
Bois & Grills Club

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It sounds like he raised a great daughter.
theeislandgirl
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 2:21 am    Post subject: tom Reply with quote

Tom was part of my childhood years growing up on the island ...

I could not wait till all our summer friends would once again met at the old dock .. and Tom was one of them .. I am not sure how old we all were when we first met but it was long before I was a teen ager ...

I am saddened as I have lost one of my childhood friends ..even though it has been many years since I have seen Tom .. I never forgot him ...

I am so sorry Erica .. So very very sorry ...

~~connie faye ~~
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Bois Blanc Island Site Forum Index -> Idle Chit Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: