Home The Bois Blanc Island Site
An interactive site for islanders and island lovers

Home  ::  Forum  ::  Album  ::   Calendar  ::  Memberlist  ::  Usergroups  ::  Register 
 Profile  :: FAQ  ::  Search  ::  Log in to check your private messages  ::  Log in 

Gibbons
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Bois Blanc Island Site Forum Index -> Island History
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mikewhite
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 8:21 am    Post subject: Gibbons Reply with quote

The Gibbons name must be listed under Island History. There should be much to put under this heading. I will start with a picture.

A lot of people remember Luke & Peggy Gibbons. Peggy's name was Ida (Calkins) Gibbons. Her 1st husband was Jay Gibbons and they had a son named Glenn. Her 2nd husband was Jays brother, Luke. The Gibbons and the Calkins all came from the South East part of Kalkaska County.

In the picture Ida is holding a fish by the tail. Jay Gibbons and young Glenn are standing with her. Note the open air cook stove.
http://www.bois-blanc.com/phpBB2/album_page.php?pic_id=2040
Rosemary
Bois & Grills Club
Bois & Grills Club

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great pictures, Mike....so interesting how people are related and how long people have made the island their home.

"UNTIL ONE HAS LOVED AN ANIMAL, PART OF THEIR SOUL REMAINS UNAWAKENED"
theeislandgirl
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2008 2:51 am    Post subject: pic Reply with quote

Mike good of you to put this on here ....
William Weiss
Beach Glass Hoarder
Beach Glass Hoarder

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2008 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very Happy HI, Rob, I used to go to the Island when I was a kid, to work in the summer. Peggy, Mamie and I (Bill Weiss) painted the church one summer. and My Uncle Luke built the furniture in the church. I think that Bob Williams finished one of the chairs. We opened the cabins before the folks from down south arrived for the summer. I also drove an old gentleman around the island in his Dodge touring car. Uncle Luke put an addition on the Taylor Place and Peggy and I built the stone fireplace. I have a lot of memories about about the Island.
The last time I visited Glenn and Mamie we went out to twin lakes, just to look around, Victor was out fishing that day. I remember the ADA M was the ferry. Glenn operated a big steel tugboat. Bill LaToure (sp) built a boat on his property which was somewhere between the new boat dock and Packard point ( I think). The road from the Tavern back to Twin Lakes is on the property that was (or is) owned by the Gibbons family.
Kevin Gibbons
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2008 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike nice picture I'm not sure that I have that picture even. Hi to Bill Wiess Haven't talked to you for a couple years. How is Washington these days? Mike thanks for putting this on there.
William Weiss
Beach Glass Hoarder
Beach Glass Hoarder

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2008 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, Thanks Mike. This is a great way to gather family History. When I get back there the next time I would like to get togher wth you, Kevin and Loren. I have a lot more stories to tell. I was wondering about the Babcocks, Like what ever happened to Joyce, Shirley and I think I know where Victor is. Bill Laughing
Uncle Steve
$$ Site Donor $$
$$ Site Donor $$

Location: Big Rapids, MI and Eagle Ridge AKA Red Roof Inn (2006) ... East end BBI

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2008 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing Laughing Kevin, you look a lot like Jay.. Does anyone else see the likeness ?

Uncle Steve
theeislandgirl
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 12:06 am    Post subject: d Reply with quote

Bill

My Grandpa Calkins Fay D. is a brother to aunt Peggy ..
Glen lived with my Grandpa and Grandma Calkins at the stone house at the farm .. on M66 out of Kalaska about 12 miles
I have heard some cute stories about him !! Glen ....

Yes Uncle Steve .... I can see that Kevin looks like his grandpa .. never noticed that before ... this picture is great !!

Kevin ..it is good to see you post again .. I have missed your posts!!

Bill your name rings a Bell ...Bet we met a long time ago !!!!

Does Bob William still have his place on the island ?
does he come up anymore ??
William Weiss
Beach Glass Hoarder
Beach Glass Hoarder

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2008 6:53 pm    Post subject: Gibbons Reply with quote

Hi threisland girl,

I used to go to the island from my home in Grayling. My mother was Luke Gibbon's sister and I used to spend my summers on the Island after the war (WW2). I lived at the Gibbons place, in Grandpa's house (log Cabin). I see where My aunt Mamie (Kevin and Loren's mother) and LOoren's wife have passed away. I know that Luke and Peggy are buried in the cemetery on the Island. I was wondering if Glenn Gibbons is still alive. and then for a final couple of question. Do you know anything about Glenda (Gibbons) DeLaMater? The last I heard she and her family were going to move into Peggy and Luke's place. I also was wondering about Joyce and Shirley (Victor's sisters). There are a lot of relatives out here in Idaho, and it would be nice to tie them all together.

Bill
theeislandgirl
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2008 3:37 am    Post subject: hi Reply with quote

Hello Bill

Did your mom just pass away ? If your mom is who I think she is ..when I was in Michigan this summer I seen it in the Kalaska or T.C. paper and I showed my mother and brother ..for the life of me I can not remember her name right now !! We three all shared our memories we had of her ..

Glen gibbons has passed ..sorry

I did see Glenda this summer down at the new dock .. We did not have time to visit much but it was so good to see her .. I think she lives only part time on the island .?? not sure ...yes she has aunt peggy and uncle lukes place . I also seen Loren too at one of the square dances .. I was disppointed I did not see Kevin..

I did see Shirley and Audrey ..Joyce has passed ..

Idaho is just beautiful ! I lived in Nevada a long time so was able to visit the westen states ... and loved them all ! ..

There are Islanders that come on here that could add info for you ..

yes family unions are great !! wish you could get all your family together
William Weiss
Beach Glass Hoarder
Beach Glass Hoarder

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2008 5:55 pm    Post subject: Gibbons Family Reply with quote

Hi TIG. My mother Luella Weiss (Gibbons) passed away in Jun 2006. She is buried in the Grayling cemetery with her her Mother & Father, My Grand parents, Louise (Richardson) and Ashley Gibbons.

And your Mother is?

Not good news about Glenn, Mamie, Peggy and Luke However it will be in the family history. I was remembering that Glenn liked peanut butter and ate it by the tablespoon full. Mamie, Peggy and I painted the church at the Pines one year and Luke built some furniture for them and one of the chairs was finished by Bob Williams (I think).

Do you know of anyone that is doing Gibbons family history? I did get a loose leaf binder from Irene Gibbons, she lives in Barryton, MI. It wold be nice if we had a central place to gather the Info.

More later, Bill
theeislandgirl
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2008 7:26 pm    Post subject: hi Reply with quote

Well I guessed that wrong ..maybe this was your aunt that passed this summer ?? still can not remember her name

As far as I know no one is doing the gibbins history but I could be wrong..

My mother is Connie Maire (Calkins) feeley Twigg.. Her father is Fay D.Calkins which is Peggy Gibbons brother ..

I remember going to aunt Peggys and Maymes and they were heading out with thier paint clothes on ..

Does anyone out there know if Bob Williams still comes to the island ???

So Glen loved peanut butter ..its fun how we remember the little things about a person ...
Kevin Gibbons
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2008 11:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Bill and Connie It was Aunt Zoe that passed this summer that was bill's aunt. I'm on Glenda's computer right know. She said to say hi. She still livies in Wis. There is a gibbons reuion that is put on off and on Glenda and I have been talking about going but we haven't yet.
William Weiss
Beach Glass Hoarder
Beach Glass Hoarder

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2008 10:19 am    Post subject: Gibbons Reply with quote

Thanks Kevin, Aunt Zoe was the last one left, she was the oldest. Let's get Glenda on this website. She would have some stories to tell. They have that Gibbons reunion every year.

TIG I was also wondering about your husband John. Since there are Richardsons in our family tree. Bill
Kevin Gibbons
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2008 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bill

Betty White has some kind of a famaly history, I don't know how much on the Gibbons side but a lot on the Caukins side. She has sent me a note on Grampa Jay's brothers and sisters. I know a few but not all of them. Maybe you could email them and give them all the names and history because I know you no it. The ones she knows is Zoe Jay luke, luwlla, The only one that I can add is Mildred. And I know that I didn't spell your mothers name write. You can get in touch with Betty White through Al's Sister here on the site. Betty is her mother. Good luck
William Weiss
Beach Glass Hoarder
Beach Glass Hoarder

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2008 11:42 am    Post subject: Gibbons Family Reply with quote

Hi Kevin, Betty , and Al's sister

The list of kids that Ashley and Loiuise Gibbons had are:
Pearl L - b. 1885
Mildred - b. aft 1887
Robert - b. aft 1887
Myrtle - b. Sep 1888
L. Jay - b. 30 May 1890
Viola L. - b 25 Feb 1891
Roy - b. Apr 1894 D. Abt 1910
Benjamin Luther - b. 1 Jul 1898 d. 18 Mar 1980
Ada - b. abt 1899
Mack - b. abt 1900
Merle - b. abt 1901 d. abt 1914
Johnny - b. abt 1902
Zoe - b. 3 Mar 1908 d. ? 2007
Luella - 23 Sep 1914 d. 28 Apr 2006

That should help some. Of course with Aunt Zoe's passing that meens that they are all gone. Bill
William Weiss
Beach Glass Hoarder
Beach Glass Hoarder

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2008 11:49 am    Post subject: Gibbons Reply with quote

Hi TIG, I don't know if Bob Williams goes to the Island or not. He built a cabin out on the Gibbons property at the point on Twin Lakes. I think that his brother Dick made the road back there. All I remember is that there was a walking trail we used to use to go back there. We went out there one time and caught more pike than we could carry back to the house. I would like to get in contact with Bob if anyone has any information on him.
Bill

Last edited by William Weiss on Sat Oct 11, 2008 2:13 pm; edited 1 time in total
William Weiss
Beach Glass Hoarder
Beach Glass Hoarder

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2008 12:06 pm    Post subject: Gibbons Reply with quote

Kevin, I was remembering about a hunting trip , that your dad, baldy, Lily and I made to Drummond Island, I have a couple of stories about that. I was wondering what ever happened to your dad's rifle (35 Automatic I think) If its still around it may still have the spike as a firing pin. That was a real trip, I think we were luck to live through it. Very Happy Bill
William Weiss
Beach Glass Hoarder
Beach Glass Hoarder

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2008 2:29 pm    Post subject: Gibbons Reply with quote

Kevin, Betty White, is she any relation to Mike? Bill
Kevin Gibbons
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2008 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Bill Betty white is mike's mother too. Bob Willams still comes to the island mostely hunting season. his tele # is 989-681-3162. He has talked about you a lot over the years. Which you both being from Grayling.
William Weiss
Beach Glass Hoarder
Beach Glass Hoarder

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2008 4:08 pm    Post subject: Gibbons Reply with quote

Kevin, thanks for the info on Bob, him and I used to go hunting rabbits together. Always got our limit. I visited with Dick and Fritz (Bob's brothers) while I was in Grayling, one year.

Bill
Kevin Gibbons
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2008 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bill Glenda and I were talking about our famaly tree and she was wondering how far you got on the tree. And if we could get a copy of it.
William Weiss
Beach Glass Hoarder
Beach Glass Hoarder

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2008 5:11 pm    Post subject: Gibbons Family Reply with quote

Kevin, I have information from Eli Gibbons and Lovina Field. It appears the Ashley Gibbons (your Great Grandfather) was born 22 Feb 1863 in WI There are rumors that he was adopted. I know he is buried in Grayling MI. along with Louise Richardson your Great grandmother. Luke bought the cemetary plot and I was able to Bury my mother (Luella) At her mothers feet. The book that I have fills a 3 inch notebook. There are a few pictures. And I'm sure that I could provide you both with a copy. I tried to E-mail you at the address on this site. It didn't go through. My E-mail is horseshoelakewa@msn.com. Bill
theeislandgirl
Resident Royalty
Resident Royalty

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2008 5:25 pm    Post subject: wow Reply with quote

Bill, I do not know if the Richardsons you are talking about is on Johns side of his family or not ..I never heard those names but I will ask Johns aunt ...she would know ...

I was glad to hear that Bob Williams is able to still go to the island and enjoy it .......

Kevin ..could you send me glendas e-mail addy if she has one or her snail mail addy if she does not ??

I miss your posts, glad you are coming on again .. sorry we did not get to see you this summer ..

I was so glad to see glenda even if it was so short .. I would stay over night with her and she always was so nice and fun .. we made taffy a few times too ....

Glenda and Kevin ..The door of your home was always open to anyone ..
your mom was always cooking up something good ..I have fond and happy memories there at your home ..

Oh yes it was Zoe !! thanks for reminding me what her name was ..

P.S.
Kevin I have not been able to get to you either though your e-mail addy.
please send me your correct addy ..thanks !
William Weiss
Beach Glass Hoarder
Beach Glass Hoarder

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2008 5:49 pm    Post subject: Gibbons Reply with quote

TIG Maybe we should start a Richardson Topic. Here are a couple of the names that I have in this book, John Richardson married to a Elizabeth Appleton. They are my Grandmother's (Louise Della Richardson) parents. And They also had a son Arthur Richardson who logged off Bois Blanc Island. (So the story goes.) The information comes from records in Montcalm Co. the Stanton Public Library. Wheeeee isn't this fun. Bill
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Bois Blanc Island Site Forum Index -> Island History All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: